Observing Report for 03 February 2021 - no brass monkeys were harmed during the making of this report

Let's see your reports!
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 03 February 2021 - no brass monkeys were harmed during the making of this report

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for you great report!
I was particularly interested in your observations of NGC 2392 an 2410, since I have observed them not long ago with a 6 inch telescope from the city. I like your detailed descriptions of them, it is impressive what one can see from a dark location with a 17.5 inch instrument. Please more of these descriptions of touristic city-objects! I have never seen the full splendor of Thor's Helmet with my humble equipment from the city, only a blurred illusion of a light background ; thanks for your observation!

Had to google the meaning / etymology of the brass monkeys, never heard of them. I suppose it was cold :lol:
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 03 February 2021 - no brass monkeys were harmed during the making of this report

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:28 am Thanks for you great report!
I was particularly interested in your observations of NGC 2392 an 2410, since I have observed them not long ago with a 6 inch telescope from the city. I like your detailed descriptions of them, it is impressive what one can see from a dark location with a 17.5 inch instrument. Please more of these descriptions of touristic city-objects! I have never seen the full splendor of Thor's Helmet with my humble equipment from the city, only a blurred illusion of a light background ; thanks for your observation!

Had to google the meaning / etymology of the brass monkeys, never heard of them. I suppose it was cold :lol:
Thank you John, and I am glad you liked the descriptions. To be honest, I observe so many dim and similarly looking objects in terms of galaxies, that the brighter showpiece objects give me an opportunity to be more expansive with my descriptions. While most of my time is spent on more challenging targets, tossing in a few bright things gives my mind's eye a reprieve from the dim fuzzies that dominate my time and allows my more creative thoughts to surface from time to time. :)

I figured some would not understand the inference of my sub-title and would have to look it up. I am glad you learned of that phrase and understand its humor. :)
NGC 1365 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:51 am Never heard the term before, had to look it up-LOL. Thanks for sharing Alan.
Thanks Ivan and glad you also learned a new way to describe truly cold weather! :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

As a follow-up to this report, I wanted to illustrate the detail that I noticed in the galaxy NGC 2543 in Lynx. The below image of the galaxy is from the SDSS Data Release 14. I stated that "There seemed to be two dimmer sections on either side of the core and framed by brighter ones at the outer edges." In the below image one can see that the core is framed by two fainter dusty areas between the two arms, which (as expected) display an uptick in brightness. I was quite pleased to find that what I saw through the eyepiece was indeed legitimate structure detail and not merely a case of averted imagination! :)

The opportunity to witness these kinds of details is precisely why I became a serious galaxy hunter decades ago. Now with having a combination of 17.5 inches of aperture located full time at a dark location, this enhances my motivation all the more.
NGC2543_-_SDSS_DR14.jpg
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Arctic
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by Arctic »

That was a great haul of galaxies Alan--and a nice, detailed report.

Unfortunately, we are in a bit of a cold spell here. -25 F air temp last night, plus a bitter wind, so no observing other than naked eye. Did manage a few quick astro-photos with my new Nikon D750 camera and a fast lens though.
Gordon
Scopes: Meade LX10 8" SCT, Explore Scientific AR102 Refractor on ES Twilight 1 Mount, Oberwerks 15X70 Binos, Nikon Action Extreme 10X50 Binos.
Eyepieces: ES 68* 24mm, ES 68* 20mm, ES 82* 11mm, ES 82* 8.8mm
Observing: Messier Objects--110/110, H1 Objects-- 400/400. Hundreds of additional NGC Objects. Significant Comets: Kohoutek, West, Halley, Hyakatake, Hale-Bopp, McNair, Neowise. Transits of Mercury and Venus.
2017 Total Solar Eclipse

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Arctic wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:02 pm That was a great haul of galaxies Alan--and a nice, detailed report.

Unfortunately, we are in a bit of a cold spell here. -25 F air temp last night, plus a bitter wind, so no observing other than naked eye. Did manage a few quick astro-photos with my new Nikon D750 camera and a fast lens though.
Thank you Gordon. Yeah, I complain about my cold but I know there are others, like yourself, that have to deal with real significant cold. That being the case I will gladly take what I get here!
Alan

MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Your brass monkeys may not have been harmed by your observing and report writing, but I bet they were pretty cold during the process. ;)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

kt4hx wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:08 pm As a follow-up to this report, I wanted to illustrate the detail that I noticed in the galaxy NGC 2543 in Lynx. The below image of the galaxy is from the SDSS Data Release 14. I stated that "There seemed to be two dimmer sections on either side of the core and framed by brighter ones at the outer edges." In the below image one can see that the core is framed by two fainter dusty areas between the two arms, which (as expected) display an uptick in brightness. I was quite pleased to find that what I saw through the eyepiece was indeed legitimate structure detail and not merely a case of averted imagination! :)

The opportunity to witness these kinds of details is precisely why I became a serious galaxy hunter decades ago. Now with having a combination of 17.5 inches of aperture located full time at a dark location, this enhances my motivation all the more.

Cool! :)

Looks like it has a big "S" stamped on it! We have the "Lunar X", "Lunar V" (I think?), and now we have a "Galaxy S!"
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

MistrBadgr wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:24 pm Your brass monkeys may not have been harmed by your observing and report writing, but I bet they were pretty cold during the process. ;)
Yeah, they were complaining a bit, but I gave them each a hand warmer to strategically place. :P
Alan

10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Hello Alan, I’m sorry to be so late responding to your report. I have been away from the forums for a while and now trying to get caught up on things. I always enjoy the observing reports and yours are always among my favorites. You seem to glide effortlessly through the constellations to find your targets and I always feel like I’m looking through the eyepiece as you describe each object. Someone wrote that you’re a machine and I think that’s a pretty accurate description my friend. How you can observe so many objects in such cold temperatures is nothing short of amazing to me. I usually hang it up when the temperature goes below 30! I had a few good nights early this month and got back on track with the H2’s and H3’s. I finally finished up Leo! I still have a lot of work to do in Virgo and Coma. Thank you for this very informative and interesting report. Each time I read your reports it inspires me to keep pushing on and I appreciate all you do for this hobby. I hope you get some clear “warmer” nights soon!
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

10538 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:03 am Hello Alan, I’m sorry to be so late responding to your report. I have been away from the forums for a while and now trying to get caught up on things. I always enjoy the observing reports and yours are always among my favorites. You seem to glide effortlessly through the constellations to find your targets and I always feel like I’m looking through the eyepiece as you describe each object. Someone wrote that you’re a machine and I think that’s a pretty accurate description my friend. How you can observe so many objects in such cold temperatures is nothing short of amazing to me. I usually hang it up when the temperature goes below 30! I had a few good nights early this month and got back on track with the H2’s and H3’s. I finally finished up Leo! I still have a lot of work to do in Virgo and Coma. Thank you for this very informative and interesting report. Each time I read your reports it inspires me to keep pushing on and I appreciate all you do for this hobby. I hope you get some clear “warmer” nights soon!
Thank you so much for your kind words Ed, and its very nice to see you on here again. When you said you have a lot of work to do in Virgo and Coma, you said a lot there indeed! Those two constellations alone embody what galaxy hunting is truly about. They are chock-a-block with galaxies of magnitude 13.0 or brighter with over 400 in Virgo and over 100 in Coma. Then as one steps fainter through the 13th magnitude and dimmer the numbers grow exponentially. In the richest fields one can find that they are doing more galaxy hopping rather than star hopping, making excellent charts a must. Particularly those that accurately display galaxy size and orientation relationships. I wish you good luck with your continued galaxy hunting and hopefully we will have a cooperative spring season. I look forward to your reporting my friend.
Alan