Observing Report for 25 March 2009 - say what?

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 25 March 2009 - say what?

Post by kt4hx »

Andrey's posting of an older observing report as a reminder of where he started in his observing and documenting it, inspired me to dig out my first observing report I could find in my records. While I had been observing for decades with various scopes, I truly didn't start keeping a written record of my activities until 2009 nor a simple log for that matter. That is precisely why I encourage everyone to keep a log and document in some form the details of your observations. Don't do what I did and simply observe without keeping track of your results and thus your progress as an observer. If you do, you will in all likelihood regret not doing so because in time you forget a lot of what you've done and frankly lose a part of your life that was important to you.

So here we go, from 25 March 2009, my first honest attempt to write down what I was seeing through my then 15x70 binoculars mounted on a tripod. I hadn't read these notes in years and it sort of brings a smile to my face and does jog some memories of that trip. If anything I see that I am verbose now and I was verbose then! :)

First off let me say that this is my first observing report, so please be gentle! I am on a business trip, but I did bring along my binoculars and tripod. I had some local lighting that was evident, but was situated in a shadow between two low buildings. I also had a lightdome along the western horizon. I kept my focus more to the northeast-east-southeast region, as well as overhead. I judged (as best as I can) that seeing was around 3+ and transparency was around 5+. The equipment used was my Garrett 15X70 Gemini LW binoculars on a Slik Pro 700DX tripod.

While my eyes adapted, I scanned some familiar objects. First I checked Saturn, and could see that it had "ears" from the rings being pretty much being edge on. I then moved on to M42 in Orion and was welcomed by it's soft glowing appearance. Though no real detail was evident, it still is a mesmerizing object to see at any aperture. I then went to M44 the beehive, which by now had achieved naked eye visibility for me. This one is always a pleasure to stare into - the bees drawing you deeper and deeper into their swarm. Why I didn't take a look at M67, I don't know. I finished off my prelim by drawing a bead on M35 in Gemini. Though not as bright as M44, this swarm was still pretty and worth taking time to look at for a moment. Okay, enough of that.

Down to business now. I took a quick visual check of Ursa Minor and found I could see all seven stars of the dipper, so that's good. So, based on that, I figured for my old eyes seeing was pretty good. So while I was in the area, I thought I would track down M81 and M82. I guesstimated their location and pointed the Garretts. It didn't take me long to come across that familiar pattern - a soft glowing oval with the slightly brighter cigar shape of M82 in the same field. No true detail was evident of course, but the longer you look, the brighter they seemed to be. This buoyed my hopes for the evening. So off I go in hunt of M51. I set my sites on Alkaid and moved slowly towards Cor Caroli. Barely more than one FOV width there was the patch I was looking for. Dim, but still plainly visible. I used averted vision and swear I could detect two brightening patches, one M51 and the other NGC 5195, it's partner in crime. I tried this several more times to convince myself that I was indeed barely discerning M51's companion.

Emboldened by my success, I moved further towards Cor Caroli in search of a Sunflower. I ran across M63 as a light slightly oval patch, plainly visible, but like all the galaxies I found this evening, devoid of any true detail in my binoculars. From there I moved upwards towards Chara, this time in search of M94. Again, I found that soft glow I was looking for. I was really having a blast now. So why not keep heading towards the Dipper's bowl. And as I had hoped, I ran across M106. Like the others, a faint glowing patch in the depths of night.

My confidence was up now. I decided to try three more galaxies in Ursa Major before moving on to Coma. So I swung my binoculars up to Phecda (or Phad if you prefer) in search of M109. However, try as I might I could not detect it. Disappointed, I still moved onward in search of M108. I set my sights on Merak and slid slowly back towards Phecda. After several painfully slow passes, I was just not able to detect this one either. Now, with two strikes on me, I went for one more, M101. I pointed at Alcor and Mizar and worked slowly to the northeast. I swept the field slowly, adjusting as I went back and forth, and wouldn't you know - no dice!. I know, being a face-on spiral, that it's surface brightness belies its listed magnitude of 7.7, but I would not give up. I already had two strikes, I was not going down swinging! So I stopped, took a couple of deep breaths, relaxed a bit, then went back to my starting point at Alcor/Mizar. I forced myself to slowly creep across the area. Then bam! On the second pass, I detected an ever so subtle patch that was just barely lighter than the background sky. I locked my binoculars down in position and just stared and tried averted vision. It seemed there was something there, but was there. I tapped the Garrett's lightly and yes! The pale patch moved with the background stars. I was vindicated!

