Let's see your reports!
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Another Blast from the Past...

Post by bladekeeper »

So with my friend Andrey's posting of his "blast from the past" report, I thought I'd dig up one I'd originally posted on the old AF forum from just over 3 years ago, back when I thought I knew what I was doing. :lol:

I left the mentioned lunar images out of this re-post as there were a lot of them, and honestly, not my best efforts with lunar photography, so no need in cluttering up server space with those. :lol:

Anyway, hope you find this report at least marginally entertaining and perhaps useful on pushing the observing envelope and some insight on how I went about it. Scope and eyepieces used are mentioned in the report. :)

September 14th, 2018

Man, what a freakin’ busy day at work. Right off the bat, it was problem solve, problem solve, problem solve. And recon this, recon that, balance spreadsheets, monitor progress, make decisions, get mad, eat lunch, and start all over again. Fridays seem to die hard.

By the time that part was done, I was glad to be coming home. After a very long and arduous 2-minute drive to my house, I was ready to re-freakin’-lax.

The sky was looking pretty favorable. I’ve seen better skies, but I’ve seen a whole lot more that were worse. I went out and unlocked the shed and swung the doors open to let the inside acclimate to the outside. It was hot today after a couple of weeks of almost autumn-like temperatures. Summer has re-asserted itself.

After eating some heated-up leftovers from yesterday (bleh!) I ventured back out and set up the AVX mount with the C6-R. I was hoping to do a few more lunar captures to catch the progress of the terminator across the disk, and maybe grab a planet or two. I also brought out the 12” dob. Maybe another go at Pluto? Some galaxy work after the Moon departed into the west?

Back inside to harass the forum for a little while. About 1930 hrs., I deemed it not quite light enough to prevent lunar captures, so back out I went.

The Moon was reasonably high up compared to last night. I went straight to the 2× barlow. I brought up SharpCap on my laptop, focused the Moon, and was already sitting on an interesting group of surface features. I ran off 1000 frames of that mess, moved to the top of the disk, and worked my way back down along the terminator, capturing 1000-frame SER files at each stop. After hitting the lower limb, I nabbed a couple more at random spots here and there.

Each of these is the best 10% of 1000 frames, AS!2 for stacking, RS6 for wavelets, and PS for cropping and posting reduction.

1. Moon
(Moon of Earth in Libra, mag -8.6, 31.1% illuminated)
Imaged: Sep 14, 2018 at 19:34:20
Comment: See images.
Equipment: C6-R, ZWO ASI120MM-S, 2× barlow

***THIS IS WHERE THE LUNAR IMAGES WERE IN THE ORIGINAL AF POSTING***

After those were in the can, I returned inside to run my data through the gauntlet of my medieval processing skillset and to let the dark arrive.

Back out about 2115 hrs. While waiting on dark adaption, I performed a 2+3 alignment on the AVX. I skipped the PA because I don’t care.

Got all my eyepieces arranged and carted my table over to the dob. Let’s see about this Pluto business again.

Centering Albaldah (π Sagittarii) in the telrad, I moved to the RACI and slid to the southeast to hit HR 7276, stepped off HD 179609, and leaped eastward a degree and a half and lighted upon HR 7327. Once secure on this star, I moved to the 18mm 82° in the focuser.

I dropped north slightly and found my all too familiar “Pluto field” with my little elongated trapezium of stars with 11.57 GSC 6309-0098 right in the middle. Pluto should again be just westward of this star, but it had traveled a hair farther away from my last effort a few nights ago.

I quickly swapped out the 18mm for the 12.5mm KK ortho. I let the field drift through a couple of times and then reached for my 2× barlow.

Pluto was now hovering over a small triangle of GSCII stars that were magnitudes 13.8, 14.2, and 13.7. If I could pick out these three stars, then I might have a shot at Pluto.

I added the 12.5mm to the barlow and set that arrangement in the focuser. I let the field pass through the FOV a few times and I could begin to see the small little pinpoints of my small triangle stars. Cool!

I watch with averted vision through multiple passes for Pluto to emerge, but I got nothing.

I swapped out the barlowed KK for the 82° 6.7mm. Not a good idea. The contrast went down and my little dim stars disappeared. Bah!

Swapped that eyepiece out for the barlow again, and this time added the BCO 10mm.

I pulled my field back to the right and let it drift back through. Two brighter stars, there’s my little dim triangle, avert for Pluto, wait for it, wait for it. Nothing. Pull back to the right, two brighter stars, dim little triangle, avert…maybe, something was there. Pull back, two stars, triangle, nope. Pull back, two stars, triangle, BAM!

2. Pluto - NEW
(Planet in Sagittarius, mag 14.3, 100.0% illuminated)
Observed: Sep 14, 2018 at 22:03:22
Comment: Holy crap! Murderously tough! When I hit a pocket of steady air, Pluto flashed into existing and rode through the FOV, standing out quite nicely as a very small grey dot. The visage lasted about 3 seconds and blipped back out. Holy cow! That was awesome!
Equipment: AD12, BCO 10mm, 2× barlow

I almost jumped up to do a funky chicken dance but thought I might knock the scope off-target so I kept my seat. I pulled back and let the field drift several more times and repeated my observation. None of the subsequent sightings were quite as long in duration as the first, but it was definitely repeatable.

That moment when the air steadied and Pluto emerged will be one of those images in my mind that will haunt me forever.

For a little eye relief, I swung over to easily seen Mars to have a gander. I still had the barlowed 10mm in the focuser.

3. Mars
(Planet in Capricornus)
Observed: Sep 14, 2018 at 22:09:31
Comment: Sharp and bright polar cap! Wow! And I can see the dark shadows of Mare Acidalium, Mare Erythraeum, and Sinus Meridiani.
Equipment: AD12, BCO 10mm, 2× barlow

That was cool! That was the best view of Mars I’ve had all summer long!

Wonder if a monochrome capture would turn out?

I went back inside and brought my laptop back outside with me. At the C6-R, I slewed over to Saturn first and got the ringed planet centered in a 20mm eyepiece. I then barlowed the ZWO and hooked it up. Focus, adjust exposure, run off 1000 frames. Done.

6. Saturn
(Planet in Sagittarius, mag 0.4, 99.8% illuminated)
Imaged: Sep 14, 2018 at 22:23:00
Comment See image.
Equipment: C6-R, ZWO ASI120MM-S, 2× barlow
20180914-22_23_00_e11111111_ap75.png
Slewing over to Mars, I had to knock the exposure down a few notches. I ran off a 1000 frames, kicked the exposure back another notch, and tossed another 1000 in the can. I can’t tell much difference between the two. But, if you squint hard enough, you can see the same surface features that I noted in my observing notes above.
20180914-22_25_26_e11111111_ap43.png

Since I got Pluto nailed down and was well practiced at this point with little tiny dim points of light, I thought I’d let Neptune scooch a little higher and see if I’d have any luck with its brightest moon Triton. I went back inside to crank my Saturn and Mars images through the wringer and finish up my earlier lunar captures.

Back out about 2300 hrs., I sighted in the little group of three stars that are the ψ Aquarii’s in the telrad, and then RACI’d north two hairs to hit χ Aquarii and on up to φ Aquarii. I could see Neptune in the RACI at that point.

7. Neptune
(Planet in Aquarius, mag 7.8, 100.0% illuminated)
Observed: Sep 14, 2018 at 23:17:14
Comment: A nice little blue ball. I laid the power to it and I got a decent little blue disk. Of course, no detail other than the color of the small disk. Good to see Neptune again!
Equipment: AD12, ES 82° 18mm. KK Ortho 12.5mm

Now let’s see about this moon. Sky Safari told me that Neptune and Triton were enjoying 11.3” of separation. Hmm.

8. Triton - NEW
(Moon of Neptune in Aquarius, mag 13.6)
Observed: Sep 14, 2018 at 23:17:43
Comment: Triton appears as little pimple on the edge of Neptune’s disk. It is intermittent and very briefly separates and becomes its own pinpoint of light then merges back as Neptune’s pimple. Overall, it reminds me of trying to catch Sirius B. Very cool!
Equipment: AD12, KK Ortho 12.5mm, BCO 10mm, 2× barlow

I studied this phenomenon for a little while. Pushing the power on Triton tended to make it disappear. A barlowed ortho seemed to hide it. A wide-field was unsatisfactory, but the straight-up 12.5mm or 10mm brought the little pimple forth easily enough at 122× and 152× respectively. That’s pretty cool. Triton, not as tough as Pluto.

Uranus and moons were next on the agenda, but the planet was still quite low in the murk. After capping things off to mitigate the encroaching dew, back inside I went.

While inside, I got caught up with some live streaming scope views on YouTube. Fun stuff. That ate up about an hour. Back outside at midnight. Uranus was in a good position high in the east in Aries, just west of Pisces.

Unfortunately, I seemed to be having trouble locating a close-by naked-eye star to land on with the telrad. And since I’d left the cap of the business end of the RACI, it was haired over with dew. I had to take it back inside and spritz it with a rocket blower to clear the eyepiece. Back outside to reinstall the RACI. Much better. I ended up starting in eastern Pisces by centering Alrischa (α Piscium). I worked my way northwest 7.5° to hit ο Piscium and then broke northeast through some brighter field stars to pick up Uranus in the RACI.

