Moon, Planets, and Doubles

Let's see your reports!
KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Moon, Planets, and Doubles

Post by KingNothing13 »

Moon, Planets and Doubles

The Recent spate of posting older reports has spurred me to start building my reports in OneNote then posting here, so I have a record of them locally as well. Of course, this means that my observations are now in many, many places - SkySafari (and Live Sky), the Access Database that I use the exports from Livesky with, and now OneNote, in a more verbose form. Because that's not confusing! Anyway, on with the show.

Date: 09.19.2021

First clear night in a while, and of course, it is nearly a full moon. Oh well, make lemonade and all that.

Getting colder at night now.

Double Stars were taken from the "Colored Doubles" list that is downloadable in SkySafari, which I believe is mostly built from the RASC Handbook's Colored Double Stars List

Jupiter - Bright tonight, belts visible in the south. North - not so much. Europa and Ganymede to the east, Callisto to the west - Io is behind the planet currently. Testing variable polarizer, which is a washout - not working so well. Put in the 82A and the 11mm and there are some interesting features appearing in the cloud belts, both north and south. The southern belt has a dip in it to the east. (for lack of a better term); The in-between belts have some color to them - they are appearing as a light beige-ish to me. Ha, the dip mentioned earlier is the GRS - (duh). Looks really good tonight. I will always visit Jupiter when I have a chance.

Moon - The moon and it's components. Using a variable polarizer. Some amazing mountain ranges in the south. Very beautiful. Same for the northeast - all on the visible limb. Moon is not nearly as bright with the filter, I appreciate that. Makes picking these details easier. Tried the 82A - moon too much for it - left a burn on my retina! Variable is the better for this night. Not much of a shocker there. I love the HUGE spray pattern coming out of crater Tycho. Very cool. Similar on crater Copernicus. I assume those would end up being mountain ranges on the surface, leading into and out of the craters. Found a really neat shadow on the north of the moon - not sure what it is casting it, but it is large. Whatever it is, is really close to the North West limb. Using the 6.7 on it doesn't resolve it any further.

{The following three are just specific observations I entered for specific craters that I could identify}

Aristrchus - Very striking feature. A white splotch in the middle of a lot of grey. Some nice craters and ranges to it's SE.

Tycho - Nice spray pattern on this crater.

Copernicus - Also has a nice spray pattern.

Dabih Major (Beta1 Capricorni) {Double Star in Capricorn}- Wow - nice pair - large separation between the two - the leading star is a dimmer blue, "ice" blue, a very nice hue. The trailing star is a brighter orange. The orangeish star almost looks like it has a double as well- like a growth hanging off it. But that could be my scope and vision. Seems to fade in and out. Probably air waves.

70 Ophiuchi{Double Star in Ophiuchus} - Wow - they are a tight double - both are orange in color, very tight together. The dimmer of the two lies I want to say to the NE? but could be wrong on that one. {SkySafari says the separation is 6.7"}

Neptune - Small and dim, stellar in appearance. Has a "guide" star leading it to the west. Bumping up to the 11 doesn't help the planet much. Still cool to see. Wonder if it was a little washed out due to the (nearly) full moon.

Tau1 Aquarii {Double Star in Aquarius} - Bright main star, compared to the companion, which sits SW of the main. It is very dim (I am sure not aided by the nearly full moon). Main is white/blue. Companion is probably the same. It does sit a good separation away though, easily split.

Alfirk (Beta Cephi) {Double Star in Cephus} - Wow. That's a bright blue for the main star. The companion is split, and is leading to the west. I think it is also blue, but it is not nearly as bright, nor as striking.

I also popped over to M31, but did not log it - it was very prominent, even with the (nearly) full moon.

It was getting a little chilly at this point, and Monday (today) is a work day, so I packed it up and went back inside. All-in-all, a good night that I will take. :lol:
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Moon, Planets, and Doubles

Post by helicon »

Great report Brett and you proved that there still is a lot to observe when luna is nearly full. Congrats on capturing today's VROD!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Very nice report Brett.
I have enjoyed reading.
Nice detail on jupiter.

And I am always in awe when folks post views of Neptune.
I have trouble being sure of that one. 😊

If you don't go blind the moon has a great deal to offer.

Congratulations on your VROD award !
👍👍👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

helicon wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:25 pm Great report Brett and you proved that there still is a lot to observe when luna is nearly full. Congrats on capturing today's VROD!
Thanks Michael! It was a good night, and can definitely feel the cold starting to settle in now. Been wanting to try doubles during a full moon for a while now, finally got the chance!

John Donne wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:32 pm Very nice report Brett.
I have enjoyed reading.
Nice detail on jupiter.

And I am always in awe when folks post views of Neptune.
I have trouble being sure of that one. 😊

If you don't go blind the moon has a great deal to offer.

Congratulations on your VROD award !
👍👍👍
Thanks! Neptune was pretty obvious when I saw it (with the help of the Nexus II). With the Polarizing filter it softens the moon and makes it viewable! And there are some nice features on it.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Brett. A very nice observing report from you. It looks like even with the full moon you had a good session. And, the variable polarizing filter is perfect when viewing the bright full moon. Thanks for posting your well written report Brett, and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice report. Good detailed description of Jupiter. I also enjoyed the descriptions of details of the moon - you don't see that too often these days. Well worth the VROD!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice all around session Brett! Good catch of GRS transit and I agree that polarizing filter does not work well on planets.

Congrats on VROD!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Sounds like a good night to me. Well done, Brett! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100