Observing Report for 05 March 2021 - cruisin' with the cats

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 05 March 2021 - cruisin' with the cats

Post by kt4hx »

The second night of our stay at the dark site house had the promise of decent transparency and poor seeing. The cloud situation was better when I ventured forth about 1945 hours as the sky was filled with diamonds, and the winter Milky Way was an obvious faint band across the sky from NNW to SSE. The temperature was near 30° (F) with a wind chill around 19° (F).

As I exited the garage to head around the corner to where I always set up the scope (and I noticed this the previous evening), I felt my sensitivity to the cold was more pronounced than it was a month ago. The only thing that has changed was having had my first COVID vaccination two days prior. The whole time I was out this second evening it seemed I was chilled, and even my hands were cold though I wore gloves about 95% of the time. The wind was particularly biting to me this evening. I don’t know if there is any basis in fact for this, but just something I noticed.

Regardless of the cold and general feeling of fatigue that was a carryover from the previous day, I carried on with my observing. My intent was to hit three galaxy clusters in Lynx as well as a galaxy group, and then see where my wanders took me. In the end, I spent just over two hours out before cold and fatigue got the better of me. Clouds were present from time to time, but not to the same extent as the previous evening.

I would only spend time in one of the galaxy clusters, which was not excessively elevated, allowing me to keep my feet on the ground. The other planned targets were high enough that I would have had to utilize the step stool to reach the eyepiece and I simply did not wish to expend the extra energy to constantly go up and down to make notes. Hopefully I can hit them again another evening by starting a bit later in order for them to move away from the zenith more. Simply put, I just felt a general sense of tiredness, so I tried to make my efforts easier in order to be more productive. So let’s get cracking and see what happened in another short but sweet session.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 21mm (94x, 1.1° TFOV, 4.7mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

(Treasure found)

Abell 779 (Lynx, galaxy cluster, size=50.4’, number of galaxies=32):
Aiming the scope at mag 3.1 Alpha Lyncis, I slipped about 40’ SSW to the field for this galaxy cluster. About four years ago I observed the first two objects below about four years ago with the 12 inch from our typical suburban backyard. Now it was time to return to the field with the 17.5 inch from dark skies and dig deeper into this cluster.

NGC 2832 (Lynx, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.9, size=3.0’x2.0’, SBr=13.6):
NGC 2831 (Lynx, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.3, size=0.5’x0.5’, SBr=11.5):

Quickly finding the field in the RACI, I moved to the eyepiece (94x) and immediately spotted the cluster’s brightest member, NGC 2832. It presented a rounded small halo with a stellar core embedded within it. The stellar core of NGC 2831 was noted in the southwestern quadrant of NGC 2832 where the two galaxies overlapped. They appeared as a hazy double star. Viewed at 152x and 199x they were quite prominent, with the larger galaxy clearly dominating the field. But now it was time to find some of the galaxies I did not during my previous observation.

NGC 2830 (Lynx, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=13.9, size=1.2’x0.3’, SBr=12.5):
Staying at 152x I noticed a very dim thin sliver of diffuse light immediate southwest of the central pair. It was quite diffuse and even at 199x it remained homogenous. (New)

NGC 2834 (Lynx, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.5, size=0.6’x0.5’, SBr=12.5):
About 4’ southeast of the central pair I pinned down another pretty dim glow. Round in shape it remained a homogenous dust bunny even at 199x. (New)

NGC 2839 (Lynx, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.2, size=0.9’x0.9’, SBr=13.7):
Almost 8’ to the southeast of the previous galaxy, I pinned down this dim and small round puff of light. Like most of the galaxies, while dim it was not difficult to see and even at 199x remained homogenous to the eye. (New)

NGC 2825 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.9’x0.4’, SBr=13.0):
Returning to the central pair, I nudged west and about 5’ out I noticed this small and dim oval glow. Evenly illuminated across its disk, it remained dim but easily seen at 199x. (New)

NGC 2826 (Lynx, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.6’x0.3’, SBr=12.6):
About 7’ to the south of the previous object I located this very thin sliver of light. With 152x it was a diffuse finger, with no internal brightness noticed. At 199x it was easily seen but remained homogenous. (New)

LEDA 139185 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=15.1, size=0.7’x0.5’, SBr=13.6):
Just 3’ NNE of NGC 2825 I had to study the field a bit for this very dim spiral. Using 152x up to 283x it was nothing more than an intermittent oval breath on a mirror. It could not be held 100% of the time, but as I alternated between direct and averted vision, it would momentarily make its presence know. This was a real toughie. (New)

