Observing Report for 08 November 2021 - a second night of discovery

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 08 November 2021 - a second night of discovery

Post by kt4hx »

The second night of our stay at the dark site house seemed to come around fairly quickly since darkness comes early. I put my stuff outside about 1730 hours and then about 1830 we had some dinner. I ventured forth about 1900 hours to carry on with some more galaxy hunting. The sky conditions indicated that transparency was good, but slightly weaker than the evening before, while seeing was improved from the first outing.

So my intent was to return to Aries to pick up some more new galaxies as my primary thrust for the night. But first I turned to chart 77-left in the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas (IDSA) to chase down a few new galaxies in Piscis Austrinus to acclimate my observing eye to the sky before digging deeper in Aries. Locating Tau PsA (mag 4.9) and Mu PsA (mag 4.5) I worked to the southwest a little in the general direction of the PsA-Grus border. So with that set up, let’s move into what I was able to pull down from a dark rural sky.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

IC 5157 (Piscis Austrinus, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.7, size=1.4’x1.3’, SBr=13.4):
Centering on Mu PsA, I slipped 1° south to mag 5.0 Upsilon PsA, then turned southwest for not quite 1.5° to pick up my first object for this evening. Using 152x this elliptical appeared as a small and slightly dim rounded glow near a gentle smile of three field stars (11th and 12th mag). Taking a look with 199x it remained homogeneous to the eye, and while slightly dim, it was still obvious in the field. (New)

NGC 7135 (Piscis Austrinus, lenticular galaxy, mag=11.7, size=3.0’x1.9’, SBr=13.5):
Nearly 3° west of the previous object I located this lenticular next to a triangle of three field stars (9th, 10th and 11th mag). Picked up with152x it was the brightest of three galaxies within the same field of view. It presented as a rounded homogeneous glow that was small in angular extent and slightly dim to the eye. Its appearance remained similar at 199x. (New)

NGC 7130 (Piscis Austrinus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.1, size=1.5’x1.4’, SBr=12.7):
About 18’ WSW of NGC 7135, I picked up this small and dim round glow that was evenly illuminated across its disk at 152x. No additional details were evident using 199x. (New)

IC 5131 (Piscis Austrinus, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.3, size=1.4’x1.4’, SBr=12.9):
Nearly 29’ west of NGC 7135 I easily saw the third galaxy in the triple play. At 152x it was similar in appearance to the other two – small and round, and a little dim to the eye. Similarly it presented a smooth and even disk with no additional details noted at 199x. (New)

NGC 7154 (Piscis Austrinus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.4, size=2.1’x1.6’, SBr=13.6):
A little over 1° east of NGC 7135 I swept up my next target. Diffuse in appearance, its small oval disk was a little dim to the eye. Viewed at 199x it remained a smooth disk that was not difficult to see. (New)

NGC 7187 (Piscis Austrinus, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.4’x1.3’, SBr=13.0):
Going back to Mu PsA, I slid west just over 1° to pick up this lenticular. Viewing with 152x it was small and slightly out of round in appearance. Its envelope was diffuse with a very subtle uptick in brightness into the core. Taking a look at 199x the noted central brightness was resolved into an intermittent stellar core. (New)

IC 5156 (Piscis Austrinus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=2.2’x0.8’, SBr=12.7):
I slid again just over 1°, but to the south of the previous object. Here I located a small slender finger of dim light exhibiting an intermittent stellar core. The view at 199x was similar, though the galaxy was easier to discern. (New)

After loosening up my observing eye a bit down south, I headed back north to continue my galaxy hunting in Aries from the night before. I closed the IDSA and cracked the Uranometria atlas to chart 99 for the remainder of my outing.

NGC 786 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=12.2):
Aiming the scope at the double star Gamma Arietis, I then moved southeast for over 1.5° to pick up mag 5.1 Iota Arietis. The almost 2.5° farther SSE to a large triangle of three field stars (7th and 8th mag). Along one side of the figure I located this spiral. Picked up at 152x it presented a small and dim homogeneous rounded dust bunny. It remained a little weak visually at 199x, but not difficult. (New)

NGC 792 (Aries, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.7’x1.0’, SBr=13.6):
About 13’ ENE of the previous object I located this lenticular next to an 11th mag field star. At 152x I was picking up a small and dim oval glow with an intermittent stellar core pinned to its center. Taking a look with 199x it was a little more obvious in the view, while the core remained weakly stellar. (New)

NGC 803 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=3.0’x1.3’, SBr=13.9):
Moving now to the northeast almost half a degree, I swept up this galaxy using 152x. It was lying immediately east of an 11th mag field star. It presented a slightly bright, small and thick oval with a smooth and even envelope. It was very obvious at 199x and remained a nice homogeneous oval. (New)

IC 192 (Aries, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.9’x0.9’, SBr=13.1):
Only about 17.5’ west of NGC 803 I pinned down my next object. It revealed a small dim oval disk at 152x, a stellar core at its center. While it remained dim at 199x, it was an easy object to pick up. (New)

IC 196 (Aries, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.9, size=2.8’x1.4’, SBr=14.1):
Hopping south for nearly 1.5° I found a pair of galaxies about 12’ northwest of a mag 9.5 field star. The largest and brightest of the duo is this barred spiral. At 152x it displayed a slightly dim, small oval of light with a stellar core. Viewing with 199x I picked up a small central lens of brightness surrounding the stellar core within the extended dimmer halo. (New)

IC 195 (Aries, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.5’x0.5’, SBr=12.4):
In the same field of view and about 2’ southwest of IC 195 I also picked up this galaxy at 152x. Presenting a small and dim oval, a stellar core winked within its disk. At 199x, though it was the weakest of the pair, it was not difficult at all to pick up within the view. (New)

NGC 774 (Aries, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.5’x1.2’, SBr=13.5):
Slipping slowly southwest for a hair over 1° I picked up another pair of galaxies close together. This lenticular was the northern of the two and by far the brightest. At 152x it presented a small and dim round homogeneous envelope that was evenly illuminated. Similar in appearance at 199x, it was nonetheless easily seen. It remained homogeneous even at 283x with no hint of interior detail. (New)

UGC 1468 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=15.1, size=1.3’x0.6’, SBr=14.6):
Just 4’ to the south lay this very dim spiral. It was not seen at all as I studied NGC 774 at 152x. Then at 199x I caught a fleeting suspicion of a very faint dust mote of light at the correct position. The presence of this object was confirmed, albeit weakly, at 283x as a painfully dim, small homogeneous oval. (New)

NGC 671 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.5’x0.5’, SBr=12.7):
I now slowly hopped into the southwestern corner of Aries near its border with Pisces to look for a scattering of galaxies. The western-most was this dim little dust bunny, just over 3° WSW of the previous duo. At 152x it presented a smoothly illuminated disk, which didn’t change at 199x. Though it was dim, it was not a difficult object to see. (New)

NGC 677 (Aries, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.7, size=2.0’x2.0’, SBr=13.7):
A mere half a degree east of the last object I located another close pairing of galaxies. The eastern most, brighter and larger of the two was this small round diffuse disk which yielded an intermittent stellar core. Clearly dominating its neighbor at 283x, its stellar core was quite apparent now. (New)

NGC 675 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=1.0’x0.4’, SBr=13.1):
Immediately west of and almost in contact with NGC 677, this pretty small and dim object was a mere suspicion at 152x. Confirmed at 199x, it was still weakly present in the view with its own intermittent stellar core. The view at 283x, though weak, was much more apparent. Its envelope was quite diffuse, but its stellar core was now more obviously present. (New)

UGC 1271 (Aries, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.7’x0.9’, SBr=13.4):
Merely 10’ NNW of the NGC 677/675 pair, and within the same field of view, I noted this small a dim diffuse glow. Observed at 152x and 199x, it presented a homogeneous out of round disk punctuated by a stellar core. (New)

UGC 1261 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=14.5, size=1.5’x0.4’, SBr=13.8):
Another 15’ or so onward to the NNW I encountered this dim little bunny. Fairly dim at both 152x and 199x, it was evenly illuminated across it’s out of round disk and otherwise non-descript. (New)

UGC 1274 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=13.9, size=1.5’x0.4’, SBr=13.2):
Shifting my attention south (about 12’) of the primary pair (NGC 677/675) I now encountered the next galaxy in this grouping. At 152x it was fairly dim, small and slightly oval. An intermittent stellar core was glimpsed in its center. Using 199x it remained weak, but noticeably easier to see. Its stellar core continued to wink through intermittently. (New)

UGC 1282 (Aries, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.5’x0.7’, SBr=13.0):
Another 21’ to the south I pulled down my next galaxy. At 152x it was small and dim, and as the previous object revealed an intermittent stellar core. Using 199x its appearance really didn’t change other than being a little more visually obvious. (New)

UGC 1260 (Aries, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.0’x0.7’, SBr=12.6):
A bit over 15’ to the northwest of the previous object I spotted my next one. This barred spiral, also known as Markarian 575 was observed at both 152x and 199x, revealing a small and dim out of round envelope that was evenly illuminated. (New)