Okay, now I could leave UMa with a sense of success and move on to Coma Berenices. Melotte 111 was just discernible to the naked eye, so I started out with it. My FOV could not contain it, so I scanned it slowly, just taking in the beauty of this grouping. Next stop, M53 next to Alpha Com. Worked my way there, and move slightly to the northeast. There was that little fuzz ball, clearly visible and round. However, I didn't notice its neighbor, NGC 5053 at two magnitudes dimmer. So now it's time to compare this to M3 in Canes. I slid further to the northeast and soon I was at a bigger, brighter fuzz ball. They both looked like small cotton balls against the darkness of the sky. Ok, now how about the Black-eyed galaxy, M64? Back to Alpha Com and sight a course along a line from there to Gamma Com. I follow this line and before long, I have my next faint fuzzy, a nice clearly visible oval shaped patch. Of course, I would never dream of seeing the "black-eye" with my binoculars.

By now, I am getting tired and a little cold. My neck hurts and I'm about ready to call it an evening. However, part of my plan was to bide my time waiting for Hercules to rise up. I see that familiar keystone shape lying on it's side in the northeast. So that means only one thing - M13! I lower my tripod, which I love by the way because it can extend far enough that I can get my full 6 ft height under the binoculars when looking at the zenith. Anyway, I start with Eta Her and move my way towards Zeta. It doesn't take me long to find my goal. Even at this low elevation it's bright and bold. I detect what seems to be an ever so slight mottling effect. I will be anxious to see it again later when it clears the horizon more just to see what detail I can pick out. Anyway, I wasn't getting any warmer so on to my final target. I slid the binos to the northeast and in short order I ran across my final cotton ball for the evening. M92 presented itself pretty much as M3 had, a clearly visible fuzz ball though slightly dimmer due to it's low elevation. Like M13, it would look better once it attained some elevation. That is for another time.

All in all, I am quite pleased with my outing. I don't get out as much as I would like, and when I'm on the road, I have even less time. But any time I can spend under the stars is time well spent.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 25 March 2009 - say what?

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent! If not for the date, I would not be able to tell it is your first report, Alan. As for keeping records, doing observing programs/lists certainly helps. One can't complete Messier without logging all the targets.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thanks Andrey. Lists are particularly good for those starting out, as they help one set reasonable goals. Given that the Messier list is a relatively small list, it is an excellent tool for those learning learn how to observe as it has a good mix of object types ranging from bright to somewhat dim objects. Repetitive observations give perspective and teaches the eye/brain what to look for and the beginnings of interpretation of what you do see.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Awesome stuff, Alan! :)

I completely agree with your advice on keeping an observation log. I took that advice years ago when you'd first mentioned it to me over on AF, and I've kept my log book going since the beginning. I am very thankful for that advice and happy that I kept it up. It is indeed fun to see how my observing eye developed over time and the increase in detail came into play.

Now I need to go dig up my first observing report. I'm sure mine is considerably ridiculous compared to yours. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

bladekeeper wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:22 pm Awesome stuff, Alan! :)

I completely agree with your advice on keeping an observation log. I took that advice years ago when you'd first mentioned it to me over on AF, and I've kept my log book going since the beginning. I am very thankful for that advice and happy that I kept it up. It is indeed fun to see how my observing eye developed over time and the increase in detail came into play.

Now I need to go dig up my first observing report. I'm sure mine is considerably ridiculous compared to yours. :lol:
Thank you Bryan. That report was my first observing that I had done after a hiatus from the hobby, and my first honest attempt to document my observations.

No, it will certainly not be ridiculous. It will simply be you experimenting, learning and finding your way at the beginning of your journey. :)
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Thanks for sharing the great initial report Alan. Well, it certainly doesn't seem like a first report as it is extensive and detailed. I share your sentiments about documentation. I have a thick spiral notebook containing my logs since 2012 when I joined Af.net (at the same time I bought my Z10). Without them, I would be doomed to repeat observations and forget which galaxies I had seen. Sure we all re-visit the Orion Nebula or Andromeda from time to time, and it is fun to compare views through different instruments. Congats on winning the VROD for today and heopfully for inspiring others to take the plunge.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:41 pm Thanks for sharing the great initial report Alan. Well, it certainly doesn't seem like a first report as it is extensive and detailed. I share your sentiments about documentation. I have a thick spiral notebook containing my logs since 2012 when I joined Af.net (at the same time I bought my Z10). Without them, I would be doomed to repeat observations and forget which galaxies I had seen. Sure we all re-visit the Orion Nebula or Andromeda from time to time, and it is fun to compare views through different instruments. Congats on winning the VROD for today and heopfully for inspiring others to take the plunge.
Thank you Michael. Time certainly does seem to fly, as they say. Lots of observations, research and writing has ensued over the years for us. One cannot overstate the importance of keeping those records as you so aptly stated. While there is nothing wrong with re-visiting objects that serve to inspire and amaze, one likes to be able to weed out re-visiting (unless specifically choosing to) objects that underwhelm. I have no need to revisit a dim 14th or 15th mag galaxy quite honestly, yet I've know I've done just that in trying to play catch up after starting to finally keeping records around 2009. All those years before, while not wasted time or effort, certainly lose some of their meaning because memory fades and I have no historical record to fall back upon. But fortunately I came to my senses eventually. So I implore everyone to take the time to scribble down your observations in some form and keep a record of your travels of the night sky. If you are here, then it is an important facet of your life and deserves to be kept as a part of who you are.
Alan