9. Uranus
(Planet in Aries, mag 5.7, 100.0% illuminated)
Observed: Sep 15, 2018 at 00:13:38
Comment: A very pale icy blue dot, much colder looking than Neptune.
Equipment: AD12, ES 82° 18mm, KK Ortho 12.5mm, 2× barlow

I barlowed the 12.5mm ortho and let Uranus drift through the field a few times. Titania should be about 21” from its parent almost due west, so no worries on splitting here. After several more passes, I finally spotted my little dim point of light.

10. Titania - NEW
(Moon of Uranus in Aries, mag 13.9)
Observed: Sep 15, 2018 at 00:23:05
Comment: A very tiny and quite faint little pinpoint of light. Once I finally nailed down after several passes, I could then pick it up fairly easily. It was the merest of little pinpricks of light.
Equipment: AD12, KK Ortho 12.5mm, 2× barlow

Titania was my sole goal here, but after checking the magnitudes of the other moons, I thought Oberon should be obtainable. Because Pluto.

Oberon was a bit further to the west from Uranus, so I honed in on that spot and in short order…

11. Oberon - NEW
(Moon of Uranus in Aries, mag 14.1)
Observed: Sep 15, 2018 at 00:25:01
Comment: Another tiny and slightly fainter little pinpoint of light. After locking in Titania, I moved a little rightward and a bit further below Uranus, and after a couple more passes Oberon popped into view. For a couple more passes I could hold both little pinpricks in view. Sweet!
Equipment: AD12, KK Ortho 12.5mm, 2× barlow

I let Uranus pass a few more times and I could see the two little pinpoints riding along leading the way like two excited kids dragging a parent into a toy store.

What’s next? Some galaxies? Nope. Long day, I’m tired, and I’ve got a lot of crap in the yard that I need to put away. So that’s what I did, locked up the shed, and came back inside.

And now my report is done and I think I am done and I want to go to sleep.

A good night at the scopes.

Peace and clear skies, friends. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Another Blast from the Past...

Post by Bigzmey »

I remember that report Bryan, we were trying for Pluto about the same time. Good old days. :D

I am surprised you did not pull one with galaxies though.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:33 pm I remember that report Bryan, we were trying for Pluto about the same time. Good old days. :D

I am surprised you did not pull one with galaxies though.
I've got a couple with some galaxies in them. I may repost one sooner or later. :D

I need to get my eyepiece cases out and try to remember what I've got and how to use them. It's been too long. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

I remember that post as well, and it hasn't changed, I still cant concentrate on reading it with that cat herding avatar running in the corner hahaha ....
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

nice pics and report , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

GREAT hearing from you!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

A fine report Bryan. I can't say I recall it specifically, but then again, I can be challenged to remember to leave the house with pants on nowadays. Aging is definitely not for wimps! :lol:

I thought you might post one of your very first reports from when you first got your AD12 from Optics Mart! Perhaps one of these days. Here is another blast from the past:

Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Good show Bryan.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Thanks everybody! :)

@kt4hx Alan, I probably watched Dave's Apertura video a hundred times prior to getting my AD12. I was trying not to push my luck by selling my wife on the 8". She surprised me by saying "Why don't you just get the big one so you won't be wanting a new one later on?"

12 scopes later...:lol:
Bryan

j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello Bryan,

where are these times, gone with the winds.

Great to see you back,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Great re-post Bryan!

I remember when you got the scope and mount, and I remember this post well.

Your posts were and are very entertaining to read. Never mind the astronomy stuff!

Actually, I think that a book with all of your AF and TSS posts would be great! If you ever do it, put me down for one!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A very good report Bryan, I do not remember it from AF.net, I must have been traveling at the time.
A very enjoyable read :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

That's the style Bryan !

😊😊😊
👍👍👍

You guys are on a roll !
I love this.

Thank you.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a good read Bryan. Almost like being there with you!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Super report Bryan and your astronomical ruminations have been missed for some time. Great that you are back - plus you get the VROD award for the day for those excellent planetary catches...
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Thanks a bunch everybody, and thanks for the VROD, @helicon ! :)
Bryan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Bryan. I too remember your original post. A very nice observing report on the planets and I enjoyed seeing the old images again here on TSS. Thanks for sharing a true "golden oldie" with us Bryan, and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

That was a great re-read Bryan! Ahh, the good ol' days... Back when I'm sure my clear skies were a lot more frequent! :lol:

And yeah, congrats on the VROD and great seeing you on here again! :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
omeek United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by omeek »

That's awesome, Bryan! I dug through some of my old observing notes a while ago and remembered how much I need to improve my writing for observations! :lol:

Well done! :D
-Oliver
Telescopes: Orion XT8i, Zhumell Z12
EP's: Baader Ortho 6mm, Orion Expanse 9mm, Tele Vue 10mm Delos, ES 68° 16mm, ES 68° 24mm, 2" Q70 32mm, 2x Orion Shorty Barlow (and various Plossls)
Bino's: 12x42, 12x60