Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Jupiter – Saturn conjunction marathon

Post by Graeme1858 »

algol1964 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:51 pm I too have watched the ever-narrowing gap between these two giants over the last couple of months. Now, on the cusp of the conjunction, we have been plagued with overcast skies here in SW lower Michigan!

Same in SE England too! Saw it last night though.

Welcome to the forum.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
a100171 United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by a100171 »

Terrible weather here. Again.

The sun shining through the clouds later this afternoon had me feeling optimistic, with the moon regularly peeking through the clouds. Got setup in case, but the weather went nowhere but downhill.

My luck of recent...
Attachments
I_Was_Ready_165410.jpg
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron , AVX, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. A fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400.
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

A wipeout here too. I'm glad we saw it last night, as I reported above. Here in Central Cal., we have this lovely winter Tule fog that comes up from the ground and cuts visibility sometimes to little more than 20 feet. I have at times had to drive with my head out the window looking down at the center line of the road. So today it didn't burn off until just after lunch. Beautiful blue sky. Hopeful. Set up the tripod at 4 this afternoon, walked back in to get the OTA and by the time I walked back out to the tripod, a big foggy cloud moved in, blotted out the sun, and the fog came up from the back field. So in 50 minutes we went from clear blue sky to 300-foot visibility.

:x :sigh: :crying-yellow: :crying-blue: :crying-green:
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi all. I couldn't find anybody to help me transport my 6" refractor to a local park where we could have a lot of horizon to work with for the conjunction. So, I pulled the scope all the way out to the very end of our driveway and here is the little window of opportunity that I had to work with at that position:
Conjunction WIndow.JPG
I did mark the magnetic north and true north conversion lines on our driveway to achieve a rough polar alignment. Before the conjunction, I did have some fun looking at the Moon (at 1st quarter phase). And, I did have someone come by and wanted to take a look. A few minutes later, I did a meridian flip and got ready for the conjunction. A few more folks stopped by and took a look too, but it was only a few minutes later that the planets went into the trees. DRAT! However, one of the last folks were a couple that I saw a few weeks ago when I was taking shots of the SpaceX launch with supplies to the ISS. We got to talking, and I told them about TSS, so they may join us. They went home to find a pair of binoculars to view the conjunction. I put everything away and came inside to enjoy the turkey noodle soup that I was also working on, which turned out very nice. Not a great report or any images from me, but I did meet a lot of nice folks during this outing.
PS. The 6" refractor scope used to be the easiest for me to take out and set up. But it sure seemed much heavier this evening. I must be getting really old. :lol:
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

12/21/20
Just came back from observing. Jupiter and Saturn were 6'24" apart tonight. Interestingly, I was able to resolve Saturn on the right from Jupiter with naked eyes. It seems that seeing was a ted better today, which helped. Also enjoyed the view in 80ED scope with XW 5mm EP (100x).

My family came to take a look. My daughter was a bit disappointed. Because of the media hype she expected them to sit on top of each other even in the scope. :lol: For me and my wife it was certainly close enough to be exciting.

Mars was not bad either. At 100x gibbous phase and a couple of dark features were resolved.

Ended up with half Moon at 100x.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
musiclucho
Earth Ambassador

Post by musiclucho »

Nothing but clear skies here in the San Joaquin Valley YAY!!! I wish the sky was a bit cleaner but nah...agriculture pollution.
At least I could see the planets and some bright stars again. I shot some pics with my phone and re did the thing in ol photoshop. I guess I am too rusty to go back to my sketching protocol lol.
Attachments
Jupiter and Saturn 12 21 2020.png
路易斯 LG
SCT 6" on a CG4 EQ mount. 8x50 RACI and RDF. 9mm X-Cel LX, 15mm Luminos and 40mm Omni.
Carton Lux 10x42 Binoculars.
My astro-adventures and sketches: http://pollutedskiesstargazing.blogspot.com/

A full appreciation of the universe cannot come without developing the skills to find things in the sky and understanding how the sky works." Alan Dyer

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

musiclucho wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:43 am Nothing but clear skies here in the San Joaquin Valley YAY!!! I wish the sky was a bit cleaner but nah...agriculture pollution.
At least I could see the planets and some bright stars again. I shot some pics with my phone and re did the thing in ol photoshop. I guess I am too rusty to go back to my sketching protocol lol.
Nice shot Luis! Good to hear back from you!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Makuser wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:09 am Hi all. I couldn't find anybody to help me transport my 6" refractor to a local park where we could have a lot of horizon to work with for the conjunction. So, I pulled the scope all the way out to the very end of our driveway and here is the little window of opportunity that I had to work with at that position:
I did mark the magnetic north and true north conversion lines on our driveway to achieve a rough polar alignment. Before the conjunction, I did have some fun looking at the Moon (at 1st quarter phase). And, I did have someone come by and wanted to take a look. A few minutes later, I did a meridian flip and got ready for the conjunction. A few more folks stopped by and took a look too, but it was only a few minutes later that the planets went into the trees. DRAT! However, one of the last folks were a couple that I saw a few weeks ago when I was taking shots of the SpaceX launch with supplies to the ISS. We got to talking, and I told them about TSS, so they may join us. They went home to find a pair of binoculars to view the conjunction. I put everything away and came inside to enjoy the turkey noodle soup that I was also working on, which turned out very nice. Not a great report or any images from me, but I did meet a lot of nice folks during this outing.
PS. The 6" refractor scope used to be the easiest for me to take out and set up. But it sure seemed much heavier this evening. I must be getting really old. :lol:
I am glad you have managed to see it Marshall. I know what you mean about the equipment. 150ST itself is lightweight for it size, but add mount and EP case and it is not a grab and go anymore.

gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

musiclucho wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:43 am Nothing but clear skies here in the San Joaquin Valley YAY!!! I wish the sky was a bit cleaner but nah...agriculture pollution.

Not in Fresno. As I wrote above we got hammered by the Tule fog. Couldn't see the neighbor's Christmas lights 100 yards away. It's now 9 a.m. and we're still at about 150 yards visibility. It doesn't look like it will clear before noon.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:56 pm I am glad you have managed to see it Marshall. I know what you mean about the equipment. 150ST itself is lightweight for it size, but add mount and EP case and it is not a grab and go anymore.
Hi Andrey. Add on the 2" dielectric diagonal, 2" eyepieces, 2 speed GSO Crayford focuser, 9x50 RACI finder scope, mount extension, and the axis drive motors, and you quickly add up a few more pounds. But I still love this jewel, even with the chromatic aberration on very bright objects. Like you have said, this instrument is a beautiful wide field keeper. :dance:
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

21 December 2020 (b).jpg
'
Last night was cloudy where I needed it least. But I was able to pierce through a little with my telescope to at least get the positions.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
murphcc1
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by murphcc1 »

Clouded over last night, tried tonight but cloud cover and seeing conditions were horrible except for about 15 minutes I got a glimpse of it with binos, looked like crap in the telescope no matter the EP used, tried getting some pics with camera phone and attachment but they were horrible cause of the conditions.
At least I got to see it with bino's but I couldn't even see the moons of Jupiter........ah well.......I'll just have to wait till next time...........
Meade 8" LX90 Audiostar
Nikon D750 unmodified
JASON 10x50 Binoculars
NIKON 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 12V Powertank

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

My lucky strike has ended. Clouds for the rest of the week. Can't complain though, I got 4 observing nights out of this conjunction.

John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

We watched the conjunction Saturday evening through this evening. We were rewarded with four straight fairly clear, and not too cold, evenings. The first three through the 6" apo, and this evening through the ED 80. I feel very lucky to see a conjunction that has not been closer for 397 years. The last very close one (1623) happened within 13 degrees of the sun. This one was about 30 degrees elongation, so probably the best in several hundred years.

https://sparky.rice.edu/public-night/jupsat2.html
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

I received a certificate from the Astroomical League for the Conjunction. The requirements were to record it (of course) with sketch, photograph, or other, and then to present the topic as an outreach. I did my outreach on a discussion board for fans of the works of Ayn Rand. (See here: https://forum.objectivismonline.com/ind ... n-of-2020/ )
Great Conjunction Certifiate.png
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial