Short Visual Report - Yes, A Visual Report!

Let's see your reports!
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Short Visual Report - Yes, A Visual Report!

Post by Juno16 »

I love imaging. From my Bortle 7 skies, I tweak out images that make me happy.

Imaging is very challenging and has many variables. That’s what makes it so enjoyable. What is even more challenging is constantly battling the desire to buy new gear and software. The draw to get better images almost borders on an addiction!

Anyway, I bought a new imaging scope earlier in the year. A Sharpstar 61 EDPHII APO to get better wide field images with my smallish sensor ASI533. I love this little dude!

When I bought the Sharpstar, I remember posting that I could configure my Explore Scientific ED102 for visual while the Sharpstar was in service imaging wider-field nebulae.

Well, I actually did that!

At F7, the ES scope isn’t the perfect visual scope especially in my lp, but the crispness of the stars is wonderful.

Took awhile to get around to it. I had to do some work on the ES focuser after removing the electronic focus motor (there’s that budget again), but it is a good thing that I did. I probably thwarted focuser issues ahead.

I must say, the white ES ED102 on the new white HEQ5 Pro mount looks smashing!

Setup is so easy for visual compared to imaging. Plug in the powertank and just set the mount up on my imaging bricks (North) and start the Star alignment with the HC.

After about 20 minutes of “growing pains“ (stupid stuff), I got the first star aligned. The second alignment star was a snap.

I created a small observation list in SkySafari of mainly doubles to get started.

Observations:

Leaving the 12mm reticle eyepiece in place, I moved to Saturn for a peek.

Fairly nice smallish view with the 12mm (60x), so I plopped in my old favorite ep, the Agena Starguider 8mm (89x) and then the Celestron X-Cel 5mm (143x). The seeing actually supported the 5mm with a fairly crisp view. The Cassini Division was evident as was some planetary details.

Went back to the 8mm Agena eyepiece and on to Jupiter.

Pow! Nice view! Back in went the X-Cel 5mm for a finer view!

The two main cloud bands (zones) were popping. I think that the view would have been even better with a uhc filter (I have one somewhere), but even without the filter, planetary details were sharp. Had the GRS been visible at the time, I’m sure I would have been able to spot it.

Tried for the Saturn Nebula and Cat’s Eye nebula and both were there as blobbish and detail-less. Probably because of the bright moon.

Moved to both Messier 2and 15 globular’s. Both fairly bright and large in the 8mm, but I couldn’t resolve single stars. Again, possibly the moonlight reducing the contrast.

Then on to some doubles.

HR 4893, Almach (Gamma Andromedae), Albireo (Beta Cygni), Alberio (Beta Cygni), Alfirk (Beta Cephei), Achird (Eta Cassiopeiae).

Of course, the double standard (pun intended), Alberio was magnificent as always. Bright, colorful, and nicely separated. Also, Almach is just as beautiful, but just slightly more dim.
Achird was really an awesome view with the bright yellow-white main star and much dimmer crystal clear golden dot of the secondary star.

After getting set up, I spent about 1 ½ hours viewing.

The goto’s of the HEQ5 was really spot on with a two star alignment. I found the HC quite easy to navigate (after being used to the Celestron). Maybe a bit easier actually.

I started viewing about 6 years ago and later joined AF in 2016 (hence the 16 in Juno16). About 2 ½ years ago I started dabbling in AP. Not the track record of many folks here, but at 66 its never too late.

Sorry for getting so long winded!

I had a great time and will certainly be out again. At least until galaxy season where the ED102 will be back in imaging service!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Short Visual Report - Yes, A Visual Report!

Post by helicon »

Great report Jim and I see that you have come back over to the visual side of things, at least for one night! Thanks for the descriptions for your observations and congrats on earning a well-deserved VROD for today!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Excellent report Jim !
I have enjoyed reading...it Is NOT long winded...😊

And...👍👍👍VROD 👍👍👍 YEA !
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very happy to see you out visualizing jim! :) While I understand that you love imaging and all the dynamics associated with it, there is something special about the unique pleasure of seeing things with your own eyes in real time that brings a visceral enjoyment. Well done my friend and congrats on the VROD.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

helicon wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:30 pm Great report Jim and I see that you have come back over to the visual side of things, at least for one night! Thanks for the descriptions for your observations and congrats on earning a well-deserved VROD for today!
Thanks Michael! I surely did not expect that!

I definitely do plan another visual outing. It is really a completely different side of the sky! I did start out there and enjoy it very much.
John Donne wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:57 pm Excellent report Jim !
I have enjoyed reading...it Is NOT long winded...😊

And...👍👍👍VROD 👍👍👍 YEA !

Thanks Mark! I really enjoyed it and will keep it up as long as the ED102 is free.

After the refresher in visual, doing both is the best of both worlds! I think that AP is more appreciated if you also do visual and likewise, visual is better after doing AP.

Thanks buddy!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:19 pm Very happy to see you out visualizing jim! :) While I understand that you love imaging and all the dynamics associated with it, there is something special about the unique pleasure of seeing things with your own eyes in real time that brings a visceral enjoyment. Well done my friend and congrats on the VROD.
Me too Alan and thank you!

Yes, seeing real time is special. Looking back into the Skysafari lists that I have made in the past, I found many of them to be early morning before dawn. I used to enjoy taking out the 130SLT before work some mornings. Great way to start the day out! Of course, no work mornings any more!
Jim

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

love it, thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great! Welcome again to the classical visual part of the hobby.
Nice report, you saw some real beauties.
VROD sprang into my mind immediately, congratulations!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice report. Could have read more...
Anyway, congrats on the VROD!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Jim. A very nice and informative visual report from you here. And you did a great job of explaining your thought processes as you went along on your session. Thanks for posting this well written report Jim and congratulations on receiving a well deserved TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice back to visual report Jim! I would say that F7 scope is perfect for visual, not too fast not too slow, just right. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks M111 @messier 111 , John @John Baars, Juha @turboscrew, Marshall @Makuser, and Bigz @Bigzmey !!!

It is nice to jump over here with you fellows!!!

Yes I had some really super targets to see and was rewarded well. A very low stress and relaxing session.

The only difficult part was to stop. My wife was waiting for me to watch a movie! I will be planning an early morning session soon.
Jim