Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

In and Around Orion

Post by Graeme1858 »

We had a clear night in the SE UK last night. I set up at 5:30 just as it was getting proper dark. I donned thermals, tee shirt, sweat shirt, jacket (sleeveless) overalls, jacket (sleeves), snood, hat and gloves. Using NINA I Plate solved, Auto focused and Polar Aligned. Altitude was 13' too high but Azimuth was only 18" too West, I was happy with that! The plan was to run through the January DSO Challenge targets. So I captured the M35 and NGC2158 clusters first but then had to get the hair drier out and do the first dew clear of the evening! Alan's next targets were M78 and NGC 2022 but they were too low still. While I was waiting for Orion to rise over my neighbour's house I grabbed 10 x 240 second subs of Abell262. Seems the main group of galaxies were missing! So I sent my image to Astrometry.net and discovered that the main group is off to the top of my image! More research required next time!

Abell 262.jpg

My Darks and Flats don't seem to have calibrated properly! After clearing the dew again, I slewed to NGC2022. It's tiny! But it really is a thing of beauty, I captured another 10 x 240 second subs, hopefully I'll get something good from them.

Moving on to Brett's January Carbon Star Hunt after dinner, I grabbed NQ Gem, a lovely orange gem. While I was capturing 10 x 120 second subs I stood looking at the clearest night sky we have had for ages! I used to do a lot more visual than I do now but it is still a buzz to stand and look! The mighty Orion was now above the roof tops. I took in Taurus, Mars in Aries, Auriga and Perseus at the zenith, curve round Andromeda to Pegasus all below Cassiopeia. Picking out the locations of stars, galaxies and DSOs was a joy!

R Lep was not as red as I expected it to be, maybe the dome of the Medway Towns light pollution dulled it. Then to finish up I grabbed some V614 Mon which was above the roof now. I'll post those up in Brett's Carbon Star Hunt soon!

I was going to get some Flats and pack up because it was 9:45 and I had to get up at 5 next morning to go to work today down on the south coast. But the last target of the DSO challenge, M78 was now high enough to capture. I couldn't help myself! I framed up and captured 10 x 240 second subs.

I had darks for 240 seconds and 120 seconds images already so I just needed Flats and Flat Darks which in NINA is a doddle!

It's nice to spend all night striving to get that great image but it's also a lot of fun to roam about a few places on the same night too!

Right, I've got some processing to do now!

Thanks for reading

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: In and Around Orion

Post by messier 111 »

beautiful image , thx for the nice report .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Sounds like a great night Graeme, with a nice variety of targets.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:34 am Sounds like a great night Graeme, with a nice variety of targets.

Best night out for ages! :)

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Nice report Graeme!

Do some reading and try ASTAP for your platesolving in NINA, it's a lot faster!!

I'm getting way to old for 'sitting in the cold'. I bought a "mini computer" and mounted it on the scope so now I remote to my desktop and run everything from the inside. I miss being outside but my old bones can't do it.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.