Let's see your reports!
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Sharpless and Lynds nebulae in Orion through the binoculars

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello all,

the Bortle 3 skies, revealing the Lambda Orionis Nebula to unaided eyes, have been the last call to complete the “Phase One” of my observing project on the constellation of Orion through the binoculars. And this has been on the 2nd, 5th, and 7th March 2021.

The binoculars used have been the 10.5x70 and 15x85 (BA8),
with the filters: H-Beta 8.5nm and 12nm, and blue (RGB)CCD 400nm -510nm.

The H-Beta 8.5nm narrow passband filter has been mainly used for finding the structures in the nebulae, the H-Beta 12nm medium passband filter has been helpful for the faintest nebulae.
The blue RGB(CCD) filter has been an allrounder, and my favorite for the molecular clouds in a wide passband of the blue Rayleigh scattering.
Orion through the binoculars March 2021.jpg
Here is the documentary sketch of the nebulae observed, and of their visual appearance,

Orion through the binoculars March 2021.jpg

The first object has been the Lambda Orionis SNR Nebula (Sh2-264). This time, the task has been to see, if there are any details inside, visible through the binoculars, and if the dark patches inside the disc will become visible.

Already during the observing sessions before, I have retrieved the “forgotten” Gaze-Shajn (1955) 63 brightening. Among the brightenings at the rim, the LBN 857 has been another visible nebula.

The 10.5x70 binoculars with the 8.5nm H-Beta filters have revealed the four darkenings inside the disc, and actually better than I have expected.

And yet another surprise has been the confirmation of the brightened rim of the nebula disc through the 15x85 binoculars. This rim marks the SNR as embedded into the surrounding molecular cloud. The molecular cloud itself has not been noticed during this observing session.

Moving towards east, the LBN 908 is most probably the catalog number for the faint N-S band pointing towards the bright Betelgeuse, interrupted by a dark nebula south of the Betelgeuse, in plain language “The Betelgeuse Nebula”. To its south, this band of light widens and merges with the NE arc of the Barnard’s Loop, and with the nearby LBN 905.

Interesting has been to follow the NW arc of the Barnard’s Loop, which seems to dissipate into the Lynds nebulae LBN 885, LBN 888, LBN 892, and LBN 890, all of them comfortably visible as small bright glows in an area of bright stars (ASCC 21).

A faint and narrow stream follows the bright stars 38 Ori – 52 Ori and points towards the hardly visible dark nebula B36. I have so far not identified this stream in the catalogs.

The LBN 934 north of the Orion’s Belt is another less known extended nebula, I have paid attention during this observing project, even if already noticed in past. It’s glow looks to me like a mix of the Rayleigh scattering – often found on the molecular clouds, and of some faint HII emission.

The Barnard’s Loop then continues with its NE arc (LBN 976), and with its SE arc (LBN 988, LBN 989), the most popular section of the Barnard’s Loop, and easily visible through the binoculars, good observing conditions given.

Close to the LBN 989, the SE arc looks like bifurcating towards the west: A branch pointing towards Rigel, and the southern branch LBN 1001, at the Orion/Lepus border.
Even if this “bifurcation” can be seen both through the binoculars, and on the astrophotos, its nature still would require a confirmation by the astrophysicists. Otherwise, the LBN 1001 would be another nebula, belonging to a nebular field further towards south in Lepus.

The Sh2-278 is one of those “forgotten” nebulae, even if bright enough for the 15x85 binoculars with the H-Beta filters. It’s appearance of a “boomerang” can be already seen through the 15x85 binoculars. (The 6” F/5 refractor reveals it’s structure catalogued as LBN 960, LBN 956, LBN 964.)

The LBN 910 and LBN 915 small bright nebulae make a pair on what I have nicknamed as the “Saxophone” asterism, with its large bent bow already in Eridanus.
Both of them are easier to see through the binoculars than the nearby NGC 1788 reflection nebula.

The last object in this observing project has been the molecular and HII cloud LBN 937, which makes a large diffuse glow. The LBN 937 will be inspected in more detail during the next observing sessions.

Thank you for looking and reading,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Sharpless and Lynds nebulae in Orion through the binoculars

Post by notFritzArgelander »

A wonderful binocular exploration of Orion! Thanks.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great observations!
Never thought this all could be observed with binoculars!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

ohh wow, awsome sketch, i had to load up stellarium because wasn't too sure if we were looking at the same part of the sky !

hiden from under my nose, there's alot of stuff going in that region, there's a planetary nebula aswell "ngc 2022"

theres a nice bit of nebula at hip 25041, stellarium isn't showing any info for me though.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent session JG!

My dark site is brighter than yours ~ Bortle 4, which makes observing of larger nebulae more difficult. Still, I did manage to see hints of Barnard's Loops by holding Orion Ultrablock (UHC) filter against the ocular of Nikon 8x40 binos.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

What beautiful instruments you have JG, and what great observations. I especially appreciate your explanation of the filters used. I only have an OIII which I gather is not appropriate for these targets?
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

great report , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Thanks to all for the friendly comments, much appreciated!
The Happy Parrot wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:22 pm What beautiful instruments you have JG, and what great observations. I especially appreciate your explanation of the filters used. I only have an OIII which I gather is not appropriate for these targets?
These faint nebulae are best seen through the H-Beta filters, and maybe easiest through the 12nm Astronomik.

What is quite interesting, the both SNRs - the Lambda Orionis Nebula and the Barnard's Loop, break the rule that the SNR are better seen through the OIII filters, as the OIII doublet is due to the colisional ionization of oxygen in a rapidly expanding SNR shell.
Herewith the missing OIII doublet might indicated that the expansion has been stopped by the surrounding molecular clouds, and the energy of the expansion might be dissipating into the molecular clouds intruding from Monoceros and Aries.

I am quite curious if I can trace some of these molecular clouds during the future observing sessions,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi JG. An excellent binoculars observing report in Orion of the Sharpless and Lynd's Nebula objects from you here. This was enjoyable reading and well appreciated JG, and thanks for sharing this with us on here.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Thanks, JG, for the great report! Your sketch is a real eye opener for me. I don't think I can see any of it from my back yard, considering the direction Orion is in right now in addition to my normal light pollution, but I will give it a try. It could be that I have not seen any of that before because I have not looked for it. :)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice report JG and a great session!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congrats JG on winning the TSS Visual Report of the Day for 5-12-2021 for this classic. While Orion is not visible for us in the Northern hemisphere until early AM next fall, Southern observers with dark skies hopefully will take up the challenge as Orion rises in their skies.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Thanks! Jot just interesting report, but quite interesting targets too.
And congrats on the VROD!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations on being awarded the VROD JG!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

A very justified VROD!
A lesson for us all!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thanks for a most educational report JG!

Congrats on the VROD

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/