Are visual observers a dying breed?

Let's see your reports!
Mark Moyer
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Are visual observers a dying breed?

Post by Mark Moyer »

I've only done visual. AP has interested me, but the cost keeps me away. Even if I bought a moderate rig, it would be somewhat dismaying comparing my results to those of a fellow club member who has an expensive set-up and gets phenomenal results (and was already getting phenomenal results early on in his learning curve). I like the idea of producing something I could actually keep. And, of course, you can see so much more with AP. Just as I'm attracted by bigger apertures, going AP gives you a bigger aperture in the time dimension so sticking with visual is sort of settling for what is technologically yesterday.

Wow, that's a surprising encomium coming from a visual observer!

All the foregoing notwithstanding, I very much enjoy visual. Part of the attraction is historical, I suppose: it's what I started with so I pursue it further. Part of the attraction comes with the challenges, but part of this ties in with the idea of understanding what I'm seeing and seeing different sorts of objects. Seeing an asteroid naked eye recently was pretty exciting for me. Simply seeing another galaxy naked eye I still find very very cool, even though it's not that tough and almost everyone has seen at least the Andromeda Galaxy. Seeing (through a scope) a quasar that is so distant that the light I'm seeing left it 11.5 billion years ago (such a huge percentage of the age of the universe, which is only 13.8 billion years old!) is simply mind-boggling (I'm referring to HS 1946+7658). This is much cooler to me than if I were presenting an image I made of it. Observing Trojan asteroids is likewise very cool to me. Seeing Hubble's Variable Nebula is an example of something that is very cool visually. If I were a decent astroimager, I could get much more detail, and that's definitely something in favor of AP, but being able to pick it out and pick out various details through the eyepiece adds that more direct connection that is an advantage to visual. Picking out so many galaxies visually, finding so many extragalactic globulars, trying but not being positive I was successful seeing Pease 1 (a planetary in M15), and watching NEAs slowly drift across my field of view -- these are just a few examples of the many things that are exciting to me where part of the excitement comes from the challenge but part comes from the idea that in some vague sense I'm 'directly' seeing it.

Sorry, Andrey, I guess I've gone off topic. Yes, most active members in my club are also APers (though not all). But while I see the attraction of giving up faint fuzzies in favor of sharp and detailed images, I'm quite happy where doing what I do.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Mark Moyer wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:41 pm I've only done visual. AP has interested me, but the cost keeps me away. Even if I bought a moderate rig, it would be somewhat dismaying comparing my results to those of a fellow club member who has an expensive set-up and gets phenomenal results (and was already getting phenomenal results early on in his learning curve). I like the idea of producing something I could actually keep. And, of course, you can see so much more with AP. Just as I'm attracted by bigger apertures, going AP gives you a bigger aperture in the time dimension so sticking with visual is sort of settling for what is technologically yesterday.

Wow, that's a surprising encomium coming from a visual observer!

All the foregoing notwithstanding, I very much enjoy visual. Part of the attraction is historical, I suppose: it's what I started with so I pursue it further. Part of the attraction comes with the challenges, but part of this ties in with the idea of understanding what I'm seeing and seeing different sorts of objects. Seeing an asteroid naked eye recently was pretty exciting for me. Simply seeing another galaxy naked eye I still find very very cool, even though it's not that tough and almost everyone has seen at least the Andromeda Galaxy. Seeing (through a scope) a quasar that is so distant that the light I'm seeing left it 11.5 billion years ago (such a huge percentage of the age of the universe, which is only 13.8 billion years old!) is simply mind-boggling (I'm referring to HS 1946+7658). This is much cooler to me than if I were presenting an image I made of it. Observing Trojan asteroids is likewise very cool to me. Seeing Hubble's Variable Nebula is an example of something that is very cool visually. If I were a decent astroimager, I could get much more detail, and that's definitely something in favor of AP, but being able to pick it out and pick out various details through the eyepiece adds that more direct connection that is an advantage to visual. Picking out so many galaxies visually, finding so many extragalactic globulars, trying but not being positive I was successful seeing Pease 1 (a planetary in M15), and watching NEAs slowly drift across my field of view -- these are just a few examples of the many things that are exciting to me where part of the excitement comes from the challenge but part comes from the idea that in some vague sense I'm 'directly' seeing it.

Sorry, Andrey, I guess I've gone off topic. Yes, most active members in my club are also APers (though not all). But while I see the attraction of giving up faint fuzzies in favor of sharp and detailed images, I'm quite happy where doing what I do.
You are quite on the topic Mark. Visual astronomy is fun on so many levels, but as SpungeBob says you have to use your imagination. It is not the faint dot, it is what that faint dot represents - 11.5 billion year-old quasar, and you seeing it with your own eyes.

I always enjoy reaction of people seeing Saturn for the first time through EP. I bet they have seeing beautiful detailed photos of the Saturn before, but in no way they have moved them as much as seeing it through the scope.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

If I am doing camera lens AP, I have a dual side by side saddle. I sometimes mount my Vixen VC200L and the camera next to each other. I point the scope at something interesting with a long eye relief eyepiece, point the camera at it's photographic target - sometimes the same thing. Then providing I don't touch the scope, I can do some extended visual observing of the object.

If I am feeling really energetic, I'll set up the EQ for AP and the 18" dob for visual. I expect this to be more common now that I am observing from the backyard.

Some larger brighter objects with complicated structures like the Orion, Lagoon, Tarantula nebulae, Andromeda and NGC 253 galaxies naturally lend themselves to this sort of extended observation, other fainter or simpler structures, less so. Extended study of an extended object, Jupiter, or a single area of the lunar surface can yield great rewards. The longer you look, the more you see.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Watching this thread with interest! Because I got back into the hobby after a forced retirement, I stared again visually. Sadly life and work have cost me dearly in both the "Seeing" and "Hearing" departments. Within a few sessions I stuck my Cell phone up to the EP...... The image sucked with a half-life....

Within a year I have graduated to (or regressed to) running the mount and a camera with a computer. About that time frame one of the Mods on the old site and an Admin here suggested pretty strongly that people who only did AP weren't a savy with what space is about. I have kept quiet about that offensive insinuation until today. For me, AP proved to be the opposite. The better I got at taking images, and my equipment improved the more I saw out there! My nature will not let me overlook why or what I image. Now about 1/2 my time is spent on researching what it was and why it is there,

I have a few regrets though! As most know, there are more camps of thought on what a good AP image looks like. So regret #1 is NOT bookmarking a link from a thred over at AF. It was a interview with a NASA image processor. He actually paid amateur APers q pretty nice tribute. LOL That tribute did however come with a warning!!!!! Which leads me to my second regret. A generally accepted rule of thumb is at the processing stage of a task, technique and art cross paths. As was stated above there are some that sanitize the snot out of their images, makin' 'em pretty, other get a bum rap for leaving what some perceive to be "Noise".

This is a HOBBY! Not a JOB! And as with everything in life you get out of it what you put into it. OR even want to get out of it. We aren't just talking about money here.

I could go on, and on.... but better stop the derail here!!!!
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

OhNo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 am Watching this thread with interest! Because I got back into the hobby after a forced retirement, I stared again visually. Sadly life and work have cost me dearly in both the "Seeing" and "Hearing" departments. Within a few sessions I stuck my Cell phone up to the EP...... The image sucked with a half-life....

Within a year I have graduated to (or regressed to) running the mount and a camera with a computer. About that time frame one of the Mods on the old site and an Admin here suggested pretty strongly that people who only did AP weren't a savy with what space is about. I have kept quiet about that offensive insinuation until today. For me, AP proved to be the opposite. The better I got at taking images, and my equipment improved the more I saw out there! My nature will not let me overlook why or what I image. Now about 1/2 my time is spent on researching what it was and why it is there,

I have a few regrets though! As most know, there are more camps of thought on what a good AP image looks like. So regret #1 is NOT bookmarking a link from a thred over at AF. It was a interview with a NASA image processor. He actually paid amateur APers q pretty nice tribute. LOL That tribute did however come with a warning!!!!! Which leads me to my second regret. A generally accepted rule of thumb is at the processing stage of a task, technique and art cross paths. As was stated above there are some that sanitize the snot out of their images, makin' 'em pretty, other get a bum rap for leaving what some perceive to be "Noise".

This is a HOBBY! Not a JOB! And as with everything in life you get out of it what you put into it. OR even want to get out of it. We aren't just talking about money here.

No offence to AP is intended OhNo! I appreciate the art of photography whether it is terrestrial or astro. I am just like an old sailor sitting on his sailboat watching fancy modern ships passing by and wishing that more folks would learn the ropes and navigate by stars and charts instead of GPS. You may say what's wrong with modern ships? or you can't stop progress, or sailing is naturally evolving to were it needs to be, or even that sailing by wind is still alive and kicking. All is true, but it is nearly not as alive as used to be. Just a sentiment. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Oh I agree, nothin' wrong with knowin' about your ROOTS!!!!! (PS I was an Arborist and a Farmer) :lol:
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

OhNo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 am Watching this thread with interest! Because I got back into the hobby after a forced retirement, I stared again visually. Sadly life and work have cost me dearly in both the "Seeing" and "Hearing" departments. Within a few sessions I stuck my Cell phone up to the EP...... The image sucked with a half-life....

Without seeing the original post by the admin, I can only comment on your quotation of its gist. I find the comment disappointing. There are some people like yourself who have issues with eyesight or physical disabilities or challenges that prevent access to an eyepiece for whom astronomy or EAA are the only way to engage with the hobby. That's great that they can find some channel of participation with which to enjoy the hobby. Others are tied down to inner city locations by work and family responsibilities. Should they not get enjoyment from narrowband imaging, rather sit inside and watch TV?

But even more generally, when referring to the average able observer, the comment remains disappointing. In processing AP, even a one-shot colour DSLR photographer like me, usually gets to, at least, see the three basic colour channels in isolation therefore seeing Ha(red channel) Nitrogen (green channel) and reflection nebulae(blue channel). I then apply this understanding of the structures to visual observation of the same objects.

This structural understanding is something lost to the visual only observer. I get a lot out of both forms of the hobby. I don't look down on those who choose one or the other. As you say, this is a hobby, not a job. There is no "statement of expectations," "role or duty statement." Just a requirement to enjoy whatever you do.

I have problem with my back, sometimes, setting up the big dob is just beyond me so I just do photography. It's not just the physical moving and assembly but also spending a night on the ladder that I can sense I won't cope. Sometimes I have been doing landscaping in the garden and I am just too tired. On these occasions, I can set up for photography and "take it easy," either sitting outside in a comfortable chair or going inside and lying down during imaging runs.

I'll go through periods, sometimes of months of doing mostly photography, then binge on visual. I have some friends who are keen visual observers. I enjoy doing visual on nights when we are all together, compare views through different instruments and eyepieces and to be honest, if they are around, I'm not going to get any photography done anyway. I also enjoy spending a whole night alone under the sky doing slow detailed observing of large complex objects or just sitting in a reclining camp chair, while the EQ mount churns out images, pair of binoculars in hand, scanning the heavens or naked eye meteor observing.

Plenty of fun to be had for everyone!

Cheers

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Location plays a huge party in what we do individually! Expectation and reality often differ, an least to new people.
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

I personally have no interest in imaging, strictly visual here, seems too much effort for myself, but I do like looking at others images, sometimes helps in my observations, especially galaxies and galaxy clusters.
Ivan
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

OhNo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 am About that time frame one of the Mods on the old site and an Admin here suggested pretty strongly that people who only did AP weren't a savy with what space is about. I have kept quiet about that offensive insinuation until today. For me, AP proved to be the opposite. The better I got at taking images, and my equipment improved the more I saw out there! My nature will not let me overlook why or what I image. Now about 1/2 my time is spent on researching what it was and why it is there,
Like Joe, since I do not have access to the comments you speak of, I can only comment based on your recollection. The AP vs visual thing has always been a serious point of contention for some folks. Most of these type of "my way is better than your way" discussions have some minor basis in truth, but those come apart when they are applied in a general broad brush sense.

I am a manual visual astronomer. Its all I've known and its all I am interested in. I've known some folks who use only go-to that know little to nothing about the sky, or the stars and constellations. They felt that it was unnecessary because the hand controller was all they needed. But on the flip side of that, I've known go-to folks who know the sky every bit as well as I do. Some of them will turn off those systems to do star hopping because 1) they enjoy that process as well and 2) they simply do not want to be solely reliant upon a system. Some automated observers understand that should their systems fail, either because of power source or mechanical failure then they can carry on and not have to scrub the outing. So to generally say that everyone who uses go-to is ignorant of the sky itself is simply a non-starter

In that same vein, anyone who feels that those who pursues AP exclusively do not understand the sky or the objects is simply tossing all those folks into one basket. It is true that some folks who pursue AP only may not educate themselves deeply about the sky and/or objects. They only want to shoot pretty pictures without having to waste the time (in their view) to really learn about the sky and its nature. Then again, you have those AP'ers who have a desire to be more dynamic in their approach. They understand the nature of the objects they pursue and they have a deep abiding love and knowledge of the night sky because they realize the fact that this knowledge enriches the experience.

There are those folks who feel that purely visual observers and particularly those that eschew any sort of electronic assist (i.e., go-to or push-to) are simply dinosaurs, relics of the past who are set in their ways, unable to change with the times. Being one of the old school, I silently smile at this mindset. While I am certain in some cases that may be true, perhaps they do not consider that the reason some of us prefer that methodology is more dynamic than what they might consider. First, using myself as an example, I simply love doing things that way. I find it a relaxing endeavor to moving silently through the sky in search of objects, confident in my knowledge of the stars and constellations. I also like the historical context of doing it the way that I do. I feel more at one with the greats of visual astronomy who laid the foundation for what we understand today. While I have the advantage of knowing where things are already based on their work, it still gives me a sense of camaraderie with the historical figures that I've studied and come to respect deeply.

So the generalities that one often finds in these kinds of discussions, such as:

--manual star hoppers are simplistic and stuck in their ways
--those who use go-to exclusively don't know the stars or constellations
--AP'ers don't understand the sky well or the nature of their targets

do not hold up well when trying to apply them as a broad brush description. Is there at least a small basis in truth to some of those stereotypes? Sure there is, just as there is arrogance among some of each group. There will always be at least a small amount of "my way is better than your way" mentality. We are human, and unfortunately, one of our human failings is to believe that how we do things is the only right way. But to apply those standards to everyone who pursues their interest in the hobby in their preferred manner is simply wrong-headed.

When I used to supervise people and training them in the job at hand, I would tell them, this is how I do things to get the desired end result. You can do it the same way or you can put your own spin on it. The key is that you reach the desired end. The main point is there is more than one way to an end, with some ways being more efficient in obtaining said end. But that does not mean if you use a different method than I to get there, that either of us wrong. In my view, the ultimate goal of the hobby is fun and education. As I am fond of saying, "the more fun we have, the more we learn and the more we learn, the more fun we have." The method we utilize to reach that goal is our choice. Whichever method you use to reach your desired end is the right one for you, whereas the method for the next person may be different. But that is okay and as it should be. So get out there and have fun learning all kinds of neat stuff.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
dylanodonnell
Earth Ambassador

Post by dylanodonnell »

Yes.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Not likely ;)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

The AP vs visual thing has always been a serious point of contention for some folks. Most of these type of "my way is better than your way" discussions have some minor basis in truth, but those come apart when they are applied in a general broad brush sense.
Reminds me of the frac versus Dob (or whatever) BS. I suspect I'll split the difference one of these days and try EAA.

(Actually, I did some EAA in the mid-70s at Adler Planetarium, but the technology then was akin to using flintlocks for hunting.)
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

dylanodonnell wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:11 amYes.
Never.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

John Baars wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:06 pm
Never.
I agree John.

I know that AP is very popular and I enjoy it very much!

AP is pretty much all that I have done the past few years, but I just ordered a small wide field scope (Sharpstar 61) and plan to move my AP gear (guider and focuser) to the small scope to image some wider nebula in a few months. I plan to set up the ES 102 APO for visual during the summer. I am really excited about that!
Of course, I will still be doing AP though!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:18 pm
John Baars wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:06 pm
Never.
I agree John.

I know that AP is very popular and I enjoy it very much!

AP is pretty much all that I have done the past few years, but I just ordered a small wide field scope (Sharpstar 61) and plan to move my AP gear (guider and focuser) to the small scope to image some wider nebula in a few months. I plan to set up the ES 102 APO for visual during the summer. I am really excited about that!
Of course, I will still be doing AP though!
The best of two worlds, way to go!

Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

Visual observing is so last century.

(Purely visual observer - beauty is best seen.)
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

Welcome to the forum Dylan. I doubt visual observers are a dying breed, I can look at thousands of images of say Orion or Eta Carina ( it seems these are the only objects most imagers image), but non compares to the beauty of these objects when viewed visually even through small scopes.
Ivan
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

kt4hx wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:21 pm The AP vs visual thing has always been a serious point of contention for some folks. Most of these type of "my way is better than your way" discussions have some minor basis in truth, but those come apart when they are applied in a general broad brush sense. I am a manual visual astronomer. ...
I know similar arguments from numismatics where one kind of collectible is denigrated by those who collect other stuff. Some time into the hobby, I attended a couple of "stump speeches" by Clifford Mishler former president of Krause Publications which served coins and stamps but also rare automobiles because the founder got into them, rock 'n' roll, and other markets. in his pitch for toleration, Cliff outlined the passions that all collectors share. I see these also applying to astronomy. Most of us amateurs are collectors. You probably know the programs sponsored by the Astronomical League.

All collectors pursue:
1. Completeness
2. Condition
3. Rarity
4. Value

Those apply to amateur astronomy, as well. Allow me to speak to Value. Whether you collect Hummels or Bugattis or you just sell your own labor on the open market, "value" is determined by the buyer. (The labor theory of value is a common fallacy.) For us, as amateurs who share our reports, the value to others is no less tangible. Often times, it is just knowing that a certain rare target is attainable and how it was achieved. The report here by NGC1365 on finding the quasar in Crater is a perfect example. I also commented on jkirkham's splitting of Regulus. When amateurs get into spectroscopy and variable stars and enter those into AAVSO and other databases, the value is all the more important.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

jrkirkham wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:38 am I am mostly an AP observer whose favorite style is visual. Now THAT sounds like a paradox. ... I seriously considered giving up. I was thankful that I didn't lose my vision, but it was too poor to do what I used to do with the telescope. Then I made the move to AP. ...
Well, yes, at some level, every instrument even binoculars is a transducer. Heck, if you are nearsighted and use eyeglasses or contacts for driving and stargazing, then that is a transduction, also. I commented above on numismatics. As a writer one of the parables I offer is the Egyptian priest who denigrates hieroglyphics because writing removes the need to memorize. You probably know that the Iliad for sure and Odyssey most likely were oral traditions memorized and recited. That is why they have key phrases such as "cow-eyed Athena" and "wine-dark sea" to serve as placeholders and markers as well as content. Now come these newfangled scratches that people memoriaze just so that they can actually abandon memorization and let their brains rot. Darn it all! Where are the good old days when a priest could recite prayers all day and night and never repeat?

That said, though, there is no arguing that people who press buttons and never learn the sky are missing a lot. (And there's much to said for the ability to memorize as a life skill.)

I would have to add -- and perhaps it is a different discussion -- that people who observe without knowing astronomy are also missing the point. The stars are pretty at any magnification. If you do not understand what you are looking at, you fail to gain the best and truest benefit of the experience. Just to pat myself on the back, last night (this morning 4:00 to 5:00), after viewing Ptolemy's Cluster M7, and Zubenelgenubi (Alpha Librae), I came in and read them up in Burnham's and then followed that with a few pages in a unversity survey textbook for the spectra of A and F stars. Otherwise, why bother?
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial