Observing Report for 06 April 2021 - the evening went south, but in a good way!

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 06 April 2021 - the evening went south, but in a good way!

Post by kt4hx »

Finally we are putting the COVID intrusion into our lives behind us and were feeling spry enough to head over to the dark site house. Circumstances at home dictated that we could only do one night this trip, so we chose the one evening with the best forecast.

The two primary goals this outing were to re-visit the objects on this month’s DSO challenge list that I can see from my latitude with the 17.5 inch, and to see if I could dig down into the Antlia Galaxy Cluster which would be only about 14° above the southern horizon when it emerged from behind the big tree at the southern end of the property. By the way, I thank member Ivan (NGC 1365) for suggesting this galaxy cluster in a previous conversation.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 21mm (94x, 1.1° TFOV, 4.7mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

(Treasure found)

Messier 65 / NGC 3623 (Leo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=9.3, size=9.8’x2.9’, SBr=12.8):
Since some of my intended targets were still lurking near or behind the big tree at the southern end of the property, I needed to kill some time. So I began with the northern objects from the April TSS Monthly DSO Challenge. Aiming the scope at mag 3.3 Theta Leonis (Chartan), I then slipped south while viewing through the 8x50 RACI. I quickly found 73 Leonis (mag 5.3) just over 2° to the SSE. In the same view I could easily see mag 7.1 HD 98388 to its east. This star lies along the western side of the triangle formed by the Leo Triplet. South of the star I could just make out the presence of M65 in the finder as a tiny and very dim diffuse knot.

Moving to the eyepiece (94x) the triplet was seen easily all in the same 1.1° TFOV. M65 was a large and bright thin ellipse oriented north-south displaying an inner lens of brightness anointed with a stellar core. Its disk seemed uneven in illumination as the eye moved across its face. Moving to 152x the sense of a curdled visual affect seemed more noticeable and the northern side of the disk seemed slightly brighter than the southern portion. Taking a look at 199x, I picked up a subtly brighter section with its outer arm near the northern tip of the visible envelope. This galaxy was quite fetching in the 17.5 inch, and I wasn’t done yet!

Messier 66 / NGC 3627 (Leo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=8.9, size=9.1’x4.2’, SBr=12.7):
Sharing the same FOV with M65 and just to its east, I now concentrated on M66. It was slightly more apparent in the RACI view. Taking my first look at 94x, it presented a bright and large oval that was thicker in breadth than was M65. Similarly it was oriented north south but seemed more evenly illuminated initially than did M65. Like the previous galaxy, it also sported a bright inner lens with a stellar core set within it. A 9th mag field star lay in close attendance to its northwestern edge. Checking it out with 152x it now appeared more uneven in illumination across its envelope. The southern portion of the disk seemed more extended than the northern, and it also seemed to be subtly hooked toward the southeast, inferring its spiral structure. There also seemed to be a tiny knot of brightness just north of the core, likely an HII region. Going ahead to 199x, the sense of the southern arm hooking away from the core to the southeast was more noticeable, while the apparent HII region just off the northern side of the core was also more apparent, though still quite tiny. Again, this is a beautiful galaxy, with both similarities and differences in comparison to M65.

NGC 3628 (Leo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=9.5, size=14.8’x3.0’, SBr=13.4):
North of the previous two objects and perpendicular to their major axis, I easily spotted this delightful ghostly object at 94x. It was large and bright, but in a dim sort of way. To clarify, it was quite obvious in the FOV, but it was more subdued than its neighbors to the south having lower surface brightness. Its disk was a thin edge-on orientation that seemed quite mottled to the eye. Going ahead to 152x it was quite a curious sight indeed, with glimpses of its central dark lane seeming to cross its disk at an odd angle to the major axis. This gave it a very uneven light distribution along the major axis. The northern half of the galaxy was much more prominent while the southern half was very weak, with only a modest amount of its envelope visible below the dark lane. This impression was significantly reinforces when moving up to 199x and even 283x. The odd angle of the bisecting dark lane made split the light from the galaxy disk into very unequal halves with the northern portion along the major axis clearly dominant to what was seen below the dark lane. It was a most curious visual appearance, and added immensely to the allure of this triplet visually.

