Jupiter Observation 9/4/2021 2:00 UT

Let's see your reports!
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Jupiter Observation 9/4/2021 2:00 UT

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Got home late tonight (10pm) and saw Jupiter hanging in a nice clear sky so decided to give it a peek. I've not had any time over the past 4 months for personal enjoyment observing and actually have not seen Jupiter this season yet, so was nice to finally give it a look. I moved to an apartment recently, and up three flights of steps, so taking the telescope out for a quick look can be a chore. However, tonight I decided to take my Vixen 81S Apo with a 1.25" Baader Zeiss Prism Diagonal on a Vixen Porta-II mount out as I can carry that very easily with one hand. In the other hand the observing chair. Over the shoulder the small case with eyepieces. So easy to carry everything in one trip up and down the steps.

Once I had Jupiter lined up the view was clear and steady. I settled on a 5mm eyepiece (5mm XW and 15mm RKE + 2.5x Powermate; a Baader Contrast Booster filter was also employed) as a good compromise of contrast and magnification for the seeing this night. In the f/7.7 81S that works out to 124x which is more than sufficient for a nice view of Jupiter. 4 Moons were visible, Ganymede about 7-Jupiter diameters off to the right, Callisto was about a 1/3 further out to the left, and both Io and Europa were also off to the left, but both less than 2/3-Jupiter diameter away (IO being closest).

The North Equatorial Belt was very prominent and was a ruddy-brown color and the belt had irregular borders above and below. Below the North Equatorial Belt that ruddy-brown color slowly bled toward the Equatorial Zone which was broadly a lighter ruddy-brown with a central band being a bit darker (i.e., the Equatorial Belt). I could also detect some shading differences just below the North Equatorial Belt , which I surmised were probably some Festoons but the little 81 was not pulling in anything distinct relative to those to confirm actual Festoons. The South Equatorial Belt, also quite prominent, was a bit thinner than North Equatorial Belt and had a distinctly gray color. Below South Equatorial Belt, the South Tropical Zone was bright white followed by a rather ethereal South Temperate Belt (also grey) and then a broad shaded area for the South Polar Region. The South Polar Region was also a grayish hue, and it got progressively darker as it approached the pole.

Moving northward of North Equatorial Belt, the North Tropical Zone was not near as bright and distinct as the South Tropical Zone , but unlike the ethereal South Temperate Belt the North Temperate Belt was very distinct and a dark gray color. Above it a bit lighter North Temperate Zone was a demarcation line for the beginning of the North Polar Region. Like the South Polar Region the North Polar Region was broad and it progressively became darker in color as it approached the pole. While the South Polar Region was gray, while the North Polar Region had more of a steel-blue hue. For those not familiar with all these region names on Jupiter, here is a link that shows them - https://astronomy.com/-/media/Images/Ma ... jpg?mw=600

I observed Jupiter for about 1 hour, and in that time I also got to see the moon IO vanish behind the left limb of the planet. Positionally it visually intersected the left limb of Jupiter at the southern boundary of the North Equatorial Belt. I always like watching when the planet occults one if its moons as when it starts to visually contact the limb, it seems to make the limb of the planet look like it gets a bit of a dimple before it winks out behind the planet. It is also fun for me to see (when the seeing is steady like tonight) a very well formed and distinct bright little orb of a moon just begin to touch the limb of the planet as it is very reminiscent of a close double star when the magnification is enough that the central ball of the airy disks (i.e. the spurious disks) are well seen.

Overall a wonderfully satisfying planetary observation. Always amazes me how much detail a well appointed 80mm Apo can reveal (5 belts, 5 zones, 2 polar regions, all showing a variety of boundary and/or internal detail). After Jupiter I did some quick looks at Albireo with its beautiful contrasting colors, the Double Double which nicely although minimally was split with the 8mm RKE eyepiece (78x), and finally M57 the Ring Nebula (not very distinct in my light polluted Red Zone but still easy to see as a light distinct ring with darker center using the 10XW - 63x). As far as the planetary view between the 5XW + Contrast Booster and the 15 RKE + 2.5x Powermate + Contrast Booster, I felt the latter was giving me just a little better contrast, especially relative to making the Equatorial Belt, South Temperate Belt, and apparent shadings from Festoons visible. I also did some comparing of the views with and without the Contrast Booster for color rendition and felt that the various colors on the planet were well preserved with the Contrast Booster so kept it in place.
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
Bino-Handle United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Jupiter Observation 9/4/2021 2:00 UT

Post by Bino-Handle »

:telescopewink: :clap:
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great observation of Jupiter William and thanks for describing what you saw in such detail. Congratulations on winning the TSS Visual Report of the Day for September 4th!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great reporting on your Jupiter observation. So many pay a short visit to the planet and miss the opportunity to explore the details!

Congrats on the VROD award!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Thanks all for the congrats on receiving the TSS Visual Report of the Day. Didn't realize TSS had something like this! :text-thankyoublue:
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi William. A very nice observing report of Jupiter. And seems that you viewed many of it's features too, including the belting and festoons. Thanks for your well written and enjoyable report William, and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Nice Bill! I too observed Io disappearing behind the planet last night - it was really neat to watch. At one point the planet seemed to not be round, but a flat edge instead.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Thx ,for the Nice report.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's an interesting Read William. And thanks for the link.

There are some Jupiter moon and moon shadow transits for this month in the Forum Portal Calendar.

Congratulations on the VROD.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

KingNothing13 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:47 pm Nice Bill! I too observed Io disappearing behind the planet last night - it was really neat to watch. At one point the planet seemed to not be round, but a flat edge instead.

Exactly!
-Bill

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Well done Bill. A very nice and detailed report on Jupiter. Congrats on the VROD, and glad to have your expertise here.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great observations of Jupiter!
Thanks for your report and congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

The most memorable take aways for me from my observation of Jupiter a few days ago are:
1. How agonizingly long it took IO to wink out behind the planet; seemed like it took forever.
2. Just how different the color of the NEB is from all the other belts.
3. How amazingly light and bright the South Tropical Zone was.
4. And of course the perception of the dimpling or flattening of the Jupiter limb as IO touched it.

Today I was thinking more about how long it took IO, once very close to the planet, to actually move out of view. So I did a little digging for IO facts and interesting that while it visually seemed to take so long, just how amazingly fast IO is moving in its orbit! IO is a little larger than our Moon (2,264 mi vs. 2,159 mi respectively), like our Moon it is tidally locked, and is actually about as far from Jupiter as the Moon is from Earth (262,000 mi vs. 238,900 mi respectively); so they are quite similar in those respects. But while our moon takes 27 days to orbit the Earth, IO orbits Jupiter in just 1.8 days, which means it is speeding along in its orbit a little over 16x faster than our Moon !!!! So I guess I should not complain at how long it took IO to wink out behind Jupiter because if it was moving at the comparative snail's pace that our Moon is moving, it would have been agonizingly longer :lol:
-Bill

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice in-depth session on Jupiter Bill! It is fun to dissect various zones and belts seeing permitting. The more your look the more you see. I like to stack Baader Contrast Booster and Moon and Sky Glove filters to get a bit more contrast.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257