My first report

Let's see your reports!
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: My first report

Post by turboscrew »

helicon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:50 pm :geek: I edited the date @turboscrew for posterity's sake...
Thanks! My time window for editing was already gone.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:24 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:17 pm
turboscrew wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:16 pm Where to heck did I got that Jun 19th? Should have been Apr 19th, of course.
You are observing in the future, where impressive! :) This is a very nice first report Turboscrew, you hit it running. It also gives us a perspective on what it takes to observe in Finland. Well done!

I agree with nFA, 26mm is too long for your scope, and Erfle design of SWAN EP is poor match for a fast newt. I would suggest to look for 82 deg 14 to 20mm EP.
Well, there was another reason for getting that eyepiece - the polar alignment.
The bright star there is supposed to be Polaris, and the center should be the pole.

By all means use it for the alignment. But I think that a shorter fl ocular of different design will be a much more useful bit of observing kit. You'll be surprised pleasantly at how well a shorter highly corrected design will perform.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hello turboscrew. A very nice and complete first observing report from you. Sorry to read about the declination axis drive freezing up on you and hope that you get this resolved soon. Thanks for taking the time to put your well written report up on here for us to enjoy turboscrew, and congratulations on winning the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:31 pm

You are observing in the future, where impressive! :) This is a very nice first report Turboscrew, you hit it running. It also gives us a perspective on what it takes to observe in Finland. Well done!

I agree with nFA, 26mm is too long for your scope, and Erfle design of SWAN EP is poor match for a fast newt. I would suggest to look for 82 deg 14 to 20mm EP.
The bright star there is supposed to be Polaris, and the center should be the pole.

By all means use it for the alignment. But I think that a shorter fl ocular of different design will be a much more useful bit of observing kit. You'll be surprised pleasantly at how well a shorter highly corrected design will perform.
Do you have a good suggestion? I'm still not familiar with the designs, and who makes what.
Maybe, just maybe, I get to use the Allen key trick to have some kind of idea of my pupil size.
The sky is not really very dark here, and especially not anymore, until the next autumn.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:57 pm

Do you have a good suggestion? I'm still not familiar with the designs, and who makes what.
Maybe, just maybe, I get to use the Allen key trick to have some kind of idea of my pupil size.
The sky is not really very dark here, and especially not anymore, until the next autumn.
Most observers like the 82-84 degree AFOV eyepieces like the TV Naglers and the Explore Scientific clones of Naglers. When I had my f4 Newt I used a coma corrector with the eyepiece so the expense of that needs to be considered, if your fussy about coma. However after running through two complete sets of T4 and T6 Naglers (of which I only liked the 17mm type 4) I settled on the 68 degree AFOV TV Panoptics.

Folks seem to like the 18mm ES 82 degree AFOV (~300 USD) or its counterpart the TV Nagler t4 17mm (~400 USD) or 22mm (~460 USD).

I find the distortions of the FOV in the 80+ degree eyepieces to be too much to tolerate. That's why I settled on a smaller AFOV and the Panoptics of which the 19 and 24mm are my workhorses for finding galaxies. (~250 and ~320 USD).

Will you be happy with the 80+? Likely. If you can, try before you buy.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Nice report you sure covered the sky. I feel for you on the frustration technical glitches give you - hopefully it is only minor. One thing I noticed it happened after you had been away from the scope, was it tracking at that time? Just a random thought, could an issue have occurred while you were away. Congrats on the VROD.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by NGC 1365 »

Nice report, easy to follow along with and congratulations on the VROD.
Ivan
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:44 pm

Most observers like the 82-84 degree AFOV eyepieces like the TV Naglers and the Explore Scientific clones of Naglers. When I had my f4 Newt I used a coma corrector with the eyepiece so the expense of that needs to be considered, if your fussy about coma. However after running through two complete sets of T4 and T6 Naglers (of which I only liked the 17mm type 4) I settled on the 68 degree AFOV TV Panoptics.

Folks seem to like the 18mm ES 82 degree AFOV (~300 USD) or its counterpart the TV Nagler t4 17mm (~400 USD) or 22mm (~460 USD).

I find the distortions of the FOV in the 80+ degree eyepieces to be too much to tolerate. That's why I settled on a smaller AFOV and the Panoptics of which the 19 and 24mm are my workhorses for finding galaxies. (~250 and ~320 USD).

Thanks. Got to figure out which one ends to my next shopping list.
But there's no way for me to try before buy. No such shops (that I know of) within, say, 100 km, and I still don't know other stargazers nearby. I haven't managed to reach the people of Tampere Ursa yet.
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 pm

But there's no way for me to try before buy. No such shops (that I know of) within, say, 100 km, and I still don't know other stargazers nearby. I haven't managed to reach the people of Tampere Ursa yet.
The main difference between the 80 degree and the 70 degree AFOV eyepieces is that the former have more pincushion or angular distortion. A straight line in the field of view becomes curved. If you would only be using the eyepiece at night on DSOs it might not bother you. I am one of the few annoyed to no end by it. The 70s AFOV have it too but it's more moderate. When I stopped using the 80s I also no longer needed the coma corrector to keep the edge of field sharp. Mine is definitely a minority view though.

This is not to say that the Panoptics have no pincushion distortion. I just find the degree of it acceptable to my eyes.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 pm

Since you already familiar with 70 deg FOV, you could just get a better corrected EP with similar FOV, like ES 68 deg 20mm or 16mm.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

@notFritzArgelander : I checked that in Europe, Tele vue T4 Nagler 17 mm costs now about 500 €. Nagler T4 22 mm is about 600 €. I guess the new customs policies... And I guess if I ordered from US, it'd become even more expensive, and there would be the bureaucracy with the customs.

@Bigzmey : Familiar with 70°... Don't know about that. Only have used it in one session yet.

I'd like to go with 20 mm or longer just because of the light. I'm afraid that higher magnification makes the targets that much fainter. But I don't really know what my eyes are capable of. I tried that Allen key trick, but didn't find dark enough anywhere. In the outside, you can almost read a newspaper. Inside I tried a dark room an a device with a LED, but didn't find any dark enough place with enough room to place a device with a LED far enough for at least a rough check.
I was in a room upstairs, and it started looking good, but then a neighbour turned on their porch light...

=> I don't know what I want. :veryconfused:
Last edited by turboscrew on Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Juha

prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Great report and congrats on the VROD!
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

turboscrew wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:06 am @notFritzArgelander : I checked that in Europe, Tele vue T4 Nagler 17 mm costs now about 500 €. Nagler T4 22 mm is about 600 €. I guess the new customs policies... And I guess if I ordered from US, it'd become even more expensive, and there would be the bureaucracy with the customs.

@Bigzmey : Familiar with 70°... Don't know about that. Only have used it in one session yet.

I'd like to go with 20 mm or longer just because of the light. I'm afraid that higher magnification makes the targets that much fainter. But I don't really know what my eyes are capable of. I tried that Allen key trick, but didn't find dark enough anywhere. In the outside, you can almost read a newspaper. Inside I tried a dark room an a device with a LED, but didn't find any dark enough place with enough room to place a device with a LED far enough for at least a rough check.
I was in a room upstairs, and it started looking good, but then a neighbour turned on their porch light...

Maybe a reducer...?
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:06 am ......

I'd like to go with 20 mm or longer just because of the light. I'm afraid that higher magnification makes the targets that much fainter. But I don't really know what my eyes are capable of...

This fear of higher magnification making the object fainter is not quite justified. You’re also making the sky background fainter too! To detect a small faint object against the sky you need a magnification that optimizes the contrast between the object and the sky. A smaller object demands higher magnification. When I’m off the phone and back on the computer I’ll post a link that explains the details.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:24 am

I'd like to go with 20 mm or longer just because of the light. I'm afraid that higher magnification makes the targets that much fainter. But I don't really know what my eyes are capable of...

This fear of higher magnification making the object fainter is not quite justified. You’re also making the sky background fainter too! To detect a small faint object against the sky you need a magnification that optimizes the contrast between the object and the sky. A smaller object demands higher magnification. When I’m off the phone and back on the computer I’ll post a link that explains the details.
Here's the link to Clark's Visual Astronomy of the Night Sky. The linked page has some information about how magnification and aperture affect observability. Higher magnification is often essential. https://clarkvision.com/visastro/index.html
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:23 am
turboscrew wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:06 am @notFritzArgelander : I checked that in Europe, Tele vue T4 Nagler 17 mm costs now about 500 €. Nagler T4 22 mm is about 600 €. I guess the new customs policies... And I guess if I ordered from US, it'd become even more expensive, and there would be the bureaucracy with the customs.

Maybe a reducer...?
No, definitely not..... You'll be brightening your sky and reducing contrast.

If I were still an owner of an f4 Newt I'd have eyepieces at 8, 12, 16, 20 and maybe 24 or 25mm to make good steps in exit pupil from my maximum down to 2mm for DSOs and galaxies. Higher magnification is the only way to make a contrast between a small object and sky brightness.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:25 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:24 am

Here's the link to Clark's Visual Astronomy of the Night Sky. The linked page has some information about how magnification and aperture affect observability. Higher magnification is often essential. https://clarkvision.com/visastro/index.html
PS An embedded lin in the quoted link to Visual Astronomy of the Deep Sky shows how complicated the physiology of detecting extended faint objects with dark adapted eyes is. The short of the argument is that with night vision an extended object is more easily detectible if the magnification is large enough. The human eye needs the faint object to be larger or it isn't detected. https://clarkvision.com/visastro/omva1/index.html

For extended objects the telescope never "makes it brighter". One has to play with contrast effects for visual detection. I was put onto Clark's book and site by @j.gardavsky it is the simplest explanation of the technology and physiology of visual observing that is realistic. Before, I used much more complicated and cumbersome methods to optimize.

The crucial graph is in Figure 2 where the eye's angular resolution as a function of background brightness is displayed.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

OK. I have to look into the curve a bit longer to capture the essential. I also found a small reluctance in me to accept that I probably should go for smaller focal length eyepieces. But I seem to be getting over it. :)
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:16 pm Where to heck did I got that Jun 19th? Should have been Apr 19th, of course.
I didn't find the design of my SWAN? So it's Erfle, and Erfles are not good for fast scopes?
That was what I was after long ago when I was asking about eyepiece types.
Naglers would be good?

Do the classifications, like SWA, UWA and XWA give any hint about the structure?

@notFritzArgelander : You mentioned ES clones. Which ones are?
The TV T4 Naglers seem to have 7 elements in 5 groups. ES 82° waterproof 18 mm has 6 elements in 4 groups (and is suspiciously cheap - 195 €).
Of course ES doesn't tell about the structures on their pages. Had to check on a reseller's page.
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

A-ha. The reseller was lying. In the ES catalog it says that in the waterproof 82° series, there are 7 elements in 4 groups.
- Juha