Observing Report for 03 July 2021 - a rough night in the field

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 03 July 2021 - a rough night in the field

Post by kt4hx »

We took a one evening trip over to the dark site house Saturday, as the forecast was for mostly clear skies. But we also wanted return home on Sunday to go to the local fireworks display with family and friends. So I was hoping that the skies would be good for this quick trip. I planned to work on some more galaxies in Hercules that I have not scooped up yet to fill in the evening after having a look at the comet C/2020 T2 (Palomar), which was reported on by our colleague and friend Andrey (Bigzmey).

However, the evening didn’t quite turn out how I had hoped. The conditions were soft both in terms of transparency and seeing, Plus there was an event at the small fairgrounds about a mile north of us in town (population about 150 souls) and after that concluded, there was a ton of traffic going past the house lighting me up much more than is typical. So all that combined with general fatigue from having gotten up early Saturday and the over four hour drive over, I could tell my mental focus was not at the level I usually have. After a while I found that I was not mentally and physically in the game, so I called it an evening around 0030 hours, much earlier than I had planned. It was just one of those nights that just didn’t seem to work out like I’d planned, but then again we've all had those from time to time. But we’ve all had those from time to time.

The above said, I still managed to scrape 10 new galaxies from the sky, plus the comet and to wrap up things I re-visited various bright and easy objects to at least get some eye candy before putting the gear away. So with that, let’s delve into the results of my two to two and a half hour outing.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 21mm (94x, 1.1° TFOV, 4.7mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)

Comet C/2020 T2 Palomar (Bootes, mag=10.5, size 3.8’):
I created a chart for 2230 hours on 03 July to aid in locating the comet near a wide pair of 9th mag field stars (9.02 and 9.78) in southern Bootes. About 2215 hours I sat back in my chair and used my 10x50 Pentax binoculars to locate the field not quite 10° south of Eta Bootis (Mufrid). I found it very small and dim in the binoculars, but it was seen weakly. Moving to the 17.5 inch scope I retraced the star hop from Mufrid in the 8x50 RACI finders and as the sky was quickly approaching astronomical darkness, I also found that I could just discern the comet in the finder, though it was quite weakly present and could have been easily overlooked. Moving to the eyepiece, the 21mm Ethos (94x), the comet was very apparent as a very diffuse round glow. It was bright and fairly large, its coma very gauzy looking with a stellar core noticeable at its center. I would judge its current listed size of 3.8’ (the coma) as pretty accurate. Like Andrey, I felt its visual magnitude was brighter than 10.5. By defocusing the adjacent pair of 9th mag stars to a comparable angular size, I felt its visual magnitude lay somewhere between those two extremes. While I am not a prolific comet chaser, checking my records I note the last one observed was in early December 2020, C/2020 M3 Atlas in Auriga. (New)

NGC 5332 (Bootes, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.9, size=0.9’X0.9’, SBr=12.6):
After the comet I noticed this galaxy in the IDSA (chart 45-left) that I had not observed previously. I picked it up about 1.5° SSW of Mufrid (Eta Boo) and just NNW of mag 6.6 HD 120997. Studying the field at 152x
(New)

NGC 5158 (Coma Berenices, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.3’x1.2’, SBr=13.3):
Still on chart 45-left, I also noticed a small loose scattering of some NGC galaxies just inside Coma Berenices from Bootes that were not in my log. So I made my way to the field and began my hunt. This barred spiral was the first of the lot that I picked up using 94x. It was small and round, a little dim and homogeneous to the eye. Viewing with 152x it remained dim though it was not difficult to see in the field, and it remained evenly illuminated across its disk. (New)

NGC 5190 (Coma Berenices, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.0’x0.8’, SBr=12.8):
Next up was this small thick oval. At 94x it was subtly bright (higher SBr than the previous object). I was diffuse and homogeneous. Using 152x I picked up a very intermittent stellar core in the center of it’s out of round disk. (New)

