Let's see your reports!
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

A City Dweller Report

Post by The Wave Catcher »

I always take notes during my observing sessions and I don’t often share them here figuring too many city reports will bore people. I’m in Fort Worth, Texas a few blocks from a bright 24 hour pipe factory and a few miles from Amazon warehouses. All that said, I still enjoy my observing time immensely

Time: CDT (UTC-5)

2021-10-21
20:00-23:21

I brought my telescope out to take a look at Venus before it set. It was just above my neighbor’s shed. It was at 0.53 phase, gibbous but nearly a half phase, and about 10 degrees above the horizon, larger in apparent size than the last time I looked at it a few weeks ago. Atmospheric turbulence that low in the sky causes lots of color variations but overall it was sharp. With my small telescope unstable air tends to make entire planets move around instead distorting the planet itself.

I decided then to do some star hopping. I noted that Gaff’s Cluster should be in view and I don’t believe I’ve viewed it before so I decided to hop my way to it. I started with Altair since it was nice and bright and one of the few stars visible by eye in my Bortle 8 skies. From there I went to u Aquilae. I had two faint satellites cross my field of view from west to east. Then I hopped down to Deneb Okab while my neighbor turned on a blinding porch light 😞. Just above this star was an interesting string of faint magnitude ~8 stars, one of which is the eclipsing binary star system V1454 Aquilae. Though I looked at it very carefully, I could not detect a companion star. I went on down to the double star 23 Aquilae. Once again I could not split the stars even with the 5 mm eyepiece (91.8x). I moved west to 21 Aquilae and another satellite, NOAA 19, crossed my view. Went down to the globular cluster NGC 6760 and a bright, unknown satellite crossed my field of view. Unfortunately, with my city lights the cluster was at the “ESP” level of detection. In other words, I could only imagine it was there. I temporarily got lost in space after that but soon found myself at the double star HIP 94331. At magnitude 7.5, it got pretty faint with the 5 mm eyepiece and I could not see a companion. I then star hopped my way over to the beautiful triple star system Alya (Theta Serpentis). Two main stars were clearly visible even with my 25 mm eyepiece (18.36x). Both stars were white but the more easterly star was slightly bluer and just a very little bit dimmer. Before leaving the pair another satellite zoomed past the pair. I left Alya and hopped to another double star HIP 92027. These were a much fainter pair and very close though I could split them clearly with my 5 mm. Both were white/blue with the northern star being the brightest. I hopped from there to Graff’s cluster, which was the main target for the evening just in time before it went behind the trees! It was quite beautiful even my bright skies though i can only imagine how great it looks in dark skies.

Jupiter and Saturn had now moved out from behind the trees. I was able to see the usual multiple bands on Jupiter though no storms. 3 of the 4 Galilean moons were visible with Europa being hidden in front of Jupiter.

Saturn was nice and sharp with the moon Titan just above it. Saturn’s shadow was distinct against the rings. The Cassini Gap was just discernible as was a faint cloud band on Saturn’s surface.

I moved west from Saturn to the double star Alpha Capricorni. The pair were easily split and both were bluish white with the more westerly star about half as bright as the other.

Hopped over to the double stars, Omicron Capricorni (ο Capricorni), p Cap, and Okul (n Cap) and I couldn’t split any of them at maximum power (5 mm and 2X Barlow). The companions were likely within my telescope’s diffraction rings.

Turned to my east over my roof top and came across the double star HIP 10680. I could split it with low power at 25 mm and with the 5 mm I could tell that the more northern star was slightly brighter than the other. The colors were similar and mostly white. I would get a hint that one was bluer than the other but then my perception would switch. So the colors are inconclusive.

While scanning the eastern sky I came across the brilliant double star Mesarthim (Gamma Arietis) in the constellation Aries by accident with the 12 mm (38.25x) eyepiece. These are two identical white stars that with the 5 mm eyepiece look like a pair of eyes in the dark looking back at me.

The one day past full Moon came up over my rooftop. I took some good looks at it with my 12 and 5 mm eyepieces and decided then to call it a night.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: A City Dweller Report

Post by John Donne »

Thank you Steve for this excellent report.
👍👍👍
No problem with "city" reports on my account. 😊
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Thanks for your report. I didn't recognize Graff's cluster so I looked it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IC_4756
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice Steve, and I hear you on the LP! You made some great observations; good for you :D

Thanks again and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice binary/planetary session Steve! If anything we need more reports, so bring them on! :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Excellent city dweller report!
As a fellow city dweller, I recommend your report for VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Steve and you achieved some wonderful views in a Bortle 8 zone. Just goes to show that there are more items to view than just planets and the moon from the city backyard. Congratulations on the well-deserved VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Steve. A very nice observing report from you. And you are not alone as LP is a curse for most of us. You still managed some nice targets including planets, doubles, and the moon. Thanks for your well written report Steve and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Great report Steve and congratulations on the VROD!

I used observe from the top of a building in NYC, so I know what it's like.

I actually enjoy urban astronomy, it's fun pulling stuff out of the soup :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Donne »

👍👍👍 VROD YESSS!
Congratulations.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session....and great star hopping! Thoroughly enjoyed the read. Congrats on the VROD!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein