Let's see your reports!
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

A Night in the City

Post by The Wave Catcher »

When I observe I take notes on my phone. Later, I research the objects that I’ve seen and add some details. I live in the city with about Bortle 8 skies but I still have fun. I sometimes setup a shield to block my neighbors that light up their children’s playhouse all night. I only have a small 102 mm, f/4.5 achromatic refractor on a manual alt/az Mount and an assortment of eyepieces. I also have a 60 mm aperture mask that I occasionally use that turns it into a nice apochromatic-like 60 mm, f/7.65 telescope. Below are the notes that I took last night.

2021-05-13
2010 - 0015 CDT (UTC -5)

Set up my telescope including my light shield wall. Scanned the skies while I waited for Arcturus to clear my roof. I then star hopped over to the Globular Cluster M3 using my Astro-Tech EP Paradigm 25 mm eyepiece. Once I found it I went to 12 and then 5 mm. M3 was easier to see at 5 mm with the aperture mask removed. I noted that I was able to see two adjacent stars, HIP 66770 at magnitude 10.20 and HIP 66891 at 10.55 with the 5 mm and no mask or the 12 mm with mask. At 12 mm the sky light pollution is of comparable brightness to the two stars.

While waiting for M5 to be in the clear, I hopped off to the tail Ursa Major to the diamond like star Alkaid (Eta Ursae Majoris, η Ursae Majoris). From Alkaid I went the the beautiful double star Mizar (ζ Ursae Majoris, Zeta Ursae Majoris) easily split with my 12 mm eyepiece. I switched to the 5 mm and saw that the star to the more southern declination had a slight yellow tint and was nearly twice as bright as the greener companion star (not the further companion Alcor). Though easier at 5 mm, the pair looked pretty through the 12 mm because they are brighter and the telescope’s star diffraction rings aren’t visible.

Went back to Arcturus (α Boötis) to star hop my way down to M5. On the way down through Boötis I made a stop on the double star 29 Boo A (π Boötis) I could split them clearly at 5 mm and while both were tinted blue, the more easterly star was slightly dimmer. I also stopped at the double star 30 Boo B (Zeta Boötis) though I could not split it, possibly due to the fact the pair are very near (2023) perigee in their 125 year orbit. I finally hopped through the scarcity of bright guide stars to M5’s location, right behind the corner of my house. Took a short break to wait for the earth to rotate.

I came back out after about 19 minutes and M5 had cleared my house. It was very obvious but not impressive given the poor transparency of the night and my Bortle 8 level light pollution. I was still impressed that I could see it at all 40 degrees directly above the Dallas-Fort Worth skyline.

The constellation Corona Borealis was rising above my roof so I swung my telescope over to the bright eclipsing binary star Alphecca (Alphekka, α CrB). Though pretty, I could not detect a companion star. Since their orbital period is only about 17 days I’m sure they are too close together to split. I hopped over to the double star θ Coronae Borealis (4 CrB B, Theta Coronae Borealis) and easily split the pair at 12 mm. I could not detect much color but the slightly fainter companion may have had a slight blue tint.

I swung the telescope back over to Bootes and to the double star Izar (Epsilon Boötis, ε Boötis). The star was yellowish red but I could not detect a companion. At 5 mm I don’t think I had enough contrast and dark sky to see the much fainter companion (I didn’t have my 2X Barlow lens out). However, (about ~2340 CDT) I was treated to a large, relatively dim, and slow moving spacecraft crossing my field of view that took considering considerable time (~1 s) to cross my high power field of view. I could even see some kind of structure in the satellite!

Hercules was now starting to rise above my house. I locked into to the star Kornephoros (Beta Herculis, β Herculis). From there I star hopped to the double star Zeta Herculis (ζ Her, ζ Herculis, 40 Her A). I could only discern one star. I then star hopped over to M13, The Great Cluster in Hercules. It was easily discernible in the 25 mm eyepiece. It was quite visible in the 5 mm though I still could not make out individual stars.

Star hopped down to the Globular Cluster M92 just as it was rising over my house. The cluster was still small even in the 5 mm eyepiece and not as bright as the others I’ve seen this evening.

At this point I decided to call it a night.

Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: A Night in the City

Post by Bigzmey »

What a nice session Steve! It shows that one can have fun even with a small scope under urban skies. Reminds me of my adventures with 80mm and 102mm fracs, which are also mostly limited to double star splitting.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

i love your scope curtain , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice! And only a few doubles gave you a splitting headache. :wink:
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Steve, and congrats on winning the TSS Visual Report of the Day award!

app.php/article/5-15-2021-tss-visual-report-of-the-day
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very nice and comforting session there Steve. Pursuing this hobby from severe light polluted areas with small aperture is a unique challenge, and I'd say you met it head on and successfully. Well done and congrats on your VROD!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Great report, Steve, and thanks for sharing!
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations on the VROD Steve!!

Great report!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

turboscrew wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:34 am Nice! And only a few doubles gave you a splitting headache. :wink:
😆
I see what you did there 😅
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Great report Steve, and congratulations 🎈🎉

I actually enjoy observing in more urban environments.
I known that may sound crazy to many folks.

It's the challenge that makes it fun, similar to using a smaller scope or binoculars when a larger scope is available.

One of my favourite observing places was on the roof of a NYC apartment building years ago.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Steve. I really enjoyed reading your fun read report and it shows what one can do and have an great time using a small refractor telescope even with city night light pollution. Thanks for sharing this observing report with us Steve, and congratulations on winning the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great observations from the city!
Similar objects from my location under similar circumstances. Always very satisfactory when you succeed. Catching M5 under those circumstances is quite an achievement for us city dwellers.
Epsilon Bootes needs a tad more. In my 102mm Mak 150X is enough to separate the little fellow from its bigger companion, At 100X I fail. I have a barlow ( with caps on) in my pocket most of the time...just in case. The shield is a good idea!
Thanks for your report.
Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.