Let's see your reports!
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Astronomy Report -21-09-22 – First Day of Fall

Post by chris_g »

Beautiful weather and the promise of clear skies, it’s been sunny all day and I checked the forecast for the evening and it’s to be clear with temperatures in the low 60s. The sky is a beautiful shade of blue, no haze. The temperature is 74 degrees and the humidity is 53%. I don’t normally have the time to get out during the week but with such a lovely day and it being the autumnal equinox I made the time. Sunset is at 19:04 with moonrise at 20:19. The moon is waning gibbous with illumination between 95.8% and 93.3%. I started initial setup around 1515 by getting all three finder scopes mounted and easily adjustable. Now I just have to wait until work is over so I can take my phone out and use it for rough alignment.

I ordered a new dovetail today to replace the stock one that came with my ED80, it’s the Orion wide universal. I also ordered various nuts and bolts so I can mount the mini-PC to a rail of my own design. My nephew is off to Harbor Freight to pick up a power drill and a c-clamp for me. Once the dovetail arrives, I’ll get some aluminum stock and drill various holes precisely placed so I can mount the PC along with other devices mounting the rail using the tube rings’ ¼ 20-inch mount points. I’ve never been much of a DIY with anything other than building PCs so this will be a truly new experience for me.

I also made some configuration changes to the mini-PC. I can now connect wirelessly to it from within the house as it now has the ability to create its own access point.

I do hope to get some type of imaging done tonight, perhaps the Moon will be so kind as to grant me permission to take a few of her. I’m going to start with the following equipment and settings. Equipment being used is my ED80 APO F7/5 and my Canon 600D in prime focus. I’ll start with ISO setting 100 and exposure setting of 1/400 and see where that takes me. Hopefully tracking will be good for me tonight so I can try and experiment with different ISO settings and longer exposures

Rough Polar Alignment started at 17:10, completed at 17:30. I went out at sundown and enjoyed the evening air until darkness. I then spent the next couple of hours trying to accomplish an alignment using SynScan's 1 Star process and Jupiter as the star, never got a good alignment after multiple attempts. I’d start the alignment and the Go To function would get close to Jupiter, I’d then use the RA and Dec adjustment knobs on the mount to center Jupiter in the cross hairs of the reticle, boy what a pain that was. I ended up doing that so many times I lost count of how many attempts I made. No matter how many times I did it, Jupiter would drift. I would track over to another star and there would be nothing in the EP. I’d then Go To back to Jupiter and it would be almost where it started at. I will figure out what I’m doing wrong, it was just extremely frustrating. At least until I hooked up the Canon and started taking moon shots. I did get an alignment good enough to take quite a few shots of the Moon once she came up, alignment isn’t quite so critical with the Moon and I wasn’t taking super long exposures. I learned I need extension tubes to achieve prime focus with the Canon connected directly to the OTA. I’ll process them tomorrow and see what I can see.

Clear Skies!
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Astronomy Report -21-09-22 – First Day of Fall

Post by John Donne »

Good time Chris even with a bit of frustration.
Looking forward to an image.

👍👍👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

You did select the correct tracking mode (sidereal/lunar/...)?
And your date and time were right?
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

John Donne wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:57 am Good time Chris even with a bit of frustration.

👍👍👍
Frustration is a part of learning process, and boy did I learn last night! I'm thinking my alignment issues was starting from a bad set of GPS coordinates. The ones from the star party were still in the mount and by the time I had realized that, I had wacked the RA and AZ knobs so far out it was gong to be impossible to get a decent alignment. It's another clear night tonight so I am going to set up again and see what I can achieve with the alignment and get some more shots of the Moon.
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

turboscrew wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:40 pm You did select the correct tracking mode (sidereal/lunar/...)?
Yes I did, thinking bad set of GPS coordinates to start. So much to learn and pretty sure I won't soon forget that lesson. I spent two hours trying to align.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

chris_g wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:47 pm
turboscrew wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:40 pm You did select the correct tracking mode (sidereal/lunar/...)?
Yes I did, thinking bad set of GPS coordinates to start. So much to learn and pretty sure I won't soon forget that lesson. I spent two hours trying to align.
Those little things are just so easy to forget... :lol:
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

chris_g wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:45 pm
John Donne wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:57 am Good time Chris even with a bit of frustration.

👍👍👍
Frustration is a part of learning process, and boy did I learn last night! I'm thinking my alignment issues was starting from a bad set of GPS coordinates. The ones from the star party were still in the mount and by the time I had realized that, I had wacked the RA and AZ knobs so far out it was gong to be impossible to get a decent alignment. It's another clear night tonight so I am going to set up again and see what I can achieve with the alignment and get some more shots of the Moon.
I have entered wrong numbers into my alignment process more than once...😊
Self inflicted...
I will attempt an outing this evening as well. Should be a nice sky in Central Illinois.
Clear skies to you Chris.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Frustration is absolutely part of the learning process!

The idea is to get most of the frustrating issues solved so one day you can go out and have a smooth session!

Even with most issues solved, things pop up anyway. That’s what makes this hobby so challenging and fun! If it were easy, it really wouldn’t be much fun.

The moon is 90% tonight, but my skies are looking good for an imaging session! Excitement is setting in!

Looking forward to your images!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Sometimes the windshield, sometimes the bug. :)

The ED80 should produce some great lunar images. I've not used mine too much. Need to pick up a field flattener. Or maybe not. AP really burned me out. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100