Observing Report for 06 March 2021 – to the right of the big tree at the southern end of the property

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 06 March 2021 – to the right of the big tree at the southern end of the property

Post by kt4hx »

As it turned out this would be our final evening at the dark site house. I was feeling a bit punk during the day Saturday and considered not going out in the evening. But about 2000 hours I finally made myself get up and move, regardless of how I felt. So I rolled the gear out to my observing site and prepped everything, then returned indoors to rest a bit more before coming out up towards 2200 when I was sure my first target constellation, Pyxis the mariner’s compass would be free of said tree, which at times frustrates my view into the lower elevations. Then as I observed there, my next constellation of interest, Antlia the air pump should have to time to partially clear the tree. Both constellations were devised by Nicolas-Louis de Lacaille in the 1751/52 timeframe.

With the naked eye I followed a line from 11 Puppis (mag 4.2) through Rho Puppis (mag 2.8) to the southeast for about 10° where I picked up the very wide pairing of Gamma and Delta Pyxidis (mag 4.0 and 4.9 respectively). Aiming the scope at these stars using the Rigel Quikfinder and then moving to the RACI optical finder I was now ready to commence my star hopping for the evening. I turned to chart 83 in the IDSA as my main chart for the outing, using both sides for my foraging on both sides of the Pyxis-Antlia border. Chart 71 was also utilized momentarily for one object. So here we go into the southern reaches of my view….

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 21mm (94x, 1.1° TFOV, 4.7mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

(Treasure found)

ESO 495-21 (Pyxis, irregular galaxy, mag=11.6, size=1.7’x1.3’, SBr=12.3):
Also catalogued as MCG -4-21-5, the IDSA utilizes the ESO designation so I will keep with their protocol. Swept up with 94x, it’s located about 3.5° northwest of Gamma Pyx and about 23.5’ WSW of Eta Pyx. I found it slightly bright despite the extinction of its low elevation (about 21°) above the horizon. Small in visual size, it presented an oval disk with a stellar core flickering at its center. Also viewed with 152x and 199x, it was quite obvious in the field, with a strong stellar core embedded within a small round central brightness inside the overall galactic halo. (New)

NGC 2717 (Pyxis, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.3, size=2.1’x1.5’, SBr=13.3):
I now moved NNE of the Gamma/Delta Pyx pair and located my next target. Easily found at 94x it presented as a slightly bright small out of round homogeneous glow. More obvious at 152x, an intermittent stellar core made its presence known. With 199x, it was bright with a weak stellar core held steadily. (New)

NGC 2888 (Pyxis, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.5’x1.1’, SBr=12.6):
Moving into eastern Pyxis near the border with Antlia, I found this small and subtly bright oval with an intermittent stellar core noted. The view was similar at 152x, though the galaxy was more apparent. Then at 199x it was an obvious oval glow with its stellar core remaining intermittent to the eye. (New)

ESO 498-4 (Pyxis, spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=2.2’x1.4’, SBr=13.4):
Heading north to where Pyxis, Antlia and Hydra meet up I searched for my next target. Just perceived at 94x as a tiny dust mote, it was easier at 152x. It presented a small and weak homogeneous oval inside of a triangle of three dim (13th and 14th mag) field stars. Even though it was easier still when viewed at 199x, it remained a weak presence in the field, diffuse and evenly illuminated. (New)

ESO 498-6 (Pyxis, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.2’x0.5’, SBr=12.1):
Not picked up at 94x, it was found using 152x as a small dim oval between two field stars (10th and 11th mag). With 199x a stellar core was spotted within its dim diffuse envelope. (New)

NGC 2891 (Pyxis, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.5’x1.4’, SBr=13.1):
Just over half a degree to the northeast of the previous object I found this lenticular. Using 94x it was a small out of round glow with an intermittent stellar core. Even at 152x it remained a bit weak, and its stellar core never held steadily. Viewing with 199x it was easier, but still a weak presence in the field, and its stellar core remained unsteady. (New)

NGC 2784 (Hydra, lenticular galaxy, mag=10.2, size=5.5’x2.2’, SBr=12.6):
As I had to cut across a corner of Hydra to continue on in Pyxis, I stopped by this galaxy along the way. Bright and large at 94x it presented a thick oval with a stellar core apparent at its center. Then at 152x and 199x a brighter central lens was detected surrounding the stellar core. This inset lens was obvious within the galaxy’s overall halo. (New)

NGC 2772 (Pyxis, spiral galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.5’x0.5’, SBr=12.4):
Picked up at 94x as only a suspected small diffuse oval, I quickly moved to 152x where its presence was confirmed. Though brighter it remained weak and homogeneous. Finally at 199x it was easily seen though still not a strong presence in the field. The lower elevations, along with the associated atmospheric extinction, were definitely having an impact on the views. (New)

ESO 564-11 (Pyxis, spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=0.8’x0.5’, SBr=11.7):
Swept up at 94x, it presented a very small oval that was subtly bright to my surprise. Bumping up to 152x it remained a small homogenous oval that was obvious within the view. Then moving to 199x, a very intermittent stellar core was noted in its center, but otherwise it remained obvious and homogeneous. (New)

I now moved into Antlia to begin my foraging for some more galaxies. Turning to chart 83-left in the IDSA I returned to Gamma Pyxidis then moved over into western Antlia to a circular asterism and turned SSE to pick up a pair of parallel north-south lines of field stars. Just east of the southern stars in these lines I quickly found my next target and one of the southern objects for this month’s TSS DSO Challenge. Read more about that here: insert link

NGC 2997 (Antlia, spiral galaxy, mag=9.5, size=8.9’x6.8’, SBr=13.7):
Using 94x and moving east from the southern end of the pair of parallel lines of stars mentioned above this beauty slid into view. Exhibiting low surface brightness, it was large in visual extent and its core contained a small concentrated non-stellar brightness. This core was wrapped in a gauzy envelope of uneven illumination or mottled appearance. Looking at 152x flashes of an intermittent stellar core popped through the concentrated brightness in its center. The structural mottling was more apparent giving rise to the strong inference of spiral structure as the eye moved across its disk. Viewing with 199x further enhanced the sense of spiral structure as the unevenness of its surface brightness detailed the transition between arms and associated dust lanes.

Overall it presented an eerie, ghostly appearance to the eye that was intriguing. Quite beautiful in appearance, it is certainly worth the effort to dig a bit deep to the south to pull out the fourth most southern object discovered by William Herschel. I can only attempt to imagine the logistical exercise it took for he and his assistant to maneuver his 18.7 inch diameter, 20 foot focal length scope so near to the horizon from his garden in Slough. After all, he was working at around 7° at culmination while comparatively, I at around a relatively roomy 20° above the horizon. Lucky me! :)

NGC 3001 (Antlia, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.9, size=2.9’x2.0’, SBr=13.5):
Okay then. Now that I revisited that marvelous galaxy, I was ready to move on with my personal journey of discovery. Less than 1° north of NGC 2997 and about 19’ southeast of a mag 6.5 field star I pinned down my next target. At 94x is presented a north-south somewhat bright oval. Subtly large in extent, there was a field star involved with its envelope. Using 152x its visual size increased and the foreground 12.5 star was imposed upon its northwest quadrant. At 199x it presented a very obvious oval that was homogeneous to the eye. The involved star was only mildly annoying and did little to distract from the galaxy’s character. (New)

NGC 2904 (Antlia, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.3, size=1.2’x0.8’, SBr=12.0):
Moving west of NGC 2997 and quickly swept up the bright wide pair Zeta 1 & 2 Antlia in the RACI. Then slipping north about 1.5° I picked up this barred lenticular. It was first seen at 94x as a very small and dim oval with a field star attached to one end. At both 152x and 199x it presented a small and homogenous oval that while easier, was still a little weak visually. (New)

ESO 434-9 (Antlia, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.1’x1.1’, SBr=13.1):
Just ENE of the previous object and in the same FOV I spotted this little round mote at 199x. It was a weak player in the field, but confirmed nonetheless. Just a dim and homogenous little dust bunny. (New)

NGC 3095 (Antlia, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.7, size=3.6’x2.0’, SBr=13.6):
Moving to the east of NGC 2997 now, I swept up several more galaxies. First up was this slightly bright and subtly large oval, which was homogeneous to the eye. Viewing with 152x and 199x I detected a dim field star at its northwestern end. It remained very obvious and evenly illuminated. (New)

