Let's see your reports!
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Astronomy Report – 2021-10-04 First Light Baader Hyperion EP, N.I.N.A. TPPA

Post by chris_g »

The weather was a pleasant surprise, it was supposed to rain in the late afternoon and early evening, which it did not. I took advantage and set up. I had gotten a complete set of Hyperion 5mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 17mm, 21mm and 24mm eye pieces. They are a very nice set. I also discovered Nighttime Imaging “N” Astronomy (N.I.N.A.). It has a Polar Alignment tool called Three Point Polar Alignment (TPPA) that I wanted to test since I can ‘t see Polaris. Sunset was at 18:49 and moonset was at 18:09. A truly wonderful night for observing and if lucky some imaging for testing purposes.

I’ll start with TPPA since it’s the first thing that needs to be done anyway. It’s a simple process. It starts at a position you designate and plate solves, moves a set number of degrees and plate solves again then moves again one more time and plate solves. It does some calculations then tells you which way to move the manual RA and DEC controls on your mount. It took me about 30 minutes to get to the point below but that was primarily me learning not to crank the adjustments like radio knobs as well as learning what direction to turn them in.. I figure though that the next time won’t take me nearly as long. Once I got it to this point, I did a One Star alignment on Jupiter but could see that Jupiter was still drifting, however, when I slewed to Saturn it was in the eye piece of the 5mm. The beauty of this setup is that you can do this whenever you want and as often as you need to and most importantly, it’s free, unlike every other tool I looked at. I reworked the alignment after almost crashing the scope into the tripod. I told it to slew to Saturn when she had just crossed the meridian. The mount started a Meridian Flip. Luckily, I caught it just in time before it did some damage to my guide scope. I need to check the settings to prevent that from happening again.
TPPA.jpg
Once I was back on track, I broke out the Hyperion EP and started with the 24mm. For those who read this, these eye pieces were Henry’s, "Henkmeister". They fall right in line with what I want to do in that they can be used both for visual and AP. I’ll take care of them and they will get lots of use for the years to come. They will most likely be the only eyepieces I will ever need, though I learned long ago to never say never.

The contrast and clarity compared to the 25m Plossl was stark. These EP also have a 68 degree FOV and you can lose yourself in the view. Now I understand why it could almost be compared to the view of actually being in space. The set can also be attached directly to my Canon with an adapter. I should be getting that soon as well. I could just make out the Cassini Division using the 2x Barlow with the 5mm or perhaps that was just my eye playing tricks on me. I had an odd experience with the Barlow. When I first looked in, all I got was a whole lot of nothing. I thought that maybe there was something in the design that was preventing them from being used with the Barlow but that didn’t make sense to me. I switched back to the Plossl and things were working fine. I switched back and blinked and Saturn showed up briefly then disappeared again. I’m thinking it’s something to do with my eye not looking straight into the eyepiece and the coating used in them, I have a slight astigmatism. Maybe someone who happens to read this can confirm for me. While they don’t work very well in F/5 scopes or faster, the coma of the scope becomes quite obvious according to Baader, the view in my 80ED F/7.5 was stunning. I also plan on eventually getting a Celestron C9.25 F/10 OTA, so these EP will be prefect in that as well.

Since my time was limited as it was a work night, I switched to the Canon for a couple of test images. It had taken me longer to get everything up and running initially. N.I.N.A. wasn’t plate solving in the sequence but it was in TPPA, made no sense to me. It was also generating an error about something in the sequence. Turns out that I had left the filter section blank, it wants Current. It also was telling me that the sequence I had set up would take no time even though I had set up 30 subs at 180 seconds. I added the same line and deleted the first one and things started working after I restarted everything including the plate solving. My target was NGC 6995. I first saw it on Stellarium back in January and knew I wanted to capture it. I can see my dog in the nebula, I call it the Scrappy Nebula. 😊 It was late and my backyard sky is extremely limited because of the trees on the west side. I only managed to capture 4 before the trees started to obstruct the view. I stopped the capture and broke everything down. A quick look told me that the Polar Alignment needed work. I got some serious elongated stars. My focus for my next session is to fine tune the Polar Alignment and get guiding working.

Clear Skies!
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Astronomy Report – 2021-10-04 First Light Baader Hyperion EP, N.I.N.A. TPPA

Post by John Donne »

Very good Chris.
If you don't have it already you should get that adapter in the next day or so.
Can't wait for more from you !
👍👍👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the EPs and the first light Chris! I believe Henry would be happy that they are in the good hands and been used.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice report!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

chris_g wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:58 pm I had an odd experience with the Barlow. When I first looked in, all I got was a whole lot of nothing. I thought that maybe there was something in the design that was preventing them from being used with the Barlow but that didn’t make sense to me. I switched back to the Plossl and things were working fine. I switched back and blinked and Saturn showed up briefly then disappeared again. I’m thinking it’s something to do with my eye not looking straight into the eyepiece and the coating used in them, I have a slight astigmatism. Maybe someone who happens to read this can confirm for me. While they don’t work very well in F/5 scopes or faster, the coma of the scope becomes quite obvious according to Baader, the view in my 80ED F/7.5 was stunning.

