Observing Report for 04 June 2021 - tucked away in a corner of Virgo

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 04 June 2021 - tucked away in a corner of Virgo

Post by kt4hx »

Though we have a lot going on presently, I made a quick trip over to the dark site for a one-nighter. We had been having a lot of cloudiness and some rain, and with the systems finally working their way through, the skies were forecast to be decent for the night. I made the trek over to sate my desire for observing galaxies and was not disappointed. The sky was very nice during the evening. By the time I wrapped up the Milky Way plane was making its way up from the horizon and staring to fill in nicely from horizon to horizon. While not as robustly structured as I’ve seen it there, due to increasing humidity levels, it was still a glorious sight. I commenced around 2200 hours, a full half-hour before astronomical darkness, but the sky was still sufficiently dark to start picking up my first galaxies.

But more to the task at hand, I would concentrate my efforts in the northeastern corner of Virgo, where it butts up against Bootes and Coma Berenices. I have not spent any time in that particular section before, and so wanted to see what I could dredge up in that little pocket of the constellation. It turned out to be a nice adventure which had me following Virgo across the sky for a while. As my guides for this area I utilized the IDSA chart 45 and Uranometria chart 90.

I then wrapped up the evening in eastern Bootes, southwest of Gamma Bootis (Seginus) mopping up a few galaxies before my energy levels finally said it was time to call it a night around 0130 hours. There I utilized chart 32-right of the IDSA. The dew was heavy, but I had anticipated that and had dew straps on my Rigel Quikfinder and RACI finders so they remained clear the entire time. So let’s get started on my journey for this outing.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

(Treasure found)

NGC 4880 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=11.4, size=3.1’x2.5’, SBr=13.4):
Using chart 45 in the IDSA as my guide, I aimed the scope at magnitude 2.8 Epsilon Virginis (Vindemiatrix). About 1.5° NNW I located my first object for the evening. Viewed at 152x and 199x it was a somewhat bright homogeneous oval that was small in visual extent. (New)

NGC 4866 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=11.2, size=6.4’x1.5’, SBr=13.4):
Almost 2° north of the previous object I quickly located this slightly large and somewhat bright glowing sliver. Observed at both 152x and 199x it was very elongated in an east-west orientation. There was a brighter central lens within the disk along the major axis and a very small concentrated brightness at the core. I noticed a dim foreground star west of the core. (New)

NGC 4746 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=2.1’x0.6’, SBr=12.6):
Nudging to the southwest over 2.5° and passing over 41 Virginis (mag 6.2) in the sweep, I quickly located this small spiral. Overall, at both 152x and 199x, it presented a small and slightly dim homogeneous thin oval. (New)

NGC 4762 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=10.3, size=8.7’x1.7’, SBr=13.0):
NGC 4754 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=10.6, size=4.4’x2.4’, SBr=12.9):

From the last object I nudged south to pick up this pair of previously observed galaxies on way to another new one to their southwest. Taking a quick glance at these bright and fairly large lenticular galaxies within the same field of view, they were quite different in appearance. NGC 4762 was the brighter and larger, a very thin sliver with an involved star toward the southern end of the visible halo. NGC 4754, on the other hand, was a smaller and only slightly dimmer thick oval with an obvious stellar core. As an aside to this duo, just over half a degree to their northeast I noticed the double star STF 1689. This pair presented a contrasting pair with the primary being a pale yellow (mag 6.9 HD 112278) and the secondary being white (mag 9.4 HIP 63079). They are separated by about 29” in a northeast-southwest orientation.

NGC 4733 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.9, size=2.2’x2.2’, SBr=13.3):
A little southwest of the previous pair of galaxies I easily spotted this small round glow. At 152x it was diffuse and somewhat bright, with an intermittent stellar core. Viewed with 199x it was very obvious within the field, showing a very diffuse disk with a steady stellar core at its center. A dim field star was sitting right at the western edge of the halo. (New)

NGC 4694 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=11.4, size=3.3’x1.6’, SBr=12.9):
Next up was this small and somewhat bright thin oval nearly 1° west of NGC 4733. Viewed at both 152x and 199x it displayed an intermittent stellar core within its thin envelope. (New)

Messier 60 / NGC 4649 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=8.8, size=7.6’x6.2’, SBr=12.7):
Though I have observed this object a few times over the years, for some reason, I did not find the brighter galaxies that are found within the same field of view in my log. So this was a mop up visit to this bright elliptical to fix that discrepancy. But first, I took a quick gander at this grand member of the Virgo Galaxy Cluster. At 152x it was large and bright, revealing a very bright broad brightness within the larger halo. Typical of elliptical, there was not a lot of detail in its disk, but it sure was a bright one!

NGC 4647 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.3, size=2.9’x2.3’, SBr=13.1):
Just off the northwestern edge of M60 I could easily see this bright rounded glow that seemed subtly large in extent. An intermittent stellar core was evident at 152x and at 199x its envelope just overlapped with that of M60 and the pair were a grand sight. (New)

NGC 4638 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=11.2, size=2.2’x1.4’, SBr=12.2):
Within the same field of view with M60/NGC 5657 I easily picked up this lenticular, about 14.5’ to their southwest. At 152x and 199x it presented a bright small diffuse oval with a stellar core pinned to its center. The three galaxies were a nice triplet in the field. (New)

NGC 4660 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.2, size=2.1’x1.7’, SBr=12.3):
About 25’ southeast of M60 this small and bright out of round glow exhibited a stellar core. Viewed with 152x and 199x, it presented a typical view for small elliptical galaxies. (New)

NGC 4779 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=2.1’x1.8’, SBr=13.8):
Nearly 2.5° southwest of Vindemiatrix I swept up this small rounded glow using 152x. Slightly dim to the eye, it was evenly illuminated across its disk. Then at 199x I picked up an intermittent stellar core winking in and out. (New)

NGC 4795 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.1, size=2.3’x1.6’, SBr=13.3):
NGC 4796 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.5, size=0.4’x0.3’, SBr=11.9):

Nudging south from the previous object, I found this intriguing duo about 1.5° to its SSE. Using 152x, the interacting pair presented a single small overlapping oval glow that was slightly dim. The combined envelope was diffuse with twin non-stellar cores clearly seen. With 199x the double core of these involved galaxies stood out very clearly within the small overall halo. (New-2)

NGC 4803 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.5’x0.3’, SBr=11.8):
About 13’ northeast of the preceding pair of galaxies and in the same field of view I pinned down this little dust bunny. Observed with 152x, 199x and 283x it remained a fairly small and somewhat dim homogeneous oval. (New)

UGC 8042 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.9, size=1.3’x0.8’, SBr=13.8):
UGC 8045 (Virgo, barred irregular galaxy, mag=14.3, size=1.0’x0.7’, SBr=13.8):

Nearly 9.5’ SSE of the NGC 4795/4796 duo was able to pin down this pair of dim and small galaxies. They were about 3.5’ apart in an east-west line. At 152x they were both very difficult to hold steadily as a pair of weak diffuse glows. At 199x they were both weak and homogeneous to the eye, with UGC 8042 being subtly brighter to my eye. Even at 283x they remained poor visual targets, but were held more steadily in the view. (New-2)

NGC 4992 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.2’x0.7’, SBr=12.9):
Shifting more to the east of Vindemiatrix on chart 45-left I located this small oval glow using 152x. A little dim to the eye it exhibited an intermittent stellar core. The view changed little at 199 xs and it remained a little visually weak. (New)

UGC 8255 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.5’x1.1’, SBr=13.5):
Not quite half a degree ESE of the previous galaxy I pulled down this spiral. Overall it was a fairly dim and small diffuse oval at 152 xs. Using 199x it was more apparent but remained a weak homogeneous oval. (New)

NGC 5020 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.7, size=3.1’x2.7’, SBr=13.7):
Next up was this subtly large oval that was quite diffuse and of somewhat low surface brightness. It did display a stellar core within its envelope. Viewed with 199 xs it remained generally ghostly in appearance, with a very apparent stellar core pinned to its center. (New)

NGC 4969 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.9, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=13.7):
A little over 1.5° to the northwest of the last object, I studied the field just northeast of a line of four field stars ranging from 7th to 11th magnitude. Eventually at 152x I picked up a very dim and very small rounded mote. Once I pinpointed it in the field, I quickly moved up to 199x and then 283x. Even so, it remained a very weak presence in the field, though it was confirmed as a very dim round glow that was clearly non-stellar. A very small and very faint companion galaxy, PGC 3553148, which is involved in the disk of NGC 4969, was not seen. (New)

NGC 5058 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=0.6’x0.6’, SBr=12.1):
Almost 4° ENE of Vindemiatrix I nailed down this very small and round dust bunny. At 152x it was fairly dim, but not difficult. Visually it was generally homogeneous. Then at 199x an intermittent stellar core made its appearance, though overall the system remained weak to the eye. An interesting aside was the passage of a satellite through the field of view as I was observing this spiral. (New)

NGC 5129 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.1, size=1.7’x1.4’, SBr=12.8):
Continuing to the northeast and near the border with Coma Berenices, I picked up this elliptical with 152x. It presented a small and fairly bright oval glow with a compact non-stellar brightness in its core. Its appearance changed little at 199x and it remained quite obvious in the field. (New)

NGC 5132 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.3’x0.9’, SBr=13.1):
Within the same field of view about 8.5’ to the northeast of the previous object I also noted this dimmer galaxy. I found it small and just slightly bright to my eye. At both 152x and 199x it presented as an evenly illuminated oval glow. (New)

NGC 5136 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.0, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=12.8):
Found 17.5’ southeast of NGC 5129, this object was suspected at 152x, then confirmed as a weak rounded homogeneous dust bunny at 199x. Even at 283x it remained a very weak entity within the field and was more difficult than I thought it would be at its listed magnitude. This galaxy also carries the identifier IC 888 due to an erroneous 1889 re-discovery by Lewis Swift. Discovery credit is given to William Herschel in 1784. (New)

NGC 5181 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.9, size=0.9’x0.8’, SBr=13.3):
Nudging to the ESE a little over a degree I located the field for this lenticular. After allowing my eye to adjust to the new field of view I picked up my quarry using 152x. I presented a small and fairly dim round glow. A very fleeting stellar core seemed to flicker into view at times. Then at 199x the galaxy was easier though still dim. The stellar core remained weak and intermittent. (New)

NGC 5185 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.8’x0.7’, SBr=13.6):
Only about 9’ northeast of NGC 5181 and in the same field of view I spotted this small and dim elongated glow using 152x. Clearly brighter than its neighbor, it too exhibited a very intermittent stellar core. Thought it was a little more obvious at 199x, it remained dim and the core weakly present. (New)

NGC 5167 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=0.9’x0.9’, SBr=13.3):
A little SSW of NGC 5181 I pinned down my next dim little dust bunny. Viewed at both 152x and 199x, it presented a dim and round homogenous glow. Though small a weak visually it was not particularly difficult to discern within the field. (New)

NGC 5230 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.1, size=1.9’x1.9’, SBr=13.2):
Up in the corner of Virgo where it meets Coma Berenices and Bootes I picked up a little curve of galaxies. The most apparent was this somewhat bright and round small glow. Easily seen at both 152x and 199x it remained a homogenous disk. (New)

NGC 5222 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.1, size=1.3’x1.0’, SBr=14.1):
PGC 93122 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=14.7, size=0.7’x0.5’, SBr=13.3):

About 9’ northwest of the previous galaxy I located this small and fairly dim diffuse rounded mote using 152x. Then with 199x it remained dim but with an intermittent stellar core popping in and out. Additionally I was getting a sense of a perpendicular extension to the east side of the north-south major axis. Going up to 283x I confirmed this very faint extension. This would be the companion galaxy PGC 93122. Though pretty dim, it still was not overly difficult once I affixed its position relative to the disk of the primary. NGC 5222 and NGC 5221 (next object) are together also catalogued as Arp 288. (New-2)

NGC 5221 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.6’x0.8’, SBr=13.0):
Just 5.5’ north of the previous pair, the northern component of Arp 288 presented a small and dim oval. Located using 152x it revealed an intermittent stellar core at its center. Viewing with 199x didn’t give much improvement as it remained dim with a weak stellar core. (New)

NGC 5226 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=15.7, size=0.5’x0.3’, SBr=12.9):
This little dust mote is plotted in Uranometria (not IDSA) about 5.5’ NNE of NGC 5221. Shifting my attention to its field (not knowing its magnitude) I found nothing at 152x. Then with 199x I got a very vague sense that maybe, just maybe, there could be something there. Going ahead to 283x, and studying the field for a bit, I sincerely felt that in moments of clarity there was a very small diffuse presence in the field but it was so difficult to be totally certain that I did not consider it a confirmed observation. At its visual magnitude of 15.7, it is indeed very dim for an NGC object, and it was discovered by Dreyer using the Lord Rosse Leviathan 72 inch reflector in 1877, so I guess I shouldn’t feel so badly about missing it. :)

NGC 5171 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=12.4):
NGC 5176 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.5’x0.5’, SBr=12.6):
NGC 5177 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=14.6, size=0.7’x0.2’, SBr=12.2):
NGC 5179 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=14.2, size=0.7’x0.4’, SBr=12.6):

This was quite an interesting field. In the IDSA only two galaxies are plotted here, but at 152x I spotted four glows of varying faintness. So I immediately consulted chart 90 in the Uranometria, which showed a clump of four galaxies. They formed a triangular grouping with NGC 5171 at the southern corner, NGC 5179 at the eastern and NGC 5179 holding down the northern corner. NGC 5177 was immediately north of NGC 5179.

NGC 5171 was obviously the brightest of the group at 152x as a small homogeneous rounded glow. The other three were noticeably dimmer to varying degrees and smaller in angular extent. All were a little more obvious at 199x, though the dimmest three were still fairly weak. All remained homogeneous throughout. (New-4)

NGC 5178 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.2’x0.7’, SBr=13.3):
Only about 7’ SSE of NGC 5171 and in the same field of view as the group I noticed this small oval. At 152x and 199x it remained consistently dim and evenly illuminated glow. (New)

UGC 8472 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.2, size=1.0’x0.3’, SBr=12.7):
Things get a little squirrely here. The RNGC (and by extension Uranometria and Sky Tools 3) erroneously identify this galaxy as NGC 5162. However, that is an erroneous duplicate identifier for NGC 5174, which lies 16.5’ to the SSE. So this confusion had to be worked out afterwards to fully understand the galaxy I observed. All that said, observed with both 152x and 199x this lenticular presented a small and fairly dim oval that was evenly illuminated. It lay just north of a jagged line of four field stars (12th and 13th mag). (New)

NGC 5165 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.7, size=0.8’x0.5’, SBr=12.4):
Nearly 11’ northwest of the previous target I pinned down this fairly dim little oval. Observed with both 152x and 199x it remained a homogeneous little dust bunny. (New)

NGC 5174 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.0, size=2.7’x1.4’, SBr=14.2):
Turning back to the SSE, I swept up this obvious small oval using 152x about 25.5’ from NGC 5165. It lay nearly 12’ NNE of the magnitude 5.6 star 71 Virginis, which did not impact the view as I could keep it out of the field of view. I found it just slightly to the dim side, but still easy. It presented an evenly illuminated smooth oval glow. Even at 199x it remained homogeneous to the eye and clearly dominated the view.

William Herschel discovered the galaxy in 1784. However, Lewis Swift “seemingly” rediscovered the galaxy in 1887. But his position was about one minute west of Herschel’s galaxy and Dreyer assumed it was a new find, assigning it a separate identifier of NGC 5162. In reality, they are the same object, so Herschel’s discovery takes precedence and its primary identifier should be NGC 5174. The error in the RNGC mentioned in my notes for UGC 8472 above, further compound the identify problems. (New)

NGC 5191 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.9’x0.7’, SBr=13.1):
I picked up this spiral 23’ northeast of NGC 5174. I actually still had the XW10 (199x) in the focuser when I located it and only observed it at that magnification. It presented as very small and dim oval with a stellar core gleaming steadily at the center. (New)

NGC 5125 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.4, size=1.7’x1.3’, SBr=13.0):
My last object in northeastern Virgo for this evening was the slightly bright oval. I located it a little over 1.5° southwest of 71 Virginis. Using 152x it was small and homogeneous. With 199x it was quite obvious within the view but remained a smooth oval disk with no variations in illumination. (New)

To give my brain a chance to reset and my observing eye some rest, I took a break by spending a few minutes with one of the targets from the TSS Monthly DSO Challenge for June. Consulting chart 56-right in the IDSA I affixed its position in my mind and then aimed the scope at magnitude 3.7 Epsilon Serpentis. I swept to the WSW picking up a loose grouping of stars near the Virgo border that includes the 5th magnitude stars 10, 5, 6 and 4 Serpentis. In the finder, immediately northwest of 5 Ser I could easily see the soft glow of my target, the beautiful globular cluster Messier 5.

Messier 5 / NGC 5904 (Serpens, globular cluster, mag=5.7, size=23.0’, class=5):
Moving to the eyepiece (152x) was nothing short of an emotional experience. My eye was graced with, in my view, one of the most beautiful and entrancing globular clusters in the sky. Dominating the field it was a large swirling mass of stars. The core was very compressed and extremely bright. Stars were resolved across the face of the core with hazy backdrop of countless unresolved suns. There were swirls of stars flowing in all directions as one’s eye moved across its huge globe. My eye picked up a particularly noticeable string of stars spiraling out from the core and wrapping around through the outer halo. This immediately brought to mind a graceful uncoiling arm within a bright face-on spiral galaxy. The outer halo was extensive and highly resolved, and gradually dispersing into the surrounding star field. While Messier 13 in Hercules is certainly engaging and gets more attention, I personally favor Messier 5. I have always found it a delightfully beautiful cluster that stimulates the senses in a visceral way.