NGC 3100 (Antlia, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=11.1, size=3.2’x1.7’, SBr=12.7):
Just 10’ to the southeast of the previous object and in the same field of view was this somewhat bright and subtly large oval. It contained a compact non-stellar core of increased brightness at 94x. It was blatantly obvious at 152x and 199x with its strong non-stellar core standing out nicely. This was a nice little galaxy visually and worth the effort on the down low. (New)

NGC 3108 (Antlia, lenticular galaxy, mag=11.8, size=2.5’x1.8’, SBr=13.2):
Next up was this small oval about 23’ east of NGC 3100. Slightly bright to the eye, it was evenly illuminated across its envelope at 94x. Then at 152x it was obvious within the view, and displayed a stellar core buried within the heart of its disk. The stellar core was robust at 199x, as was the galaxy’s visual presence. This was another nice treat to find in Antlia. (New)

IC 2533 (Antlia, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.0, size=1.8’x1.3’, SBr=12.7):
Almost 12.5’ north of NGC 3095 is the mag 7.2 star HD 86765. Then almost 10’ northeast of this star I found my next target. Picked up with 94x it presented a subtly bright small homogeneous oval glow. With 152x a stellar core popped out its disk, which was now an obvious oval entity within the field. The galactic disk became strongly obvious at 199x, with a strong stellar core – another nice one. (New)

NGC 3082 (Antlia, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.8’x0.7’, SBr=12.5):
Nearly 1° NNW of the previous object I landed on my next galaxy. Swept up with 94x, it was a dim and small elongated diffuse glow between a wide pair of field stars (12th and 13th mag). Oriented NNE-SSW, it lay closer to the northeastern of the two stars that framed its disk. Easier at 152x, it remained a bit weak and homogeneous overall. An intermittent stellar core popped in and out at 199x as the galaxy’s envelope became a little more obvious between the two field stars. (New)

NGC 3056 (Antlia, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=11.7, size=1.8’x1.1’, SBr=12.2):
About 43.5’ NNW of the visually weak open cluster ESO 435-9 (observed previously) I easily notched my next galaxy. Its small homogeneous oval disk was slightly bright to my eye. It lay just west of a wide pair of field stars (11th and 13th mag). With 152x an intermittent stellar core became apparent, while it became steady at 199x, with the galaxy becoming an obvious small oval presence in the view. (New)

NGC 3089 (Antlia, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.2, size=1.8’x1.0’, SBr=12.6):
Just over 1° to the east was my next find. It was slightly dim to the eye, small and oval in shape at 94x. It lay a couple of minutes west of an 8th mag field star and at 152x and 199x it was a more obvious oval glow, but remained small and homogeneous in appearance. (New)

NGC 3113 (Antlia, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.5, size=3.3’x1.1’, SBr=13.6):
Next in the bag was this barred spiral, found just over 1° east of the last object near a curving line of 7th to 11th mag field stars. However, it was not initially seen at 94x and I had to move up to 152x to tease it out of the sky. It presented a small and dim slightly elongated homogeneous glow. I also observed it with 199x and 283x, which rendered it easier, but it remained visually weak overall. Evenly illuminated it appeared more as a delicate low surface brightness ghostly apparition. (New)

NGC 3137 (Antlia, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.5, size=6.2’x2.2’, SBr=14.1):
I went looking for my next target just over 1° southeast of the previous object and found it next to a dim field star, though initially at 94x I only suspected its presence. Going ahead to 152x it presented itself as a slightly large diffuse low surface brightness oval. Though more obvious at 199x it remained evenly illuminated and a little diaphanous to the eye. (New)

NGC 3051 (Antlia, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=11.8, size=2.1’x1.9’, SBr=13.0):
Moving back to the northwest in the direction of the border with Hydra, I found my final two targets of the evening east of the 6.3 mag star HD 85725. This galaxy was spotted less than 14’ east of the star as a slightly dim and small diffuse non-stellar mote of light at 94x. It was more obvious and better defined at 152x as a rounded glow with an intermittent stellar core pinned to its center. Finally at 199x the stellar core became steady and the galaxy disk much easier as a nice round smooth puff of galactic light. (New)

NGC 3084 (Antlia, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=1.8x’1.6’, SBr=13.2):
For my final object I only had to look about 1° further ENE of NGC 3051 to a spot just under 2’ south of the Antlia-Hydra border. Picked up with 94x it was a small slightly dim oval that was diffuse in appearance. Trying with 152x and 199x, the galactic disk was obvious to the eye, it remained predominantly homogenous to my eye. Though, at times I caught hints of a very fleeting stellar core trying to pop through. (New)

And my time had come to an end. Not that they sky had changed, other than having shifted over the two hours I was out, but my exhaustion level was taking its toll. Beyond the fact that I had my first vaccine on the Wednesday before, Friday evening, we were informed by our daughter that she tested positive for COVID that day. So as each day went by for us at the dark site, we both could feel that something was amiss. I initially considered a general reaction to my first shot, but we had to eventually come to grips with the fact that we quite likely had contracted the dreaded scourge. So we made plans to sleep in as late as we could on Sunday and schedule rapid tests online for at home on Monday. We then headed home late Sunday afternoon so that our arrival would come after our grandson was in bed for the night. Unfortunately there were not locations in the region of the state where our dark site house is giving rapid tests, plus we decided if we had any issues, it would be better to be home where emergency health care is readily available. After all, we contracted it at home from our daughter.

As it turned out, and as we expected, the results were positive for us both on Monday (08 March). So over the succeeding days, we have endured the results of our exposure. I am now wrapping up my 11th day of the countdown and the 12th for my wife. Our worst impact has been an almost debilitating exhaustion. But we are both coming out from under that slowly. It’s taken me about a week to finally wrap up this report simply because I didn’t have the energy to focus on its writing. But slowly it seems better days are coming, and none too soon for us. Thanks for following along and I hope to see you back out there again sometime during the next dark cycle. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 06 March 2021 – to the right of the big tree at the southern end of the property

Post by NGC 1365 »

Thanks for sharing Alan, I planned to look at Antlia mid last week, specifically the Galaxy cluster Abell 636. set up for a predicted clear night which didn't eventuate, waited an hour and a half for it to clear, then gave up and went to bed. Hope all goes well for your family.
Ivan
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 06 March 2021 – to the right of the big tree at the southern end of the property

Post by John Donne »

I enjoyed your fine outing, Alan.

Your Covid experience on the other hand is very unfortunate. It sounds as though you are on the mend, but it will take time to gain back your full strength. I am sure you must be under special care given to timing on the vaccine and the onset of the symptoms. Take special care.
Ckear skies ! 👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

NGC 1365 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:36 am Thanks for sharing Alan, I planned to look at Antlia mid last week, specifically the Galaxy cluster Abell 636. set up for a predicted clear night which didn't eventuate, waited an hour and a half for it to clear, then gave up and went to bed. Hope all goes well for your family.
Thank you Ivan. Good luck with your Antlia Cluster observations. If I can get enough strength back to get over the dark site reasonably soon, I will try to target it myself. I know it will be compromised by the airmass that far down, but there are some brighter ones I should be able to pick up.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Donne wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:56 am I enjoyed your fine outing, Alan.

Your Covid experience on the other hand is very unfortunate. It sounds as though you are on the mend, but it will take time to gain back your full strength. I am sure you must be under special care given to timing on the vaccine and the onset of the symptoms. Take special care.
Ckear skies ! 👍
Thank you John. Well, there is no special care related to my having already had the first shot. Just a coincidental thing that we did not foresee of course. Since I've already started the series, the recommendation is to complete it as scheduled. We are doing well, and sure we know it takes a bit of time to come back to full strength, especially at our age. But we are confident we will feel a lot better by the end of the month.
Alan

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's not a bad collection of targets for a man who left his sick bed to get to his telescope!

Thanks for the report. I hope you're feeling less exhausted soon.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Thanks for the adventure, Alan! :)
Unless you use a voice recorder, I do not understand how you can remember all the details you do to write them down a week later, while ill. It sounds to me like you are on the mend, if you can pop the cores out of several galaxies and describe another as diaphanous. I had to stop and look that word up!!! :think:

I hope you can get back out there soon, but be a bit cautious, you do not need a relapse!
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:30 am That's not a bad collection of targets for a man who left his sick bed to get to his telescope!

Thanks for the report. I hope you're feeling less exhausted soon.