NGC 3596 (Leo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.1, size=4.0’x3.8’, SBr=14.1):
This galaxy lay just 40.5’ SSE of Theta Leonis, on the way to the triplet. So since it was close I also re-visited this object as well. Initially picked up with 94x, it presented a bright and somewhat large rounded glow with a weak stellar core pinned to its center. The view was similar at 152x and 199x, with the face-on spiral dominating the field of view with its fairly large diffuse envelope, though the stellar core remained a weak presence within.

NGC 2818 (Pyxis, planetary nebula, mag=11.5, size=1.4’, SBr=12.0):
I now moved to southern Pyxis for this planetary that has thwarted me during my more southerly trips with smaller aperture. Aiming the scope at mag 4.0 Beta Pyxidis, I then swept ESE just over 7° to a small triangle of stars, HD 79961 at mag 7.0, HD 79807 at 5.8 and HD 79940 at 4.6. This little triangle lay in northern Vela about 2° west of where it, Pyxis and Antlia meet.

Starting out with 152x because of the weight of the 21mm Ethos and the low elevation of about 13° above the horizon I started with the 13mm (152x). Less than a degree north of the triangle I easily picked up this nebula as a large (for a planetary) rounded bright disk with an uneven brightness. Using 199x it was a very strong presence within the field. Its uneven nature was more pronounced with seeming knots of brightness within the disk which was presumably internal structural detail. The central star is about mag 19.4, therefore out of reach. The planetary lay in front of the western portion of the weak open cluster Collinder 206. It was discovered by James Dunlop on 28 May 1826 as his object D564. (New)

Collinder 206 (Pyxis, open cluster, mag=8.2, size=8.0’.class=II 2 m n
This cluster shares the field with NGC 2818 and is sometimes erroneously identified as NGC 2818A when it is more properly listed as Collinder 206 or Melotte 96. This cluster is a background object to the planetary. Overall it was a poor cluster, with perhaps upwards of 30 stars of 11th magnitude and dimmer with no coherent feel of a cluster. Randomly scattered their main attribute was to provide a pretty backdrop for the planetary. (New)

NGC 2845 (Vela, lenticular galaxy, mag=11.7, size=2.0’x1.0’, SBr=12.3):
I have not observed a galaxy in Vela before, so I dipped down from NGC 2818, crossing the border. I was able to pin down this small oval using 152x. It presented a dim diffuse disk lying between and in line with two widely separated field stars (11th and 12th mag). At 199x it was easier but still not a strong presence in the field. A stellar core was not glimpsed in the center of its diffuse envelope. (New)

NGC 3224 (Antlia, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.0, size=1.9’x1.5’, SBr=13.2):
I now positioned myself for a shot at the Antlia Cluster by aiming at Alpha Antlia (mag 4.2) and moving SSW about 4° to a gentle curve of three stars that point to the cluster. Moving east from them I noticed the cluster field was still just within the clutches of the outer branches of my nemesis tree, so I targeted a couple galaxies just to its west in the interim.

This elliptical was easily located at 152x as a small and slightly dim thick oval. Generally homogenous its disk seemed smooth. Taking a look at 199x it remained small but brightened noticeably. The core area exhibited a broad brightness within the overall envelope. (New)

NGC 3223 (Antlia, spiral galaxy, mag=11.0, size=4.1’x2.5’, SBr-13.3):
Less than half a degree north of the previous object I encountered this somewhat bright oval. Slightly large in visual extent, it exhibited a very tight non-stellar brightness within the core at 152x. It lies between two stars of 10th and 11th magnitude, but closer to the latter. Taking a look at 199x the core became a very intermittent stellar one. The galaxy disk was bright and diffuse, and strongly dominated the field and its dimmer neighbor to the south. (New)

Antlia Cluster / Abell S0636 (Galaxy Cluster, size=1.0°, members=234)

By now the cluster field had cleared the tree and I could give it a look to see what I could pull out. In the meantime, I noticed the seeing and transparency seemed to be dropping off slightly toward the southern horizon. So my main theme here was to focus on the primary members of this cluster and not worry about digging too deep given the approximate altitude of around 14°.

This is the third closest galaxy cluster to us, behind the Virgo and Fornax clusters at a distance of around 133 MLY and is considered a poor cluster in comparison. It contains approximately 234 members, most of which are beyond the reach of amateur scopes of course. Nonetheless it should offer a small number of nice galaxies which I could observe even at such a low altitude. It consists of two primary groups, which are dominated by the elliptical galaxies NGC 3268 (northern group) and NGC 3258 (southern group). The observations listed below were done with 152x and 199x.

NGC 3268 (Antlia, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.5, size=3.5’x2.5’, SBr=13.8):
Once I arrived in the field the first thing I noticed was this object framed by the next two. I had arrived at the northern grouping within the cluster field. This main member presented a rounded glow that was somewhat bright to the eye with a tiny non-stellar core. Slightly large in visual extent, it was the strongest of the three in the view. (New)

NGC 3267 (Antlia, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.8’x1.1’, SBr=13.1):
Immediately to the west of the previous object and in the same FOV was this small oval glow. Slightly dim to the eye, it presented an intermittent stellar core within the disk. (New)

NGC 3271 (Antlia, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=11.8, size=3.1’x1.8’, SBr=13.5):
About 5.5’ ESE of NGC 3268 and again within the same view I also noted this small elongated glow. Overall it was homogeneous to the eye, and its disk was slightly bright. (New)

NGC 3269 (Antlia, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.2, size=2.5’x1.1’, SBr=13.2):
Shifting my attention north of NGC 3268 near a north-south pair of 10th mag field stars I immediately noticed this slightly bright elongated glow. Small in visual extent its disk was diffuse and homogenous. (New)

NGC 3258 (Antlia, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.5, size=2.9’x2.5’, SBr=13.6):
Moving down to the southern sub-group within the cluster, I immediately noticed its dominant elliptical. It presented a somewhat bright and slightly large round glow. It’s very diffuse disk was punctuated with a stellar core. (New)

NGC 3260 (Antlia, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.2’x1.0’, SBr=12.8):
Immediately northeast of the previous object was that small and subtly bright round glow. It too contained a stellar core within a diffuse envelope. (New)

NGC 3257 (Antlia, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.0’x0.9’, SBr=12.9):
About 3.5’ SSW of NGC 3258 and in the same field I noticed this very small and dim round mote. While more apparent at 199x it remained a homogenous little puff of light. (New)

NGC 3273 (Antlia, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.7’x0.8’, SBr=12.6):
The final cluster member I spotted was this dim member about 19.5’ east of NGC 3258. I found it a small elongated disk that was generally diffuse in appearance. (New)

NGC 3281 (Antlia, spiral galaxy, mag=11.7, size=3.3’x1.7’, SBr=13.4):
Moving out of the cluster field just slightly to the northeast I found my last object in Antlia for the evening. Picked up with 152x it was slightly large in visual presence. Its disk was slightly and elongated, as well as homogeneous to the eye. When viewed with 199x it was readily apparent but seemed to be more ghostly with somewhat low surface brightness. It remained quite diffuse and evenly illuminated. (New)

After leaving Antlia I remembered that I needed to complete my re-visit of the final two objects for this month’s TSS DSO Challenge, so I headed first to Vela then Sextans before moving on into Crater to finish up the evening.

NGC 3132 (Vela, planetary nebula, mag=9.2, size=1.5’x1.4’, SBr=9.7):
With this one I was really digging down in the muck and mire of the horizon air mass. After it had cleared the big tree, it was at around 9° above the horizon. With the 13mm Ethos in the focuser (152x) I began back at mag 4.0 Beta Pyxidis and swept east and south until I located an asterism in northern Vela that I like to call the “Recognizer” from the old game Tron Deadly Discs, which I used to play as a small boy. The shape of the grouping immediately reminded me of this character from the game the first time I saw it a few years ago. This group lies southeast of the planetary. Moving north from the western end of the “Recognizer” I located a small Bootes shaped group lying on its side, which pointed to NGC 3132.

Putting eye to the eyepiece I slowly nudged west from the Bootes-like grouping and quickly swept up the bright planetary. It was more of an oval shape, large for a planetary and very bright. The mag 10.0 central star was readily apparent within its diffuse disk. Going to 199x I was seeing glimpses of an interior dark annulus surrounding the central star. The outer portions of the shell were quite diffuse and bright. Overall the disk was very uneven to the eye. I also applied the DGM NPB filter and the nebula responded well. The central star was tamed and the darker interior was more pronounced, while the overall impression was of an uneven and diffuse envelope. A much more impressive view, despite the very low elevation, than I had in a five inch from about 18° north latitude several years ago.

NGC 3115 (Sextans, lenticular galaxy, mag=8.9, size=7.2’x2.5’, SBr=11.9):
My last challenge object was this fine lenticular in the celestial sextant. Aiming the scope at mag 5.1 Gamma Sextantis I quickly located the field with the RACI finder west of a wide pair of stars (6th and 7th mag). I could just make out the presence of the galaxy in the finder as well as a tiny diffuse glow. Moving to the eyepiece, this time back to the Ethos 21mm (94x), and the galaxy was a bright and large spindle of light. Its core shone brightly as a slightly elongated inner lens within the overall galaxy envelope. The ends tapered away from the slight central bulge of the disk, canted in a northeast-southwest orientation.

Dropping in the 13mm (152x) the galaxy was a true showpiece. Its disk was exceedingly bright sliver, its central bulge more pronounced and its ends extended further. I noted that its two ends did not extend evenly away from the core area. Rather the southwestern portion seemed to extend further before fading into the sky than did the northeastern side, giving it a slightly uneven appearance. I have always found this a splendidly beautiful galaxy, and in the larger aperture it was indeed a true beauty.

I was starting to feel generally tired and the muscles around my observing eye were also beginning to feel fatigued and prone to some minor spasms. So I had to step away for a few moments to allow them to relax. Looking around the sky while sitting back in my chair, I could feel the tiredness and knew I was in the home stretch for this evening. After a few minutes I headed to Crater the celestial cup to hunt my final galaxies for this outing. I had only observed a little in Crater previously, so I knew there was an ample supply of galaxies for me to pursue, and without the impact of the severe extinction I had been dealing with in the Antlia Cluster. So I aimed the scope at mag 4.7 Theta Crateris to begin the end of my evening.

NGC 3763 (Crater, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.7, size=1.1’x1.1’, SBr=12.8):
While looking at Theta Crateris I could just make out the feeble glow of this face-on spiral galaxy in the bright glare field of the star using 94x. It was small, round and ghostly. Using 152x it was easier but still heavily impacted by the glare of Theta. Though not difficult it was nonetheless muted compared to how it would have appeared away from a brighter star. Using 199x it was very easy, but remained a dim homogenous round puff of light within the light scatter from Theta. I love these kinds of objects that hide the in glare of brighter stars as they present a unique challenge. (New)

NGC 3771 (Crater, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.3’x1.3’, SBr=13.2):
Northeast of Theta I found this somewhat bright round little glow just north of a mag 7.4 field star. A stellar core was evident even at 94x. The galaxy’s appearance changed little at both 152x and 199x other than being more apparent within the field, not so atypical for an elliptical. It shared the field with the next object which lay about 9’ to its west. (New)

An interesting aside here is that south of the mag 7.4 star, the IDSA (chart 70-left) plots another galaxy, lenticular NGC 3789 (mag=13.4, size=1.6'x0.8', SBr=12.9). Try as I might I could not pull this star out even though I knew I was in the correct field. After the fact, I found out why – IDSA has it plotted in the wrong position. It lies about halfway between that star and Theta. So I never knew to look farther afield. This is but one of several errors I’ve found in the IDSA. I even reported some to them via their portal but never heard back and to my knowledge they have not been corrected. This was a frustrating occurrence, but something to re-visit my next opportunity. I have annotated the correct position for this galaxy in the IDSA for future reference. Oy vey!

NGC 3791 (Crater, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.3’x1.0’, SBr=13.8):
In the same view as the previous object, this small oval, it was noticeably dimmer than its field mate at 94x. At 152x and 199x it remained dim, but still readily apparent to the eye as a small homogenous oval. (New)

NGC 3730 (Crater, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.5’x1.3’, SBr=13.7):
The IDSA plots a hook of three galaxies west of Theta, and this elliptical is the northern of the trio. Viewing with 94x it was a small and dim slight oval that was evenly illuminated to the eye. But even at 152x and 199x it remained a weak and homogenous soft glow. There seems to be some confusion about the identities of this galaxy and NGC 3732. But according to my research it seems that the way they are plotted in the IDSA is correct. (New)

NGC 3732 (Crater, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.2’x1.2’, SBr=12.8):
About 10’ south of NGC 3730 I spotted this small rounded glow in the same field at 94x. Slightly bright it was generally homogeneous to the eye. There was a field star involved toward the northeastern edge of the disk. The view was similar at 152x while 199x brought out subtle non-stellar core brightness within the envelope. (New)

NGC 3723 (Crater, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.1’x0.9’, SBr=13.1):
I found this lenticular about 26.5’ WSE of NGC 3732. With 94x it was fairly dim, small, round and diffuse in appearance. Using 152x and 199x it was more apparent, but remained weak in the field. (New)

NGC 3636 (Crater, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.4, size=1.3’x1.3’, SBr=13.0):
A little over 9’ northwest of mag 4.8 Crateris I noticed the star HD 98591 (mag 6.5) had two galaxies plotted in close proximity in the IDSA. Star hopping from Epsilon to this star, I immediately picked up the duo. This elliptical lay just 1.5’ northwest of the star and while it was obvious at 94x it suffered quite a bit from the star’s glare. Small and round it was diffuse a stellar core was seen. Viewed with both 152x and 199x it was more obvious, but remained a diffuse little glow within the glare field of HD 98951. (New)

NGC 3637 (Crater, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.7, size=1.6’x1.5’, SBr=13.6):
About 3’ northeast of HD 98951 this presented a small and diffuse rounded glow in the star’s glare field. Slight more removed from the star itself, but slightly dimmer in magnitude, they were of similar appearance at 94x. A stellar core appeared within its disk at 152x and 199x. While it was not difficult to see, the presence of the star so nearby had a definite negative impact to its appearance. (New)

NGC 3672 (Crater, spiral galaxy, mag=11.4, size=4.2’x1.9’, SBr=13.5):
My last object of the evening was this spiral which formed a nearly equilateral triangle with Epsilon Crateris and HD 98951. Just over 1° north of Epsilon, it was easily seen at 94x as a somewhat bright and slightly large elongated oval. Generally homogeneous to the eye, it dominated the field in which it lay. Viewing with 152x and 199x it was very obvious as a fairly large elongated disk that had a ghostly appearance due to its lower surface brightness. This was a fine galaxy to end my session on as it was a beautiful object against the dark backdrop. (New)

I finally wrapped it all up just before 0030 hours after having put in about three hours of observing. It was tiring but successful. Overall I feel I did well for my first time out after the COVID crap last month. Our energy has picked up, though we still seem to tire easily after some moderate to heavy activity. We are hopeful that this will not be the new normal for the rest of our lives!

I encourage all too please visit the TSS Monthly DSO Challenge and take a look at this month’s suggested targets in the Submissions sub-forum (link provided below). Whether you are a visual observer like me, one who sketches their objects, or you are purely into imaging, these targets are presented for your pursuit and enjoyment. So take a look at the objects, determine which ones you have access to based on your latitude and give them a try. Be sure to post your results for them in the Submissions sub-forum by creating a new thread so that your contributions are more visible, thus encouraging others to post their results for all of us to share and enjoy.

viewforum.php?f=83

Anyway, thanks for coming along on my night of observing. I do hope to see you out there soon. Stay healthy, stay safe and keep looking up friends. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 06 April 2021 - the evening went south, but in a good way!

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Glad the bug is behind you and you managed another epic haul!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 06 April 2021 - the evening went south, but in a good way!

