Observing/Imaging Report - Sept. 3-4 & 4-5, 2021

Let's see your reports!
AstroBee United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Observing/Imaging Report - Sept. 3-4 & 4-5, 2021

Post by AstroBee »

Here in southern Nevada, we have had a long spell of bad weather for the last couple of months. Clouds were almost constant and when it wasn't cloudy it was extremely windy. And when it wasn't windy, there was a nearly full moon overhead.
Also during this time, I acquired some new gear. Some of it planned - a new ZWO ASI2600mm camera and new 36mm Chroma filters, and some of it not planned - A buddy of mine bought an almost new Explore Scientific ED152 CF APO and he never planned to keep it, he buys and sells astro gear. He knew this was my dream scope to one day own so he sold it to me for little profit.
So you can imagine how bad I've been itching to get out the last six or so weeks with the new toys. This past Thursday everything started to align. Almost no moon, no clouds, no wind, time off work! I headed out to a favorite winter spot south of Las Vegas knowing the temperatures would be a bit uncomfortable but I have been wanting to image the Helix Nebula, NGC 7293, so I needed clear skies to my south. At its highest when crossing the meridian to the south, it only reaches 33° above the horizon. In the heat of the Vegas summers, I usually head north to a higher altitude to escape the heat. My spot south of Vegas, called Nelson's Landing, is only 1242' (794m) so there's no relief from our summer heat at this location. I arrived at my spot around 7 pm local time to temps hovering around 98°f (36.6c). Fortunately, as soon as the sun dipped behind the distant mountains the temps started to drop....slightly. By the time I started imaging the temperature was 90°f and my camera struggled to cool down but it eventually got to my desired temperature. By midnight the temperature had dropped to a comfortable 80°

On my first night, I managed to acquire 200 minutes of 10-minute subs in Ha and 30 minutes of 2-minute subs in ea. RGB
With the imaging system running on autopilot, it was great to just lay back in my zero-g chair and truly enjoy the night sky turning above. For the first couple of hours, it was just too hot to sleep so I watched satellites pass overhead along with a surprisingly light amount of air traffic. This area is near one of the normal flight paths for the Vegas airport but this evening it was extremely light. I did see a string of Starlinks pass nearly overhead and I even caught on a very bright satellite that reminded me of a favorite pastime a few years ago, it looked like an Iridium flare, brightening up almost as bright as Jupiter for a few seconds before finally fading away.
Multiple meteors were spotted also over the course of the evening but nothing that I could nail down to a radiant, probably just random bits of dust whose existence ended in a fiery demise.

My second evening in a row was a repeat of the first except on this evening I acquired 200 minutes of 10-minute subs in OIII and again 30 minutes of 2-minute subs in ea. RGB.
Since this evening was my second night in a row I was very tired and planned this evening a bit better. I brought along an air mattress and a small USB-powered evaporative cooler to blow cool air in my face. That combination allowed me to get a bit of sleep, only waking up to monitor the meridian flip.

So two successful nights of imaging and I've managed to capture 3 hrs of Ha, 3 hrs of OIII, and 1 hour each of RGB data for my project which I'll share later in a separate post.
I must say I'm very happy with the individual subs that I've reviewed so I'm really looking forward to working with the new gear on future projects.
As my evening was wrapping up this morning around 3 am I looked east to see an old friend rising, Orion. It's my first sighting of him for this upcoming season and I can't wait to spend some time on the Horsehead again.
But before packing up for the night I decided to capture a single 120-second Luminance sub of my next project, a galaxy that I've wanted to image for a while now. Here is that one image with nothing but a histogram stretch done to it.
I leave you with NGC253, the Sculptor Galaxy, aka the Silver Coin galaxy.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing/Imaging Report - Sept. 3-4 & 4-5, 2021

Post by kt4hx »

Excellent Greg. Thanks for the image of NGC 253, it is one of my favorite galaxies! At our dark site with the 17.5 inch it is outstanding with a large elongated disk that is heavily mottled and contains a very bright large core.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Nice image!
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Greg. A very nice NGC253 Galaxy image for a single shot. Excellent contrast and details in your capture. Thanks for sharing this with us Greg, and congratulations on the new (to you) Explore Scientific ED152 CF APO telescope.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Very nice Greg !
I tried Sculptor last night as you suggested but at my 40° it was just shy of clearing the tree line.
Thank you.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

John Donne wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:21 pm Very nice Greg !
I tried Sculptor last night as you suggested but at my 40° it was just shy of clearing the tree line.
Thank you.
Yeah, even from my latitude of 35° it only reaches 29° as it crosses the meridian.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com