Regards

Graeme
Thank you Graeme. Well I was not in my sick bed per se. Admittedly I was feeling a bit funky, but I felt I could manage to scrape together a couple of hours after having rested into the early evening. I guess one might see it as having a hearty constitution, while another might feel I have more than a few screws that are a few turns short of tight! :) In retrospect, yeah, I could be dedicated to my art to a fault. :think:
MistrBadgr wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:36 am Thanks for the adventure, Alan! :)
Unless you use a voice recorder, I do not understand how you can remember all the details you do to write them down a week later, while ill. It sounds to me like you are on the mend, if you can pop the cores out of several galaxies and describe another as diaphanous. I had to stop and look that word up!!! :think:

I hope you can get back out there soon, but be a bit cautious, you do not need a relapse!
Thank you Bill. Actually no, I do not use a voice recorder. I utilize cheap spiral notebooks (we have a bunch left over from when our girls were in school) in which I scribble field notes using my own quick scrawl. Admittedly sometimes it takes me a few moments to decipher something I wrote in haste under a red light. I have been using this same system for quite some time. Nothing fancy, but it works. Typically I start writing the report the next day, but this one drug out a bit. Usually I can recall specific details in some objects that particularly catch my attention for a day or two later. It is not unusual for me to make a notation to "check" some objects after the fact for those types of detail that seem unusual or initially out of place. So that is why I did not have any problems stepping away from the notes for a few days to rest my brain. :)

But agreed, best not to push it very hard for a while yet.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Great observations.
We shall overcome and observe! Chapeau!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:47 pm Great observations.
We shall overcome and observe! Chapeau!
Thank you John. If I felt I didn't have it in me to get out there for a couple of hours then I would not have. Given how this has all played out, I am glad I did so.
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. A great report from you on your last night at the dark site. And, you grabbed many nice objects in Pyxis. It was a pleasure following your latest report, as they are all great and informative. Thanks for your report Alan and I hope that your health and energy return to full strength again soon, so that you can get back out under the skies.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Treasures indeed!

For feeling "punk", you managed a lengthy collection!

Outstanding Alan. Hopefully, one day, I will get the opportunity to observe targets like this from a dark location.

Sounds like a very nice last evening!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:37 pm Hi Alan. A great report from you on your last night at the dark site. And, you grabbed many nice objects in Pyxis. It was a pleasure following your latest report, as they are all great and informative. Thanks for your report Alan and I hope that your health and energy return to full strength again soon, so that you can get back out under the skies.
Thank you Marshall. I appreciate you coming along with me on my little jaunt through part of Pyxis and Antlia. :)
Juno16 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:37 pm Treasures indeed!

For feeling "punk", you managed a lengthy collection!

Outstanding Alan. Hopefully, one day, I will get the opportunity to observe targets like this from a dark location.

Sounds like a very nice last evening!
Thank you Jim. Well you know, I wish everyone here could experience the joys of observing from a truly dark location. Our precious resource of dark skies continue to shrink in this country and far too many have never or rarely experienced the level of satisfaction that comes from working under those kind of skies. I know I feel indeed fortunate to have easy access to the dark skies that I do at our other house.
Alan

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Great report Alan :)
Glad the tree didn't get the best of you ☺️
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Ylem wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:13 am Great report Alan :)
Glad the tree didn't get the best of you ☺️
Thank you Jeff. You notice that I waited for them to move away from the tree though! :lol: I know an immovable object when I see one. The good thing is at the moment, because there are no leaves it doesn't present the same opaque barrier that it will later on! Things can be seen through the outer reaches of the branches presently at least.
Alan

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Alan, how are you doing this...?? You need to rest; at least I think :D However, nice haul for the evening, and I can see why it took so long to write this up!
Hope you & Mary and your daughter are doing progressively better; it sounds like it so far.

Been thinking about you folks, take care of yourselves and I look forward to your next "well" outing. And I hear you on the tree thing; got one myself :lol:

All the best buddy,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Sorry to hear about your COVID encounter Alan. Sounds that you are getting better and I wish you and your family speedy recovery.

Impressive haul of galaxies from a seldom visited area. I only managed so far one galaxy in Pyx - NGC2613 and one in Ant - NGC2997. :)

I also hear you on the tree. Our property has a huge beautiful holly oak tree. Judging by the size it is close to 100 years. Our neighbors to the south have a few fully grown pines, and to the northeast have a fully grown ash tree and amazingly large acacia tree. I did not even know they could grow that big. All these trees block some views, but they are beautiful and add the character to the area. I would never take a saw to any.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thefatkitty wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:54 am Alan, how are you doing this...?? You need to rest; at least I think :D However, nice haul for the evening, and I can see why it took so long to write this up!
Hope you & Mary and your daughter are doing progressively better; it sounds like it so far.

