Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Two nights, two 60mm's, an 80mm, the Moon and the ISS

Post by Thefatkitty »

Well, that's a subject title :lol:

It's Sunday morning here for me; I hope you are having a relaxing day off as well.

Friday and Saturday have seen the temperature shoot up here. We've gone from below freezing on Thursday to 15C (`60F) starting Friday morning. With that came cloudless skies and the promise of a few good viewing nights, at least according to Cleardarksky.com. Unfortunately, the forecast didn't take into account the moisture from the melting snow and ice.

Friday night was indeed clear. Or was it? Looking to the west at about 8:30PM, I could see Orion. On a clear night I can easily pick out the nebula, as well as the Pleiades to the right of that. Tonight, it all looked fuzzy, for lack of a better term. The setting quarter Moon didn't help, but it was a nice view coupled with Mars just over 5 degrees to the right of it. I was going to bring out my orange-tube C80 to see all that and try and pick out some Messiers, but decided it wasn't worth the effort. Too much of a melt here. All that lower atmosphere moisture was making for a soupy view.

But I wanted to do something. It's been so long since I've taken a scope out...! On that note, I went and got my C80-HD (f/11.4) and my homemade Towatron 60mm at f/7.

07.png
Towatron.jpg

I hooked up my Canon 550D (T2i) to the C80 and took 20 pictures of the Moon at ISO 800 and 1/640, 1/800 and 1/1000th sec exp respectively. I then did the same with the Towatron, but at exposures of 1/320, 1/500, and 1/640th seconds. I tried to run both stacks through ImPPG and Registax, but all that did was bring out the "moisture faults", as I call them. So these are only done with PIPP and AS3. The stack from the 60mm is really bad; I like this scope better for single exposures.

ISO800_800.jpg
ISO800_800_60.jpg

The temperature was starting to drop about this time; it was almost 9:30. I was feeling a bit of a damp chill so I thought to wrap it up. I took in the C80, and went back out to get my Towatron with the camera still in it. I stepped out the back door, looked to the west, and saw the rapidly moving bright light rising... You guessed it, the ISS.

On a whim, I grabbed the Towatron, ran to the back of the yard, turned on the camera and pointed the scope at where I figured the ISS would pass by. This scope is pretty widefield; almost a 5* FOV. Looking through the camera viewfinder, I saw it go by and managed three pictures at ISO 800 and 1/320 sec exp. After that it blinked in and out as it passed by my tree and then disappeared over the roof.

I really wish the pictures had some earthbound object in them for a "reference point", but sadly they don't. This is the three images stacked; it starts from the left and about a second has passed during this:

ISS_transit.jpg

And this is one of the pics at 400X. Somewhere in those pixels is the Crew Dragon..... :lol:

ISS_400X.jpg
ISS_400X.jpg (1.97 KiB) Viewed 1690 times

After all that, I brought in the Towatron and pretty much went to bed; I was tired.

Last night (Saturday) was a repeat of Friday, so soupy out. Still, I decided to take some pics of the Moon again, but this time with my Sears No4_6331 60mm at 700mm focal length (f/11.6). It was made in the early seventies and uses a Towa doublet objective. I bought this years ago for $20, the mount was broken and I really didn't care... The only thing I did to it was blacken the outside edge of the objective lenses with a Sharpie, and made sure it was lined up with the factory marks and the lens cell when I reassembled it.

One thing about these old refractor scopes is this: Even though they came with .965" diagonals/eyepieces, I have discovered the outside diameter of the focuser tube is exactly 1.25". They all come with a drawtube, and that's where the .965" stuff happens. So, take out the drawtube, cut a piece of 2mm plastic to fit around the focuser tube, wrap it with duct tape, and there's your adapter. I used the barrel from an old 1.25 plossl eyepice for an extension tube that goes between the focuser and eyepiece/camera to bring it all to focus. Since all this has machined straight edges, it's a simple matter to butt it all up and tighten with hose clamps. I tighten those with a 1/4 nut driver instead of a flathead screwdriver as well. Just does a better job on that; more of a feel so you know it's right on the money ;)

If you're wondering if that is the counterweight and rod are from an EQ mount on the front of this mess, you would be right. It helps get the balance perfect, whether for a heavy camera or a lighter eyepiece. I know, too much homemade here... but it really works well.

Sears_01.jpg
Sears_02.jpg

I tried a few exposure settings on the Moon at ISO 800, and 1/500th of a second worked out the best. At the time I was taking those, my camera battery ran out, so I only got 11 shots. Worse still, the haze was picking up... Out of 11 pictures, I could only stack 4 of them. This is the result of that. Again, any post-processing only made it worse, so this is only with PIPP and AS3:

Sears_60mm_ISO800_500.jpg

This morning is clear and not as humid. Might make for a nicer night if it holds... I took a look to see what the Sun was up to today; there's a new spot emerging off the left of the disc that I can't see, and AR2810 is pretty much gone.

Time for more coffee and something to eat :D

Have a great day/night all!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Two nights, two 60mm's, an 80mm, the Moon and the ISS

Post by helicon »

A nice session Mark and some good photos of luna. Too bad about the haziness but that just happens sometimes. Glad that you could put your scopes through the paces.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A great story and images as usual Mark :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Good to see you out and about!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Some quality time there. Nice report and pics Mark!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Nice pics and I love the home made equipment!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. Another great report from you again. AndI like your mod to the focuser too. Very nice lunar images from you with the Canon 550D (T2i) camera. Also enjoyed the nice photos of your gear. Thanks for your fun read report Mark, and I am glad that you got some time out under the skies.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Great shots of the moon, Mark! I especially like the ingenious adapter you put together. Looks like it worked good.
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

helicon wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:46 pm A nice session Mark and some good photos of luna. Too bad about the haziness but that just happens sometimes. Glad that you could put your scopes through the paces.
Most excellent avatar there, Helicon!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

fun to read and nice pics , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

John Baars wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:37 pm Nice pics and I love the home made equipment!
He makes it seem so simple and obvious. My mind just does not work along those lines.
Every team needs a McGyver.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Mark and thanks for your usual great read accompanied by action photos.

You are a true artist in fabrication and using what is on hand. If the zombie apocalypse ever happens, you are the kind of fellow that I want to have on my team!

I know that your seeing was poor because of the moisture in the air, but don't sell yourself short. The lunar images that you shot are really nice!

Great gear photos too. Thanks Mark and take care!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/