Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Wednesday's Sun, Jupiter & Saturn

Post by Thefatkitty »

Greetings, mes ami (my friends), hope you're all good :D

I was going to post this yesterday, but I was tired. Tired to the point where I fell asleep, last time looking at the clock, at 8:33PM. I woke up at just after two this morning thanks to Mr. Bladder, had a quick look outside (clouds and cold), watched an episode of the X-Files and passed out. I didn't even set my alarm; thankfully I woke up at 7AM. And thankfully my job is such that I can leave here when I want, as long as it all gets done.

On that note, yesterday I had about 200 miles (320km's) in driving, plus the 15 stops. I got my sorry carcass out of bed at 5:30AM, and an hour later hit the road for my first call at sunrise; about 7:30AM here. It was supposed to be a sunny and clear day; big change from the humidity and snow the day before.

Knowing I might not make it back before the spot-filled Sun was too low on the horizon, I took my CG4 and C80-HD with me in the back of the cab in the truck, and I put my Baader solar filter in a Tupperware container for the ride.

Just after 11AM, I pulled the truck over on a sideroad in Heidleberg and took 25 shots of the Sun with the above-mentioned rig with my Canon T2i at ISO 400 and 1/640th sec exp. From left to right are AR2790, 86 and 85. The outside temp was 30F (-2C) and crystal clear skies with no wind. I gotta do this more often, especially now with Solar Cycle 25...

For whatever reason I can't do links to this from an image file or post it full size on here, so if you want to see it full-size, click here
Sun_02-12-2020-s.jpg

After that is was a short distance to my next call. Time to go see Brutus... This is a dog who does not like strangers. Probably why his name is Brutus. He's three years old, weighs in at 215 pounds (just under 100KG), and thankfully he really likes yours truly; especially since he outweighs me by 50 pounds (22KG)... The first time I saw him about a month ago, his owner informed me it might not go well. I said we'll see... I went in, he started growling, and I stooped down and didn't look at him, though I held out my hand and called his name. He approached, sniffed my hand (all this time I'm hoping I won't be a snack), the growling stopped, his tail started wagging and not a minute later he was washing my face; so nasty..!! His owner was amazed, and Brutus and I have been good since :D

My daughter has often said to me, "Daddy, you're like a male Snow White, everything four-footed so loves you" Well, not all, but I have surprised more than a few pet owners. And you have the few who are just going to hate you no matter what... :lol:

Yeah, so this is me petting Brutus. My hand, his neck. At that moment, he's more concentrated on his beef bone...
Brutus.JPG
Brutus2.JPG

I rolled in at just after 4PM. I was so tired and cold, more cold than anything. I lit a fire in the shed, and baked in the heat. I actually placed a milk crate just in front of the fire and literally put my feet up. Hot maple embers can so soothe your tired feet.. :D
fire.JPG

After that warmth, we had dinner. By then it was just after 7PM, and I took a look outside. The forecast was calling for rain and snow overnight, and already the humidity was building. Still, I could see Saturn and Jupiter setting in the west, and wondered if they'd both fit into the FOV of my 60mm Towatron. And what exactly is a Towatron? It's the marriage of a cemented doublet objective from a Tasco 55VTE with a cut-down tube of a Celestron Astromaster LT 60AZ. It's very grab and go, works well with all my lenses, and provides an almost 5* FOV. I have a lot of conjunction pictures with this scope; the Moon with Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Time to try for two planets...
Saturn_Jupiter.jpg

I know these two are going to be literally overlapping each other come Dec 21st or so (depends where on the planet you are), but I though to see if they'd fit in my 60mm FOV yet. Turns out they do. Not the best shot; lots of humidity plus they're both sinking low. And you can't expect much from a homemade achro that cost me my time and $35 in parts.
scope.jpg

After that I went to sleep; like I said before, at 8:33PM. I must be getting old... I thought I'd feel all refreshed this morning, but it took a few hours and coffees for that to happen. Now I'm ready for bed again :lol:

Tomorrow is Friday. TGIF. I hope you all have a good night/day!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Wednesday's Sun, Jupiter & Saturn

Post by messier 111 »

thank you for sharing, stay safe.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Great day and a great read Mark!

Sounds like a FULl day!

Man, I got tired just reading how much that you did! No wonder you crashed early.

On top of it all, you and Brutus are cool. Feels good, doesn’t it?

Take care and get plenty of rest. Its hard to do, isn’t it?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i like the conjuction image, i'd love if you could image that spot every night and make an animation of the planets moving paths over time till and pass the 21st :)
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shabadoo »

Nice! Thanks for the report!
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Nice, enjoyable post, Mark.:) That Frankenscope is awesome! Thanks for the great story.

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Fun post /24 hour-report to read, thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

I have enjoyed your report, Mark.
Thank you.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice shots and story Mark! I like in particular your shed with firepit, very cozy. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Hi Mark, I need to do that with my garage - feet up, warm up and imbibe a decent malt, or Bullet Bourbon, still I digress. Busy day and a great story, dogs know when they meet equals, and Brutus warmed to you. Great shot of the sun, and seeing that activity increase.

Sleep well when you get the chance Mark.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. Sorry to come in late on here. As usual, you have a great report and splendid additional photos too. I love the solar region in white light and all of the other photos too. Thanks for your great and fun read report Mark, and the kindest of regards to you, your family, and to Brutus who is also family.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great read! Thanks for sharing.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein