Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

A Work Night Session

Post by The Wave Catcher »

Telescope: 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor
Aperture Mask: 60 mm (yogurt lid) if needed
Eye Pieces: Astro-Tech ED Paradigm, 5 mm (91.8X),12 mm (38.3X), 25 mm (18.4x)
Mount: Manual Alt/Az

2021-10-25
20:30-21:30 CDT (UTC -5)

I came home, had supper with my family and watched a show with my wife. My city skies were exceptionally clear and were calling to me so even though it was a work night, I brought my telescope out for a few quick targets. Starting with my low power 25 mm eyepiece I aimed west and immediately came upon the open cluster NGC 6633. I have not logged it before though I’ve likely seen it by accident. In my telescope the stars in clusters are quite sharp and beautiful. While gazing at the cluster a west to east satellite passed right through the foreground of the cluster. From there I swung next door to the Graff’s open cluster that I had observed shortly during my last session. I wanted to check it out longer this time before it goes behinds the trees again. At first glance it just seems like several bright stars but the longer I observed it a great many more stars came into view. I put in my 12 mm eyepiece to peer deeper into the cluster and it was quite a sight. And of course while observing a north to south satellite passed through it.

I turned my telescope to near my zenith to the constellation Cygnus and to the star Sadr. Sadr is embedded in a rich star field so I spent some time gazing at the beauty. Next, I thought I’d try to see the Crescent Nebula, NGC 6888. This was my main goal of the evening. I knew it would likely be a futile attempt with my 4” telescope and Bortle 8 skies but I had an Astronomik UHC Nebula Filter as an advantage. I found all of the stars in the vicinity of the nebula but as hard as I tried I could not detect the nebula, even with the filter. At least I know how to find its location easily and maybe later this fall or winter I can make it out to some dark skies and give it another try.

As I was turning away to scan the vast star fields in Cygnus, a meteor shot across my 25 mm eyepiece’s wide field view. Man, it was so fast it startled me. I enjoyed the view in Cygnus and scanned across several clusters I’ve seen before. After that I had to call it a night. I didn’t have much to write about but I hoped to convey the relaxing enjoyment of even a short session. It was getting late and the smell of a nearby skunk was getting way too strong!
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: A Work Night Session

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Congratulations on a nice evening. You're not far off from getting the Crescent. I have Bortle 6 skies and managed it without a filter.

Short session are indeed pleasant....
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Steve. A very nice observing report from you using your 4" refractor telescope. And I can imaging the light pollution that you endure in the DFW Metroplex area. However you still came away with a lot of nice targets in your short observing session. Thanks for your well written and nice read observing report Steve and keep looking up.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Donne »

A nice session Steve.
Thank you.
I enjoy the experience of dwelling on the target and observing the star field propagate slowly as my eyes and body relax.
👍👍👍
Last edited by John Donne on Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice session Steve! I checked my notes and the Crescent Nebula seems to require smaller exit pupil (~2 mm) in addition to UHC filter. For you scope that would be 9mm EP. EP producing ~2mm exit pupil is a must have, since it delivers best results for many DSOs, galaxies in particular.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Wave Catcher »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:31 pm Nice session Steve! I checked my notes and the Crescent Nebula seems to require smaller exit pupil (~2 mm) in addition to UHC filter. For you scope that would be 9mm EP. EP producing ~2mm exit pupil is a must have, since it delivers best results for many DSOs, galaxies in particular.
Thanks for the tip Bigzmey! I’ll give that a try. Once the dust settles down from the recent very high winds the next few nights look to be perfect for observing.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount