In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

nFA observing report 03 October 2021

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Well, this is less of an observing report and more a follow up to the report:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20939

in which I expressed the hope to be testing the Altair Astro 2” Quad Band OSC Filter for visual use. It didn’t happen, this is why and what I did otherwise.

My first mistake was to violate my customary practice of setting up in daylight. The plan was to use the TS 102 ED f11 with the new Apertura RACI finder that I got based on the @Bigzmey recommendation,

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=18360

the CG5 mount, along with the Altair Astro 2” Quad Band OSC, the new Baader T2 Prism diagonal, the Maxbright binoviewer, and the Baader Mark IV zooms. This would try out a whole bunch of stuff that was waiting to be tested. It didn’t happen.

The floodlights weren’t on! So, I started setup at 9pm. The first glitch was that the hand controller for the CG5 was nowhere to be found. Last use was at a friend’s place. (Emails confirm its discovery and eventual return, so a temporary inconvenience.)

The Porta II mount should be able to carry the refractor. I set it up. Loaded as it was with the frac, finder, filter and binoviewer, balance was tricky but a success. I could not reach focus. At this point I am starting to miss my Baader Mark V binoviewer and regret selling it. Nevertheless, never having trouble with binoviewers on CATs I decided to switch to the VMC100L on the Orion Star Seeker III and move on to Plan B.

That failed too. It turns out that my complaint about the Celestron battery failing was unjustified. The connections to the SSIII mount are shorting out on both the power and hand controller side. Looks like I’m in the market for an altazimuth mount that is goto and in the 10-20lb capacity range. :lol:

By this time, it was 10pm and my neighbor with the floodlights appeared at his back door complete with an evil grin and turned on the floods. At that point I noticed that he had trimmed back his trees in a way that the shade from his floods was minimized.

Plan C. Quad band filter off, tri band filter on. VMC110L on the Porta II. The binoviewer would not come to focus.

It was time for plan D. Off with the binoviewer. Back with the Vixen diagonal and the Baader Mark IV zoom for enjoyable viewing of Jupiter and Saturn. Seeing was comparable to the previous report with maximum magnification at about 10mm equivalent. Being able to dial in the maximum magnification for seeing conditions was very convenient and I think that the Baader Mark IV zooms may actually outperform my pseudo Masuyama collection. Some details for this hypothesis follow.

I could make out Titan, Dione, Rhea and Tethys at Saturn and the rings were crisper with the shadow of Saturn more distinct across the rings. No Cassini division though.

At Jupiter definition of the belts was better than last time and with Io to one side and Calisto, Europa, and Ganymede to the opposite side in increasing distance order the Galilean satellites were all on good behavior.

Having at last achieved some success I decided to pack it in. I like to always end a session on a positive note.
Last edited by notFritzArgelander on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: nFA observing report 03 October 2021

Post by John Donne »

That was quite the outing.
Dang!
Your endurance is commendable Sir. 👍
From my reading it seems like you took things in stride and the satisfaction with Jupiter and Saturn was well deserved.
I am glad for that.
Thank you for sharing and clear skies to you.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I hope, seeing Jupiter, Saturn and their moons brought the blood pressure back to normal?
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:28 am I hope, seeing Jupiter, Saturn and their moons brought the blood pressure back to normal?
I doubt it ever got too high except for the normal exercise of shifting plans.

I never get terribly excited about setbacks. They are always temporary. That is, except for the last and final setback! :lol: I tend to work methodically through difficulties. The nice thing about having much gear is that there is always SOMETHING that works. :)

The downside of being fairly level headed is that I tend to attract romantic partners who think that they can get away with anything and I'll just methodically work through things. ;) I'm less forgiving of human intentional disasters and follow a 3 times and out procedure. Equipment doesn't try to mess with you and is malice free, mostly. :lol:
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Your neighbor sounds like a word I will not type out, starts with p, ends with k.

I know you are planning on moving soon enough, but if I were in your shoes, I'd build a HUGE fence. Which in retrospect, is probably what he wants.

Although, it sounds like if you did that, he'd erect a pole for this flood lights.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

KingNothing13 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:16 pm Your neighbor sounds like a word I will not type out, starts with p, ends with k.

I know you are planning on moving soon enough, but if I were in your shoes, I'd build a HUGE fence. Which in retrospect, is probably what he wants.

Although, it sounds like if you did that, he'd erect a pole for this flood lights.
Fortunately, I'm only renting at the moment so I'd not invest in a fence. I've been thinking about a portable hunting blind, though. Perhaps creating some mystery about what I'm up to? ;)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:46 pm (...)I've been thinking about a portable hunting blind, though. Perhaps creating some mystery about what I'm up to? ;)
I think that is a great plan!

