Let's see your reports!
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

What To Do, What To Do?

Post by JayTee »

Last night at 6 p.m. it was dark and it was cloudy. It was yet another night of clouds that has been going on since forever. By 9 p.m. dinner was eaten, the dishes were done, and I had changed into my PJs and was ready to settle down for an evening of this Forum, astronomy apps, and a little TV (The Expanse). As I walked from my kitchen, with my hot cup of cocoa, to the TV room I passed by one of my windows that looks North. I always look out my windows because you never know what you're going to see.

This time I saw a star, wait, what? So I sat down my cocoa and went out my front door and the Eastern hemisphere of sky was showing stars. I then quickly moved to my back door and looked out that door and saw that the Western hemisphere of sky was showing stars. I checked the temperature and it was a frigid 19°F (-7°C). I'm in my warm house, with my hot cocoa, in my PJ's. Outside, I have two feet of snow and my driveway is a solid sheet of ice, so I'm uncertain of where I would even set up one of my scopes. I was unable to decide what to do because the drive to do some observing was very strong. But, I'm getting much less tolerant of the cold at this stage of my life. So, with some remorse I decided that my intended course of the Forum, apps, and TV is what I would continue to do, forgoing even a short time out with one of my grab-and-go scopes.

What would you do?
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What To Do, What To Do?

Post by Bigzmey »

I am going to hibernation when temps start approaching 0 C, so I would have done the same as you JT. However, when I lived in colder climate I used to observe with binoculars through windows from within the house during the winter. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Go clean some astronomy equipment or line up eyepieces on a table top like little toy soldiers! :)....maybe read some posts here or watch an astronomy video of some sort.
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

It wouldn't be the first time I'd quickly pulled thick clothes over my pyjamas and then proceeded to wrap myself up thickly. When I was young.......

Now that I'm a little older, I would prefer to observe with G&G (if possible) or binoculars from behind a window. Last time I did that was....last week.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Obviously, a roll-off is your summer project. As I am just a couple hundred away from you, all that was required was a day of lethargy then a day to shovel the foot path to the shed. Have been blessed with two clear nights, first in a month. Just a half hour out to set-up then back inside to drink hot coffee while the autoguider does its trick. But I was a bit warmer, last night only 24F and it took 4 hours before the corrector plate iced over on the guide scope.

What we do to see the sky!
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Finally had a session the other night. (Clear!)

Still, it was only 46 outside, hoodie weather still. I don't know if at this stage I could handle 19. So you probably did the right thing JT.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

JayTee wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:54 pm Last night ... saw that the Western hemisphere of sky was showing stars. I checked the temperature and it was a frigid 19°F (-7°C). ... Outside, I have two feet of snow and my driveway is a solid sheet of ice, so I'm uncertain of where I would even set up one of my scopes....
What would you do?
Easy...find a movie on TV and enjoy.

Whenever it snows I immediately shovel a patch for observing. Don't care how cold it is outside, but if the ground is not prepped then not a night for observing!
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

In my minds eye: I dress up as Nanook of the north, load my gear on the sled, ready the huskies & mush - off to a dark site just a bit slower than the clouds rush in. 🌧

In reality; stir my hot drink (Bovril in my case) retire to the lounge and surf some astro sites. :D
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I might have gone out for a while, when it's still warm.
Probably no observing, due to waking up for work next morning.
It's actually warm here now (about -5°C), but the mattresses also called as clouds seem pretty heavy.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

JayTee wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:54 pm What would you do?
I like the old addage:

"When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream, and shout!"

I'd observe from inside through a window if possible. That might be Orion for me tonight if I can stay awake until it's past the stupid larch trees.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

I hear you JT; I think with me too its age. 10 years ago 0 to -10F wasn't a big deal. Now? I won't sit out in that. Maybe some shots of the Moon if it's up, but that 2 minutes outside and gives me something astronomy-related to do for the next hour in the warm basement :D

Glad to know I'm not the only one!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Sophia and I are predominantly warm weather observers :roll:

We have on occasion got wrapped up and ventured outside into the cold but it is not as much fun :oops:

We are only admitting this openly now because this thread has been started and other people have been honest too :lol:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

I don't force myself to go out because the enjoyment is diminished by setting up and breaking down each time. It takes me about 5 minutes in marked spots but I redo my PA each time, which takes about 5 minutes. And taking flats and biases too, altogether I spend 3x5+1x2 minutes outside. If I had an observatory it would be 3x2 minutes. One improvement that keeps me fom havig to go outside is the low light webcam that I got, I can now see what my scope does for real inside - saves me time to go check for crashes.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images