The Hyperion's have 20mm eye relief, Plossls generally much less. When you use a conventional Barlow, the eye relief will get longer on the eyepiece being Barlowed, 20% or more. With long eye relief eyepieces like the Hyperion eye placement typically becomes more critical, and when your eye is not position exactly correct, then blackouts or kidney bean can occur. So if Saturn was vanishing for you, likely a momentary blackout occurred due to improper eye positioning. With long eye relief eyepieces sitting becomes more important when observing as your head will have less motions and you can more easily keep a proper viewing position for the eyepiece. Extending eye guards also help, and a few eyepieces with this issue came with an exit pupil guide to place over the eye lens to make proper eye placement easier (e.g., TV Radian).

As far as the coma issue, no eyepiece currently made, from premium to cheapie, will correct coma even in the slightest. So if you see coma in the inexpensive eyepiece, then you will see it to the same severity in the expensive premium of same focal length and same AFOV. Coma may visually appear less off-axis in a Plossle vs. a 68 degree eyepiece, but that is only because as one moves out further in the AFOV the coma gets worse. At the same 50 degree AFOV position or same TFOV position the coma will look the same regardless of the eyepiece. So in the off-axis the coma will not be affected by the eyepiece as that abberation is coming from the mirror.

I used to have the full set of Baader Hyperions and enjoyed them immensely. I particularly liked using the fine tuning rings with them. Very comfortable eyepiece and nice AFOV. I used them in scopes ranging from f/4.7 to f/8 and enjoyed them. The 24mm Hyperion was the least complex design at only 4 or 5 elements, instead of 8 like the rest of the Hyperion line. As a result, it does less well in faster focal ratios like f/5. If you use mirrored scopes of f/5 or shorter, best to get a coma corrector.
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

The set came with two guard pieces , I thought it was to help prevent light from entering from the side, now I know precisely what they are for. Thank you for the information, it is very much appreciated.
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Good job, Chris - sounds like the Hyperion's went to a good home! Have fun with them.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hello Chris. Congratulations on the Hyperion eyepiece set and you had a great first light with them. Thanks for your well written and fun read observing report Chris and the best of wishes on clear skies for more observing opportunities for you to enjoy again soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Excellent report and congrats on winning today's VROD Chris.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Donne »

VROD 👍👍👍 YESSS!
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

helicon wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:41 pm Excellent report and congrats on winning today's VROD Chris.
Thanks for the VROD, I also wanted to thank Henry and @John Donne. Henry's EP made it possible and Mark for entrusting them to me. I hope to contribute many more such reports using them. Mark also found the adapter that allows the EP to connect directly to my Canon, so once I work out my learning curve with AP, I hope to post many afocal images with them as well as prime focus.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

WilliamPaolini wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:17 pm
chris_g wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:58 pm I had an odd experience with the Barlow. When I first looked in, all I got was a whole lot of nothing. I thought that maybe there was something in the design that was preventing them from being used with the Barlow but that didn’t make sense to me. I switched back to the Plossl and things were working fine. I switched back and blinked and Saturn showed up briefly then disappeared again. I’m thinking it’s something to do with my eye not looking straight into the eyepiece and the coating used in them, I have a slight astigmatism. Maybe someone who happens to read this can confirm for me. While they don’t work very well in F/5 scopes or faster, the coma of the scope becomes quite obvious according to Baader, the view in my 80ED F/7.5 was stunning.

The Hyperion's have 20mm eye relief, Plossls generally much less. When you use a conventional Barlow, the eye relief will get longer on the eyepiece being Barlowed, 20% or more. With long eye relief eyepieces like the Hyperion eye placement typically becomes more critical, and when your eye is not position exactly correct, then blackouts or kidney bean can occur. So if Saturn was vanishing for you, likely a momentary blackout occurred due to improper eye positioning. With long eye relief eyepieces sitting becomes more important when observing as your head will have less motions and you can more easily keep a proper viewing position for the eyepiece. Extending eye guards also help, and a few eyepieces with this issue came with an exit pupil guide to place over the eye lens to make proper eye placement easier (e.g., TV Radian).

As far as the coma issue, no eyepiece currently made, from premium to cheapie, will correct coma even in the slightest. So if you see coma in the inexpensive eyepiece, then you will see it to the same severity in the expensive premium of same focal length and same AFOV. Coma may visually appear less off-axis in a Plossle vs. a 68 degree eyepiece, but that is only because as one moves out further in the AFOV the coma gets worse. At the same 50 degree AFOV position or same TFOV position the coma will look the same regardless of the eyepiece. So in the off-axis the coma will not be affected by the eyepiece as that abberation is coming from the mirror.

I used to have the full set of Baader Hyperions and enjoyed them immensely. I particularly liked using the fine tuning rings with them. Very comfortable eyepiece and nice AFOV. I used them in scopes ranging from f/4.7 to f/8 and enjoyed them. The 24mm Hyperion was the least complex design at only 4 or 5 elements, instead of 8 like the rest of the Hyperion line. As a result, it does less well in faster focal ratios like f/5. If you use mirrored scopes of f/5 or shorter, best to get a coma corrector.
Which of these Hyperion eyepieces is the standout in best performance? Thanks
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

IMO, back in the day when I used them, I found the 8mm and the 13mm the best overall, followed by the 5mm and 17mm. The 24mm was a good "finder" eyepiece but the off-axis was not so hot in faster focal ratios due to its different design. The 21mm came out after I sold them so I have no experience with that one.
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed