prowler75
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Knocking the dust off!

Post by prowler75 »

04/02/2021

Hello Friends!

It has been quite a while since I have gotten myself out to observe and even longer since I’ve written a report. The usual curveballs of life caused me to drift away from observing, but now that things have calmed down, I feel that the bug has bit me again and it’s time to jump right back into the hobby.

Just a little backstory to start off. My wife and I did a pandemic downsizing where we sold a house neither of us were really crazy about and temporarily moved into an apartment to save money. As a result, I currently don't have a backyard of my own and my 12” dob is in storage. The good thing about having multiple telescopes though is that I still have my very capable 8” dob that hasn’t seen any use since I upgraded to my 12”.

That left the issue of location. The apartment complex is out for anything other than observing the moon due to the massive amount of ground lighting. My former remote observing location I haven’t been to in a while now hosts a locked gate, so I have found myself back to square one when it comes to observing sites. I have had my eye on a spot not far away, a small gravel parking area next to a baseball field. Unfortunately this spot is still close to the road so I had to creatively position my car to shield me from the occasional passing headlights.

Tonight’s session wasn’t intended to be very serious. Much more of a knock the dust off my observing skills and make sure I still remembered how to star hop my way around. Because of this I only focused on using one eyepiece (ES 82˚ 18mm) and did not take any notes along the way.

Shortly after dark I packed up my gear and headed out with the goal of checking out some of the brighter galaxies in Leo. My first target was the Leo Triplet.

M66, M65, NGC 3628 were easy to find, but only appeared as faint ghosts. I had forgot to bring a towel with me to shield my view so I wasn’t really as dark adapted as I would prefer for hunting galaxies.

I continued to move on upward into Leo and picked up M105 with a very faint NGC 3384 in the same field. Then on to M96 and M95. Both of which appeared as faint ghostly smudges on the night sky.

From here I decided to change course. I pointed my scope at Denebola and moved my way down toward this galaxy rich portion of the sky. I picked up M99, M86, M84, M60, M59, M89 and ended with M87. I could have pulled a little more out of this area, but I was starting to get tired.

Even though this session was not as in depth as I usually go and the views were somewhat feeble compared to past observations with my 12”, it felt really good to have a telescope out and viewing some galaxies!

We have another clear night in the forecast, so I am fully intending on getting out again with a little more preparation this time.

Thanks for sticking around and reading my report.

Clear Skies!
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: Knocking the dust off!

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Craig on getting out to do some observing!

These times have certainly been trying, and it's good to see you getting back into it!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Very good to hear that you are getting back into things.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Gordon wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:54 pm Congratulations Craig on getting out to do some observing!

These times have certainly been trying, and it's good to see you getting back into it!
Thanks Gordon! Looking forward to getting back out again this evening. Hopefully the forecast is accurate. :lol:
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:55 pm Very good to hear that you are getting back into things.
Thanks nFA! It’s great to be back on the forum too.
Craig
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hello Craig. I bet it really felt great to be back at the eyepiece again, even with the 8" scope. Hopefully, with the warmer weather and less humidity, more of us will get a chance to return to the skies again soon. Thanks for your well written report Craig, and I hope that you and your wife enjoy a wonderful Easter.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Good to see you out and posting a report Craig! It sounds like you had a good time too.

Sounds like your new "dark" site worked out fine.

You pulled in some nice targets. Hope that you get out tonight and get some more (and bring the towel).

I was fortunate enough to get out last night for some imaging. My Bortle 7-8 sky looked worse than that though. Well, it was good to get outside though.

Glad that life stopped throwing curveballs! Good luck and looking forward to your next report!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice to hear from you Craig, it's certainly been a while! Glad you got some observing time in as well finally. You got a nice haul there as well, especially for the first time out in a while :D

Hope the weekend works out for you and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Makuser wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:03 pm Hello Craig. I bet it really felt great to be back at the eyepiece again, even with the 8" scope. Hopefully, with the warmer weather and less humidity, more of us will get a chance to return to the skies again soon. Thanks for your well written report Craig, and I hope that you and your wife enjoy a wonderful Easter.
Thank you Marshall! I hope you and your family have a great Easter as well.
Kind of funny having the “settle” on using an 8” scope. :lol:
I’ve given myself an odd case of aperture fever and I am sure the 12” will be coming out of storage soon.
Craig
prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:12 pm Good to see you out and posting a report Craig! It sounds like you had a good time too.

Sounds like your new "dark" site worked out fine.

You pulled in some nice targets. Hope that you get out tonight and get some more (and bring the towel).

I was fortunate enough to get out last night for some imaging. My Bortle 7-8 sky looked worse than that though. Well, it was good to get outside though.

Glad that life stopped throwing curveballs! Good luck and looking forward to your next report!

Thanks Jim! I still need to find myself an officially dark observing location. I’ve spend quite a bit of time today doing some research on Google earth and looking up contact info for farms that are fully outside city limits.
Craig
prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:22 pm Nice to hear from you Craig, it's certainly been a while! Glad you got some observing time in as well finally. You got a nice haul there as well, especially for the first time out in a while :D

Hope the weekend works out for you and all the best,
Thanks Mark!
Craig
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Looking forward to reading about your future apartment / dark site / new home adventures.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome back to observing and forum Craig! Do you have any astronomical clubs nearby? Most of them have dark sites with members only access.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

It is indeed wonderful to have you back in action Craig. I have missed your contributions to our reports forum. You gave yourself a very nice dust-off indeed, with many fine galaxies to get yourself back up to speed.

Sounds like you have been through some trying times there, but you do have a plan in place, which gives one confidence moving forward. I hope you can bring the 12 inch back into the hunt sometime in the near future, but in the meantime, the 8 inch will serve you nobly in its stead.

Well done my friend. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)