Observing Report for 15 July 2021 - dew, fog and success

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 15 July 2021 - dew, fog and success

Post by kt4hx »

Since the moon was taking over the evening sky night by night, I decided to head over to the dark site house for one more time this cycle. The moon would be about 25% illuminated and I thought that would give me some opportunity to do some open cluster observations, and if lucky some galaxy hunting would ensue should conditions permit. The forecast was variable in terms of sky quality, but with three of four of my forecast sources giving me the go ahead, I, went ahead.

As it turned out, conditions were a little flakey at the beginning. I had the moon present in the sky above the tree line to the southwest, plus transparency was weak. The dew heaters were going as I figured dewing would be significant as well as a likelihood of fog later. I was not disappointed on either account as everything around me became drenched in moisture and the fog made several appearances only to fall back each time – thankfully.

Anyway, with the moon brightening the sky I moved to Cygnus to begin the evening with some open clusters. As always I had both the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas (IDSA) and Uranometria All-Sky Edition atlases on the table at the ready to guide me. So let’s delve into my drippy evening and see what treasures were plucked from the constantly changing sky conditions.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 21mm (94x, 1.1° TFOV, 4.7mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)
XW 5mm (397x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.1mm exit pupil)

NGC 6834 (Cygnus, open cluster, mag=7.8, size=6.0’, class=II2m):
With the 13mm in the focuser (152x) I turned the IDSA to chart 30-left and aimed the scope at the beautiful double, Albireo. Pausing a moment to enjoy the colorful duo, I then moved on eastward to pick up this small and unassuming cluster sitting at the Cygnus-Vulpecula border. Viewing it also at 199x, it was a loose scatter of 30+ stars dominated by a two lines of stars roughly parallel crossing its field in an ENE to WSW flow. A multitude of dim members dotted the field randomly. I found it somewhat detached, and though not a strongly obvious cluster, it still had a certain visual charm. (New)

NGC 6846 (Cygnus, open cluster, mag=14.2, size=0.8’, class=IV1p):
Slowly making my way NNE from the field of NGC 6834, I located the previously observed cluster Loiano 1. As before, it was a poorly defined cluster, but it was at least a tool to locate my new target. About 25’ southwest of Loiano 1, lying between a pair of field stars (9th and 10th mag), using 152x, it was just discerned as a tiny round diffuse mote. Using 199x I confirmed it was indeed a small and round hazy glow, and then at 283x I resolved 2 or 3 stars within the overall unresolved glow of the cluster body. Dropping in the 5mm (397x) I picked up 5 stars within the small glow winking in and out with changes of seeing. This was a tough little group to pull out and a nice challenge. (New)

Alessi-Teutsch 11 (Cygnus, open cluster, mag=unk, size=24.0’, class=unk):
Now turning to chart 18-left in the IDSA, I noticed this cluster, also catalogued as ASCC 112. Centering Sigma Cygni (mag 4.2) in the RACI I began my star hop to the northeast. In the finder the field was denoted as three pairs of 7th and 8th mag stars, with the center pair being part of this cluster. Using the 21mm (94x) I had a loose grouping of 30+ stars swimming around the brighter pair dominating the field. I noted several curving lines and circles of stars within the larger field. Overall it was only slightly detached from the general star field and was not compressed. (New)

NGC 6832 (Cygnus, open cluster, mag=unk, size=12.0’, class=unk):
On chart 9-left I noticed this cluster straddling the Cygnus-Draco border. Some sources list the cluster in Cygnus, some in Draco. Additionally, the RNGC lists it as a non-existent object based on review of imagery, and thus an asterism. Be that as it may, I quickly located its field over 8° NNW of Al-Teu 11. At 152x it was not a cohesive group, dominated by the mag 6.6 HD 187748 at its center in Cygnus and a mag 9.2 star to its west in Draco. Upwards of 20 stars were seen, with the western half of the field being slightly richer than the east. Overall it was a poor grouping. (New)

Basel 14 (Cygnus, open cluster, mag=unk, size=12.0’, class=II3p):
Moving to chart 17-left to the east of the North American Nebula, which was weakly present due to weak transparency, I located this small but noticeable grouping 1° NNE of the mag 5.0 star 68 Cygni. Using 152x it appeared as a small but easily seen grouping. It was dominated by two lines of stars, one containing five stars in the southern part of the field and the other a trio in the northern section. The interior was sparsely and randomly dotted with only a few other stars. The dominant stars ranged from 8th to 12th mag, but otherwise the cluster was not well defined visually. (New)

NGC 7093 (Cygnus, open cluster, mag=unk, size=5.0’, class=unk):
Listed as an asterism by some sources, this grouping was small and unimpressive at 152x. About 23’ north of Rho Cygni (mag 4.0) I found it a vague horseshoe shape of about 15 stars with a brighter dominant star in the center by itself. Weak and poorly detached. (New)

NGC 7062 (Cygnus, open cluster, mag=8.3, size=7.0’, class=III1p):
Almost 2° WNW of the previous object, I picked up this nice little cluster, sitting south of a gentle arch of five field stars. At 152x I found it a pretty and somewhat compressed cluster of almost 30 stars in a well detached circular grouping that stood out well in the field. (New)

NGC 7071 (Cygnus, open cluster, mag=unk, size=4.0’, class=unk):
Listed as non-existent, and thus an asterism, by the RNGC, I located its field 1° southwest of Messier 39. Having seen M39 many times over the years, I did take a moment to view its rich and beautiful structure as a quick reprieve from the several weak clusters I’d seen thus far. At 94x I found NGC 7071 to be very small, a little elongated and containing about a dozen stars. Using 152x I displayed a meandering line of about 10 to 12 stars that flowed southeast to northwest. A few dimmer stars framed this dominant line to its north and south, but otherwise there was not a lot going on here, as it was poorly detached from the wider general Milky Way field found in Cygnus. (New)

Platais 1 (Cygnus, open cluster, mag=unk, size=10.0’, class=unk):
Just NNW of M29 I easily scooped up this small oval shaped grouping using 152x. The variable V1726 Cyg was in the western part of its field, with a dimmer more oval pattern of about 20 stars to its east. Overall it was just slightly detached, but not a strong visual group. (New)

NGC 7044 (Cygnus, open cluster, mag=12.0, size=7.0’, class=II2r):
Shifting to the SSW of 68 Cygni, I located this small and dim cluster about 40’ west of an obvious line of three 6th magnitude field stars. With 152x it was nothing more than a small round unresolved diffuse glow. Using 199x 2, perhaps 3 stars were resolved within this glow. Then with 283x I was picking up 5 or 6 stars winking in and out of view with the persistent backdrop of unresolved star light. I did try at 397x and while the backdrop of unresolved haze remained, I was now pulling out as many as 10 little suns drifting in and out of view as seeing shifted. This was a challenging little cluster that gave up some of its contents grudgingly. (New)

Leiter 9 (Cygnus, asterism, brightest star=6.7, size=34.0’x13.0’):
South of the North American Nebula, positioned between the tip of Florida and the tip of Mexico, this little asterism is called “Little Orion.” At 152x it was clear why it earned this nickname. There were two bright pairs of stars, with a pair of 7th mag suns marked the hunter’s shoulders, while a pair of 6th mag stars represented his feet. Between them was a titled “belt” of three stars (8th and 9th mag). The brightest or anchor star of this asterism, mag 6.7 HD 199395, lay at the position of “Rigel” in the actual Orion constellation. A few other dimmer stars dotted around the field, but the main show here was the diminutive “Orion” figure presented by this random grouping. This was an interesting little pattern and worth a quick look. (New)

Roslund 7 (Cygnus, open cluster, mag=unk, size=20.0’, class=IV2p):
About 5.5° south of the “Little Orion” asterism, sitting at the end of a south to north trickle of stars; I located this scattered cluster with 152x. I counted over 30 stars in a vague triangular shaped grouping. While not rich or particularly detached, it was still not difficult to discern within the general field. (New)

By this time, the fog had formed at ground level, then fallen back perhaps two or three times. But, even that being the case, general transparency had improved as the Milky Way plane overhead was looking more robust than it did earlier. I was halfway expecting the fog to rise and keep rising until it obliterated the sky, but each time it backed off so that I could continue. Now that things were slightly improved in the transparency quality, I decided I’d had enough open cluster hunting, as I was itching to get back to my bread and butter – galaxy hunting! So moving to the left side of chart 17, I moved into western Lacerta to see if I could indeed pin down some of these little fuzzy star islands.

NGC 7223 (Lacerta, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.2, size=1.4’x1.1’, SBr=12.4):
Aiming the scope at HD 211073 (mag 4.5) which is part of the main body of the celestial lizard, I nudge NNW about 1.5° and using nearby field stars triangulated the galaxies location in the RACI. Moving to the eyepiece (94x) I found it in the field of view as a very dim homogeneous rounded smudge. Obviously transparency was improved, but it still wasn’t great. Moving ahead to 152x it was more obvious, though still weak visually. Then at 199x an intermittent stellar core was picked up. I was elated to be back in galaxy hunting mode! (New)

NGC 7197 (Lacerta, spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.6’x0.8’, SBr=12.8):
Nearly 1.5° west of the previous object I settled on the mag 8.5 star HD 209558. Studying the field immediately west of this star at 94x revealed nothing conclusive. Quickly moving to 152x I picked up a small and dim elongated disk that was evenly illuminated. The view was similar at 199x, but though weak it was still fairly obvious within the view. (New)

NGC 7231 (Lacerta, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.9’x0.7’, SBr=13.0):
Moving NNE for just over 4.5° to a rectangular pattern of four field stars southwest of 2 Lacertae (mag 4.6), I studied the field west of the brightest star in the grouping. Starting at 152x I picked up a small elongated homogeneous oval. Dim to the eye, it was not especially difficult. Taking a look with 199x I detected a subtle bit of central brightness around the core and obvious within the view. (New)

UGC 11920 (Lacerta, lenticular galaxy, mag=11.9, size=2.4’x1.5’, SBr=13.1):
Shifting my attention a little over 3° to the NNW, about halfway between the previously viewed open clusters NGC 7209 and NGC 7243, I located the field for this lenticular. Picked up with 152x I found it a small and slightly dim out of round diffuse pip of light. Dropping in the 10mm (199x) I picked up a very dim 14th mag field star just off the galaxy’s northeastern tip. The galaxy itself remained small and a bit weak visually, but not difficult. (New)

UGC 11909 (Lacerta, spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=3.0’x0.7’, SBr=12.9):
A little over a degree SSW of the last object, I picked up a small dim smile of four field stars (9th to 11th mag). Immediately southwest of this little curve I spotted a fairly dim, thin homogeneous glow. Small in angular extent it remained weak at 199x, and taking a peek at 283x confirmed it better as a diffuse thin glow. (New)

NGC 7379 (Lacerta, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=13.0):
Moving over to chart 16-right I wanted to pick up one more in Lacerta before moving to northern Hercules, which had started to drop in the northwest. Aiming at 6 Lacertae (mag 4.5) I then turned southeast about 3.5° to 12 Lacertae (mag 5.2), which is part of a large triangular grouping with 13 Lacertae. My target was just over 1° east of 12 Lac and immediately northwest of a 9th mag field star. Picked up using 152x this barred spiral presented a pretty dim and small thin oval. Homogeneous to the eye, it remained weak at 199x, though not difficult to see. (New)

NGC 6350 (Hercules, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.0’x1.0’, SBr=13.0):
I now moved over to chart 19-left to look for a few NGC galaxies south of Messier 92. Taking a quick look at M92, it was a gorgeous round globe of stellar pinpricks that while smaller than M13, is certainly its rival visually. Anyway, I have previously observed this lenticular, but not another one in close proximity. At 152x NGC 6350 presented a small and homogeneous oval that was slightly dim. Viewing with 199x it was still a little weak visually but still quite easy to discern in the field.

NGC 6348 (Hercules, spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=13.2):
Less than 5’ southwest of NGC 6350 and in the same field of view at 152x, I suspected the presence of this very weak little spiral. It was clearly smaller and dimmer than its field mate, but still I was pretty certain that I was picking it up. Moving to 199x I confirmed its presence as a weak and small evenly illuminated oval southwest of NGC 6350. This galaxy is not plotted in the IDSA but is in Uranometria on chart 34-right. (New)

NGC 6363 (Hercules, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.1’x0.9’, SBr=13.0):
Nearly a degree southeast of NGC 6350 I picked up this small and dim homogeneous rounded glow using 152x. Its disk remained weak visually at 199x, but it was not a difficult object to discern. As an aside, this elliptical is erroneously labeled as NGC 6138 in the IDSA due to duplicate discoveries by Édouard Stephan in 1872 and 1879. Usually the earlier identifier (NGC 6138 in this case) is recognized as the proper label. However, Stephan made a huge positional error in his notes which led to uncertainty regarding it’s identify. The position of his second “discovery” (NGC 6363) was more accurately calculated and thus it is generally accepted as the correct identifier, which is correctly used in Uranometria. (New)

NGC 6343 (Hercules, compact galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.1’x1.1’, SBr=13.7):
About 1° west of the previous object just past a group of five stars (10th and 11th mag), I pinned this object with 152x. It presented as a small, dim round dust mote. Observing with 199x, an intermittent stellar core was seen popping in and out of view in the center of its very small disk. Though not a showpiece, this galaxy turned out to be the 4000th DSO I’ve observed since I began keeping a log 10 years ago. I thought, now on to 5,000 as a little smile appeared on my face. (New)

NGC 6339 (Hercules, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.7, size=2.9’x1.7’, SBr=14.2):
Sticking with Uranometria chart 34-right, my next target was found just 12.5’ south of NGC 6343. Picked up with 152x, it appeared as a small and slightly dim oval that was evenly illuminated across its disk. With 199x it remained a weak presence in the field, though it was a little more apparent to the eye. (New)

NGC 6320 (Hercules, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.2’x0.9’, SBr=13.8):
Nearly a degree southwest of the previous object, and just east of an “L” shaped grouping of four stars (8th and 9th mag), I scooped this pretty dim little oval using 152x. It remained homogeneous at 199x, though slightly more apparent. It also displayed an intermittent stellar core drifting in and out of view. (New)

It was approaching 0200 hours locally and the fog had continued to make its periodic surges up from the valley floor only to drop back again. Hercules was moving toward the tree line on the hillside behind the house now so I looked around the sky a bit while seated at my table. I finally looked at eastern Capricornus and turned the IDSA to chart 65-left. I noticed just over the border into Aquarius there was a grouping of four galaxies at the left side of the page that I had not marked as having been observed. I was getting a bit tired, so I would make these my final targets for the night. I aimed the scope at mag 4.7 Kappa Capricorni to begin my final journey this evening.

NGC 7184 (Aquarius, barred galaxy, mag=10.8, size=6.0’x1.5’, SBr=13.1):
Sweeping ESE for over 4.5° I picked up a wide east-west pair of field stars (6th and 7th mag) at the border with Aquarius. Centering the eastern most of this pair (HD 208735), and with the 13mm in the focuser (152x) I nudged slightly to the northeast and quickly picked up this bright and somewhat large elongated oval. It was homogeneous to the eye and very obvious within the field of view. Going to 199x its major axis became a little more extended as fainter portions were picked up and the disk’s center thickened as dimmer portions of its minor axis became visible. Within the core area, a small central lens of brightness within the overall envelope became apparent. I returned to this galaxy for a final look after viewing its three dimmer neighbors to the north and it was a very nice galaxy with which to bring the session to a close. (New)

NGC 7180 (Aquarius, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.6’x0.7’, SBr=12.7):
Shifting my attention north of NGC 7184, I picked up two glows angled southwest to northeast. The western-most is this small lenticular. I found it with 152x as a homogeneous oval that was subtly bright. At 199x it was obvious in the field with the other galaxy, but remained small and evenly illuminated. (New)

NGC 7185 (Aquarius, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.6, size=2.3’x1.5’, SBr=13.8):
Only about 10’ to the northeast of the previous object I also was seeing this small oval. It was slightly larger in appearance than its neighbor to the southwest. With its lower surface brightness it was subtly dimmer to my eye than NGC 7180, but still readily apparent at 152x. Viewed with 199x it was an obvious oval in the field, remaining homogeneous. (New)

