Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

A hike around the Moon

Post by davesellars »

Session: 13th Jan
Scope: 12" Dob

So, we've recently had over the previous few nights amazing seeing. I could tell late evening as the sun went down the stability of the air made for exceptional visibility over the valley seeing sharp details of objects in the distance. The moon which was already well up was rock solid and easy to pull out a lot of features naked eye...

Jupiter - At 5pm before Jupiter made its way below the roof of a nearby (unoccupied) house, I quickly collimated dead on with the cheshire. With the 10mm Delos giving 150x the planet was incredibly sharp, the middle bands showing an intense brown / orange tint - the brightness though making it difficult to see much further detail so I put in the 7mm Pentax XW for 214x which while I lost some of the colour of the main large middle bands allow seeing detail in the rest of the planet. The bands themselves showed some good detail with the swirls and eddies showing with some persistance. My wife joined me with my eldest daughter and they were quite blown away with the view! Unfortunately, the planet didn't take long to disappear below the rooftop... That reminds me to raise the dob a touch on a mat or two for tonight...

I decided to do a session of moon observation of which i'm a complete noob! :) Therefore I spent a bit of time on google and found a good page listing 12 targets:

https://astronomy.com/news/observing/20 ... ar-targets

I popped these targets in to Sky Safari and added a couple of others for good measure... prepared, it was time to start around 9pm.

For this part I started with the Pentax XW 5mm but quickly switched to a 4mm TMB Optical Planetary II giving 300x

Clavius - Not too far away from the terminator this was showing really clearly. Craterlets J,N,Y,C,D,T,X and K all very clear. I enjoyed the "route" walking down from this towards Tycho via Maginus.

Plato - Perhaps not the best (too much illumination?) for attempting to see the small craterlets however I could just about make out some pock-marks in the extremely flat featureless crater.

Archimedes - Nice visual on this spotting a couple of the craterlets. The nearby Montes Spitzbergen highlighted especially well.

Thor's hammer - Not the offical name (as it doesn't see to have one). However it a feature just to the south (normal way up) of Mons Piton that looks unmistakenly like a mallet. Not too difficult to see but it rather an impression on the surface that needs the sharpness and reasonable power to make out the shape well.

Back down to Plato it's a short stroll to...

Sinus Iridum (Bay of Rainbows) - OK, this feature blew me away. I think it may have been ideally situated(?) with the close terminator - following the length of the bay a great amount of features embedded into it particularly from Bianchini crater to Laplace D. One of the most awesome features of this bay was Promontorium Laplace - on the bay side of this cape starts looks to be a meandering valley which is of reasonable length. To the west of this (dob view) some "footprints" left in the otherwise flawless bay.

Copernicus - Obviously two central craterlets and ridges on the edge of the main crater. Montes Carpatus nicely detailed below this (dob view). As I strolled then towards the terminator from Copernicus I was intrigued by Montes Riphaeus which stood out beautifully illuminated although it does not appear to be a particularly prominent mountain range.

Rimae Gassendi - This one was spectacular - the closeness to the terminator really highlighted the depth of this feature and the central mountains inside the crater which there seemded to be 4 individual mountains although clumped together - The 3D effect was really quite outstanding.

Rimae Hadley - One of my extras as it was the site of the Apollo 15 landing site and I was particularly after seeing the "stream" that runs through that area. I'd got the area in view however the clarity was disappearing fast... I looked to see where the problem was and sure enough my secondary mirror had succumbed to dew. In fact, the air was so damp that everything was soaked with water. This feature will have to wait until next time!

I wrapped up at 11pm and warmed up inside while pondering to take out a refractor but it was also starting the freeze and I was getting tired (3 nights in a row!)
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: A hike around the Moon

Post by turboscrew »

Nice report, and thanks for the link. I've never really observed the moon, but maybe I should. It just seems to make more sense if you have some idea, what you're looking at. Maybe I take my binoculars with me when I go to sauna. I could take some looks between löylys.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice planetary/lunar session Dave! Moon is a great target. Even with poor seeing there is enough topography features to keep you busy. Did you use filters or stopped down the aperture?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:54 pm Nice planetary/lunar session Dave! Moon is a great target. Even with poor seeing there is enough topography features to keep you busy. Did you use filters or stopped down the aperture?
Cheers! No filters / stopped down aperture. Just the scope and the eyepiece! However, it was too bright with my 10mm and even the 7mm was a little too much, however the 5mm and 4mm dimmed the brightness sufficiently to be quite comfortable.
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

turboscrew wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:12 pm Nice report, and thanks for the link. I've never really observed the moon, but maybe I should. It just seems to make more sense if you have some idea, what you're looking at. Maybe I take my binoculars with me when I go to sauna. I could take some looks between löylys.
Thanks! I've kind of only observed the moon briefly before without knowing what I was looking at. It made a big difference to be prepared and have some idea of the targets and further details within or around them. I've certainly got a taste for it and will see to add the lunar 100 observing list to go through for these nights when the DSOs are a no go.
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Let's see about tonight. The clouds just rolled in. Maybe, just maybe, they roll out too.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Good luck! It's clear here as in no cloud however we have freezing fog. I can see the moon OK but after 3 sessions in a row I'm pretty worn and not up to fighting with the humidity affecting the optics!
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Another great session Dave, Lunar viewing can be a lot of fun as it is such a dynamic object.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Again Dave. Another great report and I am glad that you had some fun at the eyepiece lately. And, the moon is always a great treat with the plethora of wonderful features to see. And it was great that your wife and daughter got to have some nice views of Jupiter. Thanks for another well written report Dave and the best of wishes for clear night skies.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report on your lunar adventure Dave, and congrats on winning the TSS VROD of the day.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by The Wave Catcher »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the great report! As a 98% visual observer, I too observer the Moon often. Is this the feature that you indicated was Thor’s Hammer? I does look like it. :D

I captured this image at 0222 UTC on January 11, 2022, Monday night here in Texas.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

The Wave Catcher wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:54 pm Hi Dave,

Thanks for the great report! As a 98% visual observer, I too observer the Moon often. Is this the feature that you indicated was Thor’s Hammer? I does look like it. :D

I captured this image at 0222 UTC on January 11, 2022, Monday night here in Texas.
Many thanks!

Great image! Yes, that's it - It's pretty clear in the eyepiece as well if conditions allow.
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

helicon wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:32 pm Great report on your lunar adventure Dave, and congrats on winning the TSS VROD of the day.
Many thanks Michael!
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Nice report, Thanks and congratulations on the VROD!
The terminator on the Moon is always a rewarding subject.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Awesome report and thanks for the link provided I’m going to try and follow that tonight.
Great report thanks !
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session; great read!! Congrats on your VROD award!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein