A couple of good sessions 4th & 5th Jan.

Let's see your reports!
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

A couple of good sessions 4th & 5th Jan.

Post by davesellars »

Ooh, it's been a long time!!!

I promised myself this year I'd find the time to take advantage of every clear night to get one of the scopes out. Still, the UK doesn't actually see that many nights of clear skies so may as well try to take advantage of every one!

Session 1 - 4th Jan

Targets for this year are making a good effort on the Herschel 400 however I needed a couple of sessions to get back into it for findinig the fuzzies so I elected to start with the 120ST on an Alt/Az mount.

Started at around 9pm, Orion was already in a good position. Great without any filter using a Delos 17.3mm and showing consider nebulous detail with the 10mm however using an Astronomik UHC showed almost a complete arc of the entirety of the nebula which was a good result for this aperture. The running man was also clearly visible. I spent an inordinate amount of time just soaking up the detail from M42 - a good start!!!

Conditions being good and reasonable darkness I headed up the Flame Nebula which I have seen before but with much large aperture. Unfortunately, this proved to much - despite trying UHC, OIII and HBeta (although i'm suspecting the Explore Scientific Hbeta is far much more like a UHC than a Hbeta!). I also found it difficult with Alnitak being so bright thus probably the need for much larger aperture to concentrate on a much more limited view.

M78 without any filter was reasonably easy with a hint of the nearby NGC2071 as well reminded me to search out much more reflection nebula this year using the 12" dob.

M1 Crab Nebula was obvious with a small amount of detail but mainly wisp like. Will come back to this tonight with a bit of luck if the clear skies continue...

M45 - just because it's so obvious... Nice sight with the wide view of the 120ST. No nebulosity observed however.

Uranus - A tiny green / grey disc - it's been a few years since I last observed it!

M76 (little dumbbell nebula) - Slight small smudge, no filter necessary. Not a bad result as I remember this one as being a lot more diffiicult.

M31 / M32 / M110. M31 was a nice view with the Delos 17.3mm. M110 just about visible. I needed to get to this a little bit earlier on in the evening really to take advantage of it higher altitude.

M33 - failed as not really high enough and I've only had a good view of this before with larger aperture (i'm on optimist though so gave it a go...)

M97 Owl nebula easily visible without any filter although no detail and a slight hint of M108.

M81/M82 clear and good detail especially on M82 with the dark lane cutting across it.

Packed up around midnight - toes frozen (must remember to weat thick socks and boots next time!). I was happy with that to start the year and looking very much forward to getting out again with the larger aperture of the dob!

Session 2 - 5th Jan
Incredible... 2 nights in a row clear skies!!!!

After Tuesday night with the 120ST, I was itching use the 12" dob again. I'd had a session late afternoon for an hour and a half with my Wife and kids to see the moon , Jupiter, Saturn and Mercury with a small scope we took on to on to the park at the side of our house where we have an outstanding view to the South and West. The kids really enjoyed the session and the seeing was very steady! Had some great views of Jupiter even with only 100mm Heritage dob that I have setup on a tripod.

On returning from the planetary afternoon session I then set up the 12" Dob around 6pm and let cool down fully to start the session at 8:30pm

While it was fantastically clear, there was significant humidity in the air which seemed to be affecting the transparency a touch in comparison with the previous night.

M42 with a 28mm Maxvision showed a good amount of colour - a even managed to get some pink / red as well as green.

M43 - The running man showed good structure especially with the UHC filter

Flame Nebula - After midnight, I was able to glimpse a small outline of the dark lane - but was extremely difficult! I expected a bit more, but the sky didn't seem to my eyes as dark as it can get. Proper dark adaption was near-on impossible earlier on with various lights from surrounding houses on which may have been a factor. Not entirely convinced - i may need darker skies and / or better dark adaption and patience for this to be better.

Rosette Nebula - This really stood out well with the OIII on a Delos 17.3mm I was only able to view part of the nebula at a time but it good detail observed.

M1 - nice and bright with some detail.

M31 / M32 / M110 - M110 visible but very diffuse.

M33 - Got this one tonight but very dim and needing a little help with averted vision at times. Have seen this much better which seemed to indicate the transparency was definitely not brilliant.

M51 - A little low but easy enough to see both cores but could not see much of the connection between the two.

M101 - Pfft. Could just about with averted vision make a very diffuse smudge.

M97 - Owl nebula - Was exceptional with a Delos 14mm and OIII filter able to clearly see the eyes

M108 - Quite obvious tonight with reasonable apparent size with the 14mm Delos with a touch of mottling around the core.