NGC 2827 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=14.6, size=0.6’x0.3’, SBr=13.0):
Also catalogued as IC 2460 because of a duplicate discovery using an incorrect position, I located it almost 10’ northwest of the central pair. Pretty dim and tiny, it was an oval in shape. Studied up to 283x it remained a subtle homogenous mote. (New)

NGC 2828 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=14.7, size=0.4’x0.2’, SBr=12.0):
Over 3’ east of NGC 2827 and in the same FOV, I picked up another pretty dim and pretty small glow. Slightly oval in shape it was similar in appearance to the previous galaxy but slightly easier due to its brighter surface brightness. (New)

NGC 2833 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=14.6, size=0.9’x0.3’, SBr=13.1):
Just under 5.5’ to the ENE of the previous galaxy I picked up another dim dust bunny. Homogenous in appearance, it still was not exceedingly difficult to discern in the dark sky. Oval in shape it was of similar appearance to the previous two. (New)

NGC 2823 (Lynx, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.6, size=0.9’x0.5’, SBr=13.5):
Just over 9.5’ northwest of NGC 2833 and forming a galactic triangle with the previous three, I pinned down another small and dim oval. As with the others it remained a homogenous little mote visually. (New)

MCG +6-21-6 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=14.8, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=13.6):
Moving to the western side of the cluster field, almost 13’ to the southwest of the previous galaxy, I studied the field for a pair of galaxies just over 2’ apart. The easternmost was this very dim and small rounded mote. Viewing up to 283x it was only an intermittent presence in the field. Never held steadily, rather drifting in and out of view. (New)

MCG +6-21-4 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=14.5, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=13.3):
Immediately to the west of the previous object and in the same field of view, this small rounded dust bunny looked almost like its twin. It would also not stay visible 100% of the time, but did drift in and out of view repeatedly. Both were very threshold and very tough. (New)

I spent over half an hour in the field of this galaxy cluster ferreting out some of its member star islands. So I took a momentary break before heading into Leo to take another look at NGC 2903 before I worked around the lion’s head. After sitting a couple of minutes to rest and have a quick drink of water, I resumed my foraging.

NGC 2903 (Leo, barred galaxy, mag=9.0, size=12.6’x6.0’, SBr=13.4):
I revisited this bright and large galaxy for the second evening in a row. Conditions were a little better this evening, and it showed with this galaxy. Its delicate spiral structure was more apparent, and the bright HII region, NGC 2503 was visually stronger and slightly curved. It was viewed at 94x to 199x, and it was a fine sight indeed.

NGC 3098 (Leo, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.0, size=2.2’x0.6’, SBr=12.2):
Moving on, just over a third of the way from Mu to Zeta Leonis in the head, I swept up this small but somewhat bright thin sliver using 94x. Trying both 152x and 199x, it was small but quite easily seen. Within its slender envelope lay a stellar core was readily apparent. (New)

UGC 5420 (Leo, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.0’x0.7’, SBr=13.0):
About 2.5° SSE of the previous object I located this small lenticular at a small and dim rounded glow. Viewing with 152x and 199x, it remained small and easier to see, while a stellar core made its presence known. (New)

NGC 3088 (Leo, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.8, size=0.9’x0.8’, SBr=12.0):
MCG +4-24-11 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=15.0, size=0.5’x0.1’, SBr=11.5):

Just over half a degree west of the last object I picked up the next one. At 94x it was a small rounded puff of dim homogenous light. Trying at 152x it remained weak but still easily seen. At times I caught a hint of slight elongation to the galaxy’s disk as if some more of its envelope was being picked up. At 199x and 283x, there was definitely some very faint extension to the galaxy disk showing. As I found out after the fact, this little bit of extension was in fact a second galaxy in contact with NGC 3088. MCG +4-24-11 was never more than a very weak threshold presence, adding subtle extension to the primary galaxy. It is sometimes incorrectly referred to as NGC 3088B. (New-2)

IC 2520 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=12.2):
About 1.5° northeast of Mu Leonis, I located this very small rounded glow with 94x. It presented dim and small rounded homogenous glow just east of a field star. At 152x it was more obvious and easily seen though it remained diffuse. Using 199x I caught flashes of an intermittent stellar core popping in and out. (New)

NGC 3032 (Leo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.7’x1.3’, SBr=13.1):
Just over 2° NNW of the last object I located this little out of round glow nestled between two field stars (9th and 10th mag). Generally dim to the eye, the two stars framing it were slightly distracting. Pushing up to 152x and 199x, a stellar core was revealed in the center of its disk. Though it remained slightly dim, it was obvious within the field. (New)

