Orion binoviewers first light

Let's see your reports!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Orion binoviewers first light

Post by Bigzmey »

4/18/21

Equipment: Stelarvue 102ED, Celestron 8” SCT on SW SkyTee 2 mount.

Recently I have acquired Orion Binoviewers #52071. They are run of the mill BAK-4 prism design rebranded by many companies (Orion, Celestron, William Optics, Stelarvue, etc.). They are well made for the price. Compact and lightweight. Seems to be well collimated. Listed additional in-focus travel is 101.6mm – short as far as binoviewers go. There are some complains of uneven brightness between the eyes, loose EP holders and ghosting for this rebranded binoviewer design. None of these seem to apply to my copy.

The only drawback I can see is that the clear aperture is reported to be between 20 and 22mm. Max field stop for 1.25” EPs is ~27mm. This means that widest EPs like Plossl 32mm, ES68 24mm, Meade 5000 UWA 82 deg 18mm, etc. would be vignetted. Meade 26mm Plossls with field stop of ~22mm did not show any noticeable vignetting. I will test 32mm Plossls once I get a pair.

Earlier this month I had a couple of practice sessions during daylight, mainly to figure out the light train to accommodate additional in-focus introduced by BV. So, far I have managed this for Celestron 150ST refractor. This evening I have achieved the focus with SV 102ED, which turned out the same as for 150ST: 35mm extension tube - Baader T2 prism diagonal - nosepiece from Celestron 2x barlow. According to my calculations this introduces ~1.2x factor. So, my 26mm Plossls pair acts like ~22mm EPs. Which in turn means that for SV 102ED I get ~1.5 deg TFV with 26mm Plossls. The second scope I have tired this session was 8” SCT. It has longer focuser travel and with Baader T2 prism I was able to achieve focus with BVs, no light path modifications required. 26mm Plossls produce ~0.8 deg TFV.

After configuring the scopes during day light, I switched to the easiest target – the Moon, and spent most of the session observing it. Immediate benefit of binoviewers was that due to splitting the light between two eyes Moon brightness was dimmed and no filters was necessary. Meade 26mm Plossl has provided sharp, high contrast views (32x in SV 102ED, 78x in 8” SCT). Viewing with two eyes was very relaxed and pleasant. Interestingly Crater/Dome Illusion was kicking in more often than during mono observing, at least from what I recall. I did not try mono and bino side-by-side.

Next was to test a few pairs of EPs I have managed to collect in anticipation of binoviewing.

I have started with APM ultra flat field 18mm (5.3 cm diameter) and has discovered immediately that I can’t merge images – my nose is in the way. This rules out Mark IV zooms two. Bummer!

Next, I have tried Pentax XF 8.5mm (4.3 cm diameter). They have merged quite easily, but with no room to spare, pressing a bit against my nose but not too tight. Unfortunately, the seeing was bad and lunar surface was boiling in both scopes. Can’t wait to revisit at better seeing.

Next were Vixen SLVs 25mm (4.5 cm diameter) - one of my all-time favorite designs. At first glance I was able to merge the images, but somehow it was uncomfortable. Switching from one eye to another I have discovered that I can't center eyes over the EPs properly, my nose was again in the way.

Later I have checked my EP database and have discovered that majority of EPs with FOV of 60 deg or larger have body diameter 4.5cm or more. Two exceptions been Pentax XF (43mm) and BST Flat Fields (41mm, re-branded under many names). As you see they are slimmer just by a few mm, but it seems to be enough to bring it within my comfort zone. Otherwise it leaves Plossls, Orthos and other simple design EPs, not necessary a bad thing. :)

Last thing I wanted to try was double splitting with binoviewers. I used 8” SCT with the pair of Meade 26mm Plossl.

Leo
Phi Leo – double – 4.5, 9.8, 89”, white, silver; wide easy pair.
STF 1529 – double – 7.1, 7.9, 9.4”, white pair. Clear split at 78x.
HJ 4433 AB – double – 5.6, 10.8, 55.2”, white, silver.

Each time I would place binoviewers on the target for a split second I would see all stars as doubles, and then the brain would merge images. I read that this is fairly common when people look at small targets at high powers using binoviewers.

While observing the Moon was more relaxing with two eyes, for doubles I am not sure yet. With one eye you get a bit of strain from keeping the other eye close, with bino viewer a bit of strain merging images – pick your poison! :lol: I need to try more, and definitely try some brighter DSOs.

Initially, I wanted to get Baader Maxbright II binoviewers. They have been praised for having larger open aperture, self-centering EP holders and no issues with uneven brightness. On downside, quite a few people have reported ghosting with those. Still, I wanted to give them a try, but they have being on backorder for a few months. Got tired of waiting and purchased Orion BVs. I am glad I did. I know with Orion products QC is spotty, but my pair turned out just fine and at less than half price of Baader.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Orion binoviewers first light

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Glad to hear of a successful first light with all the scopes. Binoviewing does take a bit of tweaking. Leaving the question of the nose aside for the moment, I found that very slight differences in the real versus nominal focal lengths can create some strain merging images. I used to have triples of some of the Panoptics and Delos so I could pick the two that were a best match.

With regard to the issue of the nose.... someday there is going to be a binoviewer aficionado who is going to get elective plastic surgery done so that the nose fits the binoviewer. I'm sure you are too sensible to do that. ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Sounds like success to me.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:43 pm Glad to hear of a successful first light with all the scopes. Binoviewing does take a bit of tweaking. Leaving the question of the nose aside for the moment, I found that very slight differences in the real versus nominal focal lengths can create some strain merging images. I used to have triples of some of the Panoptics and Delos so I could pick the two that were a best match.

With regard to the issue of the nose.... someday there is going to be a binoviewer aficionado who is going to get elective plastic surgery done so that the nose fits the binoviewer. I'm sure you are too sensible to do that. ;)
Thanks nFA. I will stick with Plossls and Orthos. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Congrats on getting the bino viewer up and running on all the scopes! Great report of your experience too. I was surprised to hear about the moon not needing a filter, but it makes sense that with the light path going to two EPs it would actually dim it slightly.

I’ve tossed around the idea of getting a pair for my 127mm, but haven’t really come close to pulling the trigger. I can’t wait to hear more about how they work out on brighter DSOs!
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A nice night out Bigzmey, unfortunate that some of the eyepieces you tried would not work well.
It should not be hard to make up a set of good Orthos and Plossl though.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

prowler75 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:04 am Congrats on getting the bino viewer up and running on all the scopes! Great report of your experience too. I was surprised to hear about the moon not needing a filter, but it makes sense that with the light path going to two EPs it would actually dim it slightly.

I’ve tossed around the idea of getting a pair for my 127mm, but haven’t really come close to pulling the trigger. I can’t wait to hear more about how they work out on brighter DSOs!
Thanks Craig! I was surprised to, but even with 8" SCT the brightness of half-moon was quite tolerable at 78x and somewhat dim at 238x. DSOs is where Orion BVs have a disadvantage compared to Baader Maxbright II due to smaller open aperture. I don't expect stellar views, but I will report back.
Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:44 am A nice night out Bigzmey, unfortunate that some of the eyepieces you tried would not work well.
It should not be hard to make up a set of good Orthos and Plossl though.
Thanks Gabby! At this point I just need a 17-18mm pair of Plossls or Orthos and I will have 8mm to 26mm covered. Not sure what to do with 3-6mm range. I read on forums that one can't even merge images from EPs in this range. What is your experience?

StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Congrats on getting the binoviewer tested in your scopes for finding the needed eyepieces! Very informative.

I've been thinking lately of buying an inexpensive binoviewer myself. Thanks for this post!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

StarBru wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:22 pm Congrats on getting the binoviewer tested in your scopes for finding the needed eyepieces! Very informative.

I've been thinking lately of buying an inexpensive binoviewer myself. Thanks for this post!
Thanks Bruce! As you see finding EP pairs that work for you is somewhat tricky. Your favorite EPs may not work due to your face structure. Forums are not helpful either. As an example APM UFF are widely used in binoviewers, I have purchased a pair and found completely incompatible with my nose. :) Luckily, I picked them used and sold at little loss. Plossls, Orthos and other simple slim designs are safer bet.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Interesting as I have used 5mm and 6mm eyepieces but not something I would do regularly.
The refractor I normally use with the BV is also a BV ready telescope, it has a removable section so it operates at its native f/7 with the BV in place and no OCS required. Maybe this helps?

Normally I am not using them for really high power viewing though, a set of 7.5mm is my high power set.
Also I have had then supercharged and the prisms re-aligned so that may be making a bit of difference as well.

With BV you may want to look for some Vixen LV eyepieces as focal lengths between 2.5mm - 25mm the barrels are all the same. Prices are usually good since they will be used.
http://www.vixenamerica.com/Pdf/ep/Vixe ... num_LV.pdf
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:25 pm Interesting as I have used 5mm and 6mm eyepieces but not something I would do regularly.
The refractor I normally use with the BV is also a BV ready telescope, it has a removable section so it operates at its native f/7 with the BV in place and no OCS required. Maybe this helps?

Normally I am not using them for really high power viewing though, a set of 7.5mm is my high power set.
Also I have had then supercharged and the prisms re-aligned so that may be making a bit of difference as well.

With BV you may want to look for some Vixen LV eyepieces as focal lengths between 2.5mm - 25mm the barrels are all the same. Prices are usually good since they will be used.
http://www.vixenamerica.com/Pdf/ep/Vixe ... num_LV.pdf
Good idea! Thanks for reminding me about LVs. I was looking into NLVs and SLVs, but forgot about LVs. :)

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Thanks for the fine report on your new binoviewers Andrey. As a result you are the winner of the TSS Visual Report of the Day for 4/29/2021. Congratulations!

app.php/article/4-29-2021-tss-visual-report-of-the-day
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Congrats on the VROD Andrey, and glad you're enjoying your binoviewers.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Hey! Congtars on the WROD!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

helicon wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:55 pm Thanks for the fine report on your new binoviewers Andrey. As a result you are the winner of the TSS Visual Report of the Day for 4/29/2021. Congratulations!

app.php/article/4-29-2021-tss-visual-report-of-the-day
Thanks Michael and TSS team, much appreciated!
kt4hx wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:10 pm Congrats on the VROD Andrey, and glad you're enjoying your binoviewers.
turboscrew wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:21 pm Hey! Congtars on the WROD!
Thanks Alan and Turboscrew! I am setting the binoviewers aside for this dark cycle in the meant time looking for more EP pairs to test. :D

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Congratulations Bigzmey, hopefully you have some more clear skies arriving as well.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Andrey. Another fine observing report from you again, and now with the new binoviewers. And, you pulled out some nice doubles in Leo too. Thanks for your fun read report Andrey, and I hope that you can get back to the Anza desert location again soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

quote="Lady Fraktor" post_id=149327 time=1619726313 user_id=60]
Congratulations Bigzmey, hopefully you have some more clear skies arriving as well.
[/quote]

Makuser wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:25 pm Hello Andrey. Another fine observing report from you again, and now with the new binoviewers. And, you pulled out some nice doubles in Leo too. Thanks for your fun read report Andrey, and I hope that you can get back to the Anza desert location again soon.
Thanks Gabby and Marshall! If the weather holds I should be out this weekend. :D