On one of my holiday adresses, a neigbor stood a long time in his garden, watching me. Then he decided to put all his garden lights on. I am sure he rejoiced at the inconvenience he caused.
I didn't flinch and turning my back to him I showed glaringly that I was using his profusion of light to peer into my atlas. And put my hood on. The next night the lights stayed out......
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Neighbors, right? After all the "pleasure" they gave us over the years our top priority for the new place was as few and as far away as possible. :lol:

As for the AltAz Goto after much of researching I picked iOptron AZ Mount Pro. So far I had only two session with it but I like it. It is rock solid, trucks and GoTo nicely, has built in battery, can be used in one or two scopes mode, and rated 33lb on the main side an 10lb on the other. It also has native support of SkySafari. And of cause as many nice products now is out of stock. :lol: I got mine used.

https://www.ioptron.com/product-p/8900.htm
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:02 pm Neighbors, right? After all the "pleasure" they gave us over the years our top priority for the new place was as few and as far away as possible. :lol:
Agreed on that! The previous home in VA had that advantage. This place is temporary.
As for the AltAz Goto after much of researching I picked iOptron AZ Mount Pro. So far I had only two session with it but I like it. It is rock solid, trucks and GoTo nicely, has built in battery, can be used in one or two scopes mode, and rated 33lb on the main side an 10lb on the other. It also has native support of SkySafari. And of cause as many nice products now is out of stock. :lol: I got mine used.

https://www.ioptron.com/product-p/8900.htm
I've been looking at that, actually. I think that I'm done with the Star Seeker line. I'm a klutz and have been known to drop hand controllers and batteries which over the years has probably caused the connectors to get loose. I'd hope the iOptron has more robust connectors? The price of it may persuade me to wait, use the totally manual Vixen Porta II for gab and go sessions and then simply get the iOptron CEM40. :Think:
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:47 pm I've been looking at that, actually. I think that I'm done with the Star Seeker line. I'm a klutz and have been known to drop hand controllers and batteries which over the years has probably caused the connectors to get loose. I'd hope the iOptron has more robust connectors? The price of it may persuade me to wait, use the totally manual Vixen Porta II for gab and go sessions and then simply get the iOptron CEM40. :Think:
I can't talk about longevity yet, but both AZMP and CEM lines have good reputation. But stay away from CubePro, nothing pro about it. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Glad to hear your Porta is handling that beast!

I had a c102 f11 achro on mine years ago and it wasn't too happy.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:18 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:47 pm I've been looking at that, actually. I think that I'm done with the Star Seeker line. I'm a klutz and have been known to drop hand controllers and batteries which over the years has probably caused the connectors to get loose. I'd hope the iOptron has more robust connectors? The price of it may persuade me to wait, use the totally manual Vixen Porta II for gab and go sessions and then simply get the iOptron CEM40. :Think:
I can't talk about longevity yet, but both AZMP and CEM lines have good reputation. But stay away from CubePro, nothing pro about it. :lol:
Yes, I had really a bad experience with one, a present for my younger daughter. We went with an ES altazimuth manual mount. The CubePro is too plastic for words. :)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Ylem wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:28 pm Glad to hear your Porta is handling that beast!

I had a c102 f11 achro on mine years ago and it wasn't too happy.
Well, balancing it was a bit of care!
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi nFA. An excellent report all things considered. I am glad that you got to have the observing session, even with the problems you incurred. As to neighbors, I would suspect this in some large cities but not out in the west. And, I looked up the Altair tri band filter from your last report, and it is now on my future purchase list for a versatile 2" DSO observing filter. Thanks for your report nFA, and the best of wishes on your next session.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Makuser wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:04 pm Hi nFA. An excellent report all things considered. I am glad that you got to have the observing session, even with the problems you incurred. As to neighbors, I would suspect this in some large cities but not out in the west. And, I looked up the Altair tri band filter from your last report, and it is now on my future purchase list for a versatile 2" DSO observing filter. Thanks for your report nFA, and the best of wishes on your next session.
I hope you like the Altair filter as much as I do. I'm eagerly awaiting sweeping about in Orion. Long term plan is to compare the Altair 2" Quad band and the Baader 2" H-beta on nebulae in Orion and Monoceros.

I think the extreme political polarization is expressing itself in folks becoming mean, nasty, paranoid, and tribal everywhere. That's, of course, a YMMV opinion. Partly, it might be that I am a religious minority. :shrug: I know that my daughter's family in SLC has plenty of trouble when her husband takes the kids to events without her. Folks question whether he is really their father and such.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

An interesting and successful report on Jupiter and Saturn observations notFritz, though you weren't ultimately able to test out various combinations of new gear, hopefully you will be able to do so in a future report. Congrats on winning the VROD for today.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

helicon wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:32 pm An interesting and successful report on Jupiter and Saturn observations notFritz, though you weren't ultimately able to test out various combinations of new gear, hopefully you will be able to do so in a future report. Congrats on winning the VROD for today.
Oh, gee…. I’m speechless. Thanks. Will try as soon as weather permits. My wandering CG5 controller came home yesterday. :)
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Enjoyable read, nFA! Reminds me of many nights I've experienced over the years. Well deserved VROD!!

I'm moving the end of the month to a "darker" neighborhood. Fortunately I've never had a malicious neighbor...just several inconsiderate ones!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Unitron48 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:36 pm Enjoyable read, nFA! Reminds me of many nights I've experienced over the years. Well deserved VROD!!

I'm moving the end of the month to a "darker" neighborhood. Fortunately I've never had a malicious neighbor...just several inconsiderate ones!!

Dave
I hope your move turns out well and mine too! :)
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Congratulations of your well deserved VROD fritz !
👍👍👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"