May 8 - A Four Galaxy Night

Let's see your reports!
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

May 8 - A Four Galaxy Night

Post by Don Alvarez »

Its been over a year without a session, broken only by the impromptu outing to view the Christmas star. I was extremely gladdened to receive a communication from the Astronomy club that we had received permission from the park service to resume our activities and that there would be a outing to the dark site scheduled for May 8th. It wasn't much notice to get things ready, so I decided to forego to usual preparation and just wing it. I assembled a "light" kit consisting of the 10" dob, a case of Meade 5k UWA's and the Baader Orthos. A conscious decision was made to leave the camera at home and focus on visual observing only.

The sky did not look promising, but I was committed. I loaded up the gear and the wife and set out. We arrived at the dark site even with the setting of the sun, selected a spot and in the failing light unloaded and set up the gear. An unhealthy amount of bug repellant was applied. In short order, the gentleman who organizes these trek's prophecy about the cloud cover proved true and they began to clear out, taking some of the humidity with them. The wind gave way to a light breeze. I decided to begin in the western sky as it grew dark, since I did not formulate a game plan I traveled over some familiar ground. The Orion Nebula, before it disappeared from view. M47 and the Beehive Cluster. For the most part, I was happy to just wander through the Milky Way and observe the stars whose names I did not know.

Somewhere close to zenith I observed a flashing light, a white pulse every two seconds or so. After some minutes observation I deduced it to be (hopefully) a satellite in geostationary orbit, as my scope did not move to track it while I watched the background of stars crawl slowly by. I observed more than a few objects I took to be satellites throughout the evening, dim specks of pale light moving purposefully across the heavens.

By this time, a small cell to the southeast had developed into a full blown lightshow somewhere over Ft Lauderdale I suspect, some 30 miles or more distant. The lightning flashes would light up the eyepiece, so I too a break to observe the storm through my binoculars. White lightning lanced through mountains of cloud, illuminating them to an impressive degree, their force and frequency frighteningly spectacular. A jet passing extremely close to the tempest could not have contained very comfortable passengers.

Well into the second hour the wife had retreated underneath her hoodie, which she turned backwards and draped over herself. The fabric could not entirely conceal the dancing lights of what I am sure was some form of Candy Crush or other. Around this time I swung the maw of The Beast around to the north, and had not made two passes when suddenly my view lighted upon two shapes I immediately recognized as galaxies. Impossible. I had looked around Ursa Major many times from my back yard in Jersey only to repeatedly come up empty. Yet now, by complete serendipitous happenstance, were two unmistakable diaphanous entities. Unfortunately, the tablet I usually use that has Sky Safari installed was left at home, I was trying to verify my discovery on my cell phone, whose software was completely refusing to cooperate, when one of the gentlemen who was imaging on the far side of the parking lot happened by. I asked him if wished to take a look and he confirmed for me I had indeed found M81 and M82. The former, a pale spiral with the distinct core and arm structure almost discernable through averted vision. The latter, an elongated grey smudge. I observed for a good long while and marveled at how obvious they stood out, and thought either the combination of the scope and 24mm UWA were performing exceptionally well tonight, or in previous attempts was either foiled by too much skyglow or just by missing the mark badly.

Upon the gentleman's suggestion (I'm sorry I'd forgotten his name) I decided to make a try for M51, and after several attempts, found. This was a more difficult target, the surface brightness did not appear so great as M81 or 82, I suspect due to its face-on disposition, and perhaps partly because it is situated further east towards the direction of the light dome towards the coast, or both. Yet there it was, it and its companion galaxy two featureless grey blobs cozying up to each other.

I was felling pretty good by this time, having knocked down three targets that have eluded me for a while I decided to try for a fourth before calling it a night. The storm having moved off a bit, I swung around again to the south-southeast and targeted the Sombrero galaxy. My starhop path and drop was right on and I found it immediately. The bright core and harsh line of it's dust lanes were apparent using an 18mm BCO. Not sure why, but throughout the evening I did not try for greater magnification than this. I didn't feel I needed to.

I felt extremely happy and accomplished packing up, or as much as one could be policing up everything in the dark so as not to disturb the people imaging across the parking lot. Still, I did well, my efforts marred only by the accidental opening of the truck's tonneau cover while I had my flashlights and keys on top of it. They slide down in between the cab and the bed, and luckily all they way to the ground. I said goodnight to the others at hand, and drove the 45 minutes or so home with a felling of extreme satisfaction.

That is, until I got home. After unloading everything, dipping my hand into my back pocket as is habit and reaching for my cell phone, I found the pocket empty. A quick search of the truck cab also failed to turn it up. I asked my wife if she had it. Negative. I turned everything upside down to no avail, searched my memory intensely but could only come up with one answer: It had to have been on the tonneau cover when I opened it. That meant one of three things. Either it slid off like my keys and got lodged between the cab and the bed and is sitting there, or it fell to the ground and landed where I did not see, or it got caught between the cab and the bed and slipped out somewhere on the drive home. Only one way to find out. Forty five minutes later, sometime after 1AM we arrived back at the lot. Two people were still there, imagers going. Luckily, there in the spot where I had parked, was my phone. Face down, black case, no wonder I did not see it. I jammed it in the cupholder and sped off back home, mulling over in my mind how too much of our lives seem to be connected to these ridiculous devices, and not more to everything around us.
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: May 8 - A Four Galaxy Night

Post by Graeme1858 »

A fine four fuzzie find!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Nice to get a night out. Thanks for sharing the fine experience. Glad you recovered the phone.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Nice report, thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on successful hunt Don! Your great report brought back fun memories on catching first few galaxies myself.
I hope you will have more opportunities to observe this summer.

You came well prepared, Meade 5k UWA's and the Baader Orthos are great EPs for galaxy hunting.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

Good one, Don!
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Good one Don.
Satisfying to find them for yourself.

One suggestion which you may already be doing.

If you have to use the astro app, make sure you have the astro app on your phone set to night vision red and dim the screen.

Use the fingerprint ID to activate the phone and the app inside your pocket before looking at it so that you never have to look at a white screen. The white light start up screen will kill your night vision which can take a long time to recover - 30 mins.

Cheers
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Don and congrats on having it selected as the TSS Visual Report of the Day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

OzEclipse wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:50 am Good one Don.
Satisfying to find them for yourself.

One suggestion which you may already be doing.

If you have to use the astro app, make sure you have the astro app on your phone set to night vision red and dim the screen.

Use the fingerprint ID to activate the phone and the app inside your pocket before looking at it so that you never have to look at a white screen. The white light start up screen will kill your night vision which can take a long time to recover - 30 mins.

Cheers
Joe
That's a good idea Oz I may give that a try. I try to turn the screen away when I do this, unfortunately though I'm finding the red night view extremely difficult to read on my phone, and sometimes I have to use the regular view and just turn the brightness way down.
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Great report Don!!
Congratulations on the VROD!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:17 pm Congrats on successful hunt Don! Your great report brought back fun memories on catching first few galaxies myself.
I hope you will have more opportunities to observe this summer.

You came well prepared, Meade 5k UWA's and the Baader Orthos are great EPs for galaxy hunting.
The 24mm UWA always impresses me as a wide field EP. Maybe one day I'll get my hands on an old 30-mil.

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Nice report Don, congrats on the VROD. Phones at one time a method of communication, now one of subjugation. :geek:
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Don. A very nice report on the "fab four" galaxies from you here. Thanks for your well written and fun read report Don, and I am glad that were able to recover your cell phone too. Also, congratulations on winning the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice report, and congrats on the VROD!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I didn't mention the lost cell phone...but that was great that you were able to retrieve it with no problems.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N