M81 / M82 - Being quite high up these seemed to be escaping the lack of transparency elsewhere. M82 was exceptional with the Delos 10mm showing the dark lane and shape. M81 very bright core and some visible detail outside - could not distinguish outer arms though. Nearby NGC3077 obvious small core.

M109 - Slightly tricky needing a bit of averted vision to keep it in sight - no detail apart form the core.

Getting quite late 1am ish - on to Leo as it was climbing...

M65 / M66 / NGC 3628 - Leo triplet. NGC 3628 very diffuse but obvious without averted vision being required despite Leo far from being in optimal position. M65 and M66 quite brilliant.

Wrapped it up at approx 1:30am quite satisfied. Literally everything covered in ice... Enjoyed the session although earlier on was battling a bit with some lights coming from neighbours (which is why I prefer to observe after 11pm when most lights have switched off by then at least.

Looking forward now to the next one and getting on with the Herschel 400 list observations which I've planned the next targets... I may have a few clear nights this week but the Moon is going to start being in the way...
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: A couple of good sessions 4th & 5th Jan.

Post by helicon »

Great report Dave and two excellent nights out there, you managed to observe a plethora of objects through both scopes. Sometimes I like to compare views of DSO's through my 152mm frac or 250mm Dobsonian, to be sure the Dob does better with galaxies whilst the smaller scope with a wider field of view seems to offer superb views of OC's. Also, congrats on winning the VROD award for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Many thanks Michael! It's been a long time so it was really nice to get back in to it again... hopefully a nice steady stream of observing reports to come now (depending on the English weather of course!)

The 120ST constantly surprises me how it does with deep sky objects. I think the extra contrast you seem to get with a refractor goes a long way.
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great report, thanks!
davesellars wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:29 pmThe 120ST constantly surprises me how it does with deep sky objects. I think the extra contrast you seem to get with a refractor goes a long way.
I agree, those refractors never stop to amaze me.
Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Dave. A very nice haul of DSOs with the 120 refractor. I started back into astronomy in 2009, first with the small Mak-Cass and then the larger one. I always wanted a large refractor so I got the Orion 1202ST. About 7 or 8 months later, on a Sunday afternoon I got an email from OPT, and they were offering a show special (in California) even for those customers who couldn't attend. A big discount on an already low price and with free shipping was just too good to pass up, so I got the Celestron XLT150R. And I know what you and John are talking about. I love the wide field of view and excellent contrast. Thanks for a very nice and well written observing report Dave and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very well done Dave with a fine report and VROD. I used to have an ST120 (precursor to my ES127). I used it for a travel scope to Mexico a few times over 10 years ago and had nice observations of more southerly DSOs with it. Glad to see you out in the field again.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

You hit it running Dave! Congrats on two excellent sessions and VROD. I have a found memories of 120ST, it was my main scope for awhile and I was always surprised how deep it can go even under less than ideal skies.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice report! And congrats on the VROD!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Good to see you managed a couple of really good nights Dave!
A great set of objects :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

A great report Dave and congratulations on receiving the VROD award.

The UK weather can definitely be a little fickle at times :roll:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:09 am A great report Dave and congratulations on receiving the VROD award.

The UK weather can definitely be a little fickle at times :roll:
You're not wrong... It doesn't look like it yet as it's fully cloudy (and very damp!) at the moment, but the forecast here is pretty good for the tonight through to Thursday night (although going to have the moon getting in the way now...)
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

@davesellars I don't know which part of the UK you are situated Dave, but here in the New Forest we woke up this morning to thick fog.

The remainder of the day and through the night the forecast is for cloud cover :sigh:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:31 am @davesellars I don't know which part of the UK you are situated Dave, but here in the New Forest we woke up this morning to thick fog.

The remainder of the day and through the night the forecast is for cloud cover :sigh:
I'm in Derbyshire. Well, hope it changes and you get some clear skies soon!
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Rare to get two sessions in a row! Great reporting...and congrats on the VROD award.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

davesellars wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:56 am
Butterfly Maiden wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:31 am @davesellars I don't know which part of the UK you are situated Dave, but here in the New Forest we woke up this morning to thick fog.

I'm in Derbyshire. Well, hope it changes and you get some clear skies soon!
Nice reports and congrats on the VROD, empathise on cold toes, but I limit this by doing AP, once all is set up I return to the lounge to monitor things in comfort. I like visual, but keep that for those summer nights…

I’m pretty close by in Northamptonshire. So hoping for some time with the DSO’s. Clear skies.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447