I now headed back to the fray of my galaxy hunting. With Virgo sinking fast, I moved a little north to put a few more in the log. Turning to chart 32-right in the IDSA, I decided to work on a few more galaxies in the area southwest of Gamma Bootis (Seginus). So aiming at that star and consulting the chart, I began the final leg of this night’s journey.

NGC 5654 (Bootes, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.5’x1.0’, SBr=13.2):
I located this galaxy about 2° south of Seginus near a gentle curve of three field stars (9th, 10th and 11th mag). Easily picked up with 152x it presented a slightly bright small homogeneous oval. Viewing with 199x revealed a broadly brighter core area within the galactic disk. (New)

NGC 5675 (Bootes, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=2.8’x1.0’, SBr=13.7):
About half a degree east of the last object, I snagged this barred spiral. At 152x I found it a small elongated somewhat bright glow. Evenly illuminated initially, it revealed an intermittent stellar core at 199x. (New)

NGC 5656 (Bootes, spiral galaxy, mag=11.8, size=1.9’x1.5’, SBr=12.7):
Just over 1° south of NGC 5654 near a hook of five field stars ranging from 8th to 11th magnitude, I very easily spotted this fairly bright oval that was small and homogeneous. Observed with 199x it was quite obvious in the view, but still displayed a smooth evenly illuminated envelope. (New)

NGC 5590 (Bootes, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.3, size=1.8’x1.8’, SBr=13.3):
William Herschel discovered this lenticular in 1785 and it was observed twice by John Herschel. Unfortunately his second observation in 1827 had a position error that caused it to be added into the catalogue as NGC 5580. Picked up with 152x it presented a small and round somewhat bright homogeneous glow. Taking a look with 199x revealed a broad central brightness within the overall halo, with a very intermittent stellar core popping into view from time to time. (New)

NGC 5589 (Bootes, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.1’x1.1’, SBr=13.2):
The same duplication that occurred with the previous object also occurred with this one. Again John Herschel observed it twice after his father’s discovery in 1785, with one of those observations including a positional error which resulted in the object finding its way into the catalogue a second time as NGC 5588. This barred spiral was in the same field of view with NGC 5590. Viewed with both 152x and 199x, it presented a small and round homogeneous glow. Overall it was dim, though not particularly difficult. (New)

NGC 5623 (Bootes, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.6’x1.1’, SBr=12.9):
Just over 2° SSW of NGC 5656 I located this small but slightly bright oval glow. It exhibited an intermittent stellar core at 152x. Going up to 199x the galaxy was quite obvious within the field though the stellar core remained weakly apparent. (New)

NGC 5611 (Bootes, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.3’x0.6’, SBr=12.1):
Nudging slightly to the southwest, I easily located my next target. At 152x it presented a small and slightly bright thin sliver glow with an embedded stellar core. The galaxy was quite obvious at 199x and the stellar core was strongly present within its thin disk. (New)

NGC 5517 (Bootes, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.0x0.8’, SBr=13.3):
About 4° southwest of Seginus I centered the mag 4.8 star HD 125351 and easily spotted an east-west curved line of three stars about 43’ to its west. Just north of the western-most star in this line I picked up this lenticular after careful study of the field. Seen with 152x it was a very dim small thick oval and homogeneous dust bunny. The view at 199x was not much better as it was simply a weak little ghostly puff of light. (New)

NGC 5499 (Bootes, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.6, size=0.9’x0.6’, SBr=12.7):
My last object was this little knot of light about 28’ northwest of the previous object. Picked up with 152x it was nothing more than a dim and small diffuse oval. Using 199x did little for its visual presentation as it remained weak and evenly illuminated. (New)

By this time it was about 0130 hours and after around 3.5 hours I admit I was physically spent. That is a long stretch to be hunting galaxies, and while the skies continued to be clear and more galaxies could have been pursued, I know the more tired I became, the more challenging it would become. So sometimes it’s good to know your limits and stick within them! Thanks for following along if you made it this far, and I hope to see you out there again soon. Until then, keep looking up friends.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 04 June 2021 - tucked away in a corner of Virgo

Post by Ylem »

Wow 😳 !
You had a productive evening, great report and thorough write up.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Wow, Alan! What a wild, three hour or so ride! Reminds me of going to a small secluded place on a lake and finding sand bass or crappie swarming! :) If I counted right, there are 47 different descriptive entries in this adventure!

Thanks for taking me along! :text-thankyouyellow:
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Ylem wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:00 pm Wow 😳 !
You had a productive evening, great report and thorough write up.
Thank you Jeff. Indeed it was a fine outing that was contained to smaller areas which ramps up the productivity.

MistrBadgr wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:16 am Wow, Alan! What a wild, three hour or so ride! Reminds me of going to a small secluded place on a lake and finding sand bass or crappie swarming! :) If I counted right, there are 47 different descriptive entries in this adventure!

Thanks for taking me along! :text-thankyouyellow:
Thank you Bill. It was absolutely a great time. I like to limit my searching to smaller areas of the sky as it reduces the time consuming gross movements in terms of star hopping and I get to spend more time actually observing rather than zipping all over the sky. There were 48 new objects added to the log, but including those I'd already seen before, plus the one that got away, there were 53 observations for the evening. Not too bad for 3 hours and change.

It was indeed my pleasure to have you along with me while I searched in a little corner of Virgo. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Wow is right, Alan! That was quite the journey! I got tired just going through the list!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great haul of galaxies there Alan, well done! I share your sentiment that brighter globs are some of the most stunning DSOs out there. And they look nice in any aperture from 10x50 binos to larger DOBs. Too bad there are so few of them. But there are surely enough galaxies to keep us busy. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:53 am Wow is right, Alan! That was quite the journey! I got tired just going through the list!!

Dave
Thank you Dave. I admit, I get tired just writing it up as well! :lol: But the observing, after session research and compilation of my hand scribbled session notes are all a labor of love!
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:20 am Great haul of galaxies there Alan, well done! I share your sentiment that brighter globs are some of the most stunning DSOs out there. And they look nice in any aperture from 10x50 binos to larger DOBs. Too bad there are so few of them. But there are surely enough galaxies to keep us busy. :lol:
Thank you Andrey. As much as I adore galaxy hunting, the big splashy globs are indeed stupendous objects that are worthwhile at any aperture level as you say. I have found that in the large dob they take on a character unseen in even my 12 inch. It is almost beyond words sometimes.

There is no doubt that we have more galaxies within reach of our scopes than we can observe in a life time. But it sure is fun trying to see them all, isn't it? :)
Alan

Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

Alan.
A great report on your evening's activity.
A great read with the morning cup of tea here in the UK.
Thank you.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Very impressive haul!
Thanks for sharing!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great job with the extensive observations Alan and Congrats on winning the VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Peter802 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:34 am Alan.
A great report on your evening's activity.
A great read with the morning cup of tea here in the UK.
Thank you.
Thank you Peter, and glad you enjoyed my adventures with your tea this morning! :)

John Baars wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:12 pm Very impressive haul!
Thanks for sharing!
Thank you John. A heavy load of galaxies is always my idea of fun! :)

helicon wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:32 pm Great job with the extensive observations Alan and Congrats on winning the VROD for the day!
Thank you Michael. Always a pleasure to have such a good outing in pursuit of my favorite targets. :)
Alan

turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Thank you! You've been toiling! Impressive report!
Congratulations on the VROD!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:50 pm Thank you! You've been toiling! Impressive report!
Congratulations on the VROD!
Thank you Turbo. It was indeed a labor of love!

John Baars wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:05 pm Congratulations on the VROD!!
Thank you John.
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. You always have some of the best and informative observing reports. What a haul of NGC and some UGC objects too in Virgo and Bootes. Thanks for another fun read observing report Alan, and congratulations on winning the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:02 pm Hi Alan. You always have some of the best and informative observing reports. What a haul of NGC and some UGC objects too in Virgo and Bootes. Thanks for another fun read observing report Alan, and congratulations on winning the TSS VROD Award today.
Thank you Marshall, and I appreciate your kind comments. Hope all is well down there.
Alan

NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by NGC 1365 »

Impressive report Alan, thanks for sharing
Ivan
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Alan

Excellent report and congratulations on another VROD.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

NGC 1365 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:56 am Impressive report Alan, thanks for sharing
Thank you Ivan, appreciate you taking the time to wade through my report.
OzEclipse wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:33 am Alan

Excellent report and congratulations on another VROD.

Joe
Many thanks for taking the time to read of my adventure.
Alan