Can’t win if you don’t play.

Let's see your reports!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Can’t win if you don’t play.

Post by Bigzmey »

8/3/19

Observing trip to the desert is always a gamble. Clear Outside forecast showed high clouds appearing around 19:00 and disappearing around 22:00 and clear dry night after that. Well, it was right about the first part.

I arrived to mostly clear skies
Anza-080319.jpg
Was welcomed by some wild life. :D
Wild life 080319.jpg
The high clouds arrived as predicted in bulk and have thrown a magnificent show at the sunset.
Fire clouds.jpg
Fire clouds B.jpg
Moon-080319.jpg
But they never left.

Jupiter - Io and GRS transit.
It was almost a skunk, except around 22:30 I caught a semi-descent view of Jupiter. GRS and Io were transiting. Small details of Jupiter disk were lost to Earth clouds, but salmon oval of GRS and black sharp dot of Io’s shadow were easy to see. After sitting on the target I also spotted the brown disk of Io against the North Equatorial Belt in front of the Io’s shadow. I watched the transit for a few minutes. Io’s disk has slid to the Jupiter’s side and became first a whitish half circle on the Jupiter’s rim and in a few moments cleared the Jupiter disk completely. That’s was fun!

After that I tried to wait out the clouds, waking up every hour or so to check the sky. Nope. :lol: Checked last time around 02:30, the clouds were still there. Went to sleep for good after that.

So, this weekend was more of play than win. :D. This is why they call it fishing not catching. Wait, this is from a different hobby. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Can’t win if you don’t play.

Post by bladekeeper »

Well, beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick any ol’ day. :D

Dew was so bad here on Saturday that even before dark you couldn’t drive without your windshield fogging over. Had to run the defroster on heat. Yuck.

Thick fog not long after that.

Sunday was terribly humid, poorly transparent, and buggy. I didn’t sit out long.

Tonight is high thins and horsetail clouds. Tomorrow holds better promise so far. :)

I enjoyed the snaps you made of the clouds, Andrew. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

You guys are starting to sound like Farmers! :lol:
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Just found this thread Andrey.
Beautiful images.
It's always a win when we get under the sky.
What the heck!
Thank you for posting.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Sorry to hear, Andrey...but great sunset in a beautiful area! Thanks for sharing the images!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks everyone! I love desert nature, so can't complain one way or another.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Too bad about the clouds, but at least you got some viewing in. Nice photo's; wish I was there, clouds or not :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC