Private starparty - 29 of May

Let's see your reports!
Robko Netherlands
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Private starparty - 29 of May

Post by Robko »

I admit, its been a while. I think 3 years ago was the last time I looked through a telescope. When walking the dogs late in the evening the admiration is still there but a telescope....no
Last night al the signs where good so why not give it a go. Weapon of choice is the Classic Obsession 18". Eye pieces Nagler 5, 7, 13mm and a Vixen LVW22. Had to dust of a few things here and there and of course the collimation was a mess but after 20 minutes it was ready to go.
I live in the country as they say but biggest town is 15 KM away so not really great skies. I think Bortle 6. South and West is avoided because of city lights. Best directions to look at is North, East and Zenith. With Cygnus rising now after 02.00 a very thin milkyway is visible.

M57, always a treat. And what a site this is! Starting with the 22mm wich gives a nice overview with surrounding stars, great view! When putting in more power the ring it self becomes the star of the show. With the 7mm the outer parts of the ring gives away some fragile structure. The inside of the ring is hazy. Central star flips on and off and it is clearly visible that the ring is not round. OIII filter does not help in anyway.

M56. This cluster resolves nicely into a ball of stars. Not so dence as some well known clusters as M13 and M22

NGC 6210 in Hercules. When viewed directly with the 22mm the colour of this planetary appears blueish, with averted vision this effect disappears! With more magnification the object is not round and seems to have a fainter outer glow

M27. This thing is BIG! With the OIII filter the Dumbbell shows itself realy well, but I prefer the view without it. More background and surrounding stars visible. When using the 7mm Nagler the central star becomes visible as do three other stars wich shine directly through the nebula, never seen or noticed this before!(I think...)

Highlight of this night was a visit to the Veil nebula in Cygnus. It is quite difficult to describe the image one sees with this size telescope. When using the OIII filter you see lots of plumes and fragments but it's just too big to fit into view. I just folowed the nebula and its amazing how much detail you see. The NGC 6992 part is very nice, brighter then the Western Veil surrounding 52 Cygni. Pickerings Triangle shows quite a few filamentary things going on. OIII filter is defenitely a plus here.

After drying the finder scope and the secundary from dew for the second time I did a quick tour. You know, the things you show at a starparty. M13, M51, M92, that sort of stuff. But I noticed the sky becomming lighter and lighter because of the moon and above that, clouds comming in.

Thats it. I realy enjoyed this! Starhopping became rusty but for now, happy person! And good to hear that at least some barn owls survived winter overhere.

Things I learned: 1,I should do this more often and 2, perhabs some form of preparation would be helpfull....

greetings
scopes: Obsession 18" classic / Tak. Epsilon 160 / Tak. FS60c / Vixen FL55ss
mount; Gemini G41 field
camera: Nikon D810A
eyepieces: Nagler 5, 7, 13mm Vixen LVW 22
All stored in a small obervatory located 2 meters below (current) sea level
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Private starparty - 29 of May

Post by helicon »

Thank you for the great report Robko and Congratulations on winning the TSS Visual Report of the Day award!

app.php/article/5-30-2021-tss-visual-report-of-the-day
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Robko Netherlands
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Robko »

Wow! Thank you! Apreciated
scopes: Obsession 18" classic / Tak. Epsilon 160 / Tak. FS60c / Vixen FL55ss
mount; Gemini G41 field
camera: Nikon D810A
eyepieces: Nagler 5, 7, 13mm Vixen LVW 22
All stored in a small obervatory located 2 meters below (current) sea level
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Robko. This is a great observing report from you with the Obsession 18" and you grabbed several nice Messier objects. I hope your fun with starhopping has really got you ready for the next session again soon. Thanks for your fun read report Robko, and congratulations on winning the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Sounds like a good session Robko, congrats on VROD!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Nice session as a restart!
Thanks for your report and congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Robko,

Nice report and congratulations on the VROD.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)