NGC 716 (Aries, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.8’x0.8’, SBr=13.1):
The mag 7.1 star HD 11520 lay 1° east of the grouping of galaxies, and 7.5’ west of the star I located this slightly bright and small homogeneous oval. Very obvious at 152x, it was even stronger within the field at 199x. (New)

NGC 683 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.0’x1.0’, SBr=13.3):
South of the grouping of galaxies I had just observed I notched this little round spiral. Viewed with both 152x and 199x it was a dim, but not difficult, homogeneous disk. (New)

UGC 1290 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.7’x0.5’, SBr=12.8):
Almost 8’ northwest of and in the same field of view with the last object I could just discern this object using 152x. Going quickly to 199x its presence was confirmed as a small and fairly dim diffuse out of round glow. (New)

NGC 673 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=2.1’x1.7’, SBr=13.8):
Nudging southwest of NGC 683 about 20’ I picked up a 10th mag field star. In the same field, about 3’ to its southwest, I picked up this spiral. Slightly bright to my eye, it presented a small and smooth diffuse oval at 152x. Studied a bit at 199x, it was a very obvious object. Interestingly, the longer I looked at it, the more I was sure that the northern portion of its disk was very subtly brighter than the southern portion. Looking at images while writing this up, I noted that the spiral arms in the northern portion of the galactic disk are more compact and the northern arm in particular contained very noticeable clumps of H-II regions. I feel this may well have accounted for the sense of increased brightness in the northern side of the galaxy that I was picking up. (New)

NGC 810 (Aries, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.9, size=1.7’x1.3’, SBr=14.6):
Moving back up to the northeast a little bit, I snagged this elliptical with 152x. It presented a small, thick oval glow that despite its listed magnitude seemed slightly bright to my eye, and smooth in illumination. At 199x it was not difficult at all and displayed a very small non-stellar brightness in its core region. Interestingly this is a double system with a 16th mag PGC 3126708 (likely a foreground object) immediately east of the core involved in the disk of NGC 810. This object was of course not seen. (New)

NGC 820 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.3’x0.8’, SBr=12.7):
While in the area I stopped by this galaxy which I previously observed about three years ago from our home backyard (Bortle 5 at the time) using my 12 inch. In that case it was weak, but easily seen. On this night with the 17.5 inch at 152x it was a small and slightly dim oval of cotton candy. Then at 199x an intermittent stellar core was revealed.

NGC 877 (Aries, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.9, size=2.4’x1.8’, SBr=13.4):
A little over 2° east of NGC 820 I stopped by another previously observed object from the same session three years ago as NGC 820 where it was slightly bright to my eye. My goal here was to try and pick up a much dimmer companion galaxy just 2’ to its southwest. But first, NGC 877 in the 17.5 inch was pretty bright and subtly large. Oval in shape it was homogeneous across its angular extent, and was quite obvious at both 152x and 199x.

NGC 876 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=14.7, size=2.1’x0.4’, SBr=14.4):
As I studied NGC 877 at both 152x and 199x I was also trying to pick up a trace of its this spiral to its southwest. Not seen at 152x, I finally got a sense of a very dim dusting of light at the correct position using 199x. Moving up to 283x I was able to confirm its presence but it was a difficult object. (New)

NGC 871 (Aries, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.2’x0.5’, SBr=12.8):
About 11’ west of the previous pair, is another pair. As with a couple of the other galaxies above, this barred spiral was observed about three years ago at home. In the 12 inch at home it was very weak visually. This evening it was a small and slightly bright elongated oval at 152x and 199x. Its envelope was evenly illuminated. I went up to 283x in an attempt at picking up mag 15.5 NGC 870 about 1.5’ to the south. While at times I had a sense that perhaps I saw something, I was also leery of the possibility of "averted imagination" trying to convince me that I'd seen it. I could never be certain that I was picking up this secondary galaxy, and thus will not add it to the log.

NGC 927 (Aries, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.2’x1.2’, SBr=13.7):
I now swept about 3° southeast to pick up mag 7.4 HD 15029. Just 19’ northeast of this star I found my next target. At 199x it was a small and dim homogeneous oval glow. Though easier at 199x, it remained a smooth disk and dim. (New)

NGC 990 (Aries, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.8’x1.5’, SBr=13.5):
Again I stopped by another galaxy observed during the same session three years ago. At home with the 12 inch it was a very weak object. This evening in darker skies with the 17.5 inch it was a small oval that was subtly bright and revealed a stellar core. Also taking a look at 199x it was quite easy.

NGC 1024 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=12.1, size=3.9’x1.4’, SBr=13.8):
Just over 1° to the southeast I located my last field for the evening just north of mag 6.7 HD 16499 and close to the border with Cetus. This spiral presented a subtly large and somewhat bright oval with a stellar core pinned to its center. At 199x it was a strongly obvious elongated oval with a strong stellar core. A dim mag 13 field star lay off its eastern edge. (New)

NGC 1029 (Aries, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.4’x0.4’, SBr=12.3):
My final galaxy shared the field of view with NGC 1024, just 7’ to its southeast. Small and dim at 152x, I nonetheless picked up a stellar core. It was more apparent at 199x, but no further details were noted. I also moved up to 283x in an attempt to pick up nearby NGC 1028 (mag 14.8), which was not seen at 152x or 199x. Try as I might, I simply could not see any trace of the barred spiral nearby. (New)

It was now just after 2200 hours and at three hours in, I felt I’d had enough and was ready to head back inside for a good night’s rest. We would be heading back home in the morning and had a couple of stops to make on the way. I thank you for coming along on these two nights of discovery with me. I hope to see you all out there again soon. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 08 November 2021 - a second night of discovery

Post by John Donne »

Excellent as I expected Alan.

I would like to know why the switch to Uranometria. Does Uranometria go deeper or is there another reason?

My copy of Uranometria is the hardback copy and is not conducive to outdoor use. Do you have a loose bound copy?
Thank you for sharing this fine outing Sir.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Donne wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:42 am Excellent as I expected Alan.

I would like to know why the switch to Uranometria. Does Uranometria go deeper or is there another reason?

My copy of Uranometria is the hardback copy and is not conducive to outdoor use. Do you have a loose bound copy?
Thank you for sharing this fine outing Sir.
Thank you Mark.

Regarding the question about Uranometria vs the IDSA, the former is indeed deeper. While it is not as "pretty" as the IDSA, it goes to a stellar depth of mag 9.75 versus 9.5 for the IDSA. But in my case, and more importantly, Uranometria plots a total of 25,895 galaxies versus 9599 for the IDSA. Of course I am not going to see them all, but the fact that the Uranometria All-Sky Edition plots more objects means that I get a better presentation of what I might find at the eyepiece in the 17.5 inch from a dark sky than that provided by the IDSA.

My Uranometria is also the single volume hard backed book. But I utilize a four-foot folding table where I place my eyepiece case, atlases and notebook. I have have a chair at it where I can sit to consult the atlas and make notes. So the fact that it is a bit weighty and solid, is of no consequence to me in my case. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Superb observing Alan! Great that you managed two back-to-back sessions. I hope your winter season turns as productive as it started.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice work! Great report! One can see you've been longing this. :lol:
Good that you have the Uranometria. With that pace you'd run out of IDSA targets soon. :lol:
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Another excellent observing report from your dark site location. And you really hauled in great catch of objects in Aries. Also thanks for the information on the Uranometria All-Sky Edition, as this should be a great companion to my old Skalnate Pleso Atlas of the Heavens. Thanks for your great read report including the nice details about each target Alan and have a safe trip back home.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:33 pm Superb observing Alan! Great that you managed two back-to-back sessions. I hope your winter season turns as productive as it started.

Thank you Andrey. I also certainly hope for some productive observing this winter. Though it gets cold over there, the beauty of the winter Milky Way overhead and the clean, crisp skies are a wonder to behold. :)

turboscrew wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:37 pm Nice work! Great report! One can see you've been longing this. :lol:
Good that you have the Uranometria. With that pace you'd run out of IDSA targets soon. :lol:

Thank you Juha. Yes, I've been anxious to get back out and resume my galaxy hunting. I will say that as much as I do like the IDSA, frequently it simply is not deep enough. Sometimes in the same field it may only plot one or two objects, whereas the Urano might show 3, 4, 5 or more (depending upon the specific field of course).

:lol: No worries about running out of objects, even with the IDSA. I don't have enough good years left for that! :)

Makuser wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:43 pm Hi Alan. Another excellent observing report from your dark site location. And you really hauled in great catch of objects in Aries. Also thanks for the information on the Uranometria All-Sky Edition, as this should be a great companion to my old Skalnate Pleso Atlas of the Heavens. Thanks for your great read report including the nice details about each target Alan and have a safe trip back home.

