TSS Photo of the Day

The Transit of Ganymede

Post by John Donne »

The Ganymede transit

September 5 2021, 2000hr
September 6, 2021 0130hr
Transparency Average
Seeing Average
Humidity intermittent and troublesome but fortunately resulted in no consequent dew factor on my rig. I kept my EP box closed.

Arrived at Penfield, 40.30 Lat, 87.94 long, to set up in early twilight.

Image of sky upon arrival attached.
20210905_190633.jpg
There were more people at this site last night than I have ever seen before. 17 cars I counted.
Light discipline was non existent so my dark sky adaptation was never really achieved until about 2230 hr.
There were folks who had traveled quite a distance to view the stars here…some from Missouri, one from Indiana, several from Chicagoland and Naperville. Several had taken rooms in Motels in Paxton, Rantoul, or Urbana. One couple who did not own a car had rented a Buick to make the trip from Chicago.

The gentle lady from Missouri arrived alone in her green Ford 150 bearing a small Nikon DSLR. She had come to photograph the milky way which I happily pointed out to her with my laser pointer as it swept out of Sagittarius over our heads and into Cassiopeia. She was quite happy and I am sure that although the Milky Way had not the sparkle I have often seen its arms were well defined in a cloudy form from which she will have some satisfying captures in her little Nikon.

Another young man and his friend had brought a sky tracker camera mount; the brand I did not catch. He had mounted to a Nikon D7. He was also after Milky Way images.

The Young Couple next to me had a new, 3 months old…used once, Skywatcher 8 inch f6 collapsible dob. It was rather small it seemed to me…short that is. It was not in my opinion a tool to use with its base on the ground. It needed a riser of some kind for my pleasure. The EP was only 40 inches off the ground which necessitated a lot of uncomfortable kneeling…
This couple were very nice as well as enthusiastic and it was a pleasure to fellowship with them there and share views.

For the first two hours I carried on one long conversation as small groups came round to my set up to ask questions or partake in a view of Jupiter, Saturn or Andromeda.
I held court around the ES152 and regaled these fine folks with stories of Astronomical Adventure replete with stalking coyote, wandering black bear, and the Solar eclipse of 2017.

It was really a good time. I was able to answer many good, basic questions about our hobby and my equipment.

The level of transparency and darkness were proved out by my ability to resolve M33 even though it was faint and ill defined. It was in fact one of the least satisfying views of M33 I have had, but I will not seriously complain. It served its purpose for me in my measure of the sky.

Astrobee suggested Sculptor as a target which I was enthusiastic about but unfortunately it never rose above the southern line of trees on that horizon.

I resolved a number of faint objects.
M77, 02h43m, 00, 05’, was resolved with averted vision quite low on the horizon.
M32, M31, M30, M75 and others unlisted…mostly dim dusty globs and a few Galaxies as well…nothing very exciting. I viewed about 25 objects of this type but only wrote down 16 in my note book.

BUT THEN

Then I discovered that Ganymede was transiting Jupiter I had finally a hook to hang my time card on.

I could write a lot of words but I would rather post my sketches with the times for you to view.

The transit was an ongoing event to which I returned regularly not only for myself but for the viewing of the many folk who were still frequenting my telescope and enjoying views they had never had before.

Peace and clear skies to you all.
Mark
20210905_190633.jpg
Attachments
20210906_133715.jpg
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
SpyderwerX
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: The Transit of Ganymede

Post by SpyderwerX »

Wonderful report, Mark! And it seems as if a wonderful night was enjoyed. I witnessed a bit of the transit myself until the conditions got a bit choppy with a front pushing in.
~Frankie~ My mind: Always on...Slightly off. :?
Celestron CPC1100 SCT....Celestron Evolution 8 SCT...TeleVue-85 apo...SkyWatcher ST150 achro..ST102 achro..ST80 achro.
Celestron AVX...Orion Atlas EQ-G...SkyTee-2...Twilight-1.
Baader BBHS prism and mirror diagonals + Vernonscope quartz 1.25"
EPs: TeleVue oldie (NJ) & modern Plossls, Widefields, and Naglers + 3-6 zoom & Brandons 6-32.
Astronomik, Lumicon & Baader filters..
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice sketches. Sounded like a fun trip.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello again Mark. Nice photos of the evening sky and I remember all of those cities that you mentioned from when I lived in Momence, IL and had a large service route each day. Thanks for your enjoyable report and nice sketches of the Ganymede transit Mark, and I am glad that you were also able to use this opportunity for some great astronomy outreach work.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice report and sketches Mark, very interesting to see the progress of Ganymede across the face of Jupiter. And it sounds like a good time was had by all during the session. Congrats Mark on winning the VROD for today.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Thank you Michael.
The outing was satisfying in many ways.
And thank you for honoring me with the VROD !
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great report and sketch Mark! Nice that you managed to see not just the shadow but Ganymede itself to.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:11 pm Great report and sketch Mark! Nice that you managed to see not just the shadow but Ganymede itself to.
Thank you Andrey.
In the beginning I did not realize that I was seeing ganymede actual. I noticed a small bright spot on jupiter but thought it was from telescope optics. The color belts on jupiter were somewhay obliterated where the bright spot revealed. It was not untill I noticed the slightly brighter stop move as the black dot moved that I concluded that I was seeing ganymede also but not in a recognizable disc form. As the transit progressed the color banding became more refined untill finally the banding popped into resolve.
It was enjoyable to observe the complete traverse of ganymede.

Thank you again Andrey.

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Very nice Mark, good that you could enjoy the views and help out other as well.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:03 pm Very nice Mark, good that you could enjoy the views and help out other as well.
Thank you Lady Fractor !

I think I enjoy the "outreach", unintended though it may have been, as much as observing. It did interrupt my plans and took me nearly to my energy limit, but the interaction and enthusiasm I observed in these groups invigorated me.

I was glad when I discovered the transit because it gave me another set of instructable moments. We even talked about early longitude navigation using Jupiter's moons. Several of these folks commented that they did not realize there was so much to interest them in observing the night sky.

Even instruction with binocular use came into play. I pointed to objects with the lazer and folks could find the beam and follow it to the object. Thus it was great fun to observe the observers. 😊

It was a very good time for me. This site was a favorite on which my old friend Henry and I often converged.

Thank you again for your encouragements and the many instructions and advices you have given me over these years in the forums !

Blessings to you, and clear skies !
👍

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Excellent outing and report Mark, and a well deserved VROD. Great job on both the shadow and disk as it transited. Sounds like a good outing was had by many as well. The folks with the 8 inch dob could use an observing chair, such as the Starbound. Being seated works quite well with the 8 to 12 inch dobs.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:27 pm Excellent outing and report Mark, and a well deserved VROD. Great job on both the shadow and disk as it transited. Sounds like a good outing was had by many as well. The folks with the 8 inch dob could use an observing chair, such as the Starbound. Being seated works quite well with the 8 to 12 inch dobs.
Yes Alan.
I thought the same thing. But I am very careful to avoid being a critic of another observers kit while under the sky. I stay on the +side. If asked I will gladly give comment. These folks were enjoying themselves so much. They saw and used my observing chair when we shared views. They probably have the idea now.
They will be back...I hope to see them again.

Thank you Alan.

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Great report there Mark and congratulations on the VROD.

I am sure your captive audience really appreciated your insight.

P.S. Did you manage to get a sneaky reference to you being a member of TSS and that we would love for them to join us? ;)
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:48 pm Great report there Mark and congratulations on the VROD.

I am sure your captive audience really appreciated your insight.

P.S. Did you manage to get a sneaky reference to you being a member of TSS and that we would love for them to join us? ;)
Thank you V.
As a matter of fact, now you ask, I did talk about the forum recommending it to everyone who visited with me. 😊👍

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great report of your outreach!
I suppose all of you enjoyed it very much.
I sure enjoyed the reading. Very nice!
Very much worth of the VROD!
Fortunately the bigger or darker moons of Jupiter like Genymede and Callisto can be tracked across the planet during their transition. Luckily you had your 152 mm refractor with you!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.