9.3.2021 - TSS Challenges & Others

Let's see your reports!
KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

9.3.2021 - TSS Challenges & Others

Post by KingNothing13 »

Hello all, I was FINALLY able to get out last night - it was a beautiful, clear night. I decide to not to anything too deep sky though, as I am still in my yard. Figured it was a good night to tackle the August/September challenges (Alan's and my Carbon Stars!). Also Jupiter and Saturn area always nice to check out, and I wanted to test the 82A filter I picked up on them.

On to the report, most of what you see is directly from my observation notes, maybe some edit's based on spelling, etc. :lol:

M 29: August Deep Sky Challenge; Nice little cluster, I am counting ~6 members that are all about the same mag, in lines left and right. Some dimmer potential members along the way too, in between the lines, and around. This is the "Water Cooler" cluster, correct? I think I see why it is called that now. Cooling tower? Lots of stars in the field too. {Cooling Tower, looked up afterwards :lol: }

NGC 6939: August Deep sky challenge; Wow - this is a very dim cluster - I'd say almost globular like in appearance (but not really, way too loose to be globular) - it is barely there in my 18mm. I am having a hard time picking out distinct members with the 18. I can get a little more distinct with the 11, but not much. Looks to have a very loose grouping, not in any particular shape or pattern. Also have a street light right in my eye with the angle it is at.

I could not pull out the August Challenge of the Fireworks Galaxy - probably a combination of back yard, and the previously mentioned street light in my eye :lol:

ST And: August Carbon Star Hunt Challenge; Took a bit of searching the field - very dim - pretty low on the horizon right now for me. Orangish/Red. Mag estimate about the 9.5 that is listed, maybe a little dimmer.

AQ Sag: August Carbon Star Hunt Challenge; Nice red color, a bright star that stands out from its field-mates. It has a couple of companion stars to the north and northeast that are about the same magnitude as it. They are all in a line.

S Scu: August Carbon Star Hunt Challenge; Orange/yellow in a field of numerous stars. The field itself is very pretty, especially with the 18mm. The star itself - is okay. Nothing too special about it.

M 15: September Deep Sky Challenge; I will confess - one of my favorite M objects, because it was one of the first I 'found'. A nice small, tight glob with a bright core. More resolvable with the 11mm. It has a nice bright blue star trailing to the east, and an orange one to the southeast. Definitely more popping out with averted vision and a longer look.

NGC 7243: September Deep Sky Challenge; Are we sure this is a cluster? Sure the stars are about the same brightness and color - but wow that is a loose open cluster. They seem to form a sideways U, the brighter stars amongst many in the FOV. The side of the U seem to have handles, like little serifs. Just off the southwestern edge is a box of stars as well, they are apx the same mag and color - I assume part of the cluster as well.

NGC 7331: September Deep Sjy Challenge: I can see the core of the galaxy, brighter than all around it, yet dim and fuzzy. I think I can make out some elongation coming off it, in the directions of North/South. Can definitely make out more elongation with averted vision and the 11mm, as opposed to the 18mm.

Jupiter: Wow - Jupiter is BRIGHT tonight. Io and Europa are right of the western limb, with Callisto much further west. Ganymede is the lone Galilean to the East. Banding is very visible tonight. Going to try the 82A filter I picked up, as well as the moon/sky glow filter. I am able to make out more banding with the filters stacked. Is Io moving behind? Possibly Europa as well? Yes, both are moving behind - Io occultation begins in about 20 minutes. [Moved on to Saturn, but came back for the Io Occultation: Watching the moon slowly move behind the planet. Really wild to see it almost merging with the planet, and then POOF - it is gone.] {My results from the filters - I stacked the 82A and the "Moon & SkyGlow Filter" my results - there was more banding visible and mentioned, but the normally white bands had definite streaks of dark in them, I assume that these are the "festoons' }

Saturn: Beautiful as always. TItan is hanging off the NorthWest side tonight. Many other moons around, that I do not know the name of. Spent more time than is logged here before I started taking notes.

HD 198269: September Carbon Star Hunt; Dim, hard to make out the color of the star. Has a companion trailing to the east.

RX Peg: September Carbon Star Hunt; A nice red in the field of stars. Forms a triangle with two others.

The other Carbon for the month, Z Pisc was still too far down for me to make out, as it was below the tree line. I am sure in the future I will get a chance to check it out.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading!
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: 9.3.2021 - TSS Challenges & Others

Post by Makuser »

Hi Brett. A very nice report from you here. I am glad that you had what looks to be a great observing session. You grabbed a couple of Deep Sky challenge targets and a bucket load of the Carbon Star challenges too. And yes, that 82A is a handy dandy filter. Thanks for your well written and informative report Brett, and the best of wishes for you to repeat this success again soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice list! I'm getting curious about carbon stars.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:57 am Nice list! I'm getting curious about carbon stars.
Some of them are bright and an astounding red - I have literally said, out loud to no one as I was the only there - "Holy s**t" because they were so stunning.

Others - they are just meh.

For me, it is definitely the color, since most stars are a light blue/white color, the red is just amazing to see.
-- Brett

List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Excellent report Brett and good job on the challenge objects. NGC 6946 has very low surface brightness, so I am not surprised that it eluded you there, given your conditions.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Brett and congrats on winning the VROD for the day (9/5/2021)!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

helicon wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:23 pm Great report Brett and congrats on winning the VROD for the day (9/5/2021)!
Cool, thanks Michael!
-- Brett

Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Very interesting that the stacked 82A and M&SG Filter revealed streaking in the normally white zones. Will have to give that a try!
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent evening Brett! Well rounded in the nature of targets. Congrats on VROD!

Good filters do make difference on planets resolving extra level of details.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257