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. I am glad that you did get a nice night away to your dark site. And, it looks like you grabbed a bucket full of wonderful objects. Thanks for your fun read and informative report Alan, and I hope that you can enjoy another escape to your dark site again soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:13 pm Glad the bug is behind you and you managed another epic haul!
Thank you nFA. We are so glad to have all that ordeal behind us. I had my second vaccination (Moderna) on April Fool's Day of all days. It really kicked my keister too! For nearly 24 hrs I was unable to do much of anything other than sleep. But things are looking better now, and I was very happy to finally get out under the sky.
Makuser wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:14 am Hi Alan. I am glad that you did get a nice night away to your dark site. And, it looks like you grabbed a bucket full of wonderful objects. Thanks for your fun read and informative report Alan, and I hope that you can enjoy another escape to your dark site again soon.
Thank you Marshall. It was nice to finally get a chance to do something more normal for a change. Hope all is well on your end.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:18 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:13 pm Glad the bug is behind you and you managed another epic haul!
Thank you nFA. We are so glad to have all that ordeal behind us. I had my second vaccination (Moderna) on April Fool's Day of all days. It really kicked my keister too! For nearly 24 hrs I was unable to do much of anything other than sleep. But things are looking better now, and I was very happy to finally get out under the sky.
By coincidence I got my second dose of Pfizer on April Fool's Day. I could not resist making lame jokes about it to the staff. They were polite and giggled. I had long term sleep issues but they are gradually resolving.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Juno16 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Wonderful report Alan!

Your observation descriptions are a delight to read. Thanks for the virtual observing evening!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:03 am Wonderful report Alan!

Your observation descriptions are a delight to read. Thanks for the virtual observing evening!
Thank you Jim, and its always a pleasure to have you along for the evening's session. :)
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for your extensive reports on the Leo, Pyxis, Antlia, Vela and Crater galaxies. I liked the main course of the Leo clusters most. Description was easy to follow with SkySafari pics on the cellphone. Very nice!
Thanks for sharing it with us!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:02 pm Thanks for your extensive reports on the Leo, Pyxis, Antlia, Vela and Crater galaxies. I liked the main course of the Leo clusters most. Description was easy to follow with SkySafari pics on the cellphone. Very nice!
Thanks for sharing it with us!
Thank you John. Observing the Leo Triplet in the 17.5 inch was a real treat. Because they are so bright and large visually they offer rewarding structural details that are a nice reprieve from the typically smaller and dimmer (some woefully so) galaxies that make up the vast majority of my galaxy hunting. While I enjoy chasing the dimmer targets, it is nice to observe the brighter showpiece objects from time to time to revel in their beauty as well as relax the eyes a bit. :)
Alan

j.gardavsky Germany

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello Alan,

a very successful long observing session!
Your descriptions give me a feeling how great the views must have been.

Thank you for sharing,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

j.gardavsky wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:24 pm Hello Alan,

a very successful long observing session!
Your descriptions give me a feeling how great the views must have been.

Thank you for sharing,
JG
Thank you JG. It was my pleasure to take you and others along on the journey through my descriptions. Hope all is well there my friend. :)
Alan

prowler75

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Excellently detailed and well written report Alan! Happy to hear you’re moving on from the COVID intrusion quite well.
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

prowler75 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:04 am Excellently detailed and well written report Alan! Happy to hear you’re moving on from the COVID intrusion quite well.
Thank you Craig. It was indeed good to be out under the night sky again and to put the worst of the experience behind us. :)
Alan

helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congratulations Alan on winning today's TSS VROD Award!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:32 pm Congratulations Alan on winning today's TSS VROD Award!
Thank you Michael and Team. I appreciate the kind recognition of my efforts. :)
Alan

Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I am glad that you guys feeling better and you are back to observing, Alan. Excellent session and report, makes me want to buy 17" DOB. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1048

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congrats on the VROD Alan!

Well deserved.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on VROD Alan! You are the master of visual reports!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:38 pm I am glad that you guys feeling better and you are back to observing, Alan. Excellent session and report, makes me want to buy 17" DOB. :)
Thank you Andrey. It was indeed good to be back in action. I feel blessed to have the 17.5 at our dark site permanently. It truly is a match made in the heavens for a dyed in the wool galaxy hunter like myself. Perhaps you will get a portable big dob someday that you can take out to Anza. :)
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Gordon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:48 pm Congrats on the VROD Alan!

Well deserved.
Thanks Gordon, I appreciate the acknowledgement of my efforts.
Alan