NGC 5217 (Coma Berenices, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.5’x1.4’, SBr=13.3):
This elliptical was very small in visual angular extent but slightly bright to the eye at 94x. Round in shape it also displayed a stellar core. It was an easy object at 152x, but remained small visually and its stellar core shone steadily. (New)

NGC 5172 (Coma Berenices, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.9, size=3.3’x1.7’, SBr=13.7):
This small and elongated glow was somewhat bright at 94x. It displayed a broadly brighter central region. An intermittent stellar core was revealed at 152x, within its brighter central lens. (New)

NGC 5180 (Coma Berenices, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.4’x1.0’, SBr=13.2):
A little over 13.5’ south of the previous object and within the same FOV, I spotted this small and dim lenticular using 94x. A stellar core was detected within its oval envelope. It remained small and dim at 152x, and clearly had less visual punch than its neighbor to the north. (New)

NGC 5151 (Coma Berenices, spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=0.8’x0.8’, SBr=12.9):
About 38’ west of the previous pair I picked up this small and fairly dim round mote. I had a fleeting suspicion of a stellar core, but was uncertain at 94x. Viewing with 152x the galaxy remained dim but not difficult to pick up in the field. Overall it remained small and round to the eye, but the suspected stellar core was more apparent now. (New)

NGC 6106 (Hercules, spiral galaxy, mag=12.2, size=2.5’x1.4’, SBr=13.4):
Finally making my way over to Hercules now, I turned to chart 43-right in the IDSA I hoped to begin the foraging there that I had planned for the evening. However, I found that conditions seemed to be weakening even more and my general fatigue seemed to ramp up as well. I located this small and somewhat bright oval using 94x. Its disk was evenly illuminated and remained so at 152x. It was an obvious object within the field of view. (New)

UGC 10337 (Hercules, spiral galaxy, mag=14.0, size=1.2’x0.4’, SBr=13.1):
Just 13’ southeast of the previous object (in Uranometria and within the same field of view, I was picking up hints of this galaxy at 152x and 199x. Overall it was very dim and small. Thin and elongated, it was a ghostly presence very near a 13th mag field star. (New)

NGC 6347 (Hercules, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.2’x0.7’, SBr=13.3):
Moving to the left side of chart 43, this barred spiral was picked up at 152x as a small and surprisingly, subtly bright oval. It was evenly illuminated across its envelope and it remained homogeneous at 199x. It was near a dim pair of field stars (13th and 14th), forming a triangle with them. (New)

I had worked much harder for the few galaxies I was able to scrape up; with several others I targeted eluding me. Conditions seemed to be quite variable, with some short periods of better transparency, and then it would bottom out. Seeing was also changing a lot. I suspected there could have been some high thin clouds at times, though I could not see them in the dark sky. So with serious fatigue and angst settling into my psyche, I decided to stop by a few of this month’s DSO challenge objects to round out the evening.

Messier 27 / NGC 6853 (Vulpecula, planetary nebula, mag=7.1, size=8.0’x5.7’, SBr=11.0):
Quickly found by aiming the scope at 14 Vulpeculae (mag 4.6) using the Rigel Quikfinder, I then moved to the 8x50 RACI optical finder and slipped slightly to the southeast, where I could just discern the tiny disk of M27. Moving to the eyepiece (94x) it was a marvelously bright and large out of round disk, filled with whitish-gray nebulosity, and its dumbbell or apple core interior easily seen. Dropping in the 13mm Ethos (152x) it was right in my face as a very large and very bright disk. Its interior structure (dumbbell) was easily seen and its shell was generally uneven in brightness. I did drop in the DGM NPB filter to take a quick look, but actually preferred the unfiltered view this time around. It put on a marvelous show and raised my spirits a bit. :)

Messier 20 / NGC 6514 (Sagittarius, bright nebula, mag=6.3, size=29.0’x27.0’):
Swinging down to the celestial archer, I could see both M20 and M8 with the naked eye despite the weaker than usual transparency. Easily scooping up both of them in the RACI and then at 94x, I concentrated on the “Trifid” first. As it eased into the field of view it was easy to see how it got its nickname. Three primary sections were easily visible without a filter and the view at 152x was outstanding. The depth and extent of its dark lanes lent it an almost 3-D curdled appearance. I did not notice the reflection elements at the northern edge of the primary complex, but transparency being as it was, I was not overly surprised. The open cluster (OCL-37) at its heart was readily apparent as a tiny knot of stellar light surrounded by a scatter of stars. It was such a beautiful object to enjoy at the end of my evening.

Messier 8 / NGC 6533 (Sagittarius, bright nebula, mag=5.8, size=90.0’x40.0’):
Less than 1.5° SSE of M20 I quickly centered this beautiful enormous nebular complex. I easily noticed the bright scattering of stars marking the open cluster NGC 6530 in the eastern portion of the nebula. The exceedingly bright northwestern section, NGC 6523, was prominent, and displayed variations in density and brightness around its periphery. The primary dark lane was quite prominent between NGC 6523 and the smaller and dimmer portion, NGC 6526 to its southeast. This section of the complex, though not as bold as that on the other side of the “lagoon” was still quite bold and displayed variations in density and brightness across its dimension. Overall the whole nebula (NGC 6533) was a beautiful and entrancing sight on such an otherwise poor evening.

M22 / NGC 6656 (Sagittarius, globular cluster, mag=5.2, size=32.0’, class=7):
Since I was in Sagittarius, and I could spot it naked eye as well, I had to stop by one of my favorite globular clusters. Easily picked up in the RACI as a very noticeable round glow, at 94x it was a breathtaking. Large and round, it was a bright display of stars emanating out from a strong and condensed core. At 152x it exploded into a huge ball of stars emanating out from the blazing core. While not fully resolved, countless stars were seen outward into its halo and across the face of its visible disk. I was reminded why this is such a stunning object through the eyepiece.

So after cruising through a few old favorites, I felt better as I moved the gear back to the garage. While the evening didn’t turn out exactly as I had envisioned, it was far from unsuccessful. A comet was seen, a few new galaxies were seen, and so nice summer eye candy was seen. That is a win-win-win in any regard. Thanks for following along with me and hope to see you back out there soon.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 03 July 2021 - a rough night in the field

Post by KingNothing13 »

Alan - it may not have been the night you wanted, but you still got some things in, and some new things too boot! Can't complain too much about that. :)
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Long list. especially considering the time.
Also loved the descriptions of the visual experiences.
Very nice report, thanks!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

KingNothing13 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:20 pm Alan - it may not have been the night you wanted, but you still got some things in, and some new things too boot! Can't complain too much about that. :)
Thanks Brett. Well, I can complain, but I know what you mean. I could have been shut out completely and that would have indeed been irritating! :)
turboscrew wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:39 pm Long list. especially considering the time.
Also loved the descriptions of the visual experiences.
Very nice report, thanks!
Thank you Turbo. I appreciate you taking the time to come along on my journey.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:55 pm
KingNothing13 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:20 pm Alan - it may not have been the night you wanted, but you still got some things in, and some new things too boot! Can't complain too much about that. :)
Thanks Brett. Well, I can complain, but I know what you mean. I could have been shut out completely and that would have indeed been irritating! :)
I said too much - it leaves some room for complaining ;)
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

I have to hand it to you Allan, you always make the best of everything :D Nice you got to see c/2020 Palomar and yet more new galaxies; as well as some old friends.

3AM. Been a while since I've done that!

All the best and great report,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I know how you feel Alan. Sometimes there are A+ sessions and sometimes C-, but if you bring home a few new targets it is a win in my books!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

It may have not been the evening you wanted, but it is obvious ( reading your enthusiasm) that the Messiers saved the match!
Thanks for your report!
More people should finish their tiring session with Messier- beauties!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Well, despite the poor seeing, fireworks and traffic, you still came away with some nice targets, including some new ones. All I see in the sky the last few nights are clouds and rain, and more coming with Elsa heading up the west coast of Florida soon. Thanks for your report Alan, and hoping that your next session will have better conditions.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

KingNothing13 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:32 pm
kt4hx wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:55 pm
I said too much - it leaves some room for complaining ;)
Nah, no matter how you phrased it, I would find some wiggle room for complaining. I wear my "old curmudgeon" badge proudly! :lol:

Thefatkitty wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:40 pm I have to hand it to you Allan, you always make the best of everything :D Nice you got to see c/2020 Palomar and yet more new galaxies; as well as some old friends.

Thank you Mark and I will certainly try to make a go of it. A few objects are better than none ultimately, no matter how much I might complain! :)

No, not 0300, but 0030. It would be a rare thing for me to stay out that long! That is why I like fall-winter-spring observing better. You can start earlier and finish earlier. At my advanced age, I highly value my sleep! :)
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:57 pm I know how you feel Alan. Sometimes there are A+ sessions and sometimes C-, but if you bring home a few new targets it is a win in my books!

Thank you Andrey. I would say maybe you could include D and F sessions as well! Those have me shaking my fist at the sky. :lol:

Indeed, if you come home with a few in the log and the chance to see some eye candy as well, then it is a winner, even if its not the grand prize you wish for!

John Baars wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:28 pm It may have not been the evening you wanted, but it is obvious ( reading your enthusiasm) that the Messiers saved the match!
Thanks for your report!
More people should finish their tiring session with Messier- beauties!

Thanks John. I typically like to start with easy one or two and finish the same way. At the beginning it allows your observing eye to adjust to the sky through eyepieces, and at the end, after pursuing a lot of dim objects, it helps the eye relax and has a calming effect as well to take in the beauty of the brighter objects. Folks should give that idea a try as you mention.

Makuser wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:58 pm Hi Alan. Well, despite the poor seeing, fireworks and traffic, you still came away with some nice targets, including some new ones. All I see in the sky the last few nights are clouds and rain, and more coming with Elsa heading up the west coast of Florida soon. Thanks for your report Alan, and hoping that your next session will have better conditions.

Many thanks Marshall. Yeah it was an eventful night that is for sure. Lots of activity about a mile up the road and me trying to do my thing in the dark! :) Good luck with your storm down there. I hope things don't get too bad and you are back to some clear skies! :)
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice report, Alan (sorry I missed it earlier). And congrats on the comet capture. It's still on my bucket list!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:09 pm
Thefatkitty wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:40 pm I have to hand it to you Allan, you always make the best of everything :D Nice you got to see c/2020 Palomar and yet more new galaxies; as well as some old friends.

Thank you Mark and I will certainly try to make a go of it. A few objects are better than none ultimately, no matter how much I might complain! :)

No, not 0300, but 0030. It would be a rare thing for me to stay out that long! That is why I like fall-winter-spring observing better. You can start earlier and finish earlier. At my advanced age, I highly value my sleep! :)
My bad; that would certainly be a military faux-pas! I was thinking; you're a bit older than me, what's my excuse? Now I feel better ;)

All the best buddy,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:32 pm Nice report, Alan (sorry I missed it earlier). And congrats on the comet capture. It's still on my bucket list!

Dave

Thank you Dave. Bucket list? I should get one of those! :lol: Actually the only thing on mine is to not "kick it" too soon! :)
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thefatkitty wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:58 pm
kt4hx wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:09 pm

My bad; that would certainly be a military faux-pas! I was thinking; you're a bit older than me, what's my excuse? Now I feel better ;)

All the best buddy,
Well not knowing how old you are, you are likely correct. I will say for the point of comparison that I hit 67 this year. Slower, older, a little heavier, but not ready to give up just yet! :)
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Very nice report Alan, you started out with some distractions but closed it out well! Congrats on winning the VROD for today!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:51 pm Very nice report Alan, you started out with some distractions but closed it out well! Congrats on winning the VROD for today!

Thank you Michael.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD- award!
Well done!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations on the VROD!!!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.