NGC 2991 (Leo, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.4’x1.1’, SBr=12.8):
Moving south of the lion’s head and about 3° east of NGC 2903, I swept up this galaxy. I found it slightly bright and homogenous to the eye. At 152x and 199x it presented an obvious oval envelope with a stellar core pinned to its center. It forms a contact pair with NGC 2988 at its western edge, but I was never able to confirm its presence. I am almost certain I was picking up some of the light from this mag 14.8 companion, but could never confirm it to my satisfaction. (New)

NGC 2994 (Leo, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.3’x1.0’, SBr=13.1):
About 7.5’ northeast of the previous object and in the same FOV, I picked up this small oval homogenous object. It remained similar at 152x, an evenly illuminated small oval disk. Then at 199x, and intermittent stellar core made an appearance. (New)

UGC 5470 (Leo, dwarf spheroidal galaxy, mag=10.2, size=10.7’x8.3’, SBr=14.8):
This member of the Local Group of Galaxies, known as Leo I, is a notoriously challenging object, due to its proximity to Regulus and its low surface brightness. One has to be cautious of glaring and light scatter from the star. Playing with magnification (94x to 283x) to try and keep Regulus out of the field I studied the area just north of the bright star and northwest of a hook of five stars (10th and 12th mag). Letting my eye relax, alternating between direct and averted vision and employing my Orion Sky Glow filter to give a subtle contract boost, I finally picked up its presence. At best it was only a very subtle largish oval of soft light. Always tenuous, it was nonetheless seen clearly multiple times. (New)

IC 591 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.0’x0.7’, SBr=12.6):
When I initially began studying the area north of Regulus for Leo I, I encountered a smaller dim oval glow that I mistakenly thought might be my target. But looking at the surrounding star field I realized that it was in the wrong spot for Leo I. So I inadvertently came across this little spiral. Observed at 152x to 283x, it presented a small and dim homogenous oval. It remained a weak player in the field. (New)

NGC 3107 (Leo, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.4, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=12.2):
Nearly 2° northwest of Regulus I corralled this lenticular with 94x. It presented a very small round dim disk that was evenly illuminated. It was positioned next to a bright 7th mag field star. Viewed with both 152x and 199x it was obvious but remained small and homogeneous. Initially I thought this one was not in my log, but I found that I had indeed observed it almost two years ago with the 12 inch from our suburban backyard.

NGC 3080 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=0.9’x0.8’, SBr=13.0):
Just over 1° to the southwest of the last object I found my next one. Initially at 94x I was uncertain if I was catching momentary glimpses of this spiral or not so I moved on to 152x. I know had a more certain suspicion that it was in the field, though it remained a weak intermittent homogenous mote. Using 199x its presence was confirmed as a small round disk. Trying at 283x it was easier but still remained weak within the field. (New)

IC 585 (Leo, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.3’x0.8’, SBr=13.2):
Almost 4.5’ southwest of NGC 3080, and in the same field of view, I spotted this lenticular at 199x while looking the other galaxy. It was similarly small, but more oval shaped, and homogeneous to the eye. With 283x it was easily seen though remained slightly weak visually. (New)

NGC 3070 (Leo, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.9’x0.6’, SBr=12.7):
I nudged southwest to mag 5.3 Nu Leonis, then 2° south to find my next target. Easily spotted with 94x it was a small oval that was slightly dim to the eye, and contained a stellar core in its center. Viewed at both 152x and 199x it stood out well in the field. Its halo remained diffuse, with the stellar core sparkling through. (New)

IC 577 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=14.0, size=0.6’x0.6’, SBr=12.6):
My final object for this outing was located about half a degree WNW of the previous object. Studying the field, it was unseen at 94x. Then at 152x it was weakly confirmed, as a very dim round mote. Using 199x it was easier, but still weak, and revealed a stellar core within its envelope. Interestingly I found later that another galaxy, IC 578 lay nearby, but since it was not plotted in the IDSA, I did not specifically look for it. Tired as I was, it simply escaped my attention. (New)

For the last several minutes I was looking for a jumping off point as I was getting tired of the cold and general fatigue was taking its toll on me. I could tell my ability to focus my mind to the task at hand was also suffering. So about 2200 hours I said enough was enough and brought my gear back into the garage and headed in for the blessed warmth of the house and company of my beloved. Thanks for following along, and hope to see you back out there soon.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 05 March 2021 -

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Another fine evening from the dark site. Congratulations, especially on teasing out Leo I!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 05 March 2021 -

Post by kt4hx »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:20 pm Another fine evening from the dark site. Congratulations, especially on teasing out Leo I!
Thanks nFA. Despite my increasing fatigue, it was a good evening out. As I always say, if galaxies are seen, then it was a worthwhile effort. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Re: Observing Report for 05 March 2021 - cruisin' with the cats

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A most excellent report Alan!
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:01 pm A most excellent report Alan!
Thank you Gabrielle. Obviously, for better or worse, I am not ready to go down to the epizootic without a fight! :smile:
Alan

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

It is nice that you have access to your dark site, we only have one official location and it is on the other side of the country from me.
Once things become a bit more normal I think a re-visit will be good.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Great session Alan!
Glad you could go out even you felt not well. The Force of the Universe must be strong...
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Another great session and observing report from you. You really grabbed a big handful of gems from old Leo nicely. Thanks for your great report Alan, and I hope that the side effects from the Covid vaccine are minimal and subside very soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:13 pm It is nice that you have access to your dark site, we only have one official location and it is on the other side of the country from me.
Once things become a bit more normal I think a re-visit will be good.
I do feel fortunate that we have a place that is ours, where we can go any time the mood strikes. We have all the comforts of home and I can leave my gear there full-time. Having some place rural to go, with low population, no industry and a quiet peaceful setting is nice to have. I hope you can get to yours sometime in the not too distant future. It is cathartic in many ways.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:19 pm Great session Alan!
Glad you could go out even you felt not well. The Force of the Universe must be strong...
Thank you John. I admit I felt tired and wondered if I should not go out. But every evening was mainly clear and it was difficult to deny myself. :)
Makuser wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:57 pm Hi Alan. Another great session and observing report from you. You really grabbed a big handful of gems from old Leo nicely. Thanks for your great report Alan, and I hope that the side effects from the Covid vaccine are minimal and subside very soon.
Thank you Marshall. Hopefully it will not be too long before this is all unpleasant memory and life returns to normal - at least in the context of what it was before the shot. :)
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent session Alan! I only caught NGC 2903 of your list. However, quite few are on my H2,500. Hope to get to them this year.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:03 pm Excellent session Alan! I only caught NGC 2903 of your list. However, quite few are on my H2,500. Hope to get to them this year.
Thank you Andrey. There certainly is no shortage of things to observe up there, especially when it comes to galaxies. :)
Alan

MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Thanks for the report Alan! Quite frankly, I am stunned at the small size of some of the objects you observed. The little one sort of attached to NGC 3088, 0.5' by 0.1', Wow! I simply had not thought about finding dim objects that small, even at a dark site. Thanks for enlightening me! :)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

MistrBadgr wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:15 am Thanks for the report Alan! Quite frankly, I am stunned at the small size of some of the objects you observed. The little one sort of attached to NGC 3088, 0.5' by 0.1', Wow! I simply had not thought about finding dim objects that small, even at a dark site. Thanks for enlightening me! :)
Thanks Bill. Basically, it was only a very dim very small extension to the disk of NGC 3088 at an odd angle to the major axis of the primary galaxy. Since they are a contact pair, I couldn't split them as two separate objects. Rather as I increased magnification, the dimmer contact partner became apparent as that odd-angled extension to NGC 3088. It sometimes comes down to how we interpret what we see. The additional extension seemed out of place to me and in trying to correlate it to something structural I found out that it was another galaxy while researching each target. It was purely a threshold object and I suspect had its surface brightness been a little lower, then it would have gone unseen entirely.

Reminds me of the time over seven years ago while I was observing from our suburban backyard with the 10 inch on a night of superb transparency. I was observing the bright galaxy NGC 1023 in Perseus. As I increased magnification, I began to suspect a very dim, oddly shaped extension at its eastern tip of its disk that gave it a very slight hooked view. Per usual I made a note to check this afterwards. Sure enough, the companion galaxy, mag 13.8 PGC 10139, known informally as NGC 1023A was exactly where I suspected this oddity was seen and would account for it.

Sometimes we happen upon those little details that turn out to be a real pleasant surprise. :)
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Hi Alan, congrats on winning the VROD for your great report (6-25-2021). I do realize it's now summer and folks are going to have to wait awhile til Lynx and Leo are visible again (perhaps early AM in October/November) but nice effort!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Wow! That's one productive evening 🙂

Well written report Alan :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:52 pm Hi Alan, congrats on winning the VROD for your great report (6-25-2021). I do realize it's now summer and folks are going to have to wait awhile til Lynx and Leo are visible again (perhaps early AM in October/November) but nice effort!

Thanks Michael, appreciate being selected. I've been a bit busy with various things here and running behind regarding the site.

Ylem wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:22 am Wow! That's one productive evening 🙂

Well written report Alan :)

Thank you Jeff. I like productive evenings! :)
Alan