Let's see your reports!
avid.astronomer United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 15 July 2021 - dew, fog and success

Post by avid.astronomer »

You got some great observations in, Alan, despite the fog. I've been doing a lot of playing with smartphone astrophotography this past year, and it has been fun and a great learning experience, but I really need to get back to my first love of visual observing again.
Tom Campbell (astro.tomandjul.com)

SCOPES: Sky-Watcher 300p f/4.9, Discovery DHQ-8 f/6, Meade DS-2080AT 80 f/10, Meade AS80 f/5
BINOS: 10x50, 16x50, 10x70
1,124 Observations, 603 Objects (97 Glxy, 185 OC, 58 GC, 17 Neb, 39 PN, 171 Dbl)
AL Awards: Messier, Double Star, Bino Messier, Planetary Transit
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

avid.astronomer wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:50 pm You got some great observations in, Alan, despite the fog. I've been doing a lot of playing with smartphone astrophotography this past year, and it has been fun and a great learning experience, but I really need to get back to my first love of visual observing again.
Thank you Tom. Locally, this summer has been far worse than last year. We have had weaker transparency and more fog than I experienced at the dark site in 2020. Now, we are starting to get air quality alerts due to the smoke from out west making its way to us. I am hopeful that as we transition from summer to fall later on, that things will settle down and we get some more stable conditions. But I know that is not up to us!

Good luck with your adventures in smartphone AP. For myself, I will always remain a visual only person. Its just what I like and how I'm wired. Will keep it up as long as my health permits. While I am 67, I feel pretty good generally and should have several more years to enjoy it - I hope! :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Sorry to be late with this Alan. I really enjoyed another fine report from you and congratulations on your four thousandth object. I can appreciate such a milestone since I too am primarily a visual observer but not nearly as proficient as you. I think I have logged around 2400 observations in almost 7 years. I truly enjoy every one of your reports and often print them out for use as an observing list at the scope. Like you my all-nighter days are over although I do have a cot in my observatory for short naps! :lol: Thanks again Alan for sharing your fine reports with us! I’m looking forward to hearing from you again in the next dark cycle! :text-thankyoublue:
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

10538 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:39 pm Sorry to be late with this Alan. I really enjoyed another fine report from you and congratulations on your four thousandth object. I can appreciate such a milestone since I too am primarily a visual observer but not nearly as proficient as you. I think I have logged around 2400 observations in almost 7 years. I truly enjoy every one of your reports and often print them out for use as an observing list at the scope. Like you my all-nighter days are over although I do have a cot in my observatory for short naps! :lol: Thanks again Alan for sharing your fine reports with us! I’m looking forward to hearing from you again in the next dark cycle! :text-thankyoublue:
Hi Ed, nice to hear from you, and thank you for your kind comments.

Well done on your ~2400 objects in around 7 years. I was hoping to hit #4000 about three reports ago, but conditions have been much more difficult this summer than last. That cot sounds like a fine idea, as I've come to enjoy a fine nap! :) I am hopeful things will settle down the next cycle and return to a more normal state as far as sky conditions go. Looking forward to some nice autumn galaxy hunting as well. Take care buddy and keep looking up!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)