John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Strongly changing weather conditions, glad to have a grab 'n go

Post by John Baars »

Past weeks the weather kept on changing. From bad to worse and back. So I had not seen the clearance coming. An hour before going to sleep I noticed it. I looked out the backyard door like I often do and saw the cristal-clear mighty constellation of Orion. It always takes my breath a bit away; the sudden encounter with the legendary hunter. So I was in doubt: Binoculars, grab-and-go or main telescope? Being a bit tired of the day ( recordings at my local observatory by a local educational vlogger)I decided for the grab & go.

It is a 102 mm f/14 maksutov, who's cooling issues had been tamed by insulation. Mounted on a good alt-az mount, provided with a RDF and a finder that had been adapted to my urban skies. A 18,5 X 50 RCA, with a 11 mm Nagler in it for 4.4 degree fields. Ideal for finding bright Messiers under Bortle 8 skies.( Moon!) The Baader Hyperion 31 mm eyepiece gives 45X and a ( vignetted) field of 1,3 degrees. My Leica zoom picks up at 78X and zooms to 157X with a 0.5 degree field. That is approximately the maximum the Mak can handle. Total weight 22 pounds, just enough to pick it up with one hand and give it a swing to the backyard, 20 feet away.

Orion was as beautiful as always. The Nebula stood out fierce, Trapezium neatly separated ( nicely done for a Mak 120 seconds after being put outside, in a minus 24 degree Celsius drop).The wings of the nebula widely spread out. 10 minutes later Rigel's companion was seen at 120X. Being so close to the Pleiades one would be crazy not to pay them a visit. Apart from their mythological story, that group gave me an extra dimension after reading Lucinda Riley's books The Seven Sisters. I came as deep as magnitude 11,7.

Eeehhhh......Sirius B? Nice bright, even an airy disc visible, but no Pup, of course. :D

On to the Charioteer, where three open clusters were waiting for me. A bit of a challenge finding them under my light polluted skies. Happily the finder did its work properly, they were detectable. No way a 8X50 finder would have shown them. They were all quite nice through the Leica eyepiece. In a small aperture I prefer M38 above M37. More brighter stars.... In a larger telescope I find M37 more impressive. Especially with the red central star in it. Final DSO object of the hour was NGC 2392, the Eskimo nebula. I admit, couldn't find it at first attempt and had to look in SkySafari how the star pattern under Delta Gem looked like again. After checking it was not a problem any more. The bright central part was hardly visible. I forgot all about M35...
Finally the Moon. I remembered the words of one of my fellow observers once: "On the Moon one can see more details in one glance than you will ever see in all your DSO's." :lol: I think he is right.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
AbbN
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

Re: Strongly changing weather conditions, glad to have a grab 'n go

Post by AbbN »

Great report! My ST80 and 102 Mak get used a lot in the winter because of the cold as they're permanently mounted on tripods - no freezing cold setup required :D

Abb
TELESCOPES: Celestron Omni XLT 120, Explore Scientific AR102, Orion ST80 Refractors; 8" Skywatcher Dob; Orion Apex 102 Mak; Coronado PST. LENSES: ES 4.7, 6.7, 11, 18 and 30mm 82° EPs; Baader 24mm 68°; Luminos 15mm 82°; Meade 8-24mm Zoom. OTHER: CG4+16" Orion Pier Extension; Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binos etc;
Bortle 8 :(
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Cloud cover here has been crazy variable lately too - clear to overcast to X% cloudy to clear in a matter of hours. I'm keeping my ST80 ready to go by the back door now. Got a little time in yesterday morning, but clouded out early today. Now it's mostly sunny.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice report John, and I agree with you on the whole grab and go. My little 60mm at f/6 is by the back door all winter. Somehow, lugging out my 10" into the cold doesn't seem as enjoyable as it was 5 years ago... :lol:

Hope you get some more time in and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A nice report John, glad you were able to get out for a quick look.
I do agree with your friend about the Moon as well :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report John, which I am noting again as the today's VROD! Hopefully folks will be able to replicate your observations this season!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice report and congrats on the VROD!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Successful session, great read! Congrats on the VROD!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi John. A great report with the little Mak. These are just amazing instruments for their size. It looks like you had a nice observing session including the moon. Thanks for your fun read report John and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>