Observing Report for 04 March 2021 - short but sweet

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 04 March 2021 - short but sweet

Post by kt4hx »

We headed over to the dark site house for two or three nights as the skies were forecast to be clear-ish for at least a portion of the time. After an extended period of rain and clouds it was nice to see the Sun again! Hopefully some stars as well. Anyway, the first night’s forecast a bit of a mixed bag across several sites, but I was willing to give it a try nonetheless. The temperature was around 30° (F) with wind chills around 19° (F). At least the wind was not steady! Transparency was forecast as above average while seeing was to be poor. So let’s see what happened, shall we?

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 21mm (94x, 1.1° TFOV, 4.7mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

(Treasure found)

Messier 67 / NGC 2682 (Cancer, open cluster, mag=6.9, size=25.0’, class=II2m):
After aligning the finder scopes and main scope, it was about half an hour before true astronomical darkness, so I decided to warm my observing eye up with this fine cluster. Easily spotting M44 in Cancer with the naked eye, I quickly aimed the scope in its direction using the Rigel Quikfinder. Moving to the RACI, M44 was a bright rounded hazy patch from which I moved about 2° SSE to pick up mag 3.9 Delta Cancri. Continuing on in the same direction with the RACI for just over 7°, I stopped on mag 4.3 Alpha Cancri, with 60 Cancri (mag 5.4) also in the field 40’ to the WSE. Shifting my focus in the finder to the west of 60 Cnc I picked up a small hazy patch of starlight – my target.

I had already dropped in the 13mm Ethos (152x) in the focuser and now moved to it. The cluster was front and center in the view, presenting a beautiful array of shimmering embers scattered across a goodly portion of the 0.7° TFOV. The brightest star in the view, mag 7.8 HD 75700 marked the northeastern edge of the cluster field with the main body of cluster members presented a broad and gently sweeping curve from that star through the field’s center on toward the southwest. To the east and southeast, there was a slight void of lower stellar density that separated the main body from a NNE to SSW trickle of 10th magnitude and dimmer stars. Overall the cluster presented a feast of easily over 100 stellar jewels ranging from 7th to 15th magnitude. It was truly a feast for the eyes, presenting magnificently in the large scope.

NGC 2661 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.4’x1.3’, SBr=13.2):
I noticed in the IDSA that this galaxy was just 1.5° northwest of M67, so even though it was not quite truly dark, why not? I remained at 152x after leaving the cluster, and star hopped to the field using the RACI. Moving to the eyepiece, I picked up a small and slightly dim oval that was homogenous in appearance. It was just east of an 11th mag field star, and at 199x, its appearance remained similar. Not overly bright nor overly dim overall and easily spotted. (New)

IC 2392 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=0.6’x0.5’, SBr=12.0):
In the atlas, before moving back to M44, I noticed this galaxy just north of Delta Cancri. Since it was getting very close to astronomical darkness, I thought I would give it a go before moving on. Easily locating the field I studied it with 152x for a bit. After a few moments, I suspected the presence of a very small and dim round homogenous dust bunny. Dropping in the XW10 (199x) I confirmed its presence, though it remained weak. Even with the XW7 (283x), though more easily seen, it remained a weak diffuse rounded glow. (New)

Messier 44 / NGC 2632 (Cancer, open cluster, mag=3.1, size=1.2°, class=II2m):
Not much to say about this cluster. It is a winter and spring stable for many. A full half hour before astronomical darkness I was able to discern it easily with the naked eye. Through the RACI finder it was a large and bright diffuse glow. Then through the 21mm Ethos (94x) it was right in my face. Spread across and over spilling the field of view with numerous bright stars and a multitude of dimmer ones. It was difficult to get a handle on its real beauty in the big scope. This cluster is more that friend of binoculars or smaller wide-field apertures. Nonetheless, I was here for a reason – the treasure that lurks amongst those stars. This bounty is an east-west string of six galaxies (all in the NGC/IC) that bisects the cluster’s center stretching across the diameter of its field. To be sure there are a few other galaxies in there, but these are the cream of the crop – if one could call them that!

NGC 2624 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.6’x0.5’, SBr=12.5):
Starting at the western edge of the cluster and using a close-in chart of the cluster field showing the galaxies (made with Sky Tools 3), I started my slow hunt among the stars of M44. My first quarry was this diminutive mote just inside the cluster’s field. It was only a suspected presence at 94x, but confirmed using 152x. Even at 199x, it was nothing more than a very small and diffuse rounded dust mote. (New)

NGC 2625 (Cancer, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.9, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=12.7):
Immediately east of the previous galaxy and in the same FOV, I detected this dim blip at 152x – barely. Even at 199x, it was very weak. Rounded and homogenous in appearance, it did reveal an intermittent stellar core within its glow. (New)

IC 2388 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=14.7, size=0.4’x0.2’, SBr=11.7):
Continuing my very slow creep eastward, about 22.5’ from the last object, I studied the field near a tight triangle of three cluster members. Using 152x at best I only caught a brief suspicion of a dim mote at the appropriate location. Even at 199x it was not seen 100% of the time, but was definitely confirmed as a tiny rounded diffuse glow – clearly non-stellar. Even trying at 283x, it remained quite weak visually, but again, confirmed within the field. (New)

NGC 2637 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=14.7, size=0.6’x0.4’, SBr=12.9):
Another 18’ to the east, I searched for the next galaxy in the conga line. Suspected at 152x, its presence was confirmed with 199x as a very small and very dim rounded dust bunny within the field. (New)

NGC 2643 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=14.9, size=0.6’x0.4’, SBr=13.1):
Studying the field another 9’ to the east, this was another one merely suspected at 152x, lying just northwest of an 11th cluster star. At 199x and even more so at 283x it was confirmed as a painfully dim rounded tiny mote that formed a triangle with the aforementioned star and a dim 14th mag cluster star just to the galaxy’s NNE. (New)

NGC 2647 (Cancer, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.8’x0.5’, SBr=13.0):
I finally reached the eastern edge of M44, a north-south pair of 9th mag stars. Just to their north was an east-west pair of 12th mag stars with a 13th mag star just to their north. I studied the area just west of this 13th mag star for my final galaxy in the string of six. Using 94x, I was able to pick up its very faint slightly oval glow. Small in size, with 152x and intermittent stellar core was detected. Then viewed with 199x, its oval shape was more defined and the stellar core was steady within its small disk. (New)

NGC 2903 (Leo, barred galaxy, mag=9.0, size=12.6’x6.0’, SBr=13.4):
Clouds were becoming an issue at this point so I wanted to quickly hit the last of the northern DSO challenges for March. Aiming the scope at mag 3.0 Epsilon Leonis (Algenubi) I nudged WSW to pick up mag 4.3 Lambda Leonis (Alterf). In the RACI I easily spotted the wide east-west pair of stars (mag 6th and 7th) to its south. Just south of the eastern star of the pair, I picked up a dim and very small hazy patch – my target. Moving to the 21mm Ethos (94x) I had this fine galaxy in the view. Large and bright, it presented an oval elongated about 2x1. It seemed slightly mottled and not as robust as I’ve seen it before, given the intrusion of clouds. At 152x, the HII region NGC 2905 was easily spotted at the northeastern end of the central bar. The mottled appearance intensified, hinting at its spiral structure, but this was more inferred than truly seen. Viewing briefly at 199x, NGC 2905 stood out well within the disk, which was now very heavily curdled in appearance. Not the best view I’ve had of this beauty, but still quite pleasing indeed.

Clouds were starting to become problematic, and in the moment I didn’t realize this would be my final object for the evening. It is one thing to battle clouds in nice weather, but doing so in the cold air of late winter was not something I wished to do. A combination of the three to four hour drive over from home and some general tiredness as a side effect from having my first COVID shot the previous day told me it was a good quitting point for the first evening here. So after a couple of hours, fatigue and clouds finally drove me from the field. So in I went, for some hot soup and to watch some TV with Mary, who was snuggled under her electric throw. Thanks for coming along on this first nights abbreviated journey. It was successful, but I hope the next evening will be even better. :)

***(A reminder to visit the TSS Monthly DSO Challenge and post your results. Just create a new thread there in order to share and highlight your efforts on these objects. Link is here - viewforum.php?f=83 )
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 04 March 2021 - short but sweet

Post by John Baars »

Very nice session, i'd say.
The three of them ( M44, M67 and NGC2903) were my targets too yesterday evening.
I like your extensive descriptions of your targets.
Your quest for the string of galaxies in M44 was a bit mysterious and exciting. At least I never heard of them. Nice for us to join you and look over your shoulder.
Thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Your description of M67, which I consider a success just to find from my back yard, sound like a large formal banquet, elegantly laid out on a richly adorned table! For the little galaxies, the impression in my mind was one of peering below the surface of a lily pond and finding tiny secretive minnows that no one else knows are there. I enjoyed reading it all.

Thanks for the report and congratulations on the new observations! :)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:21 pm Very nice session, i'd say.
The three of them ( M44, M67 and NGC2903) were my targets too yesterday evening.
I like your extensive descriptions of your targets.
Your quest for the string of galaxies in M44 was a bit mysterious and exciting. At least I never heard of them. Nice for us to join you and look over your shoulder.
Thanks!
Thank you John. Glad that we were sharing the same view for a bit, though at different times of course. :)

I became aware of the line of background galaxies bisecting M44 several years ago, but never really made an earnest effort for them until this session. The key there of course is having enough aperture, dark enough skies and having a deep enough chart of the cluster's field. I made the chart I used to stellar mag 15.0 and studied the star patterns found within the cluster. I could then more easily utilize the cluster's stars to locate the galaxies situated between them The very loose structure of M44 is helpful of course.

I appreciate you coming along for the journey as it is always nice to have an experienced eye looking over my shoulder. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

MistrBadgr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:56 pm Your description of M67, which I consider a success just to find from my back yard, sound like a large formal banquet, elegantly laid out on a richly adorned table! For the little galaxies, the impression in my mind was one of peering below the surface of a lily pond and finding tiny secretive minnows that no one else knows are there. I enjoyed reading it all.

Thanks for the report and congratulations on the new observations! :)
Thank you Bill and I truly appreciate you coming along for the journey. It had been a long time since I'd taken a serious look at M67 and it was indeed beautiful and inspiring. I like your analogy of seeking the tiny minnows, who lurk in the darker areas of the pond out of self preservation. The idea of catching a brief glimpse of these tiny creatures is indeed the inspiration to be looking at all.
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice session Alan! It might be short by your standards but feels right size to me. :)

The spring is coming, soon I should be able to resume galaxy hunting at my favorite desert spot. Can't wait!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:53 am Nice session Alan! It might be short by your standards but feels right size to me. :)

The spring is coming, soon I should be able to resume galaxy hunting at my favorite desert spot. Can't wait!
Given how I feel at the moment, doing longer sessions is likely not a great idea anyway. If galaxies be had, then its a success!

Yeah, spring, which often means cloudiness and thunder storms here in the east. Hopefully I will get some opportunities. Good luck and thank you Andrey.
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice session, and great read, Alan! The good nights here in VA are few and far between!!

I did get out last night for a short time...and woke early this morning to check out Saturn, Jupiter, and Mercury.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:02 pm Nice session, and great read, Alan! The good nights here in VA are few and far between!!

I did get out last night for a short time...and woke early this morning to check out Saturn, Jupiter, and Mercury.

Dave
Thanks Dave and nice to see you on here. Yeah, we've had a bit of a bad run through February and hopefully things will settle down as we get into spring, but of course then we have thundershowers and those gusty spring winds. So we shall see I reckon. I hope that things are well there and everyone is healthy.
Alan

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Yup, you are a galaxy hunting machine, Alan... :lol: Even your "short but sweet" evenings are a haul!

Your descriptions are great; I feel like I'm right there with you. Kinda wish I was...

Hopefully no more tiredness from the COVID shot either. All the best to you and the missus!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:06 pm Yup, you are a galaxy hunting machine, Alan... :lol: Even your "short but sweet" evenings are a haul!

Your descriptions are great; I feel like I'm right there with you. Kinda wish I was...

Hopefully no more tiredness from the COVID shot either. All the best to you and the missus!
Thank you Mark. I am happy that you feel part of my journey as that is my intent. You would be most welcome to share an observing session if that could ever be arranged.

Well, yeah there is still tiredness. And a a bit of a low level headache as well. I was out last night for a third night and while I felt okay for the most part, even the two to three hour sessions seem more tiring than typical. Unfortunately on Friday, we heard from our daughter than she tested positive though her husband did not (then at least). Since they and our grandson are living with us until their new home is ready, we are concerned. Mary and I are heading back today and have rapid result tests scheduled for Monday morning at a local CVS. So we will know if we have it or not. Initially I wasn't sure if how I felt was purely related to the shot or a combination of that and actually having the virus. I guess we will find out. But if we are positive then I cannot get my second one for 90 days. If we are positive then we will stay at home to see how we do, but working with them to manage how we all move within the house to avoid close contact. If we are negative, then we may come back over here in order to keep our distance for a bit. So everything is kind of up in the air at the moment. Stay tuned! :doh:
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Wow, you really grabbed a great assortment of nice objects in Cancer. Thanks for another fun read and informative report Alan, and looking forward to reading about your next outing to the dark site soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I've done almost all of my galaxy observing at VRBOs and Air BNBs. Nothing like a warm rack and indoor plumbing after an observing session at a dark site.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:24 pm Hi Alan. Wow, you really grabbed a great assortment of nice objects in Cancer. Thanks for another fun read and informative report Alan, and looking forward to reading about your next outing to the dark site soon.
Thanks Marshall. We had three nights there, but as I am feeling a bit poorly, the second and third ones may take me a bit to write up. Hope all is well there.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:46 pm I've done almost all of my galaxy observing at VRBOs and Air BNBs. Nothing like a warm rack and indoor plumbing after an observing session at a dark site.
Agreed! Before, we used to rent a cottage over in that area, until we finally decided to buy a place there. It sure makes things nice. I can store the big scope and assorted accessories there, plus we have internet which gives us access to streaming services. It is peaceful and quiet as the county is the least populated in the state with no industry.
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Alan. I had a session in Ursa Major and Cygnus yesterday morning at 4:45. For some reason the neighbors' lights were off so it was a darker experience than usual, NELM about 4.5. Looked at the Owl, Surfboard, M101, and some other faves. Tried for the Veil but couldn't make it out.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Arctic
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arctic »

That string of dim galaxies in M44, intriguing as it is, includes objects that are likely beyond the reach of my 8-inch...
Gordon
Scopes: Meade LX10 8" SCT, Explore Scientific AR102 Refractor on ES Twilight 1 Mount, Oberwerks 15X70 Binos, Nikon Action Extreme 10X50 Binos.
Eyepieces: ES 68* 24mm, ES 68* 20mm, ES 82* 11mm, ES 82* 8.8mm
Observing: Messier Objects--110/110, H1 Objects-- 400/400. Hundreds of additional NGC Objects. Significant Comets: Kohoutek, West, Halley, Hyakatake, Hale-Bopp, McNair, Neowise. Transits of Mercury and Venus.
2017 Total Solar Eclipse

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:10 pm Greta report Alan. I had session in Ursa Major and Cygnus yesterday morning a 4:45. For some reason the neighbors' lights were off so it was a darker experience than usual, NELM about 4.5. Looked at the Owl, Surfboard, M101, and some other faves. Tried for the Veil but couldn't make it out.
Thank you Michael. It is nice when people turn their lights out for sure. Or if there is a power outage, with broader ramifications. :)
Arctic wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:43 pm That string of dim galaxies in M44, intriguing as it is, includes objects that are likely beyond the reach of my 8-inch...
The first time I tried for them was a few years back with the 12 inch. I was not successful. However, I feel that some of my problem then was that I got confused by the stars within the cluster itself. This time I was more methodical about it and while they were still quite dim, once I felt comfortable with the star patterns within the cluster it was easier. Of course 17.5 inches doesn't hurt in the least. :)
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

kt4hx wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:17 pm
helicon wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:10 pm Greta report Alan. I had session in Ursa Major and Cygnus yesterday morning a 4:45. For some reason the neighbors' lights were off so it was a darker experience than usual, NELM about 4.5. Looked at the Owl, Surfboard, M101, and some other faves. Tried for the Veil but couldn't make it out.
Thank you Michael. It is nice when people turn their lights out for sure. Or if there is a power outage, with broader ramifications. :)
Arctic wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:43 pm That string of dim galaxies in M44, intriguing as it is, includes objects that are likely beyond the reach of my 8-inch...
The first time I tried for them was a few years back with the 12 inch. I was not successful. However, I feel that some of my problem then was that I got confused by the stars within the cluster itself. This time I was more methodical about it and while they were still quite dim, once I felt comfortable with the star patterns within the cluster it was easier. Of course 17.5 inches doesn't hurt in the least. :)
Sorry I had a couple of typos in my post (since edited).
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N