Zoom Eyepiece For DSO

Let's see your reports!
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Zoom Eyepiece For DSO

Post by Refractordude »

Arrived at my dark site on May 10th to find that the property had been abandoned. The property is a very small apartment building that is great for stargazing at it's rear. I like the spot because there were people I could call on in case of an emergency. There was a person parked in the back, but clearly he was squatter. So I decided to find a another dark site in the area. Luckily I found a trailer park near my old spot. The park was dark enough with plenty of friendly residents. However, I will not be using the park again. I think it is best to join several astronomy clubs for my dark site observations.

I bagged a nice and long observation of M104/Sombrero galaxy first. After M104 I causally observed the night sky with my binoculars and three refactor telescopes on one mount. This was the first time I used my zoom eyepiece on DSO. Using the zoom eyepiece allowed me to find the best exit pupil, and sky background in seconds. I am thinking for galaxies I will use my zoom eyepiece exclusively. It is a budget zoom eyepiece, but it shows super sharp Moon crater edges. What do you all think about using a zoom eyepiece for galaxies?
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Zoom Eyepiece For DSO

Post by Bigzmey »

Joining local club with access to a dark site is a great idea. Last thing you want to do is to be alone in the middle of the night in some dark questionable spot.

As for zoom EP, why not? Just remember zooms will be somewhat behind fixed FL EPs of the same tier in terms of contrast and light transmission, so if you can't resolve a faint target with a zoom, try other EPs as well.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Good idea to use a club's dark sky location rather than just winging it. If you like using a zoom that is great, but Bigz is right in pointing out some of the challenges. I pretty much use my ES 18mm 82 degree eyepiece for galaxies in both dob and frac.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Forgot to mention the 120mm aperture vs the 150mm aperture shootout on M104. The 30mm of extra aperture makes a big difference.
Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Michael131313 »

Best of luck . Hope you can find another good dark site. I am kinda stuck were I am so I just have to deal with it.
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Sometimes its hit and miss finding a good dark site.

Regarding zooms, I am not particularly a fan. You know I am a hardcore galaxy chaser, and I had a Hyperion Mk-III several years ago. While it was convenient, I was not terribly impressed as compared to single focal length eyepieces I had at the time. One thing was the reduced AFOV and another was simply the quality of the view. Some folks talk about not having to switch out eyepieces like it is some huge inconvenience. I simply never saw that as a big deal as I can swap eyepieces and refocus quickly. I understand the allure of having multiple eyepieces in one unit, but there is always compromise somewhere when one does something like that. That said, I know many folks who swear by them and use them almost exclusively - I am just not one of them. Everyone's mileage may vary of course.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

The zoom eyepiece that I am using is very sharp. I was taken aback at the sharpness of Moon craters with my zoom eyepiece. I have three eyepieces in the mail to me. These three eyepieces are made for the Moon and planets. I will do a shootout with the four eyepieces, and a little write up of the differences in the four.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Since I have my zoom, I have sold most of my other wide-angle top eyepiecs, like several Naglers and a Pentax XW. Partly because I did not use them any more, partly to finance the Leica ASPH 17.8- 8.9 mm zoom eyepiece and a matching Zeiss barlow. They were very very expensive, so I had to sell several premium eyepieces. At these costs I consider it my last eyepiece upgrade. The Leica is one of the few that starts with 60 degrees and ends just under 80 degrees. Its transparency and contrast are unusual high. Naglers are significantly less transparent and contrasty. Orthoscopic images to the edge of the field, topped only by Pentax XO5.

For DSO's it is particular interesting. A faint galaxy that you normally do not see appears while zooming in the image field. Until you reach the optimal picture. Zooming even further makes it fade again. This means that you can get the most optimal picture under all given circumstances. A new way of searching DSO's!

I presume it is a very expensive way to find out that most DSO's are at their best with an exitpupil of 1 mm here in the city and 1.5-2mm from a dark location! So I think one premium eyepiece of moderate magnification is worth more than a budget zoom eyepiece.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

You are correct John, the Leica zoom is known to be in a much higher class of performance than the zoomers used by most. That said, they are not without detractors, as I've seen some who complain about edge of field brightening. One person who compared it to the Hyperion Mk-III sold the Leica and kept the Baader because he felt the Baader provided a darker background. Just goes to how we each see what we see, and we use what we find works best for us as individuals. That is as it should be. and for me presently, I will stick with my Ethoi and XWs for my galactic pursuits as they are what work best for me.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

kt4hx wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:16 pm (...) One person who compared it to the Hyperion Mk-III sold the Leica and kept the Baader because he felt the Baader provided a darker background. (...)
:D So the Leica was punished for its transparancy? :cry: :D

It is like you said:
kt4hx wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:16 pm Just goes to how we each see what we see, and we use what we find works best for us as individuals
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Refractordude wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:49 am The zoom eyepiece that I am using is very sharp. I was taken aback at the sharpness of Moon craters with my zoom eyepiece. I have three eyepieces in the mail to me. These three eyepieces are made for the Moon and planets. I will do a shootout with the four eyepieces, and a little write up of the differences in the four.
Moon and faint DSOs have different requirements. For Moon you just need sharpness, and less transmission is better since the Moon is too bright as it is.

For faint DSOs you need high transmission and contrast, and wide FOV is a plus. Budget zooms lack all three.

Useful rule of thumb is that zooms perform roughly at the same level as fixed FL EPs which are ~3x cheaper. So I would take my Baader Mark IV over Celestron X-Cel LX or Dual ED EPs, but it is not in the same class as TV Delite or Pentax XW which cost about the same as Mark IV.

Now, Leica zoom is ~$900, so I can see how it could perform at the same level as Pentax XW in particular in smaller scopes. I still suspect that Pentax XW would outperform it on very faint galaxies in large scopes. If someone can lend me Leica zoom I can do shoot out and report back. ;)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:49 pm
Refractordude wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:49 am The zoom eyepiece that I am using is very sharp. I was taken aback at the sharpness of Moon craters with my zoom eyepiece. I have three eyepieces in the mail to me. These three eyepieces are made for the Moon and planets. I will do a shootout with the four eyepieces, and a little write up of the differences in the four.
Moon and faint DSOs have different requirements. For Moon you just need sharpness, and less transmission is better since the Moon is too bright as it is.

For faint DSOs you need high transmission and contrast, and wide FOV is a plus. Budget zooms lack all three.

Useful rule of thumb is that zooms perform roughly at the same level as fixed FL EPs which are ~3x cheaper. So I would take my Baader Mark IV over Celestron X-Cel LX or Dual ED EPs, but it is not in the same class as TV Delite or Pentax XW which cost about the same as Mark IV.

Now, Leica zoom is ~$900, so I can see how it could perform at the same level as Pentax XW in particular in smaller scopes. I still suspect that Pentax XW would outperform it on very faint galaxies in large scopes. If someone can lend me Leica zoom I can do shoot out and report back. ;)
Agreed. These are useful generalizations that fit my experience as well.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The Leica ASPH is one of those pinnacle eyepieces that other eyepieces aspire to.
I recommended one to friend last year and once he received it he has been raving about it since.

The only two zooms I currently use are the TeleVue 3-6mm with constant 50° AFOV or the Antares Series 1 5-8mm zoom with more or less constant 80° AFOV.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:49 pm (...) (...)
I sold a 5mm PentaxXW after experimenting with the Leica.( in combination with a Zeiss barlow) On planets the XW has a warmer tone (quite nice on Jupiter), on DSO I saw no differences. To my surprise the Leica had a minor advantage on the faintest visible stars. Comfort of a Pentax XW is by large better, a warm bath, less / no dewing, less / no reflections of the eye into the first lens, better shielding of extraneous light.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congrats refractordude on receiving the TSS Visual Report of the Day award for today (5/16/2021) both for your observation and also for starting a useful conversation on observing with zoom eyepieces.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Refractordude. A very nice report on the use of zoom eyepieces for use in DSOs. I had several zoom lenses for my cameras in the past, but underestimated them for use in telescopes. Your success with M104 (Sombrero galaxy) has me rethinking this possibility for astronomy. Thanks for your information Refractordude, and congratulations on winning the TSS VROD Award.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!