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

That first report back from a break was excellent Alan!!!

I did not keep as nice a log as you fellows did. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't share it!

I do remember asking some very unknowledgeable questions, and AF members (like you, Bryan, Bigz, Michael, and many others) brought me up to speed in a friendly helpful way.

Now that I do AP (almost exclusively), I do try to share some experiences of the evening. Much different than visual, but even doing AP, each session is an adventure of success and mishaps. Triumphs and failures.

If for nothing else, maybe some of the commentary might help someone not make some of the same mistakes as I did.

Very fun read sir!

Thank you for sharing!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:25 pm That first report back from a break was excellent Alan!!!

I did not keep as nice a log as you fellows did. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't share it!

I do remember asking some very unknowledgeable questions, and AF members (like you, Bryan, Bigz, Michael, and many others) brought me up to speed in a friendly helpful way.

Now that I do AP (almost exclusively), I do try to share some experiences of the evening. Much different than visual, but even doing AP, each session is an adventure of success and mishaps. Triumphs and failures.

If for nothing else, maybe some of the commentary might help someone not make some of the same mistakes as I did.

Very fun read sir!

Thank you for sharing!
Thank you Jim, and we do miss you in the visual reporting area. We've all come a long way over the years, no matter where our journey started or what direction it has ultimately taken. We know that sticking with it in time produces results, though at times one wonders. Then the switch comes on and we finally see the light, literally. :)
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. A great binocular observation report from the past. I remember when you posted your reports on the old AF forum. I used to highlight, copy, paste them into MS Word, and then print them out. And the M110 is a great starting point and is often called the "Rite of Passage" for newer observers learning the sky. Thanks for putting this still helpful report from the archives up on here Alan, and keep on going with your great observing reports.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Great post, Alan.
I had a smile on my face as I read and enjoyed this "time capsule" astronomy report. 😊

Thanknyou Sir. 👍👍👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:21 pm Hi Alan. A great binocular observation report from the past. I remember when you posted your reports on the old AF forum. I used to highlight, copy, paste them into MS Word, and then print them out. And the M110 is a great starting point and is often called the "Rite of Passage" for newer observers learning the sky. Thanks for putting this still helpful report from the archives up on here Alan, and keep on going with your great observing reports.

Thank you Marshall. Filing reports on AF seems like ages ago now, but there were a lot of good times had there, even with the numerous hiccups the site experienced before it finally succumbed. Indeed, the Messier list is a fine Rite of Passage for new sky observers. Working your way through its various objects can teach a beginner a lot about observing and training to the eye to actually see and not simply look.
John Donne wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:31 pm Great post, Alan.
I had a smile on my face as I read and enjoyed this "time capsule" astronomy report. 😊

Thanknyou Sir. 👍👍👍
Thank you Mark. Glad the look back gave you a smile. It seems like light years ago! :)
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

It's pretty clear that your interests were in the deep sky from the start.
Thanks for giving us a peek into your astronomical past :-)
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

An excellent read Alan. You clearly learnt the sky prior to your first formal written report!

Congratulations on the VROD.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:05 am It's pretty clear that your interests were in the deep sky from the start.
Thanks for giving us a peek into your astronomical past :-)
Thank you John. Indeed they were. I really didn't become a hardcore galaxy hunter until thelate 1970s when I bought my Coulter Odyssey-II 17.5 inch dobsonian. The first view of M51 with that scope was a real turning point for me. But as I've often lamented, I didn't keep any real records from those early days, and documenting my observing was more of a recent thing. So while that report certainly wasn't my first rodeo, it signaled the beginning of my more serious phase, which continues to this day. :)

Graeme1858 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:32 am An excellent read Alan. You clearly learnt the sky prior to your first formal written report!

Congratulations on the VROD.

Regards

Graeme
Thank you Graeme. We all have to start somewhere, whether that be observing or the documentation thereof. However, its always better if those two events coincide! :lol:
Alan