Been thinking about you folks, take care of yourselves and I look forward to your next "well" outing. And I hear you on the tree thing; got one myself :lol:

All the best buddy,
Thank you Mark. I am a tough old goat! :lol: Actually those three nights of observing were all before the COVID monster got its firm grip on us. I was starting to feel a bit peaked, but doing two hours at a time wasn't too bad. But of course I haven't done anything like that since we got home. Just taking it easy. I am in day 14 and Mary in 15. The daughter is fine as is her husband. Our grandson was the real trooper, as he never skipped a beat at four years old. We are mending well, just fighting some of the tiredness now, but otherwise feeling good. :)
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:15 pm Sorry to hear about your COVID encounter Alan. Sounds that you are getting better and I wish you and your family speedy recovery.

Impressive haul of galaxies from a seldom visited area. I only managed so far one galaxy in Pyx - NGC2613 and one in Ant - NGC2997. :)

I also hear you on the tree. Our property has a huge beautiful holly oak tree. Judging by the size it is close to 100 years. Our neighbors to the south have a few fully grown pines, and to the northeast have a fully grown ash tree and amazingly large acacia tree. I did not even know they could grow that big. All these trees block some views, but they are beautiful and add the character to the area. I would never take a saw to any.
Thank you Andrey. Yeah we are doing well, just feeling the tiredness at this point.

Antlia is a fine galaxy field, its unfortunate that it lays so low. Of course it in turns leads into northern Centaurus, which is an absolutely primo galaxy laden constellation! :)

The tree there is a big 'un for sure, a big old oak. I have taken a saw to it but only on some lower branches that were encroaching out into the road that goes by the house and that were also blocking the view south at the end of the drive way when it was leafed out. So I only do what it needs from a safety standpoint.
Alan

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

@kt4hx
NGC 2997 (Antlia, spiral galaxy, mag=9.5, size=8.9’x6.8’, SBr=13.7):
Using 94x and moving east from the southern end of the pair of parallel lines of stars mentioned above this beauty slid into view. Exhibiting low surface brightness, it was large in visual extent and its core contained a small concentrated non-stellar brightness. This core was wrapped in a gauzy envelope of uneven illumination or mottled appearance. Looking at 152x flashes of an intermittent stellar core popped through the concentrated brightness in its center. The structural mottling was more apparent giving rise to the strong inference of spiral structure as the eye moved across its disk. Viewing with 199x further enhanced the sense of spiral structure as the unevenness of its surface brightness detailed the transition between arms and associated dust lanes.

Overall it presented an eerie, ghostly appearance to the eye that was intriguing. Quite beautiful in appearance, it is certainly worth the effort to dig a bit deep to the south to pull out the fourth most southern object discovered by William Herschel. I can only attempt to imagine the logistical exercise it took for he and his assistant to maneuver his 18.7 inch diameter, 20 foot focal length scope so near to the horizon from his garden in Slough. After all, he was working at around 7° at culmination while comparatively, I at around a relatively roomy 20° above the horizon. Lucky me! :)
Alan,
This comment in your report struck me. From my latitude, the Andromeda galaxy transits at 12 -14 degrees depending whether you are north or south of Canberra. South of Canberra, you have to look through the Canberra lightdome unless you are far south. With my 18 inch "8.5 foot" telescope, it is a very comfortable view both feet firmly planted on the ground, even sitting sometimes. Certainly more comfortable than the nosebleed inducing altitudes I have to ascend to, to look at Eta Carina, Omega Centauri, or the Magellanic Clouds at transit. In fact I usually wait until they get a bit lower. It's a bit precarious standing so high up a ladder. I found a drawing of Herschel's 20 foot scope.
Herschel-18.7in-20ft-scope.gif
Herschel-18.7in-20ft-scope.gif (77.15 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
All I can say is that we've come a long way in telescope design and compactness.

This is a photo of my 8 foot scope. The ladder is 1.8m / 6ft
Koorawatha-7209.jpg
The back yard has a slope. The scope is located on a small bare patch that is moderately level but the ground immediately behind the scope rises. The ground in front of the scope is relatively flat. I have used that slope to advantage to reduce the amount of ladder time required on observing nights.

Thanks as alway for your report Alan. Always interesting reading and worth keeping - I save some of your and Andrey's observing reports and extract interesting/challenging targets from them.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)