Thank you Marshall. Absolutely, the Urano would add many additional layers to what the Skalnate plots. In fact, the IDSA would do that as well. I really like the IDSA, and it was my atlas of choice for a few years. However, with almost all of my observing coming now at the dark site with the big scope, the Urano has become my real go to guide. When observing nearer the horizon where there is a lot of atmospheric extinction and turbulence, the IDSA is sufficient for the most part, as less cumbersome as Mark mentioned.

Now that Wilmann-Bell products are starting to show up at the Sky&Telescope online store, I am hopeful that the Urano All-Sky will again be available, along with many more titles that haven't shown up just yet.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

A great observation and crop of galaxies in Aries. I didn't even know that small Aries had that much galaxies. Until I saw your report and Skysafari. Impressive! Thanks for your report!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:31 pm A great observation and crop of galaxies in Aries. I didn't even know that small Aries had that much galaxies. Until I saw your report and Skysafari. Impressive! Thanks for your report!
Thank you John. The majority of constellations have a lot of galaxies, after all, they are the most numerous type of DSO in the sky. Aries for example has about 85 that are under mag 14.0 (depending upon the source). As a comparison, Vulpecula has only 4 under mag 14.0 since it lies along the main plane of the Milky Way. So there is a lot of variability from one constellation to another, with some being particularly rich. But of course, across the entire sky, the vast majority of galaxies are dim and difficult.
Alan

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Wow! You were busy. Congratulations on the many fine grabs and thanks for sharing your successes.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

mikemarotta wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:55 pm Wow! You were busy. Congratulations on the many fine grabs and thanks for sharing your successes.

Thank you Mike. It was indeed a good evening, and just another night in the life of a devout galaxy hunter. :)
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I meant to follow up on this report regarding NGC 673 earlier, but I simply forgot. As I mentioned in my entry for this intermediate spiral galaxy, while I studied its diffuse oval disk at 199x with the 17.5 inch, the longer I looked at it, the more I got a strong sense that its northern portion was subtly brighter than the southern section. I have attached the SDSS image that I used to determine that indeed the northern section contains some very bright (relatively speaking of course) H-II regions in the arm just north of the core. It is always a real treat to be able to discern internal structure within a galaxy. :)
ngc673.jpg
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:12 pm I meant to follow up on this report regarding NGC 673 earlier, but I simply forgot. As I mentioned in my entry for this intermediate spiral galaxy, while I studied its diffuse oval disk at 199x with the 17.5 inch, the longer I looked at it, the more I got a strong sense that its northern portion was subtly brighter than the southern section. I have attached the SDSS image that I used to determine that indeed the northern section contains some very bright (relatively speaking of course) H-II regions in the arm just north of the core. It is always a real treat to be able to discern internal structure within a galaxy. :)

Indeed it feels great to spot some small variations in brightness and later find out that they correspond to some structural elements. I am always on look out for mottled galaxies. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Alan (November 11th) representing your second session in Aries and more time in the Southern Fish! It's also wonderful to be able to discern differences in brightness visually and then having something like the HST or SDSS confirm what you observed!

The VROD is definitely in order here, congratulations!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:39 pm
kt4hx wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:12 pm I meant to follow up on this report regarding NGC 673 earlier, but I simply forgot. As I mentioned in my entry for this intermediate spiral galaxy, while I studied its diffuse oval disk at 199x with the 17.5 inch, the longer I looked at it, the more I got a strong sense that its northern portion was subtly brighter than the southern section. I have attached the SDSS image that I used to determine that indeed the northern section contains some very bright (relatively speaking of course) H-II regions in the arm just north of the core. It is always a real treat to be able to discern internal structure within a galaxy. :)

Indeed it feels great to spot some small variations in brightness and later find out that they correspond to some structural elements. I am always on look out for mottled galaxies. :D

Thank you Andrey. Totally agree that whenever a galaxy is displaying uneven brightness it is an exciting thing. With an experienced eye, our ability to discern the subtle variations between light and dark within a galactic disk allowing us the ability to infer structural details is a very rewarding aspect of galaxy hunting. :)
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:48 pm Great report Alan (November 11th) representing your second session in Aries and more time in the Southern Fish! It's also wonderful to be able to discern differences in brightness visually and then having something like the HST or SDSS confirm what you observed!

The VROD is definitely in order here, congratulations!

Thank you Michael. It is always a nice aspect of galaxy hunting when we have the ability to confirm what we think we are seeing in terms of structural detail. So many times galaxies are simply void of any visual detail other than size, shape and orientation. The odd one out that does reveal structural detail, however dim, is icing on the cake. :)
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:11 pm Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you John. :)
Alan