First Attempt at observation - 7/24/21 - not much success.

Let's see your reports!
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

First Attempt at observation - 7/24/21 - not much success.

Post by chris_g »

My first time setting up the telescope outside, I decided to make it an observation session with any imaging done using the Samsung note 20 Ultra and Deep Sky Camera Beta. I had some trees cleared a few weeks back freeing up some sky so I have a decent swath to explore. Sunset is at 20:08 and moon rise at 21:06. It’s a full moon with a few clouds and 0% chance of rain according to the forecast. I’ve decided to start things off simple, no computer control, just the Go To capabilities of the mount. The mount was rough polar aligned at 16:30, compass indicating due north and the bubble level on the mount level. The mount is the SkyWatcher EQ-6R Pro and the scope is the Sky Watcher ED 80 APO. I should have an unobstructed view of Polaris and be able accomplish a more precise polar alignment once the sun goes down. Eyepieces in use will be a 1.25” 25mm and a 5mm LE along with a 2x shorty Barlow.

Sitting down with telescope, I made a configuration change from the 90 degree 2 inch diagonal that came with the telescope to the Orion correct view 1.25” 45 degree diagonal, less interference from the finder scope. Removed the guide scope and repositioned the finder to its spot. Now I can sit and look in the eyepiece without much effort, now waiting for as dark as its going to get in my Bortel class 4 backyard with some neighbor’s security lights causing some pollution and the bright full moon. I know I will need to invest in a LP filter, that will be my next purchase.

The visual session was a bust. My neighbor’s security light along with the full moon rising and some variable clouds completely blotted out the portion of the sky where Polaris hangs out at making a precise Polar alignment out of the question, at least until I learn how to drift align. I don’t think that will be possible either because of the closeness of the tree line along the back of my property and then the house on the other side, I don’t get down far enough to the horizon, at least that is what I think without more research. I would have gone with manual slew to pick out what few stars I could see with my eyeballs but the manual slew on the SynScan controller for whatever reason wasn’t working. It was working the last time I had the system up and running in the office. I realized I forgot a crucial step in setting up the scope, I had forgotten to put on the counter weight and balance the scope. I put the weight in the approximate place it was in the office but the mount still would not respond to the hand controller, at least not the manual slew arrows. It was strange since during the 1 Star alignment process, it was slewing to the approximate location of the star I had chosen, so the slew was working, just not from the manual buttons, even during the alignment process when it said to use them to line up the star. So, I broke everything down and set back up in the office.

The learning session continues, I rebalanced the scope and simulated a Polar alignment. Every button the hand controller works except the manual slew arrows. Extremely frustrating night, I reset the hand controller to factory and the slewing keys started working again. But the SynScan Pro app could not wonnect to the mount via its serial connection. I’m done for the night, However, next Saturday promises to be a good observation night according to the forecast. Light rain during the day with mostly clear skies at night, sunset at 20:04 and moon rise at 00:20. Gives me the week to figure out what went wrong.
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: First Attempt at observation - 7/24/21 - not much success.

Post by turboscrew »

I hope you'll get it sorted.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Good luck on restoring the settings. I hope it will work.
Such evenings occur. Take comfort in the thought that experienced observers occasionally have to deal with those evenings as well. Part of the hobby, I suppose.
Really old experienced people then completely switch to manual mode. Beautiful clear nights are too rare to frolic with electronics.:-)
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

When you think about it, there are so many things that have to come together for that perfect evening.

When you do get that perfect evening, then there's that fat mosquito biting the back of your neck!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Don't be afraid to check out the moon - some fascinating craters and such on it. :)
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Good luck! I hope you sort it out soon.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

All part of the learning experience. Hang in there.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein