Observing Report for 01 May 2021 - adventures in globular and galaxy hunting

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 01 May 2021 - adventures in globular and galaxy hunting

Post by kt4hx »

Finally a decent forecast without the moon present! With that in mind, we headed over to the dark site to overnight Saturday night and return home on Sunday. The moon was not totally absent of course, but it was not schedule to rise until about 0142 hours Sunday morning. The transparency was at least average though seeing was slated to be poor. But with clear skies I was willing to take on whatever it threw at me.

Astronomical dark was scheduled for about 2151 hours, so I rolled the big dob out about 2030 hours, set up my gear and the light screen I use to block traffic lights coming down the road past our house. It was by this time around 2115 and with the major stars already visible I aligned the 8x50 RACI and Rigel Quikfinder with the dob using Arcturus. Doing another last minute collimation check, it was getting to about 2130 hours and dark enough for me to begin my journey.

My first targets, while the sky was still darkening and my eyes adjusting, was to be the northern globular clusters featured in the May edition of the TSS Monthly DSO Challenge (link: viewforum.php?f=81). These would be a good way to get myself acclimated to the sky in preparation for my normal galaxy hunting activities. So off I went to Canes Venatici for my first target of the evening, Messier 3, a spectacular example of this type of deep sky object. So let’s get started on my evening dance around the maypole! :)

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 21mm (94x, 1.1° TFOV, 4.7mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

(Treasure found)

Messier 3 / NGC (Canes Venatici, globular cluster, mag=6.3, size=18.0’, SBr=12.3, class=6):
Already knowing the cluster is located almost halfway between Arcturus (Alpha Bootis) and Cor Caroli (Alpha Canum Venaticorum) I aimed the scope using the Rigel. Moving to the RACI the cluster was easily visible as a tiny diffuse spot not too far off the cross-hairs in the view. So centering it, I moved to the Ethos 21mm (94x) and my eyes were treated to a beautiful sight. Bright and large, the cluster appeared slightly out of round to the eye. A large number of stars were resolved in its halo, as well as across the face of the disk. The core was a bright hazy glow providing a backdrop for the stars that were resolved.

Dropping in the Ethos 13mm (152x) it was a grand visual treat. Not quite symmetrically round in shape, it was a huge glowing ball of stars, with countless resolved at its fringes into the core area. The core itself was an intensely bright glow that underpinned the whole visual experience. I noticed several strings of stars emanating from the cluster’s body. In particular I noticed one curving flow coming off the northern side and turning to the northeast. Another string of stars of which I took note of was one that was thicker closer to the core and thinned out as it strung out to the east. This cluster is a perennial favorite, and it is easy to see why. Give it a try yourself and enjoy the view!

NGC 5466 (Bootes, globular cluster, mag=9.0, size=9.2, SBr=13.7, class=12):
A short 5° star hop to the east of M3 is this more challenging globular. Easily passed over if you are not looking for it, its lack of any significant core concentration means its light is spread out evenly across the disk, reducing its visibility. I easily spotted it at 94x as a large ghostly orb lacking any concentration of brightness across its face. As the weak seeing was changing, various member stars would pop in and out of view across the disk, with a persistent hazy backdrop of the unresolved constituency. Viewed at 152x it presented a large and subtly bright ball that seemed a little ragged around the edges. Countless stars were again popping in and out of view across the disk with the constant backdrop of a hazy glow. I did notice a strand of dim stars flowing from the northeast side and wrapping around to the south. While not a showpiece, its eerie appearance is nonetheless attractive and curious.

Messier 53 / NGC (Coma Berenices, globular cluster, mag=7.7, size=13.0, SBr-13.0, class=5):
Next up was this nice cluster about 57’ northeast of Alpha Comae (Diadem). The cluster was just picked up in the RACI finder and of course quickly found using 94x. It presented a large and bright round glow with a very intense core blazing at its center. The core was tight, but numerous stars were resolved in its outer halo and across the face. Viewed with 152x it was a real showpiece. Large and bright within the field, its core was exceedingly strong, with its well resolved halo extending outward. I noticed about three or four short chains of stars trickling outward from the core into the halo. While not the rival of M3, it still holds up well visually and is well placed near a bright star.

NGC 5053 (Coma Berenices, globular cluster, mag=9.0, size=10.0’, SBr=13.7, class=11):
As NGC 5466 was the antithesis to M3, so too is this globular to M53. Nearly 58’ southeast of M53, it is another one that must be specifically targeted or it will be easily passed over. As a class 11 cluster, it lacks any significant core concentration, which lowers its surface brightness. Thus it suffers greatly from the impact of light pollution, struggling to push through the sky glow. But from our dark site, it was easily seen at 94x, though admittedly it was merely a smallish diffuse dusting against the black sky. Perhaps 10 stars were resolved across its disk. Moving up to 152x, it remained a low surface brightness round glow. I picked up about 20 stars that drifted in and out of view across its disk, but its dominant characteristic was its low surface brightness hazy glow. This one presents a ghostly ethereal personality in the eyepiece, diaphanous and delicate.

NGC 4147 (Coma Berenices, globular cluster, mag=10.4, size=4.4’, SBr-13.4, class=6):
The final of three globulars in this constellation, is a small little thing. Found almost 6.5° northwest of Denebola (Beta Leonis), using 94x it displayed a tiny concentrated brightness in the core, with perhaps four or five stars resolved in its outer fringes. When viewing with 152x and even 199x, it was bright but quite small visually. Upwards of 10 stars were being seen in its outer halo and across its face. Interestingly, my last observation was from our typical suburban backyard about eight years ago with my 10 inch. In that case, it did not appear clearly as a globular cluster, but brought to mind a small elliptical galaxy as no stars were resolved. This one is challenging because of the combination of its visual magnitude and its small angular size.

WBL-374 (Coma Berenices, galaxy cluster, # of members=19, size=40.0’~):
This cluster comes from a paper entitled The Catalog of Nearby Poor Clusters of Galaxies by White, Bliton, Bhavsar, Bornmann, Burns, Ledlow and Loken (1999). The paper introduces “a catalog of 732 optically selected, nearby poor clusters of galaxies covering the entire sky north of −3° declination.” There is some cross-over with Abell clusters, Hickson groups, Cfa (Center for Astrophysics) and Yerkes catalogues. While the number of galaxies listed in the data comes from the paper, I had to estimate the angular size of the group using Sky Tools 3 (ST3). I located the cluster field using a chart I’d prepared in ST3 as well as charts in Interstellarum and Uranometria, which display several of the member galaxies. Orienting myself to the layout of the small glows I was picking up at 94x, I immediately went to 152x for the purposes of identification and observation.

NGC 4076 (Coma Berenices, spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.9’x-0.8’, SBr=12.8):
Designated as WBL 374-010 within the cluster group, this face-on spiral lies at the southern part of the cluster field. Observed with both 152x and 199x it presented a small out of round homogenous glow. Overall it was slightly bright to my eye despite the presence of the star within the field. (New)

NGC 4065 (Coma Berenices, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.1’x1.0’, SBr=12.7):
Carrying a duplicate identifier of NGC 4057, this small round glow shared the field with NGC 4061about 1’ to its west. This was the brightest of the pair, though not significantly so. Slightly bright and small to the eye, this elliptical was evenly illuminated, but displayed a stellar core when I moved to 199x. The cluster designation is WBL 374-006. (New)

NGC 4061 (Coma Berenices, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.2’x0.9’, SBr=12.9):
Also carrying a duplicate catalogue number, NGC 4055, this second elliptical was adjacent to NGC 4065 to the west. Similarly it was also slightly bright and small in angular extent. It too was homogeneous at 152x, but revealed a stellar core at 199x. This round dust bunny was just slightly dimmer than its neighbor, but not by much. The cluster designation is WBL 374-003. (New)

NGC 4066 (Coma Berenices, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.2’x1.2’, SBr=13.0):
Just over 7’ north of the close pair of elliptical galaxies just described, I also picked up this little round cotton ball. Small and slightly bright seemed to be the theme at this point and this one also fell into that slot. However, it remained homogeneous at both 152x and 199x. The cluster designation is WBL 374-007. (New)

NGC 4070 (Coma Berenices, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.0’x1.0’, SBr=13.1):
Not quite 4’ further north I noticed, you guessed it, another small and slightly bright elliptical. However, this dust bunny displayed what appeared to be a stellar core at 152x. Using 199x it seemed to be subtly off-set and later I found there is a foreground star of magnitude 8.6 imposed on the disk that was likely what I initially thought was a stellar core. The cluster designation is WBL 374-008. (New)

NGC 4060 (Coma Berenices, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.6, size=0.5’x0.3’, SBr=12.3):
Southwest of NGC 4066 I worked hard to pick up a couple of very dim members. Using magnifications ranging from 152x up to 283x, I caught fleeting glimpses of a small, slightly elongated diffuse glow. This impression was suspected at 199x intermittently and confirmed at 283x, though it was not held steadily due to shifting conditions. This was quite tough to pull out. The cluster designation is WBL 374-004. (New)

NGC 4056 (Coma Berenices, compact galaxy, mag=15.5, size=0.5’x0.5’, SBr=13.7):
In the same field as the previous object, I also tried to pull out this even fainter compact galaxy. This object is not actually a member of WBL-374 as it is too dim to fit the parameters of the study. But since it was there, I tried. I felt I was seeing something at a few instances at 283x, but I suspect that was more a case of averted imagination and wishful thinking. Based on the extremely tenuous impression I was getting, I discounted the observation and it did not go into the log. After the fact I looked at Steve Gottlieb’s notes for this object and noticed that it was difficult for him in a 24 inch, so that reinforced my skepticism. So count that one as a swing and a miss, but that is okay because we never know if we don’t try.

NGC 4074 (Coma Berenices, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.5, size=1.0’x0.6’, SBr=13.7):
Now back to actual cluster members, this one is recorded as WBL 374-011. I spotted it 5’ southeast of NGC 4066, with a mag 13.0 field star between them. At 152x it was a very small and pretty dim oval. While more obvious at 199x it remained weak, though an intermittent stellar core did show itself. (New)

NGC 4086 (Coma Berenices, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.0’x0.9’, SBr=13.4):
Nudging slightly more southeast I picked up a mag 8.8 field star, then directed my attention about 6’ ENE to this lenticular. Its designation within the cluster is WBL 374-012. I found it small and dim at 152x, ever so slightly oval in shape and generally homogeneous. Using 199x I picked up an intermittent stellar core popping in and out of view. (New)

NGC 4090 (Coma Berenices, spiral galaxy, mag=13.9, size=1.2’x0.5’, SBr=13.1):
North of the previous object and carrying a cluster designation of WBL 374-013, I noticed this soft elongated glow within the field. Small and dim, it presented an intermittent stellar core at 199x as well. (New)

PGC 38278 (Coma Berenices, spiral galaxy, mag=15.5, size=0.5’x0.2’, SBr=12.7):
Here we have another case of averted imagination and wishful thinking conspiring to try and trick me with another non-member of the cluster. This object is immediately west of NGC 4090 on my chart, but observing with 152x up to 283x, things were at best very, very tenuous. There were moments I “thought” I picked up a very dim and very small mote of diffuse light. However, give the angular size, weak magnitude that I calculated out to around 15.5, and the troubled seeing conditions, I just was not comfortable claiming victory here (as with NGC 4056) and thus it was not placed into the log. Again, a learning experience, but another swing and a miss – but I tried!

NGC 4098 (Coma Berenices, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.1’x0.6’, SBr=13.0):
Nudging NNE about 15’ from NGC 4090, I encountered the last sub-grouping of galaxies within the cluster. Also catalogued as NGC 4099, it carries a designation of WBL 374-009 within the group and is the northernmost of the six within this section. This disturbed spiral presented as small and slightly dim with a stellar core at both 152x and 199x. There is supposed to be an extremely dim companion galaxy (mag 15.8) involved with NGC 4098, but of course it was not seen. (New)

NGC 4095 (Coma Berenices, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.5, size=0.9’x0.9’, SBr=13.0):
About 3’ southwest of the previous object and in the same field was this slightly dim and round mote. Observed with both 152x and 199x it presented a stellar core within the disk. Its cluster designation is WBL 374-018. (New)

NGC 4093 (Coma Berenices, compact galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.8’x0.7’, SBr=13.2):
Next in this group was the small and round dim glow of this compact galaxy. Known within the cluster as WBL 374-017, it displayed a stellar core at 152x and 199x. However, I suspect this was a foreground 10th mag star imposed very near the center of the galactic disk. (New)

NGC 4092 (Coma Berenices, spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.1’x1.1’, SBr=13.0):
Nearly 3’ south of the previous object was this small and slightly dim round glow with a 12th mag field star just off its northwestern edge. Generally homogeneous at 152x, a stellar core was seen at 199x. Its cluster designation is WBL 374-018. (New)

NGC 4089 (Coma Berenices, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.7, size=0.8’x0.8’, SBr=13.0):
The previous four cluster members formed a subtle curve of galaxies north to south, with this member and the following object sat slightly separated about 3’ to the west of the mid-point of this curve. This elliptical was round visually and slightly dim to the eye. It presented a stellar core at both 152x and 199x, and carries the designation of WBL 374-014 within the cluster. (New)

NGC 4091 (Coma Berenices, galaxy, mag=14.0, size=1.0’x0.4’, SBr=12.7):
The final cluster member I observed is WBL 374-015, immediately east of the previous object. The two disks were nearly in contact visually. This elongated strip of slightly dim light was small in visual extent and evenly illuminated across its envelope. The two made an interesting contrast packed so closely together with very distinctly different shapes. (New)

After finishing up with the WBL 374 cluster, the sky had shifted enough that Messier 68, the northernmost globular in this month’s TSS Monthly DSO Challenge, had moved out from the tree at the southern end of our property. So I swung the scope there for a quick look before proceeding on with my galaxy hunting.

Messier 68 / NGC (Hydra, globular cluster, mag=7.3, size=11.0’, SBr=12.2, class=10):
Turning to chart 81-right in the IDSA, I star hopped about 3.5° southeast of Beta Corvi (Kraz). The cluster was easily found lying next to a triangle of three field stars (two of 8th and one of 9th mag). With 94x it presented a bright and slightly small irregularly round glow. A few stars drifted in and out across its disk, which displayed a modest central brightness. Viewed with 152x perhaps a dozen stars were now seen overlaying a slightly dense core brightness and general haziness of the cluster’s unresolved members.

Alessi J1309.4-2338 (Hydra, asterism, brightest star=4.9, size=90.0’):
Since I was in the area, I noticed in the IDSA (chart 81-left) that this previously observed asterism (80mm refractor) contained a small grouping of galaxies within its field, so I returned here to pursue the deeper treats it harbored. The asterism was very apparent in the 8x50 RACI and at 94x in the 21mm Ethos it was a bright cascade of stars south from mag 4.9 Psi Hydrae, which reminded me vaguely of Kemble’s Cascade in Camelopardalis. There were about 20 or brighter stars involved with numerous fainter background stars.

NGC 4993 (Hydra, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.4, size=1.3’x1.1’, SBr=12.5):
About 19’ southeast of Psi Hydrae I easily spotted this small and somewhat bright rounded glow using 94x. Homogeneous to the eye, it was just northwest of an 8th magnitude member of the asterism in the eastern part of the stellar grouping. Viewed at 152x it was obvious within the field and remained evenly illuminated. (New)

IC 4197 (Hydra, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.4, size=1.4’x0.9’, SBr=12.4):
In the western part of the asterism there was a gentle curve of three stars (one of 7th and two of 8th mag), and this is where I located this small glow. Just over 8’ west of the southernmost star in this arc, I observed it with both 152x and 199x it presented a subtly bright oval that was homogeneous in appearance. (New)

NGC 4970 (Hydra, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.2, size=1.8’x1.0’, SBr=12.6):
This slightly bright oval was spotted about 14.5’ SSW of the previous object. It was diffuse and evenly illuminated at both 152x and 199x. (New)

IC 4180 (Hydra, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.7, size=0.9’x0.7’, SBr=11.9):
Next up was this little dust bunny about 10’ northwest of NGC 4970. At 152x it appeared as a slightly dim out of round glow. Viewed with 199x it revealed an intermittent stellar core within. (New)

NGC 4968 (Hydra, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.9’x0.9’, SBr=13.1):
The final galaxy plotted within the asterism’s field was picked up 14.5’ north of the previous object. Appearing as a thin oval, it was homogeneous to the eye at both 152x and 199x. I noticed it was the dimmest of the five in this little grouping, though it was not difficult in the least. (New)

Messier 83 / NGC 5236 (Hydra, barred spiral galaxy, mag=7.5, size=12.9’x11.5’, SBr=12.7):
Again, while in the area and since it had been quite a while that I’d last visited this nice galaxy; I decided to swing by for a quick look. Still on chart 81-left, I swept about 8.5° southeast from the previous field, I quickly located this behemoth next to a triangle of three stars (two of 7th and one of 5th mag). With 94x it presented a very large and bright diaphanous glow that was slightly out of round. Its disk was very diffuse in nature and unevenly illuminated across its face. The core was extremely bright and concentrated within the galaxy’s structure. Dropping in the 13mm (152x), the galaxy was huge in the field and dappled with variations of light and dark as the eye moved over its disk. In a few minutes I could begin to discern the presence of spiral structure as I could discern the transition from the central bar out to where the spiral arms wrapped around, separated by the dark lanes in between. This sensation was not blatantly obvious, but very subtle and ghostly, as if a veil were between me and the galaxy to make the appearance more elusive. All in all, this made for a very beautiful and riveting visual experience.

NGC 5102 (Centaurus, lenticular galaxy, mag=9.6, size=8.6’x2.7’, SBr=12.8):
Over 7.5° SSW of Messier 83 I could easily see mag 2.7 Iota Centauri and I decided to take a dip toward the southern horizon to revisit this old friend, known colloquially as Iota’s Ghost. Viewed with 152x it displayed its typical flat and thin disk. It was in the glare field of Iota, but not significantly impacted. Rather it was more hurt by its low elevation from my site, which was around 14°. So the atmospheric extinction and poor seeing were taking its toll. Regardless it was still bright and readily apparent, displaying an intense broadly brighter core.

It was now approaching midnight and time to head back north where the extinction was less and the seeing more stable, before the moon reared its bright head later on. So I now swung up to Leo Minor to rake in some new ones in the little lion. I have observed a few galaxies in this constellation, but that was mostly from our light polluted back yard with the 10 or 12 inch. So I wanted to work on some more of the numerous galaxies that litter this small constellation. I turned the IDSA to chart 34-right and then aimed the scope at 46 Leonis Minoris to begin my foray.

NGC 3430 (Leo Minor, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.6, size=4.1’x2.2’, SBr=13.7):
The first of a small grouping of galaxies just west of a wide pair of 7th mag field stars. Observed at 94x to 199x, it presented a slightly small oval that was evenly illuminated across its disk. It was bright and readily apparent in the field. (New)

NGC 3424 (Leo Minor, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.4, size=2.7’x0.8’, SBr=13.0):
About 6’ southwest of the previous object and in the same field, I also picked up this small and somewhat bright thinner oval. It too remained homogeneous at 94x to 199x. (New)

NGC 3413 (Leo Minor, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.2, size=1.8’x0.8’, SBr=12.3):
Almost 10’ southwest of the last object, and in the same field as the previous pair, I also spotted this lenticular. Like the other two it remained homogeneous at 94x to 199x. It presented a thicker oval that was small in angular extent but somewhat bright to the eye. (New)

NGC 3395 (Leo Minor, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.1, size=2.1’x1.1’, SBr=12.7):
NGC 3396 (Leo Minor, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.0, size=2.9’x1.2’, SBr=13.1):

This previous observed pair lay about 19.5’ west of the previous three, and together the duo are catalogued as ARP 270. At 94x I could see there were two distinct ovals nearly in contact. The two disks formed a right angle and were similar in apparent brightness. Both remained homogeneous even at 199x. They formed a nice pair and something I haven’t observed in about eight years. Somehow I had overlooked the triplet to their east however.

NGC 3381 (Leo Minor, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.8, size=2.0’x1.8’, SBr=12.9):
Moving back to 46 LMi, I found this galaxy just over 1° to its northwest. At 94x it presented a small and round slightly bright orb. Looking with 152x it remained small but its center now exhibited a broader brightness within the overall halo. Then at 199x it was quite obvious in the field and somewhat bright, and though small its core still showed a prominent broad brightness. (New)

NGC 3334 (Leo Minor, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.1’x1.0’, SBr=12.7):
Nudging nearly 3° northwest in the direction of 38 LMi (mag 5.8), I located a small boxy grouping of stars and this galaxy at its northwest corner. Found with 94x it was a small and round slightly dim mote displaying an intermittent stellar core. Also observed with 152x and 199x, its stellar core was more obvious and the galaxy disk was more apparent as well. (New)

NGC 3380 (Leo Minor, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.6’x1.4’, SBr=13.1):
Shifting south again, I located first 42 then 43 LMi (mag 5.4 and 6.2 respectively. Then 50’ SSW of 43 LMi I found this barred spiral. With 94x I found it slightly bright and small. Rounded in shape, it displayed a non-stellar concentrated core brightness. Also observed with 152x and 199x, it was an obvious presence in the field, small and round, exhibiting a broadly brighter core. (New)

NGC 3254 (Leo Minor, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.7, size=4.5’x1.4’, SBr=13.4):
Just over 4° WNW of the previous object, just south of mag 6.6 HD 90717 I pulled down this nearly edge-on barred spiral. At 94x it was small, but somewhat bright. A thin sliver, it was slightly thicker in the minor axis at the core indicating a central bulge. The core itself exhibited a broadly brighter presence. Viewed with 152x it was very obvious and thin, still showing a very strong broad brightness within its core area. (New)

NGC 3126 (Leo Minor, spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=2.8’x0.6’, SBr=13.1):
I next nudged to the northwest about 3° 45’ to the asterism Harrington 6, informally known as the “Sailboat.” Just over 1° I centered the mag 6.2 field star HD 87822, and quickly found my final galaxy in Leo Minor before heading back to the Coma-Leo area to wrap up. Picked up at 94x, it presented a small and dim thin homogeneous finger of cotton. With 152x I was now detecting a small uptick in central brightness. This brightness became a stellar core at 199x, but overall the galaxy remained small and dim. (New)

By going to Leo Minor I was killing some time waiting for Coma Berenices to move a bit west so I didn’t have to stand on a step stool to reach the eyepiece. I wanted to visit another clump of galaxies which would be my last stop of the evening. I could tell the sky was starting to brighten a little to the east as the moon edged closer to the horizon plus the winds were kicking up and seeing was starting to drop off even more.

WBL-368 (Leo-Coma, galaxy cluster, # of galaxies=13, size=28.0’~):
My swan song for the evening would be another of the WBL galaxy clusters. This one straddles the Leo-Coma border just over 3° WSW of the mag 5.7 star 4 Comae. My goal was to sweep up as many of its members as I could before the brightening sky and my own fatigue put an end to the fun! After locating the field with 94x and seeing a few soft glows, I used 152x and 199x again for identification and observation.

NGC 4005 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.2’x0.7’, SBr=12.6):
Also catalogued as NGC 4007, this spiral, on the Leo side of the line, has a cluster designation of WBL 368-007, First spotted with 94x it was a bit weak southeast of an 8th mag field star. It was easier at 152x as a dim small oval lying southeast of an 8th mag field star. It remained evenly illuminated even at 199x, and while dim was still obvious within the view. The mag 14.5 galaxy NGC 4000, which is about 3’ northwest of this spiral, was not detected. (New)

NGC 4015 (Coma Berenices, galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.4’x1.4’, SBr=13.7):
About 9’ southeast of the previous object, it was picked up at 94x as a small and dim round homogenous glow. When I moved up to 152x its core became stellar in appearance and even though it remained dim at 199x, it was still obvious within the field. This galaxy also has a mag 14.8 companion, PGC 37703, and the pair are designated ARP 138. However, this weaker partner was not seen. Within the cluster, NGC 4015 is identified as WBL 368-010. The mag 14.7 galaxy NGC 4011, which lay between NGC 4005 and 4015 was not detected. (New)

NGC 4023 (Coma Berenices, spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=0.9’x0.7’, SBr=12.9):
A touch over 5’ northeast of the last object I spotted this fairly dim rounded glow using 94x. Viewed with 152x and 199x it remained evenly illuminated across its disk, and easily seen within the field. Its cluster designation is WBL 368-013. (New)

NGC 3987 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.9, size=2.2’x0.4’, SBr=12.5):
Moving back across into Leo about 11’ northwest of NGC 4005, I spotted a string of three galaxies to wrap up the session. Starting with 152x this dim elongated glow was small and homogenous in appearance. Observed at 199x and 283x it remained very diffuse and dim. Its identifier within the cluster is WBL 368-001. (New)

NGC 3993 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.6’x0.4’, SBr=13.0):
Next in line was this spiral, known as WBL 368-003 within the cluster. Like the previous object it was thin and homogeneous when viewed at 152x to 283x. It was obviously dimmer than NGC 3987, but still not difficult. The mag 14.9 galaxy NGC 3989 lay about halfway between the previous pair of galaxies, and slightly west of a line between them, however it was not seen. (New)

NGC 3997 (Leo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.6’x0.7’, SBr=13.4):
The last one of the trio was this dim oval. Small in size, it was thicker in minor axis than the previous object. It was positioned between a pair of 12th magnitude field stars, which had no impact on its visibility. It remained a dim homogeneous oval at 199x and 283x, though again, not difficult. Its cluster designation is WBL 368-004. (New)

And thus it ended, just past 0130 hours. I was starting to have some difficulty in picking up some of the galaxies in the brightening sky, plus my own tiredness was starting to impair my concentration. So that told me the better part of valor was to call it a night. But it was an interesting session, with some of the old, as well as some of the new. I enjoyed taking a look at some old friends with the big scope. Their visual presentation changes as aperture increases. As well, I enjoyed going after a couple of the WBL galaxy clusters, of which I had just recently become aware. I thank you for following along, and I hope to see you back out there again soon. Keep looking up friends!
Last edited by kt4hx on Thu May 06, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changes to title
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 01 May 2021 - celebrating May Day my way!

Post by NGC 1365 »

Wow, that's some observing session Alan, you covered quite a lot of objects, interesting info about the WBL galaxy clusters, sounds like you had a great night.Thanks for taking us along on your journey.
Ivan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

NGC 1365 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:35 pm Wow, that's some observing session Alan, you covered quite a lot of objects, interesting info about the WBL galaxy clusters, sounds like you had a great night.Thanks for taking us along on your journey.
Thank you Ivan, and it was my pleasure to have you along for the ride. If you wish to learn more about the WBL clusters, here is a link to the original paper, plus an Excel spreadsheet of the clusters.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/9907283.pdf
WBL galaxy cluster list.xlsx
(71.71 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Certainly another epic May Day ballet!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:12 pm Certainly another epic May Day ballet!
Thanks nFA, I appreciate you stopping by to read along. :)
Alan

MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Thanks, Alan! :)

When you were writing about that first dim galaxy group, I was imagining going through a dark forest and quietly looking for different species of little birds flitting through the underbrush and you were carefully and quietly looking for their different plumage as they did their little bird things.

I appreciate you sharing your adventure with me!
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

MistrBadgr wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 pm Thanks, Alan! :)

When you were writing about that first dim galaxy group, I was imagining going through a dark forest and quietly looking for different species of little birds flitting through the underbrush and you were carefully and quietly looking for their different plumage as they did their little bird things.

I appreciate you sharing your adventure with me!
You are quite welcome Bill and thank you for your kind comments. There certainly is correlation between the bird hunting you described, taking time to study each bird coupled with the anticipation of finding the next. :)
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Well planned observing session and great read, Alan! Thanks for sharing. Haven't gotten much EP time this past month. Looking forward to better times!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:54 am Well planned observing session and great read, Alan! Thanks for sharing. Haven't gotten much EP time this past month. Looking forward to better times!!

Dave
Thank you Dave. I only had three session in both March and April. But it is spring and highly variable unfortunately. Hopefully things will settle down for us in the region. Take care and best to you and the wife.
Alan

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

An amazing tour as always Alan, thank you for the journey :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:54 am An amazing tour as always Alan, thank you for the journey :)
Thank you Gabrielle, and it was my pleasure as always to have you join me.
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great globular/galaxy night Alan! Your stamina and productivity are quite impressive.

I almost went out last weekend but job and clouds intervened. Hopefully next weekend.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:40 pm Great globular/galaxy night Alan! Your stamina and productivity are quite impressive.

I almost went out last weekend but job and clouds intervened. Hopefully next weekend.
Thank you Andrey. I guess I don't do too badly for an old goat! :) I could never do an all-nighter, but two to four hours I can typically endure easily enough.

Good luck with your next outing. Our forecast is not looking promising for the coming nights and I only hope to get at least one more shot before the lunar holiday commences this month.
Alan

turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Quite a list! And some quite exciting targets.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

turboscrew wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:22 pm Quite a list! And some quite exciting targets.
Thank you Turbo, it was definitely a fine night with a good combination of showpieces and challenging objects.
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 01 May 2021 - adventures in globular and galaxy hunting

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Another great night sky journey with you. That's an amazing haul of Messier, NGC, and a WBL objects found in your observing session. Thanks for your latest excellent report Alan, and the best of wishes for many clear night skies.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 01 May 2021 - adventures in globular and galaxy hunting

Post by Juno16 »

Another amazing night out and finely detailed report Alan! Your reports are really nice and extremely well detailed. The galaxy clusters sound extremely intriguing! With your fine skies and huge aperture, you probably have quite a few targets left available.

Do you have any that are really remarkable that you like to visit often?

I have my imaging rig set up to attempt to capture some Ha areas better in M101 with my L-Enhance filter. Just an experiment!

Also, the highpoint of my evening will be trying out my new 61mm apo with some eyepieces just for fun (Sharpstar 61 EDPHII). Quite the opposite environment from your observations with a tiny scope and Bortle 7-8 skies, but it really sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks for sharing Alan!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:39 pm Hi Alan. Another great night sky journey with you. That's an amazing haul of Messier, NGC, and a WBL objects found in your observing session. Thanks for your latest excellent report Alan, and the best of wishes for many clear night skies.
Thank you Marshall. I always appreciate you stopping by to give a read and enjoy my journey with me. :)

Juno16 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:52 pm Another amazing night out and finely detailed report Alan! Your reports are really nice and extremely well detailed. The galaxy clusters sound extremely intriguing! With your fine skies and huge aperture, you probably have quite a few targets left available.

Do you have any that are really remarkable that you like to visit often?

I have my imaging rig set up to attempt to capture some Ha areas better in M101 with my L-Enhance filter. Just an experiment!

Also, the highpoint of my evening will be trying out my new 61mm apo with some eyepieces just for fun (Sharpstar 61 EDPHII). Quite the opposite environment from your observations with a tiny scope and Bortle 7-8 skies, but it really sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks for sharing Alan!

Thank you so much Jim. I became aware of the WBL study just recently and found it interesting. If you download the spreadsheet I included in my reply to Ivan, you will find that some of them are anchored by at least one NGC/IC object. I suspect there are some that I've observed before, but at the time was unaware because none of my atlases or software identify the WBL clusters. So to pursue them I will need to located the primary galaxy using Sky Tools 3 and then Steve Gottlieb's observing notes for the NGC/IC to identify at least most of the member galaxies within a specific group as he lists many of the alternate identifiers for each object, including the WBLs. Then print out a chart from ST3 to use in the field. I really enjoy the research part of the hobby, as it adds to the thrill of the observations.

I don't regularly re-visit objects as I typically am so involved with seeking out new ones. However, that said, I would say that there are certain ones that I like to re-visit whenever I think of it. They are typically galaxies that reveal detail, particularly spiral structure. I am loosely re-visiting some of the Messier objects using the 17.5 inch from the dark site to see exactly what they will reveal to me under those conditions. These are the staples that most deep sky observers cut their teeth on, and it is interesting to see them in such a different way visually. :)
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:52 pm

Thanks for sharing Alan!
Jim I apologize, I forgot to wish you good luck with your imaging tonight and trying out your new scope. I hope it goes well and lives up to your expectations. M101 is a truly interesting object and has a lot of detail to capture.
Alan

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Alan,

No apologies needed Alan!

Imaging went very well. Still not quite sure how to handle the new data, but it will be fun learning!

I bought the Sharpstar for wide field imaging, but just playing around with it last night proved to be very enjoyable!

The Nexstar mount handled it well and it is so small, it is easy to get to the eyepiece. The views are super sharp (no pun).
I just took quick looks at M81, M82, M13, M3, several doubles, and La Superba was beautiful!

While I was waiting for dark, I lined up the red dot finder on a tv tower about a mile away. Ended up watching an Osprey (large sea bird with a 5-6’ wingspan) for a few hours. Awesome sight!

Thanks Alan!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/