There are observations after a Big Bang.

Let's see your reports!
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

There are observations after a Big Bang.

Post by John Baars »

Friday evening it was beautifully clear; the first public evening for my local observatory of the season since the lockdown. Reservations were heavily oversubscribed because under the new rules we were only allowed to receive 6 people in the audience, where we would normally have 20 people as guests. As a senior I had chosen the open observation post at the 130mm Starfire refractor on the terrace , above the small dome of the 14 inch SCT in which it is much too crowded. Jupiter and Saturn looked great, as if they knew they had to make up for 1.5 years of lockdown. The audience was stunned and pleasantly surprised that you could see all this so well. Someone even thought we hid a picture in the telescope...not for the first time.

When I got home I immediately wanted to see what the difference would be with my 102 mm GnG Maksutov on Alt/Az. At home the seeing turned out to be rather good as well. Although just put outside, the insulation on the Maksutov turned out to be doing its job well and the picture showed as many ripples as moments of rest, which can be called good here. Details were visible, a bit less pronounced and slightly paler than in the refractor. I shifted my stool and KABOOM!!! with the sound of thunder two legs popped out from under my seat. I fell backwards in a split second, but thanks to my JUDO past I still managed to land on the concrete tiles. (chin on the chest, on the side, muscles tense, so not like a bag of cement) Only my right elbow was slightly sore from the friction of my vest against the skin. The blow was so loud that my wife and the neighbors came out to ask if everything was okay. A very quick way to abort an observation!

I should have known this was going to happen, because the last few times I found that the seat wobbled more than usual. Stubbornly of course and just keep going. After the shock and reassuring everyone, I grabbed a fresh chair and just continued to observe. You don't let such a seeing take you away, do you?

I was happy to finish Summer Queens such as M57 Ring nebula, M27 Dumbbell nebula and M71 Globular. Then globular M15 to mark the transition to Autumn, finally the extragalactic M31 and M32 (M33 and Mirach's Ghost failed), NGC457 ET cluster, and open cluster M103.

It was a memorable evening.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: There are observations after a Big Bang.

Post by turboscrew »

So a good session regardless of the sudden dive?
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Glad to hear you enjoyed the evening and the martial arts training served you well!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

That sounds like a good session overall John.

But, isn't hindsight a wonderful thing. If you had checked those legs of the stool earlier you could have saved yourself from a nasty fall.

I am pleased to hear you minimised your injury though.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very nice outing John, and happy to hear that things are starting to return to some sense of normalcy.

I had a spill like yours once, but in my case I fell on the soft ground. I was observing on a slight incline and while seated at my 10 inch dob I dropped something and leaned over to pick it up. But I leaned in the downhill direction so me and the chair went over. Just a gentle thud but enough to elicit a question from my wife who was sitting about 30 ft away on the back deck watching for meteors. While she didn't see me fall, she heard me! :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Quite eventful evening John. Glad you are OK, those chairs are sneaky!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257