Let's see your reports!
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Astronomy Report – 2021-10-06 – Guiding and My First Imaging Session

Post by chris_g »

It’s going to be another night like last night, weather wise that is. Let’s hope I don’t have a repeat with guiding. Sunset is at 18:46 and moonset is at 19:15, astronomical twilight ends at 20:06. Moon illumination is 2.9%, not that it matters. Setup started at 17:00, the western leg had sunk a little and needed another shim. I got the roof pitch to .05” per foot and pitch and roll to 0 in the compass, tripod spots are marked for it’s final position, should be really close to True North. That took about 20 minutes. Scope and equipment will go really quick now.

I accomplished my first imaging session tonight. I took 30 90 second subs of Andromeda Nebula, with 10 dark, 10 flat, 10 dark flat and 10 bias. My focus was tight and guiding was spot on. I spent the better portion of the evening working on getting guiding to work properly. I focused on Jupiter with the Bahtinov mask then I Polar aligned using N.I.N.A.’s TPPA, starting at Jupiter in the south south east sky. I got it to less than an arc minute total error. I slewed to Andromeda, turned on guiding and snapped a single 90 second sub. My stars looked like little bars, just as if my polar alignment was off. I reran TPPA and it was reported being off by almost 7 arc minutes in RA and 9 arc minutes in Dec. I noticed this previously my last couple of sessions but wasn't sure if was something I was doing or not. I reran the entire process in the general vicinity of Andromeda until I was about 45 seconds total error then redid star alignment and snapped another 90 second sub of Andromeda, everything looked good. It seems TPPA works best when starting in the north eastern sky as that is where Andromeda likes to hang out. Someone on the forum had also indicated that some people had reported it worked better if it started close the NCP.

I finally hit the zenith of my learning curve tonight, I had some extremely frustrating nights but it’s been worth it. I ordered the Messier Astrophotography Reference book by Allen Hall, the same author that I started me on this journey back in January, Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography. It should be here some time next week. I also ordered a manual rotator for the scope so I can frame my targets, it also should be here sometime next week.

You can check out the image here. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=21047

Clear Skies!
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Astronomy Report – 2021-10-06 – Guiding and My First Imaging Session

Post by bobharmony »

Congrats on your first imaging session, the result is a great start. It sounds like you have your ducks in a row for the setup process and are taking the time to get it right. That will definitely hep with future sessions!

How did focusing on Jupiter work for you? I have never tried using the baht mask with anything but a star, and am curious about how effective it is with an extended object like a planet. When possible I like to use a bright star near my target for the night to focus on. By platesolving the star and syncing the scope in APT, it can make the slew to the target closer than a more distant object would. For M31, I often use Caph in Cassiopeia for focusing with the mask.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

bobharmony wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:26 pm Congrats on your first imaging session, the result is a great start. It sounds like you have your ducks in a row for the setup process and are taking the time to get it right. That will definitely hep with future sessions!

How did focusing on Jupiter work for you? I have never tried using the baht mask with anything but a star, and am curious about how effective it is with an extended object like a planet. When possible I like to use a bright star near my target for the night to focus on. By platesolving the star and syncing the scope in APT, it can make the slew to the target closer than a more distant object would. For M31, I often use Caph in Cassiopeia for focusing with the mask.

Bob
Quite well actually, the refraction spikes totally stand out on Jupiter and then I used the moons to fine tune the focus to get them as tight as I could, worked quite well for my first run. Thanks for the advise on focusing, knowing how others do things is always is a good thing! :text-thankyoublue:
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Congrats on the victory against the guiding hardships!
Nice picture too,
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.