Let's see your reports!
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Some naked eye and bino observing

Post by helicon »

Since we are starting to move toward the Fall season, the sun is rising later and later. For example, I woke up early this morning (5:00 AM). I expected a foggy morning (which has been the norm this summer) but instead as I headed out to the deck to check out the skies, I saw that everything was clear - there was Cassiopeia, Perseus, and Auriga, as well as the Pleiades. To the southeast, Orion was rising. Scanning the horizon I noticed that it was very foggy, but somewhat below the elevation on the ridge where I live. As a result, the thick fog was almost opaque and blocked the lights of the cities around the Bay Area.

Putting on my glasses and gazing near the zenith, I could see the Milky Way. How about M31? Inspired a bit by realflow100's report I could see it as a direct observation object, no need for averted vision. The last time I was able to see it naked eye from home was several years ago. So the darkest skies in years.

What about M33?

I gave it a shot in its position off to the side of the triangle of Triangulum using averted vision, but it eluded my efforts. Grabbing the 15x70's I quickly swept it up as a bright oval patch, since it usually is invisible in the 15x70's, or very fleeting at best, I was pretty happy. I also examined the double cluster, and noted some individual members were resolved. M42 was bright and structured. Gazing high up in Auriga, I noted M36, M37, and M38, as bright smudges.

Astronomical dawn kicked in at about 5:30, so it was time to head inside for a morning coffee.

Definitely an interesting and rewarding morning....
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Some naked eye and bino observing

Post by KingNothing13 »

Sounds like a great sky to look at Michael! Thanks for sharing.

I believe I've seen M31 Naked Eye once at a star party on the the highest peak in Mass. Very dark up there.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

A great early morning outing Michael !
Thank you.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Best way to start the day Michael! Coincidently, I was wrapping up my morning session at Anza, when you started yours. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great way to begin the day with. Very satisfatory!
Thanks for your report!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

A good early morning was had then Michael.
A good session.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Nice Michael. I recall you mentioning previously that when the fog is below your elevated residence, it masks the city lights rendering your sky darker. It is great you could take advantage of it for a rewarding experience.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

helicon wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:49 pm Since we are starting to move toward the Fall season, the sun is rising later and later. For example, I woke up early this morning (5:00 AM). I expected a foggy morning (which has been the norm this summer) but instead as I headed out to the deck to check out the skies, I saw that everything was clear - there was Cassiopeia, Perseus, and Auriga, as well as the Pleiades. To the southeast, Orion was rising. Scanning the horizon I noticed that it was very foggy, but somewhat below the elevation on the ridge where I live. As a result, the thick fog was almost opaque and blocked the lights of the cities around the Bay Area.

Putting on my glasses and gazing near the zenith, I could see the Milky Way. How about M31? Inspired a bit by realflow100's report I could see it as a direct observation object, no need for averted vision. The last time I was able to see it naked eye from home was several years ago. So the darkest skies in years.

What about M33?

I gave it a shot in its position off to the side of the triangle of Triangulum using averted vision, but it eluded my efforts. Grabbing the 15x70's I quickly swept it up as a bright oval patch, since it usually is invisible in the 15x70's, or very fleeting at best, I was pretty happy. I also examined the double cluster, and noted some individual members were resolved. M42 was bright and structured. Gazing high up in Auriga, I noted M36, M37, and M38, as bright smudges.

Astronomical dawn kicked in at about 5:30, so it was time to head inside for a morning coffee.

Definitely an interesting and rewarding morning....
Hello Michael,

the DSOs for the naked eyes (I mean unaided eyes) are rewarding and inspiring.
They are also a perfect training to push the vision to the limits.

The Triangulum Galaxy M33 is not frequently seen with unaided eyes from my location, nd when, then I am feeling very happy, and start hunting the most fifficult DSOs.

Clear skies,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

kt4hx wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:31 pm Nice Michael. I recall you mentioning previously that when the fog is below your elevated residence, it masks the city lights rendering your sky darker. It is great you could take advantage of it for a rewarding experience.
It tends to be a summertime experience when there is a high pressure inversion that keeps the fog from rising to my perch. The effect is even more pronounced on some of the higher peaks around here such as Mt. Hamilton (Lick's location) and Fremont Peak - which southbay amateurs often visit.

Thanks Alan.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Michael. A very nice early morning naked eye and binocular observing report. It looks like you had a decent sky to work with, so I am glad that you had this opportunity to enjoy this session. Thanks for your fun read report Michael, and keep looking up.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

helicon wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:29 pm
kt4hx wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:31 pm Nice Michael. I recall you mentioning previously that when the fog is below your elevated residence, it masks the city lights rendering your sky darker. It is great you could take advantage of it for a rewarding experience.
It tends to be a summertime experience when there is a high pressure inversion that keeps the fog from rising to my perch. The effect is even more pronounced on some of the higher peaks around here such as Mt. Hamilton (Lick's location) and Fremont Peak - which southbay amateurs often visit.

Thanks Alan.
I get a night or two per season when marine layer moves inland and blocks the light from Temecula and Riverside light domes. The sky in Anza gets absolutely fantastic! I wish it would happen more often.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257