NGC 7188 (Aquarius, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.6’x0.7’, SBr=13.3):
Another 12’ northwest of NGC 7185 I was on the lookout for this dimmer galaxy in the field. At 152x I was just able to discern a very small and diffuse oval glow. With 199x it remained weak visually, though more apparent. Small and homogeneous, it was the weakest of the four galaxies in this little grouping. I then returned to NGC 7180 for a final view before calling it a night. (New)

That was it for this evening. The repeated intrusions of fog were problematic, necessitating short breaks as I waited for it to either take over completely or fall back. Fortunately, each time it was the latter that occurred. That was a blessing indeed as I wanted to eclipse my personal goal for the evening, which did occur. Transparency ranged from poor to barely average at times. Seeing seemed to stay more or less at average levels, which did help. Despite the variability of the conditions, I stuck with it for about four hours and had success, even getting back into galaxy hunting for the last half of the outing. Thanks for following along and I hope you get a change to get out there soon. As for me, I am going on lunar holiday for a bit, until the moon moves out of the way later this month. See you then, conditions permitting of course. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 15 July 2021 - dew, fog and success

Post by turboscrew »

Quite a list again! You're pretty quick with your gear: you still had time to have good looks at the targets - as seen in your descriptions.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:09 am Quite a list again! You're pretty quick with your gear: you still had time to have good looks at the targets - as seen in your descriptions.

Thank you Turbo. I have been observing for a long, long time and increasingly refined my skills over those years. Efficiency and accuracy in my observing has been a large part of the learning process.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congratulations Alan on an excellent report and for winning the VROD for today!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:45 pm Congratulations Alan on an excellent report and for winning the VROD for today!
Thank you Michael.
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Another great and very useful report from you on the open clusters in Cygnus and the galaxies in Hercules and Aquarius. Thanks for the well written and fun read observing report Alan, and congratulations on winning the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent session Alan! About half of OC/AST you observed were not on my DSO master list, thanks for brining them to my attention.
Do you typically generate lists ahead of time for your sessions, or just open IDSA and start shooting? :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:09 pm Hi Alan. Another great and very useful report from you on the open clusters in Cygnus and the galaxies in Hercules and Aquarius. Thanks for the well written and fun read observing report Alan, and congratulations on winning the TSS VROD Award today.
Thank you Marshall. I hope things are well down there and you are able to get out for observing some.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:27 pm Excellent session Alan! About half of OC/AST you observed were not on my DSO master list, thanks for brining them to my attention.
Do you typically generate lists ahead of time for your sessions, or just open IDSA and start shooting? :)
Thank you Andrey. To be honest I use a mixture of both methods. Sometimes I do generate a list of sorts, which can often times be focused on one to three constellations and based on what is "not" in my log. Other times it is a matter of opening up the IDSA and Uranometria and going to predetermined areas of the sky. I try to annotate objects in those two atlases that have been observed so I know what to go after on any given chart. Then other times I have gone out with absolutely no pre-thought as to constellation or objects. I will simply sit back and look around the sky and decide in the moment where I will begin. I then open the atlases to those areas and start hunting. That method is the least used by myself. On those occasions I simply enjoy the randomness of my hunting. But I would say for the most part I prefer to focus on smaller regions of the sky during a session in order to keep my movements smaller to increase productivity. :)
Alan

MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Great report, Alan! :)

This one reminds me of a friend at my old work, who is an avid duck hunter. He is known for going after ducks when the weather is right at the freeze point, with a slight drizzle. He would wade out to his waste in his rubber waders, rain coat, and rain hat, all camouflage. Later, he would come back in with his ducks, icicles on his hat, and a great big grin on his face.

Thanks for taking me along, without a wade through ice and snow!.....
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

MistrBadgr wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:19 pm Great report, Alan! :)

This one reminds me of a friend at my old work, who is an avid duck hunter. He is known for going after ducks when the weather is right at the freeze point, with a slight drizzle. He would wade out to his waste in his rubber waders, rain coat, and rain hat, all camouflage. Later, he would come back in with his ducks, icicles on his hat, and a great big grin on his face.

Thanks for taking me along, without a wade through ice and snow!.....
Thank you Bill and great story about your friend! It was my pleasure to have you join me. Fortunately we neither one got iced up. :) But I will admit to having been out in conditions observing when the exterior of the scope got frosted up pretty heavily. Even the shoulders of my coat and top of my knit cap had a little frost on them as well! :)
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great observations again and congratulations with your VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:31 pm Great observations again and congratulations with your VROD!
Thank you John.
Alan

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Congratulations on a night of successful hunting.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

mikemarotta wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:49 am Congratulations on a night of successful hunting.
Thank you Mike. Appreciate you taking to the time to read the report.
Alan

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Thank you Alan.
Congratulation on the VROD. When I was 20 and full of energy, I would do visual supernova searches on 30-50 galaxies a night with my 6" scope. I don't have the energy nor the back to do the big marathons any more.

I love reading your reports.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

OzEclipse wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:56 pm Thank you Alan.
Congratulation on the VROD. When I was 20 and full of energy, I would do visual supernova searches on 30-50 galaxies a night with my 6" scope. I don't have the energy nor the back to do the big marathons any more.

I love reading your reports.

Joe
Thank you Joe. That is an interesting idea, doing visual searches for SNe. I know that is how discoveries used to be made though and I admire your dedication to the task.

At 67 and also having a weaker back than I used to, I can no longer do all night sessions, nor do I desire to do so. Being out more than four hours is longer than usual for me, as I typically spend two to three hours and call it a night. Take care and thanks for giving my report a read.
Alan

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Alan,
During the longer winter nights 630pm-500am that we experience at this time of year, I find that breaking the night into 2 or very occasionally even 3 sessions of a couple of hours each with a good rest for the back in between can extend my overall observing time. My 18" is an f5.5. The extra 22" focal length I have over your scope means I have to spend that much more time up a ladder. Standing on and climbing up and down the ladder is hard on the back.

Being an astrophotographer, I can also set up a run, forget visual and go inside and relax or even go to bed then get up to shut down and cover up. The Takahashi EM200 has such a small PE that I can leave it running for hours unguided taking multi minute subs. Then I pack up in the morning. In December, the summer nights are much shorter, 1030pm-4am. I will typically relax until twilight then go hard for one session before packing it in.

cheers

Joe
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I don't think anybody does visual supernova searches anymore. The BOSS team does it all photographically. Pro observatories do it automatically. But in the 1970's and early 80's, visual was the only practical way of doing it in near real time. I had a set of galaxy field charts with field stars marked and a light box to view the chart. Then you would check for any new stars. With my 6" reflector and keen young eyes, I could check down to around magnitude 13.8-13.9.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

OzEclipse wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:51 am Alan,
During the longer winter nights 630pm-500am that we experience at this time of year, I find that breaking the night into 2 or very occasionally even 3 sessions of a couple of hours each with a good rest for the back in between can extend my overall observing time. My 18" is an f5.5. The extra 22" focal length I have over your scope means I have to spend that much more time up a ladder. Standing on and climbing up and down the ladder is hard on the back.

Being an astrophotographer, I can also set up a run, forget visual and go inside and relax or even go to bed then get up to shut down and cover up. The Takahashi EM200 has such a small PE that I can leave it running for hours unguided taking multi minute subs. Then I pack up in the morning. In December, the summer nights are much shorter, 1030pm-4am. I will typically relax until twilight then go hard for one session before packing it in.

cheers

Joe
OzEclipse wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:57 am I don't think anybody does visual supernova searches anymore. The BOSS team does it all photographically. Pro observatories do it automatically. But in the 1970's and early 80's, visual was the only practical way of doing it in near real time. I had a set of galaxy field charts with field stars marked and a light box to view the chart. Then you would check for any new stars. With my 6" reflector and keen young eyes, I could check down to around magnitude 13.8-13.9.

Indeed, that longer focal length would be an issue. The most I need is a sturdy two-step stool that I only use part of the time. If at all possible I try to plan my observing around areas that allow me to keep my feet planted on the ground, or at most one step up periodically. Not easy getting older sometimes.

I am not aware of anyone doing visual SNe searches any longer. There are various automated systems working on those now, so we just sit back and wait for the results. I enjoy observing them whenever I can. The ability to see an individual star within another galaxy is a fascinating thing to me. I remember having keen young eyes - vaguely! :)
Alan