iOptron 150mm Mak first light

Let's see your reports!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

iOptron 150mm Mak first light

Post by Bigzmey »

11/14/2021

Equipment: iOptron 150mm Mak and Stelarvue 102ED on iOptron AZMP, EPs: TV Delites set, Baader Aspheric 36mm, ES62 26mm.

Recently, I have received iOptron 150mm rumak telescope from Mark (John Donne) as part of Henry's (Hankmeister3) legacy. I was impressed with the scope build (see first impression report here viewtopic.php?f=71&t=21695) and was eager to see it in action. The chance came last weekend. Due to urban location and bright Moon all targets were LP friendly.

Enthusiastic reviews often describe views delivered by Maks as APO refractor like. Therefore, I have decided to use my Stelarvue 102mm ED doublet as a reference for the rumak.
rumak & SV102.jpg
First hour was spent setting up the mount and aligning scopes and finders. This is only my second session with iOptron AZ Mount Pro and I still getting a hang of it. So far I like it a lot, but as always with new equipment there are some kinks to work out.

There is a part in the mount alignment routine when it points scopes straight up and spins them. I was watching it and to my horror SV102ED started to slide down. Luckily, I was right next to it and managed to catch it before it hit the concrete! It took me a few minutes to calm down. :lol: My next task is to install stopers on all scopes where doable, if not I will tie them down to the mount. :)

Moon
First target was the Moon in still blue sky . Since it was still daylight no filters were necessary. Both scopes deliver great sharp views. Atmosphere was not steady enough to push to really high powers, so I can’t tell yet if rumak has advantage in resolution. In fact, that was valid for most targets this evening. Seeing was the limiting factor and I could not use larger aperture of the rumak to full advantage.

Jupiter and Saturn
It seems that thermal isolation of the rumak OTA did the trick and it delivered steady views this evening. Jupiter image seemed steadier in rumak compared to SV102ED (advantage of F12 ratio vs F7?). Due to seeing limitation I could not push power productively above ~140x in both scopes. The Jupiter was smallish but quite sharp in both scopes with multiple belts, fine details in them, and a couple of minor storms resolved. The colors (various shades of brown) were delivered well (and equally) by both scopes. Amount of fine details in both scopes was about the same, but in SV they looked sharper, likely due to the better contrast of obstruction-free optics. Rumak should have the aperture advantage, but due to mediocre seeing it was not utilized. SV102ED with TV Delite 5mm (143x, 0.7 mm exit pupil); iOptron 150mm with TV Delite 13mm (138x, 1.1 mm exit pupil). Baader Moon & Sky glow + Contrast Booster filter combo for both scopes.

Saturn was soft in both scopes. I could make out Cassini division, glob shadow on the rings and maybe a band or two on the globe, but the views this season fell short of previous years.

DSOs
Next, I wanted to try some DSOs and why not from Alan’s TSS monthly challenge? :)

Double Cluster (NGC 869 and NGC 884)
Typically, Maks are not recommended for DSOs due to narrow field of view they deliver. iOptron rumak however has baffle opening large enough to accommodate 2” EPs and comes with 2” visual back. With Baader Aspheric 36mm EP (50x, ~1.4 deg TFV) the FOV was just large enough to fit the Double Cluster. The view was indeed APO like with razor sharp stars and nice colors. I have immediately noticed how flat the field is. In terms of sharpness rumak has matched the view from SV102ED with TV Delite 18.2mm (39x, 1.6 deg TFV). The star colors however were more saturated in SV102ED. Still the colors in rumak were pleasant. I would say they were about the same richness as in achro refractors.

Caroline’s Rose (NGC 7789)
The views from this evening were a bit of letdown. When I looked through SV102ED my first reaction was that I am on the wrong FOV. Upon closer examination I have identified 3 brighter star chains associated with the cluster, however the bulk of fainter stars was lost to LP. The rumak had advantage of larger aperture showing more of the faint stars. In terms of the star sharpness the scopes were neck to neck. Once again, the field in rumak was extra flat.

Unfortunately, the last target of TSS November DSO challenge – M33 – was behind the trees. Next time! :D

I have really enjoyed observing open clusters with IOptron 150mm Mak. I often see comments how dark are Mak views are, and I had similar experience with Celestron 127mm Gregory Mak I used to have. Enlarged secondary and baffle tube of iOptron rumak might be somewhat of liability for planetary, but extra FOV you gain with 2” EPs for DSO observing quite makes up for it. The views are bright and have a refined feel to it (like APO frac views) due to the flat field and sharp stars with well-defined colors.

Cygnus Doubles
Rest of the evening was spent hunting doubles. Cygnus was on the opposite side from the Moon, so there I went.

STF 2486 – 6.5, 6.7, 13.2, 11.1 – ab7.2”, ac27.2”, ad196” – AB - close pair of identical yellow stars with faint gray spec of D in the distance. I have tried for C with rumak but no go this evening. SV102/TV Delite 13mm (55x). Rumak/ES62 26mm (69x).

STF 2496 – 6.5, 10, 11.2 – ab2.1”, ac186.1” – yellow main with silvery spec of D in a distance SV102/TV Delite 13mm (55x). AB – both scopes failed to split.

HJ 1382 – 8.8, 10.2, 7.7” – white, silver. SV102/TV Delite 9mm (79x). Rumak/ES62 26mm (69x). Rumak had advantage on this split. View of faint secondary was steadier, and it was immediately detectable. With SV I had to play with EPs for a bit to extract it.

STF 2507 – 8.7, 10.9, 9.6, ab25.1”, bc6.5”, yellow, gray, white – AC was an easy split with both scopes at low power. BC – I have managed first with rumak/TV Delite 9mm (200x) and then with SV102/TV Delite 3 mm (238x).

STF 2511 – 7.5, 11.1, 10.2, ab7.6”, ac77.5” – AC – yellow silver, an easy split. AB – failed with both scopes.

Rumak had advantage over SV102 on some doubles, but not as much as I expected. I believe this is because both scopes were hitting the limit imposed by the sky conditions.

Overall, iOptron 150mm rumak has passed the first light with flying colors. It was pleasure to use. Two speed focuser is one of the best I ever tried, tight and responsive, no mirror shift (I wish my 9.25” Edge HD had similar quality focuser). Collimation based on star test was spot on. Rumak has shown well defined airy disks, but as expected more light was redistributed to the diffraction rings compared to SV102ED. Refined views provided by iOptron were in such stark contrast with colorless, dim, and soft views I was getting in the past with Celestron 127mm Gregory Mak, that it left me wondering was that due to smaller aperture, different design, poor execution, or bad sample of Celestron I had? Or all the above? :lol:

Thanks again Mark and Henry for such a fine scope!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: iOptron 150mm Mak first light

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Glad things are working out pretty well with the Mak. Just wait til the seeing lets it loose. :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great first light on the Mak and comparison between the two scopes. The results are consistent with a comparison I once did.. A striking match even. Nice to see that in your case, too, the isolated Mak tackles the seeing problems equally well.
I think you did a good job, certainly worth of VROD!
Thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Nice outing Andrey and glad the new scope is working out well for you.

Regarding NGC 7789, it is truly a delicate cluster in which the dimmer stars dominate. I am sure the moon was having a noticeable impact to its view for you.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report and first light for such a wonderful telescope! And as John suggests, your session Andrey certainly deserves the TSS VROD for today!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Andrey. This is a great report from you. And I am so happy that you are pleased with the iOptron 150 Mak telescope. As I mentioned on your last thread that you now have a great combination with your 6" refractor and the 6" Mak. You observed a lot of nice targets on your first light session and I also enjoyed your comparison information. Thanks for your well written report Andrey and congratulations on receiving the well deserved TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Excellent report Andrey.

Before I started looking through a telescope into the stary vault the saying "The sky's the limit" meant that anything was possible..nothing could hold me back if I did my part.
Possibilities were unconstrained.

Atronomy has added new meaning to the saying..."The sky's the limit". 😊

Congratulations on this VROD ! 👍👍👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:46 am Glad things are working out pretty well with the Mak. Just wait til the seeing lets it loose. :)
Thanks nFA! Unfortunately, in the desert good seeing nights are far in between, could be a while.
John Baars wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:01 am Great first light on the Mak and comparison between the two scopes. The results are consistent with a comparison I once did.. A striking match even. Nice to see that in your case, too, the isolated Mak tackles the seeing problems equally well.
I think you did a good job, certainly worth of VROD!
Thanks!
Thanks John! I remember reading your report and after going over it again today our conclusions are strikingly similar. Which should be the case when the comparisons are done carefully, thoroughly and with understanding of optics differences.
kt4hx wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:10 pm Nice outing Andrey and glad the new scope is working out well for you.

Regarding NGC 7789, it is truly a delicate cluster in which the dimmer stars dominate. I am sure the moon was having a noticeable impact to its view for you.
Thanks Alan! It has been a while since I saw NGC 7789 last time, took me a few moments to realize that the bulk of it are faint stars.
helicon wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:10 pm Great report and first light for such a wonderful telescope! And as John suggests, your session Andrey certainly deserves the TSS VROD for today!
Thanks Michael! It’s an honor!
Makuser wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:43 pm Hi Andrey. This is a great report from you. And I am so happy that you are pleased with the iOptron 150 Mak telescope. As I mentioned on your last thread that you now have a great combination with your 6" refractor and the 6" Mak. You observed a lot of nice targets on your first light session and I also enjoyed your comparison information. Thanks for your well written report Andrey and congratulations on receiving the well deserved TSS VROD Award today.
Thanks Marshall! F5 6” achro and F12 6” Mak should be a fun shoot out to. I already know which one wins on Moon and planets. :D
John Donne wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:53 pm Excellent report Andrey.

Before I started looking through a telescope into the stary vault the saying "The sky's the limit" meant that anything was possible..nothing could hold me back if I did my part.
Possibilities were unconstrained.

Atronomy has added new meaning to the saying..."The sky's the limit". 😊

Congratulations on this VROD ! 👍👍👍
Thanks Mark! “The sky's the limit” true on some many levels. This night it was “bad sky is good optics limit” :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

this is so much fun to read ,when a member has a new piece of equipment, really happy for you , thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada: