Observing Report for 07 February 2021 - chilly willy without the penguin

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 07 February 2021 - chilly willy without the penguin

Post by kt4hx »

Another opportunity (clear skies) arose at the dark site after the most recent winter storm had passed through. At home we had only a light snow fall, but at the dark site, with its elevation and cooler air, I was uncertain what to expect. Would I be doing some more shoveling of my observing position so I could roll the 17.5 inch to its normal spot?

The three hour drive over was mostly uneventful, the highlight of which was seeing three young deer gallop across the highway about 50 yards ahead of me as I was coming down off the ridge line into the valley. Traffic was reasonably light for an early Sunday evening and the skies had cleared out nicely. Upon arrival at our dark site house I was pleased to see that my previously shoveled out area was clear except for a small area where some fresh snow had drifted in. That was quickly dispensed with after arriving just prior to 1800 hours.

I quickly moved my gear out and did a quick touch up to the collimation of the scope. I then headed into the house to relax a little bit and layer up before heading out closer to 1930 hours. Stepping back out to a glorious star filled sky, I quickly aligned the RACI and Rigel finders with the main scope. I laid out the Interstellarum and Uranometria atlases, my notebook and pens. Next I pulled the eyepieces to be utilized this evening. Before stepping out I noted the temperature was a balmy 22° with light winds. Humidity was in the 60% range. Seeing was predicted be poor while transparency about average. My surroundings were quiet, except for the occasional car driving by the house, so it was time to submerge myself into the cold dark winter skies of early February.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 21mm (94xx, 1.1° TFOV, 4.7mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (198x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

(Treasure found)

Messier 35 / NGC 2168 (Gemini, open cluster, mag=5.1, size=25.0’, class=III2m):
NGC 2158 (Gemini, open cluster, mag=8.6, size=5.0’, class=II3r):
Easily seen with the naked eye, I quickly aimed my scope at this beautiful cluster. This was the first time out for my new Ethos 21mm so I wanted to try it out on this nice cluster before beginning my hunt. Easily swept up the cluster was a profusion of stars at 94x, dominating the 1.1° TFOV. Stars were many and tight, despite the poor seeing. Shifting the view just slightly to the southwest I easily picked up the small cluster NGC 2158 at the edge of the view. This diminutive beauty presented a wonderful counterpoise to M35 as I could keep most of the larger cluster within the view with NGC 2158 near the edge of the field. It was simply an amazing view in the Ethos and warmed my soul despite the frigid air and terrain surrounding me.

IC 443 (Gemini, supernova remnant, size=50.0’):
My first target was inspired by an image posted by member “ram” earlier in the day. Subsequently I see that Steve333 also posted one while I was out as well. The so-called Jellyfish Nebula is a supernova remnant that was discovered by Max Wolf in 1892. While I have found some magnitude listings (11th to 12th magnitude) for this object, these should be taken with a block of salt given the difficulty in calculating accurate visual magnitudes for large and very diffuse objects.

Aiming my scope at mag 3.5 Eta Geminorum I very slowly searched the field to its east using 94x and the 1.1° field of the Ethos 21mm. I did not expect to see anything extensive like the images show, rather hoped to spot the brightest section. After a bit, I suspected a somewhat large but very dim slightly curved bit of diffuse light. Dropping in the DGM NPB filter I was rewarded with this obvious slight curve of nebulosity. Ghostly in appearance, this small piece of the overall SNR was very obvious. It was perhaps almost 10’ in length and maybe 2' to 3' across. It responded well to the filter and I also picked up a very small knot of nebulosity detached from the main bit, near a field star. Trying the O-III filter, I found the view very similar between the two filters. After having affixed its location in the star field I removed the filter and could easily locate its dim presence without the filter. This told me transparency was at least pretty good this evening. (New)

NGC 2534 (Lynx, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.4’x1.2’, SBr=13.5):
Working on charts 13 and 23 in the IDSA, I filled the rest of my time in Lynx. My first target was this elliptical. Slightly bright at 94x, it was a small homogenous rounded glow. Using 152x elicited a stellar core from its center. It was more obvious but still fairly small to the eye. (New)

NGC 2521 (Lynx, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.2’x0.7’, SBr=12.6):
Located with 94x, this small oval sported a stellar core burning in the middle of its subtly bright disk. Taking a look at 152x and it was obvious in the field, though small. I detected a dim 14th mag field star off its eastern side. (New)

NGC 2488 (Lynx, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.4, size=1.4’x0.8’, SBr=12.4):
This small oval presented as slightly bright homogeneous envelope. Using 152x a stellar core was revealed and the galaxy was very obvious within the field. (New)

NGC 2497 (Lynx, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.4’x1.2’, SBr=13.5):
This object was swept up at 94x as a small and dim homogenous out of round glow. Taking a look with 152x, though dim, it was easy. An intermittent stellar core was also detected. (New)

NGC 2469 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=12.7, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=12.4):
Located 17’ northeast of mag 6.7 HD 64347 this spiral was a slightly bright small oval readily apparent at 94x. Even at 152x it remained a homogenous small oval that stood out well in the field. I tried for NGC 2472 about 5.5’ ENE of this galaxy, but at mag 15.3 it was unseen. (New)

NGC 2463 (Lynx, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.6’x0.6’, SBr=12.1):
About 7’ west of NGC 2469 and in the same field of view, I suspected this dim and very small dust mote at 94x. Using 152x I confirmed its presence but it remained weak visually. It was nothing more than a very small homogenous puff. (New)

NGC 2462 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=0.4’x0.3’, SBr=10.6):
Next was this little brighter but still quite small dust mote, which was picked up using 94x about 5.5’ west of the previous object. It was still in the same field of view as the previous pair. At 152x it was weak but still not difficult to discern. It remained diffuse and homogenous in appearance. (New)

NGC 2458 (Lynx, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.5, size=0.4’x0.3’, SBr=11.9):
Nearly 8.5’ WNW of NGC 2462 I went in search of this distant lenticular. Listed at about 636 MLY from us, this deep object was unseen at 94x. Using 152x it was intermittently seen as a tiny pip of light. Using 199x it was slightly more evident, but difficult to hold steadily as seeing shifted. (New)

NGC 2468 (Lynx, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.9, size=1.3’x0.6’, SBr=13.4):
Almost 16’ southeast of HD 64347, I only caught a suspicion of this lenticular using 94x. Trying at 152x I confirmed the presence of a dim homogenous oval with an 11th mag field star off its western side. Using 199x it was easier, but still a weak presence in the view. (New)

NGC 2456 (Lynx, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=12.7):
Found with 94x, it presented a small and dim oval that exhibited non-stellar central brightness. Using 152x it was more obvious lying next to a 13th mag field star, and exhibited a broadly brighter core area. (New)

UGC 4035 (Lynx, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.1, size=0.8’x0.8’, SBr=12.6):
Seen at 94x, it was nothing more than a dim and very small round mote. Trying with 152x it was more obvious but remained small and dim. A tiny concentrated non-stellar brightness was glimpsed in its core. (New)

UGC 3957 (Lynx, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.2’x1.2’, SBr=13.3):
Nailed at 94x it was a small round glow that was homogenous to the eye. It lay next to a 14th mag field star. Then at 152x I detected a dimmer field star (15th mag) at one edge that gave the illusory affect of elongation. Going up to 199x, I put a little more separation between the galaxy and the dimmer star which then returned its appearance to its properly round shape. (New)

NGC 2446 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.9’x1.0’, SBr=13.3):
At 94x I found this galaxy slightly bright and subtly larger visually. I detected some very dim field stars involved with its disk along the northeastern side. Viewing with 152x it was a nice oval that displayed a stellar core. The two stars involved along the edge were more apparent, which gave it a curious triple star appearance with the core. (New)

UGC 4074 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.0x0.9’, SBr=12.9):
I found this spiral brighter than I expected at 94x. Overall it was small and round and homogenous in appearance. When viewed with 152x it remained diffuse and obvious within the field. (New)

NGC 2505 (Lynx, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.2’x0.6’, SBr=12.6):
As with the previous object, I found this one a little brighter using 94x than I anticipated. Appearance-wise it was an evenly illuminated small oval. Its appearance really didn’t change appreciably at 152x other than it becoming more obvious within the view. (New)

NGC 2474 (Lynx, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.2, size=0.5’x0.5’, SBr=11.8):
NGC 2475 (Lynx, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.1, size=0.8’x0.8’, SBr=12.6):

This double system forms a tight pair. Viewed at 94x it presented a combined glow. Then at 152x and 199x I could resolve two tiny round glows in contact. At times I thought I could detect a stellar core within NGC 2475. (New-2)

NGC 2426 (Lynx, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.1’x1.1’, SBr=13.0):
Located with 94x, this elliptical exhibited a homogenous round glow that was small in extent and subtly bright to the eye. Using 152x it remained diffuse and small, but easily seen. A 13th mag field star lay just to the southwest. (New)

NGC 2429 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.5’x0.6’, SBr=12.9):
Just 5’ to the northeast of the previous object I located this dim elongated glow. It was unseen at 94x, but picked up at 152x. Small in visible extent, at 199x a possible stellar core was glimpsed periodically. A mag 10.9 field star was just off its southern tip. A second galaxy sometimes labeled as NGC 2429B, a mag 16.5 lenticular is immediately east of the southern tip of NGC 2429, but this very dim denizen was not glimpsed. (New)

NGC 2431 (Lynx, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=0.9’x0.9’, SBr=12.9):
This barred spiral was only suspected in its field using 94x. Confirmed at 152x, it presented a dim small homogenous glow. Going ahead to 199x it was more obvious within the field but remained evenly illuminated. (New)

NGC 2518 (Lynx, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.2’x1.0’, SBr=12.9):
Subtly bright at 94x, this lenticular was small and rounded in shape, and generally homogeneous in appearance. Viewing with 152x it was more obvious, but remained a diffuse rounded glow in the field of view. (New)

NGC 2500 (Lynx, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.6, size=2.9’x2.7’, SBr=13.6):
Easily swept up at 94x, this galaxy presented a somewhat large and bright rounded glow. Sitting between two field stars (10th and 12th mag), it had a smooth evenly illuminated envelope. Using 152x, it was a strong presence in the field and remained a bright homogenous rounded disk. (New)

UGC 4107 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.5’x1.4’, SBr=13.7):
Located using 94x, this face-on spiral appeared as a slightly large and very ghostly glow within the glare field of mag 8.2 star HD 64556. Using 152x it remained a low surface brightness homogenous glow. Using 199x it was a very obvious round glow though it remained quite diffuse to the eye. (New)

UGC 4052 (Lynx, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.3’x0.8’, SBr=13.1):
This galaxy is actually a merged double system that in images displays two tiny bright cores within the same envelope. Located with 94x I found it to be a slightly bright and subtly large oval homogeneous glow. Also observed with 152x and 199x, it was quite obvious within the field and slightly large in visual extent. It remained evenly illuminated with no hint of the dual cores of its two components. (New)

UGC 4051 (Lynx, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.6, size=0.9’x0.6’, SBr=12.9):
About 3.5’ south of the previous object, I located this small homogenous oval. While easily seen it was dimmer than UGC 4052 to the north. Viewed with 152x and 199x it was an obvious presence within the field, though it remained and even diffuse glow. (New)

MCG +8-15-5 (Lynx, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.7’x0.3’, SBr=12.5):
My last object was this small and dim spiral. Interestingly I found that it was mislabeled as MCG +8-15-8 in IDSA, which is actually 14’ to the northeast. Anyway, at 94x it was just glimpsed as a very dim dust mote. Viewing with 152x and 199x it was still a weak presence, but obvious as a very small homogenous oval. (New)

I spent about three hours outside and that was enough for me. I was back in my recliner by 2230 hours and the temperature outside was 15° (F). So, tucked under a heated throw with a hot bowl of soup on my lap, I was warming up nicely. Overall it was a very successful outing, and I really enjoyed using the 21mm Ethos. I believe I've found my new finder eyepiece for the 17.5 inch. I appreciate you coming along for my chilly journey though the celestial Lynx.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 07 February 2021 - chilly willy without the penguin

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Another great observing report and fun read of your latest trip to your dark site. It looks like another great haul of DSOs for your efforts despite the cold temperature. Thanks for another well written report from you Alan, and I am glad that you enjoy that 21mm Ethos eyepiece.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:09 pm Hi Alan. Another great observing report and fun read of your latest trip to your dark site. It looks like another great haul of DSOs for your efforts despite the cold temperature. Thanks for another well written report from you Alan, and I am glad that you enjoy that 21mm Ethos eyepiece.
Thank you Marshall. I admit, I am getting a little tired of these cold sessions. Starts wearing on these old bones! :)

Indeed, the Ethos 21mm is a fine eyepiece - for a price of course. It is quite large and hefty at 2.25 lbs, just shy of a full pound heavier than my 13mm Ethos. I received a $75 gift certificate for Agena Astro as a Christmas gift, so that at least took a little bite out of the price tag. I floated the idea of buying one with my wife and she lovingly gave me the green light! :smile: When I first got the 13mm Ethos I was concerned that the 100° AFOV might be problematic for my eye, but found that not to be the case.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent session Alan! I can picture crisp night sky, although I don't believe I would survive 3 hour session at 22F. That, and three our drive - can anyone be more devoted to observing?!

Sounds like Ethos are working nicely for you. Do you plan to add a couple at lower FL?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:17 am Excellent session Alan! I can picture crisp night sky, although I don't believe I would survive 3 hour session at 22F. That, and three our drive - can anyone be more devoted to observing?!

Sounds like Ethos are working nicely for you. Do you plan to add a couple at lower FL?
Thanks Andrey. Well I admit I am devoted to it, but perhaps to a fault in the eyes of some. I had considered going over earlier in the day which would have given me some time to kind of rest after the drive, but I stayed home to watch a college basketball game with the wife (our team Indiana University), which was worth it since they upset the #8 team (Iowa) for the second time this season. Then I decided on a whim to go ahead over. So I didn't get left until nearly 1500 hours. But at least I don't have to drive back home afterwards. :)

Actually, I don't think I will be getting any more Ethos. I have the 21mm then having the 13mm for the next step works very well for the big dob. After that the XW 10, 7 and 5. I feel I have a very solid compliment at my disposal. As good as the Ethos are, it is difficult to consider replacing the XWs. I will not state categorically that it could never happen, but for the time being, I don't see that being the case. :)
Alan

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Wow, grabbing the Jelly Fish is an accomplishment, I was going out tonight to shoot it, but the cloud gods spotted my preparations and moved in! Have you ever tried Simeis 147? I find it to be an order of magnitude, not literal, more difficult, even to image.

Good report,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

sdbodin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:11 am Wow, grabbing the Jelly Fish is an accomplishment, I was going out tonight to shoot it, but the cloud gods spotted my preparations and moved in! Have you ever tried Simeis 147? I find it to be an order of magnitude, not literal, more difficult, even to image.

Good report,
Steve
Thank you Steve. Truth be told, I am not a prolific nebula observer, as I tend toward galaxy hunting. However, with my success with IC 443, then I might have to take you up on your suggestion of Simeis 147 (Sh 2-240). It is indeed huge. It would be a case of picking up the brightest bits and pieces at best visually. Thanks for the suggestion, I will check into it more and give a shot when I have opportunity. I always enjoy a challenge. :smile:

https://astronomy-mall.com/Adventures.I ... e/s147.htm
Alan

MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Thanks for the great report, Alan! :)
What you write strikes me as if it is an adventure story about someone traveling through some deep exotic jungle, after something elusive and rare. Considering your various travels, that feeling I get when reading about your activities is not far from the truth, even if it is written from the adventures from your own yard! I enjoy following along with you very much.
Best Regards,
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

MistrBadgr wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:35 am Thanks for the great report, Alan! :)
What you write strikes me as if it is an adventure story about someone traveling through some deep exotic jungle, after something elusive and rare. Considering your various travels, that feeling I get when reading about your activities is not far from the truth, even if it is written from the adventures from your own yard! I enjoy following along with you very much.
Best Regards,
Thank you Bill, I deeply appreciate your kind comments. My intent is indeed to bring the reader along as I slog through the jungle of the universe (to use your impression) looking for dim and elusive galaxies. Admittedly, a great number of them look very similar. But as I am fond of saying, I observe with the mind as much or more than with the eyes. The contemplation of what I am seeing, how its light has traversed great distances and time to reach my eye in that moment staggers my mind. :)
Alan