The Hankmeister, Venus, two cats and a case...

Let's see your reports!
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

The Hankmeister, Venus, two cats and a case...

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey everyone; as always, I hope you're well :D

I wish I could say the same. Not been a good few weeks for me, stomach-wise. Some time ago I found out I had Crohn's disease, though with medication it's been bearable. But the past few weeks... Wow. I have a hospital appointment next week (Tuesday) and am really not looking forward to it. When I heard about what will be done to me... You're gonna put what where now? Is this even legal?? :lol:

End of whine ;)

This past Wednesday I got in from work at 3PM and, though the morning was cloudy and snowy, it cleared up towards dinnertime. Nice, and I was feeling good for once. Time for a peek through the Hankmeister, a Celestron 8SE. That was given to me by another Mark on here, AKA John Donne. You can read about that here.

All my other scopes are just purchases; this one actually has meaning for me :D

For the moment, I mount that beastie on a pipe mount I built for it. It's been through a few iterations, from concept to It should be good now...

This was the concept, using parts I had lying around. That Vixen mount is good for up to 4", but an eight? Scary! Plus it shook a lot, the pipe running vertically is 18" (~45cm's), and with the weight on the top...

mount.jpg

From November 1st. A couple of support bars from an old workbench for stiffening welded up to the vertical pipe made the difference, plus a beefier Vixen scope mount and the three legs I welded onto the rim.
I had my first looks at Jupiter and Saturn with this build that night. It's still burned into my memory! Cloud belts on Jupiter and Saturn, the Cassini division, and a total of nine Moons. I have never seen those two planets quite like that before. And the mount is rock solid, no shakes at all, even with trying. The two handles are great for steering it all, and between the valve grinding compound/tar/axle grease on the alt and az axis', they're like butter...
Seriously, dear reader, I wish you could come over here and give it a try. I guarantee it would make you smile :D

IMG_1711s.JPG
IMG_1712s.JPG

A quick pic tonight... Since the tube weighs about 12lbs, I adjusted the weights to 10lbs instead of twenty. I also had painted the legs white. This way I can see them in the dark :lol: As a side note, I made the legs high enough so the rim would clear my feet with winter boots on. The whole mount with weights on weighs in at 45lbs (~20kgs).

mount_now.jpg

OK, back to this past Wednesday. it's now 6:30PM, the Sun is gone though it's still mild twilight and I can feel the humidity rising. This will be short, I'm sure.

Swinging the scope to the south-west, I focused on Venus which was about 20* above the horizon. A sharp crescent through my KK 18mm, but no detail. No surprise there. My 12.5mm was too much, so back to the 18mm and Saturn. Wow. Even though the skies were not the best, I could see the cloud belts and the Cassini division, and as I found out later, three Moons. You gotta love an 8" at f/10, a planet killer for sure!!

Jupiter was still behind the trees, so I thought to see if I could use my DSLR, a Canon EOS 550D on it and take some shots of Venus, what with it being the brightest target. The scope came to focus easily, and I snapped a few shots. This is a single frame at ISO 800 and 1/800th sec exposure.

Venus.jpg

I took the camera out of the scope, put the diagonal/lens back in it, and brought my camera inside. My wife asked me how it went, I said absolutely great, and went back out hoping for some more views. Yeah, silly me expecting that to happen. Remember those clouds I spoke of? They saw me and rolled right in... :lol:

Alrighty, the clouds have won; time to bring it all in/put it away. The scope came in first, then I went back outside and put the mount away in the shed and locked everything up. When I came back inside, I discovered there was another cat in the case the Hankmeister was in...

cats_case.jpg

That case has been on the living room floor for a month and a half now; actually from Oct. 1st, the day I got the scope. A certain feline claimed it, and it's since been lined with blankets to keep the excess fur from building up. Thankfully Sarah washed those today while Mum and I were at work. Gotta love teenagers who can do housework!

The scope might be bigger all around (literally), but I will say the feline weighs more!!

I refrained from placing a silver spoon off to the side before taking the above pic. "Two cats in a case with a silver spoon...." Oh, I can visualize the ban hammers being thrown at me right now :lol:

An odd thing about Sasha... We got her at the shelter, and she was fixed. After I got the scope and Sasha liked sleeping in it, Sarah gave Sasha one of her little stuffed cats. Sasha carries that around by the scruff of its neck, from the couch to the case. She even licks/washes it. In this pic from tonight, Sasha once again has her "kitten". The stuffed cat to the right, she has no interest in it except using it for a pillow. She arranged her kitten, we had nothing to do with it. She seems quite paternal with it, how does that happen with a fixed cat? I'd say that's worthy of some research...

sasha.jpg

And I'm wondering if, now that I have this 8SE, if I should sell my 10" (250P) Skywatcher Dob? This was a $300 rescue four years ago; it needed help. But it was worth it, and these sell for almost 1K here; tax brings it to about $1140. And that's if you can find one... Still, most people probably would probably want "factory", not my rescue. Funny thing is, it weighs less and is smoother on the alt axis than the factory offering :?

10SW.jpg

I probably shouldn't sell it. I put a lot of TLC into it, and getting rid of it would bring my scope count to single digits; and we can't be having that. Isn't that bad luck or something?

Well, it's currently cloudy here, with snow forecast for tonight and a current balmy temp of -5C (23F). But it is Friday. I am going to do absolutely nothing from here on in until I wake up tomorrow.
Then, I have a few PM's to get back to...

Linken Park's Waiting For The End just finished. Mine and Sarah's all time favorite tune to sing together, especially while driving.

So, on that note...Thanks for reading my drivel. All my best to you all; you're all the best :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The Hankmeister, Venus, two cats and a case...

Post by John Donne »

Very nice report Mark.
Thank you.
That mount is amazing.
You have SKILLS my friend.
And your cat is very smart ! 😊
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Good on the scopes. Not so good on the Crohn's. I hope they don't abuse you too much.

I almost turned myself in to the emergency room a couple of days ago. The episode passed with self treatment but I think I need a consult. I suspect that a hernia that hadn't been any trouble decided to try to strangle an intestine.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Love pipe mounts! built a couple myself, still using one for my 4" RFT.

Great stuff,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Sorry to hear about the Crohn's Mark. I hope they keep your symptoms under control.

Excellent engineering skills on the mount! DIY'd otherwise expensive kit brings an enormous sense of wellbeing!

Rescued dobs and cats, you're all heart Mark!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Mark, I always love to read your reports (you already know that), and they are certainly not drivel.

However, I was sorry to read about your Crohn's condition flaring up. Your hospital procedure may sound a bit scary, but if it is going to sort you out then look on the positive side.

I will be thinking about you and hope all goes well.

About that open invitation to come over to check out your Hankmeister, Sophia and I have our bags packed so we should be with your fairly soon ;) ..... (maybe one day :roll: )

You are a technical genius with your engineering skills, which is probably saving you a lot of money. Plus, it must give you a lot more satisfaction doing it yourself, and you can have the modifications tailor-made for your requirements.

Keep your excellent reports coming Mark. You are always very entertaining and educational :smile:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Amazing
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

:observatory: NONE :observatory:
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the first light Mark! The cats look so cute. :D

Good luck with your treatment!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. Wow, this is one of the most warmest, friendliest, and fun read reports that I have seen. I can sympathize with you on the health issues. Last week Sheri and I were both sick with gastrointestinal problems (Crohn's for her and diverticulitis for me). I was in such abdominal pain during that time that I could only manage 4 total posts on the forum within 3 or 4 days.
Now, on to the new Hankmeister legend. You did another great "home brew" job of making a beautiful mount for this classic Celestron 8SE telescope. And it looks like you are having a lot of fun with this new instrument. I also enjoyed looking at your photos and I expected Sasha to be in at least one of them. :lol: As to the 10" Dob, KEEP IT! Like Bigzmey (Andrey), I love my 6" f/5 wide field achro refractor. But, if I need more "punch" viewing DSOs and I can get help to carry it out, my 12" f/4.9 Dob is a jewel. Thanks for this superb report Mark and the best of wishes on your upcoming clinical testing. Also, say hi to all of your wonderful family.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Mark. Wonderful that you are able to put such good use to a scope you have modded as a tribute to Hankmeister. And I loved reading about your cat. Certainly another VROD is in order for you for your views of Venus and Saturn. I hope all goes well with the Crohn's - I have a friend who has it but it stays pretty much under control due to the meds that now are available. Best of luck to you!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

VROD ! 👍👍👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great read! Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the APOD!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.