Meteors in Orion

Let's see your reports!
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Meteors in Orion

Post by mikemarotta »

23 March 2021 at 2049 to 2050 Central Time, I was viewing the Belt and Sword of Orion when a meteor fell through my field of view. It happens. Then another... oh wow... then a third! Goodness gracious.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Meteors in Orion

Post by mikemarotta »

This has come up on this board, I believe, that a newbie has asked if anyone has seen a meteor fall while viewing the stars. I do not recall a lot of replies on that, but I believe that it is fairly common for being a random event.

I do not mean going out overnight for a known major shower and lying out on the deck chair. I mean having like a 1 degree or less field-of-view (FOV) and seeing a streak go through.

I have been observing regularly for about 18 months. If I can get three good nights in a row, I will go out one or more of them. Even last night - one clear night in a string of cloudy nights - I went out. If I do not have to work the next day (Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun), I will leave the telescope set up with a blanket over it and go out again at 3:00 AM if I feel like it. So, just to say, I get out to view; and in 18 months, just roughly, I have probably seen six meteor falls through my FOV. Last night's three in a row, a second or two apart, was exceptional.

(And just to note, with my F=660 mm and a standard 52-degree Ploessl 17mm ocular for 39X, I was at 1.34 degrees FOV.)
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Yes, meteors, satellites, all sort of things. I've never seen an autogyro pass through the field, though. :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mike. A nice report from you. And, I have spent hours outside looking for meteors during the showers. Mostly disappointing with my skies, yet on occasion I have seen a fireball (bolide). Thanks for your report Mike, and keep looking up.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Yes, I get them quite frequently, while doing quick glances at the sky, or through EP (binos or scopes). In fact I catch more while observing other targets than when I look for them on purpose.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

I’ve had several times where a meteor flys across my field of view. Airplanes are another thing I seem to run into as well. :D
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70
Stratman
Earth Ambassador

Post by Stratman »

mikemarotta wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:41 am 23 March 2021 at 2049 to 2050 Central Time, I was viewing the Belt and Sword of Orion when a meteor fell through my field of view. It happens. Then another... oh wow... then a third! Goodness gracious.
I saw them as well!!! I wasn;t sure if they were meteors or Satellites
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Stratman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:49 am I saw them as well!!! I wasn;t sure if they were meteors or Satellites

Yeah, the same thing occured to me, as well, because there were three in a row, like a string of satellites. I like satellites, myself, but I never mind getting stopped by a train, either. But, these, to me, were orange, irregular (not points of light) and moving downward, not across. But I thought about what I perceived, also, and considered satellites.
Michael E. Marotta
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Thanks to all. Does this speak to the commonality of meteors? After all, we are viewing under magnification and we know absolutely that the telescope reveals stars where the naked eye does not detect them. Does this apply here as well? Are meteor falls very common only we do not see them because (mostly) we are not looking and (more to the point), we are not looking through magnification ?

Some difference of opinion exists about the count of meteors.
About 25 million meteors enter the Earth's atmosphere every day (duck!). Most burn up and about 1 million kilograms of dust per day settles to the Earth's surface.
http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/ast121/lectures/lec18.html
Scientists estimate that about 48.5 tons (44,000 kilograms) of meteoritic material falls on Earth each day.
https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/asteroids- ... /in-depth/
Taking the upper figure (25*10^6) and Earth's surface area as 510 *10^6 SQ KM means that in any square 10 km on a side, five will enter your field through the course of any day.

Next question: does anyone have a meteor?
(I have several. Pictures to follow.)
Michael E. Marotta
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

I met the seller, Michael Casper, through the numismatics markets where he had his main business. He said that he fell into the meteorites and it worked out for him.
Gibeon Namibia Iron attribd.jpg
I learned from numismatics that I am not a collector. A collector's passions are for (1) Completeness, (2) Condition, (3) Rarity, and (4) Value. If you want to collect meteorites, there are a five main classes: Iron, Stoney-Iron, and Stoney; and across those, Chondrites and Achondrites. As you can see, I stopped short...
Carb Chrond Allende III CV3.jpg
But the Carbonaceous Chondrite intersects sets; and bearing carbon, as it does, speaks to the cosmological necessity of life.

Also a note about astronomy as imperialism: The Gibeon was found by white guys in 1836. Natives had been using its iron for untold millennia.
Michael E. Marotta